Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LH19
Yo Andy on a somber note did you hear they won’t let people travel to their cottages when they are outside their county?

WTF is up with that? I may need you to cut my cottage grass lol.
I cut my grass on Saturday. It was starting to look like my quarantine hairstyle smile

Our small health systems can't deal with a large influx of cases from outside their usual service area. And the less the mixing of the population, especially between regions, the quicker we can get this darned virus thing behind us. We have a few cases around here, mostly in the one larger urban centre but a few within easy distance of where I live.

Just think of it as doing your part to encourage the bio-diversity of your lawn and provide habitat for small critters that would otherwise be trying to drink your beer. It is far more common for a bug to land in your beer sitting outside here than it ever is in the city.

We'll be more than happy to eventually see you and yours but for now, stay put please and we'll do the same. S I know is dying to visit her Dad 3 hours away and do a Costco run but here we stay.

No comments on the second question. A gentleman doesn't tell.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
L
L
I’m gonna have my translator translate this to me and I’ll get back to you Andy.

D
D

Originally Posted by AndrewP
I cut my grass on Saturday. It was starting to look like my quarantine hairstyle smile

Our small health systems can't deal with a large influx of cases from outside their usual service area. And the less the mixing of the population, especially between regions, the quicker we can get this darned virus thing behind us. We have a few cases around here, mostly in the one larger urban centre but a few within easy distance of where I live.

Just think of it as doing your part to encourage the bio-diversity of your lawn and provide habitat for small critters that would otherwise be trying to drink your beer. It is far more common for a bug to land in your beer sitting outside here than it ever is in the city.

We'll be more than happy to eventually see you and yours but for now, stay put please and we'll do the same. S I know is dying to visit her Dad 3 hours away and do a Costco run but here we stay.

No comments on the second question. A gentleman doesn't tell.

Here’s the translation: we Canadians are a friendly lot, but stay the h3ll away from us with your sickness. Letting your lawn grow is kinda like big hair in the 80’s.....gets you closer to Jesus, baby. Plus it will keep skeeters from sipping your suds.

“No comment on the second question” = yes

And there’s your Kanuckistan to redneckinese translation, LH. You may have to find another translator to hit the correct northern dialect. wink

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
L
L
Thanks Dawn! Makes sense now. Lol

G
G
I am all for social distancing, but how do you tell someone you can’t go to home you own?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Ginger1
I am all for social distancing, but how do you tell someone you can’t go to home you own?
When people go to their cottage, they go to the local grocery store, department store, beer store. They would also go to the marina, campground, wander around the down-towns of our towns and villages.

The skeeters can stand to get a bit leaner and hungrier.

If anyone wants a nice laugh and a taste of "up north" although this is actually referring to the part of the world that exquisitetobe lives in, check out the National Film Board short film - Blackfly. It will be stuck in your head as an ear-worm guaranteed.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
G
G
Yes. I get that. Renters and vacationers should not be doing that. But people have the right to the property they own.

If you own a shore home you are allowed there in NJ. But you cannot rent it out. It’s a little too far telling property owners they aren’t allowed on their own property .

D
D
Originally Posted by Ginger1

EXACTLY! Sadly it’s just part of the tyranny-laden landscape we have somehow rolled over to, because, well because somehow a virus and being “safe” tops even the constitution that has allowed us to move about freely for hundreds of years - at least here on this side of the boarder.

Originally Posted by AndrewP
We have a few cases around here, mostly in the one larger urban centre but a few within easy distance of where I live.

A “few” cases of a disease once thought to be on its way to killing millions of people but in reality has not come anywhere close but yet we are still acting like it really is killing millions. Yet “a few” cases is keeping many in their houses and you from visiting the land you own and I’m guessing pay taxes on. And we’ve gotten here in less than 2 months. Simply amazing. That’s my translation LH

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline
K
The problem arises when remote tourist destinations with very limited ICU capabilities become overrun with Covid cases from tourists and part-time residents returning. You don't want to end up in the only ICU in some small remote hospital.

As for the millions of cases, Don - we are already for sure above 100k (yeah, I know reported cases are about 75k but under-reporting of cases is something than happens with all pandemics and is only usually accurately counted in hindsight - definitely happening now). The best estimates of current deathrate are 0.8 - 1% deaths per infection including asymptomatic and mild cases. If just 20% of the US ends up being infected that means about 650k deaths. 40% (a more likely number given that NYC alone has already hit about 25% of the population infected and we are just in the very beginning stages of this pandemic) we are looking at 1.3 million deaths. If the reports today about a more aggressive strain taking over are correct (and they look to be) the death rate may well be 1% or higher. At 1% and 50% of the US infected, we're looking at 1.7 million deaths. The only thing saving us from these numbers right now is the drastic steps that have been taken which reduced mobility by 50%, masks and social distancing, and handwashing. IF people were to strictly adhere to the federal guidelines we had a chance to transition from mitigation to containment but that's pretty much off the table now that so many states are opening up prematurely. Continued social distancing, masks and handwashing can hopefully keep mitigation helping to slow the virus but the morons out there protesting wearing a mask in public are going to sabotage even that hope.

We are at the PEAK of the first wave, projections have had to be revised because they included assumptions that we were going to follow the federal guidelines and since that's not happening, the projections now show more deaths and a much more prolonged decline. This is ONLY the first wave - there will surely be a second the only question is when and how bad. With this more aggressive strain predominating, the second wave may well be more fatal, just like the second wave of the Spanish flu was. I suggest anybody who is interested look at the IHME covid projection models, which have had to be revised recently due to lack of following the federal guidelines. It's not pretty.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
One key difference I think between Canada and the USA can be summed up by looking at some of the defining clauses in our different constitutions.

In the US, it is based on "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Our original constitution, Section 91 of the British North America Act of 1878 has the phrase "peace, order, and good government"

Most people who are at least noddingly familiar with both documents set these as the prime differences between our similar, but different societies.

Personally, I believe that the modern concept of "rights" is a construct of the humanist movements of the late Renaissance and has little basis in nature or even in the ways that most societies act. It is though an excellent concept to frame societal behaviour in a similar way that the 10 commandments (yes, I'll probably burn in h3ll for this comparison smile ) do. As many of us here can attest, breaking of the 10 commandments happens all the time.

Along with the concept of rights - in my opinion - comes the parallel concept of societal obligations. As a society I feel that we have an obligation to care for our fellow man (and woman) and to ensure that our actions do not impinge upon their own "rights and freedoms".

So - with that in mind - along with a belief in the core science as presented - which has a lot of both known and unknown unknowns (thank you Donald Rumsfeld for that phrase) - means that I firmly believe that whatever I can do to slow the spread of Covid 19 and to keep not just myself but those around me safe and follow the best practices as informed by scientific authorities is worth doing.

Why oh why do so many of my threads end in drama? Must be attracted to me like those darned skeeters.

Next thread

Darned Skeeters
https://www.divorcebusting.com/foru...flat&Number=2894255&#Post2894255

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard