Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Great things are afoot! I was able to finally find spray-starch at a local grocery store. I ran out a few months ago and was unable to find any locally. I tried making my own but ended up with very inconsistent results - some spotting on some of my darker shirts that then had to be re-washed.

I've stocked up and probably have enough to last me through to the fall. Certainly won't let myself run out next time. I think that the brand that I had previously used has been discontinued which is why none of the stores were stocking it.

In other good news I had brunch with my son today and he's got a new job! Still driving forklift but at an auto plant now so a union position with good benefits. He starts tomorrow. He said that he was down to about $100 with all his bills paid up so the timing is good. In the current job market there's lots of jobs but I'm glad he's landed one now as I personally expect some sort of economic down-turn in the next number of months.

We talked about Easter Sunday and I expect that he'll be here as usual. Ham and scalloped potatoes are on the menu instead of duck. I'll probably make a rhubarb / black currant pie and use up the last of last year's crop. The rhubarb is already poking it's noses out of the ground in the garden.

He said that his cat is doing much better now as well. I took mine to the vet on Friday afternoon and he did well on his checkup. Even though he doesn't care for strangers it turns out that he's a sucker for a stranger with a tasty treat. His health is good - no change to his heart murmur but he's gotten a bit chunky so I need to start reducing the amount I'm feeding him. The vet gave me a guideline.

I did see my xW and OM out walking their dogs today as I was driving home. Didn't get a good look at them but I presume they're doing well. It does appear that my xW has a new dog - she lost the one she had when she left a while ago from what I understand. It was really a non-event to see them. I'm glad I don't run across them regularly - I think this is the first time I've seen them together in about 5 years. I've occasionally seen her in her car and once or twice him out with his dog but it's pretty rare even though they live on a busy street that I use regularly.

Pork cottage roll for dinner tonight perhaps with mashed potatoes and certainly fresh bread. I should be doing some extra cleaning this weekend as it's the first weekend of the month but I was late doing it last month so might wait until there's some weather where I can open all the doors and windows which won't be long. There's some sort of smell in my side porch that will need it to be emptied and a good scrub given.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
1 member likes this: bttrfly
K
kml Offline
K
Yay - that’s great that your son got a new job!

1 member likes this: AndrewP
D
DnJ Offline
D
So glad son found new, and better, employment.

Proposed Easter supper sounds delicious. Heck, all your meals sound delicious. Lol.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
1 member likes this: AndrewP
K
kml Offline
K
HBO Max has a new series about Julia Child you might like!

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
I don't have HBO - too many darned services out there and so little time. I did quite enjoy "Being Julia" which came out a few years ago. I often think about it when I'm chopping onions.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Originally Posted by kml
I don't have HBO - too many darned services out there and so little time. I did quite enjoy "Being Julia" which came out a few years ago. I often think about it when I'm chopping onions.

I introduced my husband to "Julie and Julia" last year and he was instantly in love. It is just one movie that you can likely find pretty much anywhere and it features a columnist who decides to cook her way through Julia's cookbook in a year. It was quite well done. Meryl Streep plays Julia Child in it. It is one of my favorites and as always, the book is even better. I have both the book and the movie. My husband has now discovered the old Julia Child series that ran on PBS years ago on one of the free streaming services we have and he watched them incessantly, along with a new show on (I think) Food Network called "The Julia Child Challenge" (or something to that effect). It is kind of a play on the book/movie that I mentioned above.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
K
kml Offline
K
too many darned services out there and so little time

True - although HBO Max is only $9.99 here and it does have the advantage that usually about once a month they have some movie that is new and only in theaters at the time that is usually something I or my son want to see anyway. Julia is a series and only on episode 3 right now, but once the series is completed, might be worth getting a free HBO Max trial just to see it - quite good right now.

K
kml Offline
K
Also HBO Max has The Flight Attendant which has a second season coming up soon and that show is really fun! Plus Hacks was also really good.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Spring is moving on. Still not nice enough to get the windows down and open although I did finally replace my old "widow maker" ladder recently with one that is both tall and strong enough.

There must still be elements of ground hog day going on - saw my xW again today as I was out running errands presumably running errands of her own. Her car is pretty unique so it grabs my attention whenever I see it. Given how rare it is for our paths to cross this is unusual. Certainly not something that was planned on either part though. 23 more payments to go.

I did get out to the local maple syrup festival today - it's nice that community events are starting up again. I think I was 1 of 2 attendees among the hundreds that was wearing a mask although the bulk of the volunteers were. It's seeming to be a non-issue. At the flower shop the owner wasn't wearing a mask although "F" was. I was in P's shop today picking up more bath bombs and also some spring / Easter decorating. She tried to get me into a discussion about various societal and environmental issues but I did my best nodding and being non-committal. She certainly has a strong passion for good causes. Something I admire but also something I would undoubtedly find tiresome to be exposed to regularly. I think she sees the world in a much more black and white fashion than I do.

I have the Easter Sunday menu planned. Roast ham, scalloped potatoes, rhubarb / black currant pie and fresh bread. I'm going to try a slightly different version of it for this weekend raising it today and then letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight. The recipe suggests that this will add more flavour. At the festival I was able to restock my supply of maple sugar which I've found lots of uses for. Not this time, but another I may try adding it to the bread.

I expect my son over for dinner as usual. I still find it weird that there has only been I think 2 scheduling conflicts over these sort of events in all these years. Nice that I don't have to deal with that. In many ways I think in hindsight that despite the trauma at the time that I've gotten off pretty light compared to many.

One more week of working from home and then back to the plant at least part-time. We've hired 2 new admin people to replace the existing staff both of whom are retiring within the next year. I'll need to be on site for the on-boarding and training. I'm presuming that they won't be reporting to me.

Well - time to get back to my laundry and cleaning. As it's the start of a new quarter I also do a backup of my computer files so that needs to be watched as well.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline
K
Sounds yummy!

ExH and I alternated holidays - but as the years go on, he drops out more and more.

Someday you’re going to make a great boyfriend for some woman who also likes maple festivals etc.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard