Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
DnJ #2914524 02/06/21 07:37 AM
K
kml Offline
K
And for everybody else - if you lose your sense of smell or taste in 2021 its Covid until proven otherwise. Denial is a crazy powerful thing. If you get sick, dont sit there telling yourself its just a cold - go get tested. Many treatments are most useful early on. Ive just had two patients who didnt contact me until they were 6-10 days into their illness, even though they had been instructed to call me promptly if they became ill.

DnJ #2914525 02/06/21 07:43 AM
K
kml Offline
K
(And one of those patients hasnt answered his phone for two days now, I dont know if hes gone to the hospital or what but Im very worried about him).

DnJ #2914526 02/06/21 08:21 AM
K
kml Offline
K
The BBC website has a recent article about parosmia.

DnJ #2914536 02/06/21 02:19 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Good Morning kml

I do suspect I had Covid. I did get tested, once I was able to drive to the testing site in city one hour away. Boy, that was not a fun trip. Sick, shaking, and unable to get help. The local hospital, no hospital actually, would see anyone unless they were tested, had negative results, and were symptom-free. Until then youre to be isolating and not see anyone, it was impossible to get a ride. Well, not impossible, my kids would have helped I know, but I didnt want to risk them or put them in that position. An odd loop to be caught in. And the results of the loop once one can extract themselves: If you have Covid, isolate. Awaiting results, isolate. Showing symptoms, isolate. Negative results and symptom-free, then you can come to the hospital (at that point in time when you dont need too). Basically, if its Covid, stay home and get better; if it not Covid, stay home and get better.

I do recall a rather profound sense of dread while literally unable to even dial a phone from shaking so bad. I made peace with a few things over that time. Lol. Youre right denial is very powerful, as well as acceptance. Make peace with yourself.

My Covid test results were negative. I do think that was a false result, or mixed up one. S20s and D18s tests got mixed up and the testing site could not identify which result belonged to who. I think it was S20 who asked them what the results were, if they are both negative then who cares. S20 and D18 live in the same apartment. It just shows mistakes do happen and I may have been one of those who fell through the cracks.

I would like an antibody test or such. To know that I had Covid, or not. I do like accuracy, and being clear when communicating. I cannot just say Ive had Covid. But my free health care system does not spend money on frivolous things like testing what you might have had when youre already healed from it. Sigh, we do get what we pay for. Which is rather funny, since it is far from free, its income source is just taxes, not user fees. And Canadians are taxed rather heavily.

I do like your confirmation and opinion, which of course matches my guesswork. As symptoms go, this is pretty mild, the smell doesnt last long. I am figuring in time, events will become less and less frequent until one day I realize its been such a long time that I guess Im over it. Ha, now that sounds familiar doesnt it? Lol.

D

Now: Me54 XW51 S25 S23 S21 D20

Oct 8/17-BD, Moves in w/OM, Leaves Kids
Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Dec 9/17-Legal Separation
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

Love the Sinner, Forgive the Sin.
DnJ #2914539 02/06/21 02:46 PM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I should mention, that at the time of my illness and testing things around here were very new. Processes and policies were unknown and untried. We do have a much better handle on things now.

I finished a nice breakfast of three fried eggs on toast and cheese. Mmmm. Enjoying my coffee in the couch and was planning on shovelling the snow off the deck and such. I just looked outside the kitchen window. The sky is bright blue and clear, a gorgeous day, and it is -32C. What?!? Nope, nope, nope. Staying in for now.

My geothermal furnace is purring away ammonia-free and I am cosy warm. Maybe later Ill bundle up and venture out.

Lol. I was just about to press post, and the smell returned. Just moments ago. Im still experimenting and have been meaning to try something, but I cannot control when or where this happens. However, I was sitting here with my coffee beside me, so: Does this smell affect my taste? Well, apparently for coffee - no. Yay! My coffee tasted the same.

The weird smell lasted for less than a minute. Glad Im just smelling things that arent there. Imagine seeing things or hearing things that arent there?

Have a great day.

D

Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

DnJ #2914540 02/06/21 02:56 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by DnJ
I do recall a rather profound sense of dread while literally unable to even dial a phone from shaking so bad.
I recall being ill with a fever a few months after bomb-day. The feeling of being isolated and helpless was indeed terrifying. Looking back I know that I could have called either of my brothers who live nearby or a number of friends and cousins and help would have come.

Just like when I fell recently, laying sprawled in the driveway. How long before I am missed?

Anyhoo - Pancakes Pancakes - eat 'em with a fork! Pancakes Pancakes - don't be a dork!

Originally Posted by Swah

Lonely Girl Pancakes - A Single Serve Pancake Recipe

Prep time - 2 mins
Cook time - 5 mins
Total time - 7 mins

Serves: 1

Ingredients
Pancake Ingredients:
1/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp flavourless oil (I used sunflower)
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
Pinch of salt

Optional extras:
Maple syrup
1 tbsp shredded coconut
1/4 cup of blueberries
Ice cream

Cheats Berry Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup frozen berries
1 tsp icing sugar

Instructions
Sift dry ingredients into a jug and mix.
In a separate bowl (I just use a mug), whisk together the egg, milk and oil until combined.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until well combined. If using additional flavourings, such as berries or coconut, add now and stir gently to combine.
Lightly grease a non-stick fry pan and heat to a medium temperature.
Making this mixture in a jug will make it easier to portion out the batter make this to your preferred size. I made 5 pancakes about 10cm in diameter.
Cook until bubbles form on surface, flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.
Serve either with a garnish of extra berries and coconut and a drizzle of maple syrup, or see below for a Cheats Berry Sauce.

Cheats Berry Sauce Method:
Put frozen berries in a microwave-proof container, cover it with paper towel or a slightly askew lid. Cook on high for 30 seconds until hot and bubbling.
Add in icing sugar and whisk, combining the sugar and breaking down the berries into a sauce.
You can add a teaspoon of water and strain this if you want a smooth sauce, otherwise the whisk will sufficiently break the berries down to a thick and delicious sauce.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
DnJ #2914546 02/06/21 03:57 PM
K
kml Offline
K
Many people report a feeling of dread or feeling like they were going to die, even with flu-like outpatient cases. We know the virus can affect the brain and some of it may be healthy fear of the virus, but some may be due to the virus infecting the brain. Your olfactory nerve is pretty much a direct conduit to your brain.

Some zinc and B12 may help your olfactory nerve recover.

Yes, false negatives can happen - depends on the accuracy of the swab sampling, timing of the test, the type of test that was done. This symptom now pretty much clinches that it was Covid.

DnJ #2914547 02/06/21 03:58 PM
K
kml Offline
K
You should wait three months from the beginning of your symptoms before having the vaccine.

DnJ #2914570 02/07/21 04:13 AM
D
DnJ Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Had Mom over for dinner and watched The Midnight Sky with her. Second viewing for me. A really good movie.

Its chilly outside at -34C. Clear night with stars bright.

Andrew, thanks for the recipe. And the poem. Lol

Pancakes Pancakes - eat 'em with a fork!
Pancakes Pancakes - don't be a dork!

The question of how long until Id be missed is one Ive pondered as well. Work would miss me first and theyd be calling to ascertain my whereabouts. Thats all good, for now, until retirement. After that, I best be careful. smile

Thanks for the info kml. I do appreciate it.

D

Last edited by DnJ; 02/07/21 04:15 AM.

Me49 W46 S20 S19 S16 D15
M26 T29
Oct 3/18-W Files
Apr 6/19-Divorced

DnJ #2914595 02/07/21 04:57 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by DnJ
The question of how long until Id be missed is one Ive pondered as well. Work would miss me first and theyd be calling to ascertain my whereabouts. Thats all good, for now, until retirement. After that, I best be careful. smile
I did some research a number of years ago on safety options for staff who work alone. An issue with many of our drivers.

I used to use an app called Life360 to stay connected with my kids and so that they would get alerts when I left the house / got to work etc. It's astoundingly like an app I had mused about writing myself. In my case it would have been called "Are You Wearing Pants?" - so that when I left the property the kids would be alerted and text me to ask if I'd remembered to wear pants laugh

My daughter and son-in-law thought it was great for them as it was set so that when my son-in-law left work that his wife would be alerted and be able to get dinner ready etc. Much easier than the late afternoon texts of "so - when do you think you'll be done".

From a safety point of view a lot of the apps will do things like fall alerts too - certainly something useful for staff (and others) who work alone. Basically one of those alert call buttons but more fully featured.

There was an interesting project I saw a few years ago where a grandson wired his grandfather's socks up to the internet. It seems that his grandfather had dementia and a tendency to wander and this allowed his family to be alerted so they could check on him to see if he was ok. It was set so that when he put pressure on them by standing that a text message would be sent.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, job, Virginia 

Link Copied to Clipboard