Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
S
ScottB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It’s not about her, it’s about me. It’s about me feeling stronger, seeing her more clearly, and realizing what has happened here.

Back in 2014 I went through a horrifying time at work and was on the brink of depression. She was not supportive of me and when given the chance would say “I told you not to do that at work” as opposed to “how can I help?” In the heals of that she had an affair, which further destroyed my self worth (making it really hard for me to stand up for myself). Then after the affair, for three years she effectively black mailed me continually with threats of divorce and withholding sex. Control and manipulation were her hallmarks. She then accused me of these things as well as of being a narcissist (which more clearly defines her).

I hadn’t spoken to her in seven weeks about “us.” Hearing the things she said, how she tried to rip me down and control and manipulate me gave me clarity. I don’t want to be with someone like that. She is not the prize.

This may be a setback for reconciliation but this was a huge step forward for Scott. I feel like I’m finally getting it.

I’m free, I can do what I want with my kids, I can hang out with my friends the way I want, I can have friends over, I’m not under constant scrutiny. I’m not going back to that crap. I know i still need to recover and get stronger, especially when it comes to dealing with her, but I’m moving to a space where I can say that what is happening in my life is what i want to happen in my life. I don’t want to be with the woman i was married to. She’ll have to change if she wants me back. And if she doesn’t want to change, I’ll find someone else if I want to and I don’t think I will make these mistakes again.

My DB coach has been implying/asking, when is Scott going to say enough is enough. I think i understand what he was saying. I’ll keep working on it, but I’m feeling empowered.

L
L
Wow Scotty now this was a great post!

Why did you have to have one more conversation to get there. She’s had enough and you’ve had enough so hopefully you can D amicably.

I think you’ll find as the dust starts to settle that you were both at fault. LTM are tough especially when you don’t have the proper tools.

I’ve said this before many times “D has its challenges but it’s a thousand times better then being with someone who wants out”.

Hang in there Scotty B.

T
T
Hi Scott,

Originally Posted by Scott
She said that based on my behavior over the last several weeks that I was confirming her decision.. She asked me where I was at with the divorce decision.. She also said she thought my parenting was questionable and that she thought I was too focused on the kids being happy, and then she said that it was good that they were happy.

I see Ginger's point that by asking again after six weeks, you showed your STBXW you hadn't heard her "We're done", punctuated by both words and actions. At the same time, it's obvious you two weren't on the path to reconciliation, so I don't feel this was much of a setback. If this is what you needed for closure, kudos. I don't believe you're the same Scott who began here. I'm skeptical of her as the villain in this D, but I do see you systematically working on new relationship skills. The only negative of this interaction I see is what Ginger mentioned--your STBXW may act meaner in the near future to make her point clearer.

D
D
I’ve said this before many times “D has its challenges but it’s a thousand times better then being with someone who wants out”.

^^^
This

S
S
Originally Posted by ScottB
It’s not about her, it’s about me. It’s about me feeling stronger, seeing her more clearly, and realizing what has happened here.

Back in 2014 I went through a horrifying time at work and was on the brink of depression. She was not supportive of me and when given the chance would say “I told you not to do that at work” as opposed to “how can I help?” In the heals of that she had an affair, which further destroyed my self worth (making it really hard for me to stand up for myself). Then after the affair, for three years she effectively black mailed me continually with threats of divorce and withholding sex. Control and manipulation were her hallmarks. She then accused me of these things as well as of being a narcissist (which more clearly defines her).

I hadn’t spoken to her in seven weeks about “us.” Hearing the things she said, how she tried to rip me down and control and manipulate me gave me clarity. I don’t want to be with someone like that. She is not the prize.

This may be a setback for reconciliation but this was a huge step forward for Scott. I feel like I’m finally getting it.

I’m free, I can do what I want with my kids, I can hang out with my friends the way I want, I can have friends over, I’m not under constant scrutiny. I’m not going back to that crap. I know i still need to recover and get stronger, especially when it comes to dealing with her, but I’m moving to a space where I can say that what is happening in my life is what i want to happen in my life. I don’t want to be with the woman i was married to. She’ll have to change if she wants me back. And if she doesn’t want to change, I’ll find someone else if I want to and I don’t think I will make these mistakes again.

My DB coach has been implying/asking, when is Scott going to say enough is enough. I think i understand what he was saying. I’ll keep working on it, but I’m feeling empowered.

I hope this is true. All I know is that you were freaking out over your daughter wanting to stay with your W during the lacrosse game, and then the next post is following an R talk with her. (What happened with that, by the way.) I hope you're being honest with yourself here, but what I see is a poster that has been looking for a reason to have the "one more chance" talk for weeks, and I feel the feelings that her text about your D staying with her instead of going to the lacrosse game caused pushed you over the edge to do it. And you've convinced yourself it was the right thing to do, and are rationalizing it to us. I pray I'm wrong, but that is my observation.

M(53), W(54),D(19)
M-23, T-25 Bomb Drop - Dec.23, 2017
Ring and Piecing since March 2018
It’s about me feeling stronger, seeing her more clearly, and realizing what has happened here.

...she tried to rip me down and control and manipulate me gave me clarity. I don’t want to be with someone like that. She is not the prize.

Hold on to this with both hands and don't let it go!! Keep it close by when she reaches out - and she will!! Remember it when she temp checks. Don't share this with her. No more R talks. Just actions.

Know that some days you might not "feel" like this - but feelings are finite.

This is strong. Stay strong.

Last edited by 97Hope; 01/17/21 02:29 AM.

ME47 XH44, S28 S24 S19

8/17-BD
IHS: 1/17-2/19
D FILED (ME): 7/19
D FINAL: 10/20
M23 T25
OW CONFIRMED: 01/21

Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
O
O

Scotty, one of my wisest friends (who knows both me and my STBXW well) recently told me that in 6-12 months I'll be doing great because I'm a great guy who has some great qualities and is still willing to work on the things that need it. He thinks she on the other hand will not be doing so well, and even if she is, I won't really give a sh!t. Sounds like the same will apply to you.

Me: 41 W:42
T: 14 M: 11
S: 6

"What happened happened, and couldn't have happened any other way...because it didn't"
R
R

So this is where a deep down happiness should come from....especially the parts in bold. When you do have to interact with her, you can have a true sense of happiness and let that shine through because you know that you are free.

"What is best for my kids is best for me"
Amor Fati
Link to quotes: https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2879712
S
ScottB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I know I shouldn't re-explain this but here I go anyways.

Over the past years my STBXW has vacillated between "I want a Divorce" and "I want a Separation." When she moved out most recently and I asked her whether we were getting divorced or just separated she said, "I don't know, but I'm leaning towards divorce." That is why I felt the need to clarify 7 weeks later.

And again, she said the same thing. I get the feeling that in her mind she wants to see the divorce process through and then decide at the end whether or not she is going to go through with it or not AND she will go through with it, she just can't bring herself all the way around to say it.

Her personality is to delay and grind things out to force other people to make decisions. I imagine she wants me to finally make this decision for her or she wants an out, a way where she can point at me at the end of the day and say "See, Brad wanted this divorce."

Anyhow, I don't care. I don't want to play that game. I know I still have work to do; I'm still processing everything, but I'm getting used to having the kids less. I'm learning to appreciate my own time - though it still comes with challenges.

I am so thankful that she moved out and I kept the house, that has been huge for me.

On Wednesday I head to Florida for 5 days. She doesn't know I'm going but I did tell my son. When she finds out she is going to flip out. We'll see how I feel when that happens, I know I'm going to feel like I've done something wrong - I can't explain why - but I don't care. I get to make my own decisions now.
-----------------------
R2c - Thanks for highlighting those words of mine. I wrote that down. It is a powerful reminder.
OnlyBent - I know what you said to be true. I'm making my peace with it in my time.
Thanks 97Hope!
LH/DunnM - D will have its challenges; And I do agree its better than being with someone who wants out.

L
L
Hey Brad (oops lol)

I thought the conversation went she didn’t care but what let you choose so as long as you were clear you weren’t working on the marriage.

My ex wanted to legally separate and nest in the beginning. I said no we will divorce then. She filed a week later.

Truthfully you are just into this so the convo didn’t do anything but maybe give you more clarity. If she wants to stop the D she will. Until then keep moving forward.

I have to say you can’t blame her for her concern of you going to Florida.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard