Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
K
kml Offline
K
Which is a great argument for her to pay off her loan so it doesn't look like she has so much money!!!!!

K
kml Offline
K
Which is a great argument for her to pay off her loan so it doesn't look like she has so much money!!!!!

K
kml Offline
K
Sorry for the double post!

D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Scotch and rum are right out because of the fumes as is wine. It's a bad enough allergy that it could be fatal.

Oh, C’mon now. Is this something that S told you or that you actually heard from her treating medical professional? Certainly if true, she darn well better carry an epi pen with her every place she goes. Does she carry one with her at all times? I’ve treated some wicked anaphylactic reactions and yes they can be deadly. I’ve never seen a deadly reaction from odor. It’s always been directly ingesting the substance or being stung. I call BS on the mere smell of beer being deadly. Again, if she is one of these rare individuals that are extremely anaphylactic allergic, they are all hyper vigilant about not coming into contact and never go anywhere without 2 epi pens. Given all of her other crazy behavior I’m betting she’s greatly inflated this to control this aspect of your life just like she seems to want to control the other aspects - who you see, what you do, what you buy for your kids, etc.

Not that you are at all excited about or celebrating the death of S’s dad, but you do seem to be much more your regular self again the past few posts. If that doesn’t say it all, feeling a huge weight lifted when S leaves, I’m not sure what does.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline
K
Well, in the case of peanut allergies, just kissing someone who had eaten peanuts can provoke an allergic reaction. A true allergic reaction to alcohol itself (rather than sulfites or gluten or other things in the alcoholic beverage) are rare but not apparently unheard of (I had to research it because I've never seen that). If that's the case, and a true immediate allergy exists, I suppose that kissing or even inhaling the breath of someone with alcohol on their breath might cause some reaction that's less that full blown anaphylaxis but still uncomfortable.

As to whether her story of allergy is true or not, or whether she understands it correctly or not, should not really be a factor in any decision people around her make - people have died of anaphylaxis because the people around them didn't take their allergy seriously. Better safe than sorry. I might doubt her story or her understanding of it too but it wouldn't be my place to make a potentially dangerous decision about her health by ignoring her cautions.

K
kml Offline
K
And I agree with Don, the fact that you feel better with her out of the house speaks volumes.

B
B
actually K, not here. there's precedent for if the inlaws helped financially, then the ex is entitled to half the spouse's inheritance.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
K
kml Offline
K
So - if the husband's parents gave $5,000 to the couple to help them buy a house, and later the wife inherited a million dollars, the husband would be entitled to half a million? That doesn't sound right to me! I could see him being entitled to getting the $5,000 back though.

Certainly in a community property state like California, an inheritance is not considered community property IF it is always kept separate. But if you deposit it into a joint account or use it to buy property with both names on the deed you lose that separation.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The three youngest kids' Dad was divorced about 12 years ago and makes decent money. For a lot of reasons I can't see him wanting to reopen the agreement.

The guy she hasn't divorced is a blue collar worker and by all accounts is a fairly decent guy but poor with money. It's unlikely that he would go after anything. He doesn't pay any support. A matter of pride for S that she didn't ask for any either nor for a share of the marital home.

If I recall my own divorce correctly, after the separation of finances there is no liability for new debts and so I would assume new assets.

A key thing I think is if the funds are co-mingled. If S were to pay off my mortgage for example. Especially since we are in a financial union and this wasn't something she brought in from before.

If she were here the advice would probably be for her to dump me to protect her inheritance.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Is it possible? Certainly, as anything is “possible”. Is it likely? Not at all. As for the better safe than sorry, it’s that thinking that has killed an economy and completely disrupted lives for the better part of a year. But sticking with S having this deadly allergy, again I’d say the first way to follow the “better safe than sorry” strategy is with her having an epi pen everywhere she goes. If she does not do that, I’d say either it’s not that large of an issue or she’s not even taking the most important precaution and not allowing Andrew to have a beer should stop until she at least gets an epi pen.

As for the shellfish kiss, without a doubt I’ve treated some pretty significant reactions with patients who only were at the same table of those eating fish or simply from preparing fish along side the allergy patients food. It’s certainly a real issue for some. Of course there is a huge difference from being allergic to something and having an anaphylactic reaction to it. I just have to wonder if S has allergies versus anaphylaxis. Again, if she carries an epi pen with her wherever she goes I’d be much more apt to believe of the severity. Absent that, it’s far more likely to be an allergy - which of course can be nasty and uncomfortable but rarely deadly - sort of like other medical issues that are very uncomfortable to go through but only a small percentage of people die from. 😉

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard