A
I dunno. Chihuahua's can have a lot of attitude laugh

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
kml #2896860 06/04/20 10:00 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by kml
Well I'd be super angry at my father too if he was a racist a-hole AND blew up the family. And represented oppression (since, if he's an openly racist cop, he's probably not a good cop).

In D17s post she says "she grew up thinking cops were hero's and that she idealized them but says she was wrong. She goes on to describe how he would say nasty things about people of color, saying they commit more crimes, or that they are thugs. She says that is a completely wrong and effed up to say. Says she'd never stand up to him because he would just get defensive and tell her that she was wrong for defending them. She says she's not afraid now to stand up for what is right and will continue to do so starting with calling her racist father out and his racist cop buddies. Says cops abuse their power within the police force and their day to day lives.....she goes on to give specific examples (ouch) and says she is mad"

This is all true so yeah she's angry.

kml #2897620 06/15/20 08:58 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Had a relatively calm weekend. Did drop my phone and had to get a new one (I had been babying along my old iPhone SE because it had a headphone jack and they don't come with them anymore frown ) . I went with the iPhone 11 because the camera on the SE is not so great, but I'm really disliking the larger size of the phone. (I could browse with one hand on the SE). Still, no big deal.

I got a little work done on the back patio which had been needing to be done, looks better now. Still a lot of gardening and some more cleaning to do. Also need to get a junk hauler or a small dumpster to get rid of some accumulated junk. Still haven't ordered a new dishwasher either. All in good time.

I've also been playing around with my retirement scenarios. For any of you who want to keep an eye on this for yourselves, I LOVE the Ultimate Retirement Calculator at the Financial Mentor website and have used it for years to calculate various scenarios for my own retirement. I just finally read his book How Much Money Do I Need to Retire and wish I had bought it some time ago - I thought it might be redundant but it definitely wasn't, and I really like his clear thinking. It gave me some new ideas for sure. I'm not ready to retire yet - probably not for years although at some point I may go to reduced hours at work. But I COULD retire if I wanted to; I simply want more cushion and more ability to help my kids first.

kml #2897927 06/18/20 11:30 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
CMM's oncologist appointment today, we made a decision to give him a break from this round of chemo and start it back up in 3 weeks. The cumulative effects of chemo every 3 weeks since January were just starting to catch up to him - the neuropathy, the skin breakdown, the gut issues - so I think this little break will give him a chance to recover a bit and do better going forward. We can celebrate Juneteenth tomorrow instead of going for chemo!

kml #2898062 06/21/20 04:07 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads in here, and a shout-out to all the moms doing double duty and filling in for their kids’ dads too.

If you google San Diego skater’s protest you can see video of the protest my youngest son participated in yesterday. 1,000 young people on skateboards through the city to fight for equality. I’m proud of him and his social conscience. He’s well aware that his black friends are treated very differently by the police than he as a white kid is - he’s seen it first hand, and he’s not ok with it.

(For those who are watching paranoid info about rioters, no, it was a peaceful protest, as the vast majority have been).

kml #2898068 06/21/20 05:05 PM
B
B
well done.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2898106 06/22/20 09:20 AM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I think we’ve figured out that middle son - the one who doesn’t live with me - may have had Covid in February.

At the time, he had symptoms of a respiratory infection, not unusual for him, as he has asthma and is somewhat prone. He was on oral steroids as is usual for him when he gets an infection, and wasn’t unusually sicker than he normally gets when he has bronchitis (which is fairly bad because of the asthma). The weird thing though was that he developed diabetes. At the time it was attributed to him being on the steroids a couple days longer than usual, but he’s used them in the past with no problems. His blood sugar was so high that I was worried about it being type 1 diabetes with keto acidosis but his doctors didn’t seem concerned about that and just attributed it to his weight and the steroids. He also complained about a weird metallic taste in his mouth at the time but he associated it with his high blood sugars, which were causing blurred vision and other symptoms.

He didn’t have a fever or know anyone who was sick. He had been to an event in LA just prior but nobody in that group was reporting illness. I had questioned him a couple months ago about whether he thought it could have been Covid and he didn’t think so. His blood sugars had largely returned to normal after a few weeks and a modest dose of metformin. But now some stories are coming out about Covid triggering diabetes (something that was studied in SARS) and we now know that Covid can affect sense of smell and taste, which might explain the metallic taste.

In retrospect, as more becomes known about the virus and how early it may have been circulating, it seems more possible that this was Covid. Scary. I didn’t come visit him when he was sick as I normally would, because I was fearful of bringing any infection back to CMM at that time, which was right after his hospitalization for colitis due to immune suppression from his chemo. Thank god I didn’t.

We will try to get him an antibody test, although I’m seeing a lot of false negatives with that test.

Stay safe out there, everybody. Wear your masks, wash your hands, keep social distancing and make sure your vitamin D levels are normal.

kml #2898109 06/22/20 10:25 AM
B
B
yes i've uppped my mom's vit D supplement. truthfully, i should probably double what she's currently taking.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
kml #2898736 06/28/20 10:07 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My middle son - the one who lives an hour away and who I haven’t seen in person for six months because he has bad asthma and is staying safe - just got the cutest new kitten! Wish I could go play with him! He has an older cat but that cat has lived with other cats in the past, and is still lively enough to cope with a kitten I think. Son is going super slow with the introductions.

I did see my niece yesterday , who needed a medical exam, but she has been safely working from home, and we both wore masks and sat outside. It was nice to see her - I think she’s the first visitor since the lockdown.

I’m lucky, though, in that I have phone visits and the occasional in-person visit with patients and see my coworkers (5 people total in our office) plus we are a household of four so I haven’t felt too isolated.

Sure wish I could visit that little fluffy kitten though ! Instead my son FaceTimed me this morning so I could get my kitten fix. Google white Neva masquerade images to get an idea what this kitten looks like. We have no idea what the kitten really is - came from a feral mom his friends were fostering who looks a bit like a tabby Maine coon - but those images come closest to how he looks. Super-cute.

kml #2898737 06/28/20 10:22 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Oh - and a little woo-woo story from my niece.

She’d been walking and listening to a book by a psychic who said something about picking a sign for your deceased love ones to communicate with you. Walking down a street and thinking of her deceased grandmother (my mom, who died in September) she decided to pick bears. (She has a stuffed bear my mom gave her).

Shortly thereafter, there was an incident with a live bear who had somehow found its way into the city (near Pasadena) and had to be removed by animal control. The news accounts referred to her as an “old lady bear”. The bear was found on the very street where she made her intention!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard