Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ginger1 #2917373 04/01/21 03:08 PM
C
C
Originally Posted by Ginger1
Cadet! Believe it or not, my kid is going to HIGH SCHOOL in September! And she is going to join the swim team. She would love to have you guys come cheer her on!

Sounds good.

Being that my daughter now lives in Clark, I think we will figure out how to work that out.

Of course the world needs to get back to normal in the next amount of years but I look forward to that too.

Me-70, D37,S36
Ginger1 #2917403 04/02/21 01:01 AM
U
U
I will root her on, too!!! And high school???? How the heck did that happen?

Ginger1 #2917426 04/03/21 01:00 PM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I know! High school! And yesterday was the first time she got dropped off at the mall with a friend for a shopping trip with no adults . I can’t believe this! Definitely growing up.

Last night ex came to pick up D from my house after a party. He had to come in and pee. He was definitely drunk as he pulled a flask out of his jacket ( his wife was driving). He decided to have a discussion with D in front of me about anniversary gifts and him getting her Mac book air for the titanium wedding anniversary or whatever. He went to to the bathroom and D 13 says to me “ I guess that’s why he is broke and can’t afford his half of my contacts “

They left and I just cried. And cried. I don’t know why. But I did.

I’m at work today and I’m fine. I’m happy I’m working this weekend, believe it or not. I’m off Monday and getting some testing done on Monday. I saw a doctor about my inability to lose weight. She took one look at me and diagnosed me with insulin resistance just by looking at my neck. Official diagnosis to follow after a 3 hour glucose tolerance test Monday. She’s a special metabolic doctor. It boils down to I’m pretty much going to have to eliminate carbs and sugar. My body can’t process them even if I’m in a calorie deficit ( which I’ve been doing for a few months now and sticking to it) but I have to do what I have to do. She was a really sweet doctor and we were talking about being a mother to teenage girls. She believes if I follow what the dietician says once we figure everything out, I have the potential to lose 40lbs ( I’ve never been that thin and I think I might look sickly) but hey, let’s see!

I’m trying everything to make sure my life is better. I’m putting my health on the forefront again. No one is going to take care of me, but me

Ginger1 #2917428 04/03/21 02:59 PM
K
kml Offline
K
A Paleo type diet works great for insulin resistance. Metformin also helps to improve insulin resistance.

kml #2917430 04/03/21 03:29 PM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by kml
A Paleo type diet works great for insulin resistance. Metformin also helps to improve insulin resistance.

Way back in the day when I was trying to get pregnant, and we had no clue that it was because of my ex’s infertility, I was put on metformin for PCOS in hopes of helping me to ovulate. It did a serious number on me. GI issues were baaaaaddd. I did lose weight for obvious reasons? Lol. But I’m definitely considering paleo. It’s a lifestyle change, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

Ginger1 #2917432 04/03/21 04:01 PM
K
kml Offline
K
Extended release metformin is usually tolerated if regular metformin causes diarrhea. You might try that. If still a problem, alpha lipoic acid, Berberine, and cinnamon extract capsules are supplements that help with insulin resistance. If you go to the Marks Daily Apple website and look at the success stories, you’ll see many people who reversed their type 2 diabetes with a Paleo diet.

My mom lost 30 lbs when she was eighty - pounds she had been trying to lose for decades - just by getting really strict about sugar. She used a glucometer for a few weeks to see what happened to her blood sugar after certain meals. White potatoes really made her blood sugar skyrocket. Her HgbA1C dropped from a sudden high of 8.4 to just 5.7 in just a few months with diet alone.

Ginger1 #2917434 04/03/21 05:00 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Ginger1
He decided to have a discussion with D in front of me about anniversary gifts and him getting her Mac book air for the titanium wedding anniversary or whatever. He went to to the bathroom and D 13 says to me “ I guess that’s why he is broke and can’t afford his half of my contacts “ They left and I just cried. And cried. I don’t know why. But I did.

That hurts to read. D knows Daddy values Step-mom more than her. I'm sorry she's going through this and you have to watch her go through this. His excitement about their titanium anniversary probably didn't help.

Originally Posted by Ginger
She took one look at me and diagnosed me with insulin resistance just by looking at my neck. Official diagnosis to follow after a 3 hour glucose tolerance test Monday. She’s a special metabolic doctor.

Yay! I'm glad you found someone who can help you. smile

It boils down to I’m pretty much going to have to eliminate carbs and sugar. My body can’t process them even if I’m in a calorie deficit ( which I’ve been doing for a few months now and sticking to it)

The concept seems strange to me, because people on forced diets (U.S. starvation experiments or concentration camp victims) always look very thin--but quantum mechanics also baffles me, and she's a qualified doctor. I'm not skeptical, just curious to read up later about how this works. I have found it easier to lose weight when I replace buns with salads and rices with riced cauliflower. When I splurge on carbs I make choices about what I really want!

She believes if I follow what the dietician says once we figure everything out, I have the potential to lose 40lbs ( I’ve never been that thin and I think I might look sickly) but hey, let’s see!

That would be a great place to be! "I'm down 30#. Do I want to lose another 10#?" (:

I’m trying everything to make sure my life is better. I’m putting my health on the forefront again. No one is going to take care of me, but me

I love, love, love this!

Ginger1 #2917439 04/04/21 03:10 AM
D
D
Just to throw in 2 more cents, from what I’ve read many of the GI and other side effects of Metformin go away on their own after a few weeks. I thought I might be up into the pre-diabetic range after suspicions my dentist had together with a few symptoms I thought I had and an over active imagination after a non-fasting finger stick of 145. I’m telling you this for a reason. I’ve never really had any issues with weight but had gotten to the top edge of the BMI for my height and for a short time into the overweight category. No one would consider me overweight. I actually thought I looked better, actually had a bit of a butt but also was getting a bit of a pouch. Anyhow the prediabetic scare has me go to diet soda, remove most breads, potatoes, rice, sweets, juices, etc. Time went quick and when it dawned on my that my pants were really loose followed by a look in the mirror and my butt had again disappeared and face seemed thin, I was shocked to have lost nearly 15 pounds without even trying. I’m back in the center of my BMI. Clearly the low carb diet works. Thankfully my A1C just came back at 5.4 so I’m not prediabetic - or if I was, the weight loss and diet change quickly solved it. I’ve put back in a bit more carbs and sweets in hopes of not losing anymore weight. A friend of mine had to go on metformin for actual diabetes mostly related to a Whipple and he though he is in Remission now for years, can’t put weight on no matter how hard he tries. He’s at the low end of BMI now. Again clearly this low carb diet thing works. Even if you go on metformin for 6 months to a year, you can come off again and may well get the side effects to diminish if you can just push through for a few weeks to maybe a month. So all in all, this could be great news!

As for your good if an ex, he just keeps showing himself to be the moron he is. He’s a kid who never grew up. He’s not an adult other than in age. Cant manage being a husband, can’t manage being a father, can’t even manage money so much that a 13 year old sees it. You just now need to see it. I was out on a date of sorts last night (long story) and one of the women in the group so reminded me of you - even looks a bit like you. Has a mouth on her for starters lol but pretty, 44, has been a nurse for nearly 25 years, seems strong, had an ex live in BF who dumped her and is scared by it. Her ex’s mother was with us and has a great R with her sons ex but not so much with her son. She knows he was not the guy for her, says she treated him great but is still really hurt by him leaving her. She 44 and a bit too young (and too alpha - she’s Sicilian) for me but otherwise seems like a great person and would be fun to go out with.

. Still I can just see how she thinks there’s something wrong with her so she can’t put herself back out there. Instead she’s thrown that part of her life into her dogs. What up with that BTW. I see more and more women who connect more with makes on 4 legs than on 2.

My point in all of this rambling is you are far more normal than you think you are. Your biggest challange is convincing yourself and putting yourself out there and not letting your past prevent you from your future. You have to keep acting as if until it becomes muscle memory. You have so much more to offer than many other women and guys do. You just have to start believing it. Dropping the weight you feel you need to drop will be another step in that journey.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Ginger1 #2917923 04/18/21 02:48 PM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well friends, my time here is done. i think it is for many. I think it is a chapter of my life I need to close.

I went on my mini vacay to visit my friend and I had such a wonderful time. It was nice being spoiled a bit too. I am never, ever, catered to, and it was super nice having such great hospitality, great fun, and catching up with my beautiful friend. I missed her so much

I'm just going about my life. work, taking care of child and home, having somewhat of a social life, fitting in exercise and continuing to take care of myself, because well, I am very important too. I am still lonely, crave partnership, but the lack of that doesn't define my life as good, bad, or happy or unhappy. I am not happy with that situation, but it doesn't make my life bad. It just is what it is. I am still enjoying other parts of my life. Because there are many other parts of my life. My lonliness for a partner is just one part. One day, when it;s meant to, that part will get better

and I will leave with an interesting story to share. A 70 year old coworker of mine, who is as healthy as a horse, very active, etc has been having trouble breathing for a few months. Very short of breath going up and down stairs. The doctors couldn't find a reason and thought maybe allergies or her asthma. She knew something wasn't right, pleaded her case, and it turns out she has multiple blood clots in her lungs. She was hospitalized for a day, anticoagulated, will be on lifelong anticoagulation, but is fine. Back to work the next day and living her life.
They couldn't find an explanation for the PE's. Except one. The SOB began after her second vaccine. The doctors due believe the likely cause was the vaccine. Her and I were at a coworkers housewarming party yesterday and i asked her "if you knew this was going to happen, would you have still gotten the vaccine?" And she said "absolutely" we have seen the devastation of COVID and she knows that every person who is vaccinated is closer to herd immunity.

Anyways, You all know where to find me if you wish. I wish everyone the best, but I feel like my time here is up after 13 years. That's a super long time I have to just keep going foward

Ginger1 #2917924 04/18/21 03:19 PM
A
A
((Ginger1)) - May you have a blessed future.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard