Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
kml #2898739 06/28/20 10:37 PM
B
B
well, grandma came to visit, clearly.

anddddd. OMG that kitten must be completely adorable!!!! soon, soon you will get to see him. xoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2898740 06/29/20 12:38 AM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes he’s the cutest little bug, white fluff ball with his masque face and dark- tipped ears rail and legs.

And yeah, mom sent a message. smile

kml #2899081 07/03/20 07:15 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My sister just informed me that there’s a place near me where you can swim with otters. It’s expensive and obviously not possible during the pandemic, but we will be saving up to do that in a year or two maybe!

kml #2899194 07/06/20 02:35 PM
D
D
I clearly need new readers or maybe I should just actually wear the ones I have. I read your post originally as "swim with others" and I thought, wonder why that is so expensive. LOL Swim with otters, though, is super cool. I would totally save up for that. I was also thinking I live near several lakes and can swim with others for free anytime. LOL Lord, but getting old stinks!

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
kml #2899230 07/06/20 06:00 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
LOLOL yeah - no swimming with others right now in the pandemic either! But that is free wink

kml #2899244 07/06/20 07:17 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Very quiet weekend, we did grill some burgers one day and Tri-tip the next so we ate well. No fireworks visible from my place (normally I can see 4 different shows from my bedroom window). The most exciting thing we did this weekend was watch Hamilton. I did drop a couple bags of my mom's clothes at the Goodwill now that they're taking donations again.

I did get some new chairs for my patio table and put up the new umbrella I bought last year to replace the existing one, which finally reached the end of its life. The chairs I have had fabric slings which have disintegrated and I thought I would replace them but finally realized I was not getting around to that job, so found some cheap replacement chairs at Big Lots for $25 each (score!) and consigned the ones I have to the junk hauler pile. My job this week is to call the junk hauler as I have accumulated quite a few items - a couple of old barbecues, a old patio table and a couple of broken chairs, and now the four chairs that need replacing. The junk hauler I'll use is a "green" hauler who recycles whatever they can, so that's good. Next weekend I'll finish some repotting that needs to be done with some outdoor plants. I got some sun (I'm so pale I can hardly claim to have a tan but I'm not quite as blindingly white as before - trying to get a little Covid protection.) I also got some watering done in my backyard (front yard has automatic sprinklers but back does not).

Middle son is growing his client list and should soon be self-supporting, which is a relief. I have a lot of things which need doing around the house which I have been putting off for financial reasons but I will have to get them done eventually. New dishwasher, some minor plumbing jobs, need someone to fix the hole in my mom's old bathroom wall where she pulled the towel rack out of the wall when she was sick and fell. Also need a kitchen drawer repair. I'd been waiting for things to get better with the pandemic before having workmen in the house but there's no use waiting longer as things are not getting better anytime soon. CMM's cancer and this pandemic have definitely resulted in me accumulating a lot of things that have been unattended to, I'm trying to slowly get them done now.

kml #2899399 07/08/20 01:59 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Still healthy here although daily cases have more than tripled here in the last couple weeks. Some businesses are shutting down again. My business partner is facing a dilemma - her oldest son is getting married next month across the country - the big wedding was postponed obviously but a courthouse wedding will go in. It’s her first child to get married but it’s hardly safe to fly - she’ll need to quarantine once she gets back home before I coming back to the office. Tough choices.

We are trying to keep all the appointments we can as telemedicine visits. There are five of us in the office, and we wear masks around each other as well as the patients who do come in. I’m picking up a room-sized HEPA filter for my exam room this morning given the new concerns about fine aerosols, just in case. We are not seeing sick patients (my practice is consultative) and we screen by phone when confirming the appointments for anyone who has recently traveled or been sick or exposed. Still, I had a new patient cancel yesterday because she was on her way to get a Covid test. You never know when someone we are seeing might be in the infectious, asymptomatic incubation phase.

kml #2899419 07/08/20 03:58 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by kml
Still healthy here although daily cases have more than tripled here in the last couple weeks. Some businesses are shutting down again. My business partner is facing a dilemma - her oldest son is getting married next month across the country - the big wedding was postponed obviously but a courthouse wedding will go in. It’s her first child to get married but it’s hardly safe to fly - she’ll need to quarantine once she gets back home before I coming back to the office. Tough choices.

Tough choices for some - easy choices for others. Attending a bachelor party or getaway weekend... yeah, tougher choice. First or any child getting married? EASY CHOICE and one that could have 99% chance for huge regrets by missing it and less than 1% chance going and contracting covid - way less. Really, going to miss a once in a lifetime event for a child with the known low risk. Very sad. Memories they will never get back. And yes positive tests may be up - yet deaths are WAY down. My state of 5.5 million has not had a single death since before July 4th. Yet all we hear is how positive tests are up. Yeah people get sick. The real question is, how sick. And sick enough to pass on a child’s wedding? Not me. EASY CHOICE.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
kml #2899422 07/08/20 04:55 PM
P
P
I flew last week and was pleasantly surprised with the experience. Felt quite safe and I don't think I saw many people breaking the rules. I would be totally comfortable flying again.

kml #2899443 07/08/20 06:52 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Deaths are not down in my city at all. Expecting to see them spike in another 2-4 weeks as deaths lag behind new cases. Hospitalizations have already increased by 60% in past month. ICU patients are being shuffled around the city as hospital ICU beds fill up.

Flying presents a problem because most major airlines are no longer trying to distance flyers from each other (no more empty middle seats) and it's really easy for aerosols and droplets to spread to people seated nearby. Universal mask wearing should significantly reduce that risk but it only takes one infected jerk not wearing a mask to change the equation in your immediate few rows. Also on a cross country flight people will have to eat and drink so will not be wearing masks all the time. A scientific study on the subject notes:
"A total of 40 flights have been investigated for carrying SARS-infected passengers. Five of these flights have been associated with probable on-board transmission of SARS in 37 passengers. Most of those passengers were seated within five rows of the index case. One 3-hour flight carrying 120 passengers travelling from Hong Kong to Beijing on March 15, 2003,31 began a superspreading event accounting for 22 of the 37 people who contracted SARS after air travel"
Although the air on airplanes is filtered, that doesn't help you much with spread from someone in the rows adjacent to you, because the droplets/aerosol can spread to you before it reaches the intake.

Of more concern is using the public bathrooms in the airports, waiting in a crowded area etc. Not as bad as being in a bar full of drunk unmasked patrons but way riskier than what we are doing in our daily life now - too risky to not quarantine on her return before seeing patients in person. Flushing toilets create an aerosol and the virus can be excreted in stool.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard