Apr 6/19-Divorced

Love the Sinner, Forgive the Sin.
DnJ #2914627 02/08/21 02:00 AM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Wow, is it cold!

This morning was -34C. I waited until the afternoon for warmer weather to see the dogs. Ha, it was -28C at 4:00pm. Oh well, that was the todayís high. So, I bundled up, feed and watered the dogs, and took them for a walk. Yikes! That wind was really blowing and the wind chill was terrible.

I started supper around 6:00pm. The large window by the stove looking out over the garden and yard has a thermometer mounted on the trim outside. When I started cooking it was still -28C. As the sun went down so did the temperature. 20 minutes later it was -37C.

I washed the dishes, as I usually do, to some music. Singing and bopping around to Donít Stop Believing by Journey. Oh, I love that song! My voice was echoing within the house. I sang loud and full, like who is going stop me? Lol.

After the dishes were put away, I fired up the stereo and played the song again - but, OMG, really loud! I sang/screamed the lyrics and could just barely hear myself. This new amplifier/receiver is awesome. A few more selections and back to quiet. Good thing I got no neighbours beside me. smile

Anyhow, thatís all for now. Didnít want to start a new thread leaving it blank.

Have a great night.

D

Now: Me54 XW51 S25 S23 S21 D20

Oct 8/17-BD, Moves in w/OM, Leaves Kids
Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Dec 9/17-Legal Separation
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

DnJ #2914628 02/08/21 02:10 AM
S
S
Holy moly, I can't imagine temperatures that low! I've never seen even a snowflake in my 32 years. For contrast, last night here it was 26C at 11pm!

chumplady.com
DnJ #2914630 02/08/21 03:05 AM
C
C
I am having some major snow/cold envy this weekend--it was 68F degrees here today. Let's see, I guess that's just a bit cooler than scout's temperature. My friend was just telling me her four-year-old daughter heard that song for the first time when it came on the radio while they were driving. "Are they on the road?" she asked. ("Streeeetlights, peooople...")

T: 16 M:10
BD 6/2019
DnJ #2914706 02/09/21 09:11 AM
C
C
WOWzers! D4 and I had our toques on this weekend and saw snow. Mind you it was 10,000ft above sea level but there were traces of snow/slush. It was a balmy 54'F/ 12'C up there.

The weather over here, I LOVE this time of year. Lows in the 60s and Highs in the low 80's (15'C - 26'C). My socks and pants appreciate being worn more too. And the hoodies.

OH DnJ Or shall we call you DJ ? kidding... LOVE that song. You paint such a great picture of you singing. I have to ask: was there a microphone?

Ps-Have you seen the documentary "Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey.". released in 2012, the musical saga of Arnel Pineda,. If you like their music, your love the journey the documentary takes you on....

Pss- My xh had a playlist he made during the first year of BDs. I discovered it by accident. We have one of those song playing devices in the house... any ways, I liked the playlist up until I knew he had an OW. I'll say this much, I don't like the song Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' as much... Thanks XH! It was literally a MLC playlist.

OH the wheel in the sky keep on turning... (I still like that one)

~Never Give Up ~
Mar BD
June BD
Dec Aow/xgf
Jan he wants D
Feb he flys2 ow
Mar returns stuck here C19 Lckdwn
Apr he leaves for work until Nov
Oct D FINAL 2020
Living MY Happiest Life Ever
DnJ #2914736 02/09/21 05:23 PM
E
E
Originally Posted by DnJ
I washed the dishes, as I usually do, to some music. Singing and bopping around to Donít Stop Believing by Journey. Oh, I love that song! My voice was echoing within the house. I sang loud and full, like who is going stop me? Lol.

After the dishes were put away, I fired up the stereo and played the song again - but, OMG, really loud! I sang/screamed the lyrics and could just barely hear myself. This new amplifier/receiver is awesome. A few more selections and back to quiet. Good thing I got no neighbours beside me. smile
D

Woke up this morning, read your thread, went to the bathroom and put the song on. Didn't know it but indeed a really nice song. Can't sing along yet as I do not know the lyrics, maybe better so...I think my children would put their headphones crazy

Me (44) EXH (42)
M:15 T:19, S17, S14 & S14
04/19 - 02/20 ILYB & OW1
12/20 - 11/21 OW2
10/21-01/22 Short awakening
02/22 Back in Lalaland - OW2 exposed - Divorce official
I let go
DnJ #2914758 02/10/21 03:27 AM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello Friends

scout - Ahhhhh. +26C. Oh thatís feel so good. Lol.

Wow, never seen a snowflake. Iíve got lots here. Iíll send you some. Haha

cardinal - Love the story of the four year old daughter hearing the song. Kids see things so wonderfully. Sounds like you would like some cold and snow. Oh, if I could Iíd make you such a deal for this cold weather. It be like me giving it away. Lol

Can - DJ was singing with no microphone. Time I was done my voice was hoarse and my ears were ringing. IT WAS GREAT! WHAT YOU SAY? I SAID IT WAS GREAT! YOUíLL HAVE TO SPEAK UP. smile

I not seen the documentary, I will make a point of watch that.

Eagle - Learn the lyrics. You and I will go karaoke style at some bar. Haha.

- - - -

What a couple of day itís been.

Monday started off -37C. The Prius started, but grumbled about it. smile On route to work, one of my techs called and we had a problem at a major station. The oil level in the equipment was getting very low due to contraction from the extremely cold temperature. I was still 30 minutes from work. As I pulled into my parking space he called back and told me the oil level reached too low which allowed air to enter the gas relay, which is use to detect gas build up from arcing with oil, which tripped the transformer off line. To the relay, this looked like an internal fault. This transformer feeds three substations, so a good portion of the city and two communities and a major customer were out of power.

Did I mention how terribly cold it was? At that temperature equipment doesnít operate all that well. During the restoration several, and I do mean several, problems cropped up. One of the high voltage circuit breaker that opened during the clearing of the ďfaultĒ got stuck half way during its opening. The mechanism was so cold and lubrication was gummy and solidified somewhat.

To fix the breaker we need to open the disconnects. One of the two disconnects broke, the bottom bearing broken and the linkage frozen solid. Had to get a line crew out to heat the bearing and force the disconnect open. Of course this all take hours, and out in that weather as well.

During this time more techs were topping up the transformer. This also had hiccups. The oil pump froze several times during use, and had to be thawed. The valves very frozen shut, hoses hard to unravel, and such.

Myself, I work mostly inside, coordinating the efforts of my staff. It is good to be the boss. smile It was a constant putting outs of fires all day.

We worked until 7:30pm. The breaker fixed and returned to service. The transformers back in service. The disconnect frozen open and unable to budge. I left it until the next morning taking a chance. It was dark, cold, and guys were tired.

I grabbed McDonaldís on the way home. Re-discovered how difficult it is to eat in darkness. Lol. Itís surprising when you cannot see the french fries, how many times you miss your own mouth. And the hamburg. OMG. I smeared my cheek, my nose, and finally turned on a map light in the car.

Got home around 9:00pm. Fed the dogs. Took them for a bit of a walk. It was so cold and the wind was crazy. (The drive home was the worse fuel efficient trip Iíve ever made in that car) Put the dogs back in the pen and went in. Used the downstairs bathroom and discovered that the water line was froze.

Spent the next while thawing out the line. Finally I went to bed - at 11:30pm.

Tuesday morning. Up at 5:30am. Groggy. And phone call. Another bank low on oil. Itís the sister unit to yesterdayís work. Kind of expected it, but had not time or resources to deal with it yesterday.

The tech who was on standby called me a little bit later, while I was eating breakfast. He had been called out and worked most of the night. Problems at four other stations. I got the details for him and he was heading home to go to bed. I finished breakfast and headed to work. Cold and windy again.

Another tech of mine called from a different station. This was a big problem. It is a very interesting tale of what happened and how we found out. However, in the efforts of brevity, basically the transformer broke inside and was arcing as it tried to feed the town and surrounding area. The load is about 7 MW. This kind of a situation cannot last very long as our protection devices shut off the transformer or it fails catastrophically. However, we got there and there was no relay targets or indication of why. So, we turned it back on. Wow! The noise! The flickering lights! A few moments of a mad scramble and we manually shut it down. The actual events, investigation, reasoning, and actions to get to that point took hours - kind of interesting facing such a sudden and unexpected condition.

I had a crew topping up oil in transformer. Another crew working on broken transformer. Another guy returning that broken disconnect back to service. A guy on rest time. And a guy sick.

The transformer required electrical testing to figure out what broke and how to fix it. In this weather that is a difficult and nasty job. It took many hours to get to site, clear and ground the equipment, and get testing. The problem was actually found really fast. The center phase was open internally.

So, the oil crew was diverted to drain a compartment so the others could open it an performance internal inspection. At 6:30pm we found the broken parts inside and the cause of arcing. Tomorrow we will remove the mechanism, rebuild it, and install Thursday, test everything and return the transformer back to service on Friday. Hopefully.

The oil crew did finish topping up their bank before heading out to this other station. By the way these stations were hours of driving time apart.

In afternoon another problem and I was out of guys. I had to call in two techs from the neighbouring work center. So many things on the go. So many phone calls and emails. What a day.

My tech that was repairing the disconnect. He got it fixed and back in service. He then called me tell me he was going for lunch and would call me after for the next job. I get a call 10 minutes later from him. He suddenly felt nauseous. Tired. Shaking. In minutes from fine to icky, and trying not the throw up in the van. He actually stunned himself when he realized he was sitting at a green light and trying to focus. He was pretty worried. I talked to him for a bit as he had pulled over enforce calling me. He sat for a few minutes and got worse.

I asked if he could get home or if he need help. He figure he could get home. I had him call me upon his arrival. When he called 10 minutes later, he was tired and had a headache. He called the health department, did the Covid screening tests, and was of course placed in isolation. He is supposed to go in for a test, but cannot drive or focus right now. I did offer to get him, and take him myself. He appreciated the offer but was very tired and was going to rest.

I called him three hours later to check in. I ended up waking him from his fitful resting his was doing. He was happy to hear a friendly voice and was pretty scare. He doesnít want Covid, and is worried what might happen. I assured him it will be ok. Told him he can call me anytime day or night, just like always. He is pretty sick right now.

So, if that is indeed Covid, oh boy, we are about to loose an entire work center to isolating and/or sickness. My work center is the largest one. Three times the size of the neighbour I borrowed staff from today. Back filling would require many guys from many places.

At 8:30pm we are finished todayís work. There are still other outstanding problems we have to attend to tomorrow, plus whatever might happen this cold windy night. I better get a good night sleep.

Tonightís walking of the dogs was funny. I filled their food bowl and check the heated water bowl as well. Oh no! The water was frozen. Darn. I attempted to pour out the ice but it didnít budge. So I carried the 50 pounds of ice and bucket to the house to thaw it in the sink. When I got to the house I though maybe there is just a layer of ice on the top. So I used the ice scrapper and bashed the ice a few times. Sure enough there was around 2 inches of ice and water underneath. I guess the heater couldnít keep up with the cold weather, or burnt out. I carried the bucket back towards the dog pen, not wanting to dump the ice and any water on the sidewalk where I was working - itís slippery enough already.

I set down the heavy bucket, took off my glove and scooped out the chunks of ice. Man that wind is raw and bare skin get cold in mere seconds. Gloves back on, I continued with the bucket back to the pen. Along the way, I sloshed the bucket and felt water drain down into my right insulated winter boot. Lol. Oh that is cold!

Oh well. Got the bucket in the pen. With water already soaked in it was damage done, so went for a walk. The wind was so bad we only walked for a few hundred feet down the drive and came back. Dogs didnít care. There is food and shelter and they are pretty happy hiding out all cozy in the dog house.

I go back inside. Undress, remove my now frozen boot, parka, toque, gloves, and hoodie. I go to the kitchen and rinse the left out dishes from the morningís hurried breakfast and put them in the dishwasher.

I go to sit on the couch and start to thaw out. Hmmmm. My right leg starts to feels cold. I touch and my jeans are wet, from butt down to sock, soaked. Lol. It froze so fast outside I didnít realize how much water I sloshed on myself. I had to change my pants and socks! Haha.

Dry cloths on. House nice and warm. And enjoying the evening.

Take care folks.

D

Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

DnJ #2914961 02/13/21 05:58 PM
G
G
At some point, you have to gather all your posts that describe your work and put them in one document and start editing your electric-supervisor (not sure of your job title) memoir of life in the far north. Seriously, I think it will be amazing. I mean, you could really just do a memoir of all of it, and I think there is a great metaphor there about faithfully restoring the lights over and over when the storm and the darkness keeps ripping it down, and how you did that with your family too. You have a lot to add to the world with your story and your perspective, you are a good writer and you have more than half the book written already with your posts here. Have you read Rick Bass? Reminds me a little of that. Or Wendell Berry. I'm serious about this!

I believe I will see the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord with courage.
Be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord.
DnJ #2915013 02/14/21 06:48 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good Morning Gerda

Thank you for the kind words. They came at a great time.

Iíve restored light from within the darkness for so many years. And the recent metaphorical parallel is not lost on me. Nor the fact that there is always another storm brewing. Peace is just the time between storms, and storms are just the time between peace. Neither is evil or good. Both are necessary and welcomed. Each has beauty and power and blessing within - always.

I very much appreciate your encouragement for the writing of a memoir. In truth, I would like to do so. My posts here are filling my desire to share and retell my lifeís story, and do fit in with my situation and my current time constraints.

Hmmm. MLC and the LBS by DnJ. Bringing light to the darkness.

What a week!

Solid days of work. Long hours of work and still an hour commute.

Get home at 10:30 pm. Dogs of course missed me, missed their normal feeding time, and needed some company as well. It is so very cold this past week. Still, at -37C, I bundle up, feed the dogs, and take them for a hike around the yard. Crazy windy, like -50C windchill. Dark. And such clear and brightly shining stars when the atmosphere is so cold. Get inside, have a snack, and fall into bed around 11:30pm. Up at 5:30 am, and repeat.

I had problems at eight substations. My entire crew was out working in the extreme cold. I also has two other technicians from another workcenter and two more from another one. All staff plus four more. That was a lot of phone calls and plates to keep spinning. There was still plenty of other things and problems that got shuffled back. Things that we would not normally delay, but this is not normal times.

I definitely was called upon for my years of experience. We were well into the emergency conditions and operating range of equipment. Actually had to make adjustments to protection schemes to keep the lights on. There was just too much load and demand for power. Of course with that comes risks.

One such risks is the mis-coordination of system protection. And an event happened in the midst of everything else. A routine fault in the town backed up passed the higher than normal protection and tripped off the entire station. Everything, the town and surrounding area. Same place with the broken transformer. Now we just faulted off the only other one.

The clearing of that overload produced a two huge blue fireballs that lit up the station - in the afternoon! Two fireballs because itís delta high side feeding wye low side, so two lines feeding the fault. The guys stopped working on the broken transformer and started to restore the one that is suppose to be online. Parts on the disconnect were taken from the ďbeing repairedĒ transformerís disconnect and replaced the melted ones. Settings were adjusted and load restored. Sounds easy; that was two hours of solid effort by 8 guys in some absolutely terrible conditions.

After the lights and heat were back on. Back to the problem at hand. Worked until 10:00 pm. Back the next day and one more. Late Friday, transformer back on line with station back to normal.

During that, obtain new parts for the disconnect we stole from. Fix the low side tie breaker - burnt out close coil and destroyed mechanism. We actually couldnít repair the tie breaker, it is just too damaged. So returning to normal required nonstandard procedures and figuring out expected low flows based upon estimated impedances so as to not lose the customers again. Itís already tricky enough returning load back to a freshly repaired transformer with everything working as it should.

It was close to just not working, which meant we would have had to shut off everyone, split the loads apart, and bring each transformerís load back on individually, one line at a time. Thankfully the inrush and back feed from paralleling the two power transformers without their tie breaker - for that is its purpose - was low enough with our higher than normal protection settings. It was a dicey situation, I definitely didnít want another fireball!

Along with all that, Friday at 4:00 pm, a breaker problem at a huge station and hour away. This station feeds many of the other stations which in turn feed a good chunk of the province around here. This station actually fed the one with the broken transformer. It is critical to get that breaker back in service, an outage here would be a huge blackout. So work happens until 11:30 pm, and crisis averted.

There was voltage problems, regulation problems, blown capacitors, blown fuses, failed/frozen batteries which means reclosers wonít and canít close and return load back on. We replaced quite a few damaged batteries this week. The loss of power, stops the battery charger and cabinet heat. It only takes a little while in these conditions for the battery to freeze and become defective. By the way these are like small car batteries if your wondering, not like AAA or C cells.

One of the customers who lost power, and there were many unfortunately, told me his house went from +23C to +8C in 90 minutes. A house, an insulated house. A wee metal cabinet doesnít stand much of a chance. Lol. And with all those cold houses demanding heat, turning the power back on causes a huge spike on the system. We were close to having to go around town and asking people to leave their heat off for a bit so we could bring things back on. Distribution fuses were overloaded and blowing. These were also upsized, a necessary and not great position to be in.

Needless to say, Iím rather tired. My weekend is being spent relaxing inside, cozy in the warmth. I have a snowdrift that is right behind my carport, which one dark and blowing morning I backed into. I didnít realize how deep it was. My all wheel drive Prius did excellent. Easily drove forward back into the carport. I took a different exit angle, rather than straight out, through the least deep part and pushed through the hard snow. The driveway has similar snowdrifts with similar paths, that are now really packed down. Lol

I was considering clearing the snow. It was -36C this morning. My tractor is literally drifted in with four feet of snow. The front bucket is buried, the snowblower is buried, and the drift is up both sides blocking shut the doors. I need to shovel out the doors to get in.

Yesterday, I took the dogs for a nice long walk. I broke out the insulated snow pants, and my better insulated matching parka. Usually I just go with my walking around lighter duty parka - like rated for only -30C. My boots, rated -100C, honest thatís the rating. A hoodie, toque, neck warmer, gloves and off we go. My hands and head were a bit cold, thatís all. Now, thatís bundled up!

The bigger dog kept stopping and chewing on her right rear paw. So bent down, to many kisses, removed my gloves, thawed her foot, and dug out the frozen ice and snow from within her foot pads. Poor girl. The lion getting a thorn pulled out of its foot flashed in my mind. Lol.

After, with her paw back to like new, she was ripping around again. Both dogs are full of kisses and loving the pets and attention.

Their heated water bucket, which I thought was burnt out, seems to not be. It is just so cold it could not keep up. After two days from my dumping water down my leg and into my boot, the water is still liquid. Yay! I couldnít get to a store to purchase a new one so this is most welcomed.

Another weird note. I lost my appetite for a few days. I feel fine. Just not hungry. Iíve got energy and not tired. All day yesterday, no food - except a salad a supper. Thatís it - a bowl of lettuce. Nothing else since Fridayís supper. I had coffee in the morning and wasnít hungry so I figured Iíd wait until lunch, which turned to waiting for supper. Which I still wasnít hungry or tummy growling, but ate a salad anyhow. Weird since I specifically brought up bacon from the freezer for weekend breakfasts. Today, no breakfast either, and of right now no lunch.

Iíve lost 6 pounds. Which is all well and good. Iíve been around 190 from a long time, after rebounding from my divorce diet that pushed me down to 173. Over the married years I bulked up to be 225, BD happened and 35 pounds dropped in days, down to 173 over the next weeks and months, then stabilized to 190. This morning 184. Iíd like to be 180, so yippee.

Anyhow, Iím pretty sure this is just some weird anomaly. I even bought some chips to have with a movie, and didnít even open them. Didnít feel like it. I am going to eat lunch - forceful as that may be. Which is pretty funny and as mentioned, weird - for me.

Hope all is well with you.

Maybe a nice can of soup, or stew. Letís go see what I can find.

D

Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

DnJ #2915016 02/14/21 07:56 PM
G
G
Re: memoir -- You have 40 days to cut and paste all the posts and read over everything to start to get ideas for the structure of the book, including today's excellent post. Also during that time you have to read Rick Bass and/or Annie Dillard (do you know her? You will love her work!) and/or Wendell Berry (I like "Gift of Good Land.") Due date, week after Easter.

Re: loss of appetite -- I will make you some cinnamon toast and sliced apples and a cup of hot broth. Maybe it's a remnant of Covid? Hot water bottle on sad stomachs is always good. Did you watch "That Sugar Film"? Pretty powerful for our love of naimmooooaandnanannna bars. I stopped eating sugar after I watched it. And you know I love sugar. I was like a heroin addict the first few days. Snapping at the kids, my cells literally gaping open with wanting that sugar fix. I am back to putting a little in my tea and always give up sweets anyway for Lent. Can't deny I see a difference in my focus, etc. And hopefully can get back down to 180 myself. Just kidding. 123. : )

I believe I will see the bounty of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord with courage.
Be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, job, Virginia 

Link Copied to Clipboard