Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks all. I had a nice dinner with my son - he made us porkchops over at his apartment. It was good to see him and "the girls". I'm a bit worried about one of them, she seems to be moving slower than usual, but they're not young any more. I did suggest that he look at getting the girls set up with the vet clinic around the corner from him vs driving them all the way over here. I also picked up a few tips and tricks on how he made dinner - certainly some things to try. It seems to surprise people when I talk about what a good cook he is. Like me, he's not afraid to experiment and just "try things". He used to be very much a "follow the instructions as they are written" kind of guy but has grown more confident in many ways in recent years I think.

I had made a pie and took it over but we got talking and it completely slipped my son's mind to serve it, so he's eating pie all this coming week.

He also is crazy busy at work - he works in an ice cream warehouse so no surprise that this is their busy time of the year. He was pretty unhappy a few months ago and while he's not super happy, he seems more accepting on how things are. Like his mother, he "doesn't suffer fools lightly" and the antics of some of his co-workers was very frustrating to him - but he seems more accepting now. He and his mother are indeed a lot alike and they were pretty close. No clue at all on what sort of relationship they currently have - and it's none of my business.

Since I was driving over for dinner, I made sure that I was all caught up on things here so I did up tomorrow's paperwork for the plant, made my lunch and cleaned up the kitchen this afternoon. I also went out for a short hike at a local nature area and even remembered to dose myself with bug spray first. I'd forgotten my phone in the car when visiting my son and just left it there. There was one thing that popped up that I needed to deal with tonight for a load at 7:00 so fired up the computer to deal with that and figured I'd do a minor posting. I heard from my daughter a few times as well and got a "Happy Father's Day" from her today while I was out on my hike - plus a card in the mail a few days ago.

Happy Father's Day to all the other Dad's out there and special shout out to those Mom's who are pulling double duty.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Batten down the hatches everyone. For the past number of weeks prices on some of the very basic commodities I deal with are going up in price across the board. Our own company is being stretched thin because of shortages from other competitors is driving up demand way past our ability to produce. I have at least 3 orders on my books that I've had to push out because we just plain don't have the product to ship.

Our carriers are being pushed to capacity as well - getting a load out is becoming more and more of a challenge.

Funny - to me - aside. We deal with hazardous goods and will occasionally ship using carriers who aren't our normal ones. Yesterday's drivers were actually a cut above some. They backed up to the dock after only 2 tries although they had a spotter which is probably smart on an unfamiliar dock. We were all rolling our eyes though because mainly they were wearing sandals - which were certainly not safe enough for them to access the plant so we had to do all the loading and securing ourselves. They didn't have the usual holders for the hazardous placards but "did" have double-sided tape and knew what to do with the placards when I gave them to them. It took them 4 tries to get their back doors closed and we were all watching and commenting from the control room when they "finally" pulled out.

Work over-all continues to be very high stress. I'd hoped this week would be easier but no. I had a talk with the operations manager because some of the boundaries between what I had assumed was his job and what was mine have become very blurry. He agreed that - yes indeed - they are very blurry and we agreed that we need to work more tightly together to make sure that the guys are presented with a single plan on what to do for the day.

It doesn't help that things seem to be changing almost hourly. Our over-all boss is generally a great guy who really understands the business and the plant - he's just not a great communicator. You have to have a thick skin on this job as he will point out when you are wrong, even when you were following what you thought were your instructions the previous day. He's a micro-manager who is trying to let go, but in times of stress like now, he grips it all tighter. I got a message at about 10:30 last night pointing out that my loading instructions for the early loads - which were following the usual model - were wrong. And another one from 4:30 this morning that he'd called the plant to change those instructions. Sigh. Given the facts on the ground, he answer was indeed "more right" but it's frustrating to everyone.

He's in a board meeting today so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. The board should be fairly happy because profits are great, but we're bleeding staff and running the staff we have flat out. I've still not done my dishes from Monday night and yesterday was at the plant from 8-5 and then when I got home worked until 9.

Aaaannnyyhoodles - back to my original point. I believe that some significant inflation is going to be making it's way down the economy and it's going to be widespread.

---

In other news, I sent a note to the vet this morning to see if we can get the cat on to another food. I had to switch him because the hypoallergenic food he was on wasn't available. He tossed a few hairballs which I put down to the heat but is now flipping his cookies in a minor way daily. He's still active and healthy and the litter box indicates that things are moving along, but we'll need to change his diet back if we can.

I've got to check some of the wires and plugs - he chews on those as an attention getting strategy. Doesn't do it when I'm not around, but I noticed one of the plugs is fairly chewed up and will need to be repaired. The water-bottle plus cuddles seems to help. If I notice him getting a bit wound up, I try to give him extra attention which is much better for both of us then him getting a blast of water.

---

I was texting with a former employee last night. She'd reached out to me for a wellness check and because I'm sure she's rather lonely. She once described me as the best boss she'd ever had because I treated her as a colleague and not a woman. She's a couple of years older than me and has a good number of underlying health conditions and when the company she worked for (auto leasing) closed down at the start of the pandemic, she's hunkered down in her apartment with her cat and not been working. She's hoping to get her second shot soon and get working again. She's been single for quite a long time - her first love died after a long illness when she was pretty young, I know of one other where she was cheated on probably when she was in her 30s and there is maybe one other where she was taken advantage of financially and ended up essentially bankrupt. All quite some time ago - at least 10 years.

From the tone of her texting and a phone call we had a couple of months ago plus a few other things, I do wonder if she has a bit of a romanticized vision of our relationship. Difficult thing to navigate if so.

I did dream last night of another former co-worker - a very capable woman who many people underestimate because she's soft spoken - so perhaps things are stirring around in my subconscious. She's still pretty scarred from an abusive marriage and spent a bunch of years building her career and raising her boys. I know she had one very long distance relationship where they would vacation together once or twice a year that ended some time ago. She was a huge support to me, guiding me through the practicalities of divorce and related negotiations as did some others. It certainly was pretty effective in guiding my thoughts to have some high performing sales people in high stakes businesses assisting me with figuring out my negotiations.

Ah well - more than enough for now. I'm no longer intentionally writing on my past cadence, it just happened that way that I had some things to get off my chest.

Like others, I worry about the future of this little corner of the interwebs. It's been, in many ways, very good to me and I am grateful to the MWD organization and the volunteers for keeping it going. But as many have noticed, for many reasons, it's no longer the place it used to be. If it does go into the dustbin of time, I will be sad, but not shocked, nor upset. Sometimes things serve their purpose and then when the time comes, move on.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline
K
I believe that some significant inflation is going to be making it's way down the economy and it's going to be widespread.

Which is one reason I am still working to 70. I figure the best way to offset inflation in my retirement plan is to keep working longer. After 70 I may very well continue to work very part time, as even a small income in those years makes a big difference in retirement planning in an inflationary period. Unfortunately, the pension I get a portion of through my ex does not have COLA. So inflation will hurt that part of my retirement plan.

My one son revealed the other day that his father has paid off his duplex (really a triplex as it also has a small studio that he airbnb's out). Not a bad retirement plan, but at the same time my ex was paying off a 1.2 million dollar property in 12 years, he was crying poor to the kids and refusing to help same son with his last year of graduate school. I could have MY house paid off now too if only HE had borne an equal share of the financial burden for our kids after divorce. Grrrrr.

Can you get some kind of cord protector for the cat? I'm thinking plastic tubes with a slit lengthwise that you could slip over the cord. Does he need more toys to chew on? Maybe one of those automatic laser toys for him to chase around and wear him out?

The amount of time you are spending on your job seems unsustainable - it really seems like you need an assistant, or trainee, or to have parts of your job delegated.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by kml
Can you get some kind of cord protector for the cat? I'm thinking plastic tubes with a slit lengthwise that you could slip over the cord. Does he need more toys to chew on? Maybe one of those automatic laser toys for him to chase around and wear him out?
It's an attention getting thing, not a play thing. He only does it when and where I can see him do it. I forgot to pick up a new plug for the fan cord he's chewed - need to do some more basic temporary repairs. I really should play with him more as well. None of the cats I had before ever really needed the sort of attention he does, but there were always other cats around. Getting a second cat I think would be a mistake though although a local animal rescue charity that I support has a big crop of the cutest kittens up for adoption.

Good news though - I was able to get him his special hypoallergenic food on Friday and fed him small amounts. There was a hairball this morning - but a more normal one and he "is" shedding a lot. It will probably take a few days for his body to get back on an even kilter again too. He was quite happy with the change in the food and I made sure to only feed him a small amount at any time to start although he didn't gorge which is good.

Warm, sticky rainy day here in Upper Lower Middle Kanukistan. We really need the moisture and will need to jump back because the corn is going to just zoom out of the ground with the perfect growing conditions that will result. I won't be able to cut my grass or hang out my laundry this weekend but the grass will still be there when the sun comes back out and I own a dryer that still works decently - knock on wood. I also have 2 indoor clotheslines.

Posting today because I think I'm getting closer to being interested in dating - but still examining my motives carefully. This morning was a nice lazy lay in kind of morning. The kind of morning suited to having someone to share it with - one of the things lacking with my relationships with B and S. B would be gone every weekend to her cottage and S never stirred before mid-afternoon. So - nobody to go grocery shopping with, nobody to talk to about this, that and the other thing, nobody to be with and think that staying in bed can be a great way to spend a Saturday morning.

Lifted from CWarrior's thread
Originally Posted by CWarrior
Originally Posted by kml
Why oh why are you guys so attracted to crazy??? There’s women who really enjoy sex, and then there are crazy manipulative drama-filled bunny boilers who USE sex to hook you in to their drama. Think with your big head.

To be fair, maybe I'd be even more attracted to a low-drama, monogamous woman into sex if I encountered one. (:
I'll echo that men - at least men like me are attracted to "crazy". There's a "sparkle" and a "bon vivance" that many crazy people have. Take the lady who runs the craft shop around the corning. Despite my firm knowledge that she is as one other acquaintance describes her "a crazy psyco b....", she is still attractive to me. She has an intensity and passion that grabs my attention. And while it's usually said that "the hot ones are the crazy ones" - she's not all that hot albeit a handsome enough woman of middle age.

I was over to her shop this afternoon to pick up some of the local honey she'd just gotten in and some bath bombs (going to soak in the tub) and as usual, we had a very nice and rather animated chat. Politically we have some very fundamental differences (she is strongly anti-vax) although she appears to respect that I have different opinions. No clue if she is interested in me, or in anyone for that matter.

I have looked at the online-dating sites a bit but frankly am not interested at this point in putting in the effort that would require. I'm in no particular rush for anything. The fact that I believe that I will be getting my second vaccination within the next week or so removes that obstacle that was an easy excuse to hold back.

---

Had a fascinating chat on the Friday night happy hour zoom. It took a rather political turn as it can sometimes. For those who aren't from the "True North Strong and Free" many of us are struggling with the growing awareness of how horribly we as a society have treated the indigenous peoples of this land. Many Canada Day celebrations are actually being cancelled as communities feel that they have no right to celebrate given the more recent revelations. Thousands of dead children certainly catches the attention. Growing up in the 1960/70s I of course had awareness of what was going on, coloured by the common consensus of the belief that we were "doing the right thing". It would be disingenuous for me to suggest that I was not aware that there was harm being done although certainly I was not aware of the truly horrific extent of that harm. We are slower to face our ghosts than some, but I am grateful that there is at least, in this moment, an awareness. As someone of lots and lots of privilege, it's a struggle to know how to feel. Culpable, certainly. What to do about it is a large unknown.

Sorry about dragging this in to here - this is where having a partner would help - someone to talk to about this sort of stuff and even if there are no answers and I honestly don't know if I'm at a place to accept some of the more obvious ones about things like reparations, just being heard is a big help.

Anyhoodles. Time to switch my laundry around and run the tub and use one of my new bath-bombs. I am about 1/2 way through yet another re-watch of the complete Rocky and Bullwinkle series which is expected to accompany my ablutions. A couple of hours of work needs to be done in the office, we have a half-dozen loads going through the plant this weekend and some special orders that need to be planned out for next week. I have to time out emptying the tanks with the new loads coming in - assuming they come in on time - and go through the open order list and determine the priorities given that this will be a short week.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Politically we have some very fundamental differences (she is strongly anti-vax) although she appears to respect that I have different opinions.

What? Huh? Anti-vax is political? Politics has been worming its way into every corner of our lives and now is planting itself inside medicine. The largest mistake we can and are already starting to make is making medicine political. Nothing good can come from that.

But beyond that, how in the heck is being ant-vax political? If you believe it's indicative of a conservative Republican, how then do you explain that the black community, which is typically 80% liberal Democrat is not getting/is against vaccinations? The largest university system in my state is beyond liberal yet they are not requiring vaccinations for their students to attend campus this next semester. However, there are many religious schools who are more conservative than anything who are requiring vaccinations for students.

The terrible handling of covid is in large part because politicians with zero medical training or experience got their noses into it. Just ask family members of many New York nursing homes, who's parents and grandparents were forced to become exposed to covid positive patients when a political governor forced these nursing homes to accept these patients and put others at risk - thereby nearly insuring the spread to other residents. This was yet again a political move that should have been a medical decision. The boarders were closed from China - that was called political and racist even though it was the smartest thing we did early on.

Claiming that the china virus could not possibly have been an accident at a lab in Wu Han is how we politicize medicine rather than just "following the science" as was claimed.

I could go on and on but if we the people now see even personal medical choices as being political, we have little hope left. Just because this lady is anti-vax does not mean she has difference political beliefs than you - as medical choices are not political. People personal choices on this are all over the map with little rhyme or reason tied to political beliefs. What an interesting statement to make.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
G
G
Anti-vaxxing becomes political when people refuse to get one because they think “it’s the government trying to control them”

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ginger1
Anti-vaxxing becomes political when people refuse to get one because they think “it’s the government trying to control them”

Oh yes, she's as full of fruit and nuts as a well balanced breakfast. Deep state conspiracies and the whole deal.

On the other hand, she's been an effective advocate for the homeless, recently adopted a dog who has a lot of agression issues that was going to be put down, moved in to a place she's renting that was more or less abandoned for years and quite the eye-sore and with a lot of hard work and a bit of paint has made it a pleasant looking place. So big hearted, hard working, all qualities that I admire.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
I can't speak for all areas of the country or even anyone other than myself, but I get the sense that anti-vaxxing is politicized, particularly in my area, because a certain group of people tend to (as G pointed out) think the government is trying to control them. And, I think this extends from just Covid to regular immunizations as well. I'm from a deeply red state and "Trump 2020" is the rally cry for the vast majority of citizens. Again, I'm not trying to generalize, but it seems that a great deal of the people in that particular camp are the ones who are quick to be anti-mask and anti-vax. But, they also seem to be anti-vax in general when it comes to everything from childhood immunizations to the common flu vaccine. Currently, Arkansas is running at about 33% of total population being vaccinated (that number fluctuates a few percentage points depending on which actual source you look at). My evidence is purely anecdotal, of course, but many of the people I know who are vaccinated tend to fall along the more politically liberal scale while the ones I know personally who are screaming about vaccines infringing on their rights tend to the more conservative side of the scale. I have friends and family in both camps who are vaccinated, but the only ones I know who refused vaccination are in the more conservative camp. Does this make it political? Not necessarily, but just seems to look that way from purely anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, Andrew, beware of conspiracy theorists. But, if you find yourself drawn to one, my brother in law works for Reynolds so I can get you a good deal on bulk tin foil to make plenty of hats for you and your love. wink Take more time for self care and just puttering around the house. You are working too hard and I worry for you. I'm SURE you have seen that thing that gets passed around on facebook frequently about not putting too much time and stress into a job that will replace you before your obituary ever even hits the local news. It's ok to ask for help and to have down time, unless they want to start compensating you for all of that extra time you put in.......in which case, carry on and make that bank!

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Dawn70
unless they want to start compensating you for all of that extra time you put in.......in which case, carry on and make that bank!
Let's just say that my corporate role paid like a big city corporate role and that my work at the plant, while harder would normally pay less and H/R hasn't seem to have noticed - shhhh

It is interesting that with current times, like going through infidelity and divorce, you really find out a lot about people you thought you knew. My son agrees that I shouldn't date this woman just for the fact that she is a very "intense" person and that I would find it exhausting. She does continue to get more friendly each time we cross paths - although I'm also very likely a "safe" person. She did suffer a bit of isolation because of her attitudes which a number of others in the village didn't appreciate especially when she opened her shop in violation of the lockdown - which didn't last long.

I've been following along on CWarrior's story with some interest His very scientific approach and openness to feedback has created some interesting discussions. I know when I was first dating that I certainly was in the camp of "how do I get to the end goal of a relationship". Got quite a bit of booty in the process which while I may agree that there are women out there just like men who are fine with the idea of sex outside a committed relationship was in my case certainly a way to "seal the deal". Makes me certainly wary. I think a number of us get into dating looking for what we (thought we) had and don't want to spend time mucking about and wasting time on relationships that aren't going anywhere.

Not that I'm rushing along. The plant is currently in one of the COVID hotspots as is the only person who has suggested we get together for a drink and visit when we can. My own area has become a hotspot as well with a nasty outbreak among the homeless / addict community - yes, rural areas have those too. Any time I check OLD options, which isn't very often, I really don't find myself attracted at all.

Well - lunch time is over. Time to figure out tomorrow's loading.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
Anyone opposing a vaccine because the government is trying to control them is just nutty. I don’t see it as political but more just being out of touch with reality. Choosing to or not to get receive a vaccination is one thing. Government forcing everyone to get a vaccine is completely another. It should be a personal choice that looks a risk versus benefit it should not be forced. Remember, my body, my choice, right? For anyone over 70 or actually over 60 the benefits far outweigh any risks. For someone under 20 or maybe even 30 it may not be worth the risk - especially with the cardiac problems staring to surface in the younger age group. Uber 20 with significant medical issues is a different story but the typical teen is not at much risk if any. But it has nothing to go with control. Masks are a different story and now masks are all but gone yet not even a slight uptic in cases - even in places with low vac rates.

Thing is, let’s remember who the administration was that facilitated or at least did all they could to get a new vaccine out in record time. It was scoffed at by many. It was said it would never happen before the end of 2020 and maybe not for years. Yet it was the Republican administration that promised and delivered a vaccine in record time. How can they then be anti-vac? It makes no sense. If you’re against something you don’t do all you can to make it happen - you do the opposite. When you are against something you don’t do it - like the black community that I mentioned. So republicans fostered a vaccine but they are anti vac and long time democrats in the largest cities are not getting the free vaccine but they are all for it??????? C’mon.

People want to make everything political these days - EVERYTHING! I just don’t see it with vacs. There is no rhyme or reason to much of it. They are doing what they do because of their choices irregardless of their politics. Masks, lock downs, stimulus money… yes that’s political. Vaccines just are not as a general rule as I’ve pointed out. Again if anyone thinks republicans are anti vac then please tell her why they facilitated and promoted making this vaccine happen in world record time - at no charge - and then we’re the first to receive the shot!!! That’s not smart politics if it were politics which it’s not.

Back to the original topic, if this lady shows crazy tendencies I’d stay clear. If she’s anti vac because she thinks someone is trying to control her or change her dna or whatever that’s crazy thinking. It doesn’t mean she has different political ideals than you do. We really have got to stop trying to make everything political.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard