A Divorce Busting® Coach can help you save your marriage, even when your spouse wants out.

Save your marriage singlehandedly
with Divorce Busting Telephone Coaching
SPECIAL OFFER TO INTRODUCE YOU TO DB COACHING
Save $75. Offer for new clients and available October 26 - 30 only
SINGLE DIVORCE BUSTING TELEPHONE SESSION FOR ONLY $100

CALL 303-444-7004

A Message from Michele
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902425
08/20/20 08:55 PM
08/20/20 08:55 PM
K
kml Offline
kml  Offline
K
Minimum wage has declined drastically in this country since I was young if you account for inflation.

Denmark is $16 . Some cantons in Switzerland are $20.

Certainly there's no excuse for our minimum wage to be less than $11 but the original discussion here was about paid time off which all those countries have 20 days or more.

Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902457
08/21/20 07:29 PM
08/21/20 07:29 PM
D
Dawn70 Offline OP
Dawn70  Offline OP
D
Whew...……………..finally Friday. Cue up the George Jones "It's Finally Friday, I'm free again..." song. Except I don't really have my motor runnin' for a wild weekend like the next line of the song says. I'm actually looking forward to a quiet night at home with my husband and a dinner of lobster rolls that he scored from some online food delivery site. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His mom's birthday is Monday so he is cooking her steaks tomorrow night for supper and I got the fixings for loaded backed potatoes and salad. Swinging by the bakery on my way home to pick up some fancy cupcakes and we are calling that good for her. Sunday we are having a low country boil for my brother for his birthday (which is Wednesday) and a "surprise" wedding reception for he and his new wife. They kind of eloped (we knew it was happening but they didn't have anyone but my nephews there) but we want to do something to welcome our new sister into the family. They are kind of an odd couple, but my brother is kind of an odd duck so God bless her for dealing with him! I love my brother, in all honesty, but I could NOT live with him.

I'm counting the days until our little weekend get-away to the secluded riverside cabin. I told Sparky last night that I am going to stock us up on beer before we go so we can just hang at the cabin and hot tub all the time. No phones, no distractions, just chillin'. sounds like we'll be living our best life to me.

I have survived the first crazy week back to school and it has been, in some ways, far more normal than I envisioned that it might be. Sadly, the number of cases in Arkansas doesn't seem to be slowing down and the number of deaths is growing at a fairly alarming rate (and no, I'm not discussing it because I'm not going to read any more comments about how it is ONLY a small percentage....tell that to the "small percentage" of people who lost someone because of it then come back and talk to me). Public schools open next week and many had originally offered a virtual option and then the governor said they had to go back onsite. Now a lot of schools are scrambling to come up with plans for phased openings or partial online and partial onsite because the numbers are not going down. It is going to be crazy, but then again, maybe it will be like here and not be as crazy as I had imagined. We shall see...…………………

Life is good. Back to work full time is good. My class is all online this time and starts next week. I'm a little nervous about how it will go, but I won't know until I get in there and get it done. I'm using a new learning management system that is not terribly user friendly, but fortunately I teach several sections of the same class, so once I get my class "built" in one section, I can just import to the other blank sections. That will be nice. And, I can set up the program to grade assignments for me as I go, so that will be nice too.

It is nice to just be back to some semblance of normalcy and to have time with our family this weekend and have our little trip to look forward to next weekend. Life is pretty darn good.

Me 50, H52
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
4 grandkids (plus 2 on the way)
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902595
08/24/20 08:02 PM
08/24/20 08:02 PM
D
Dawn70 Offline OP
Dawn70  Offline OP
D
I survived the 1st week and have had a productive start to the 2nd week so far. I have been working on getting my office organized since my class is online this semester so I will be in my office a whole lot more than usual. I got boxes emptied and put away in other labs and even threw away some files that have been in my way since I got here and just did some general organizing for a more cohesive flow. I wish I would move my computer easily and I would actually change desks so I'm not sitting so near the door, but that isn't possible. I have 2 desks in my office for some reason, but I use one for my main stuff (computer, phone, most work) and then sit at the other when I am grading papers and such.

2 people who I thought very highly of in my life passed away over the weekend and that makes me sad. But, then we found out this weekend that my oldest daughter is pregnant so we will be grandparents again and that is happy news indeed. Circle of life, I suppose.

Not much to say since I just posted Friday and my life has definitely not gotten infinitely more exciting since then, but I do feel somewhat more normal than I have in awhile, even with my class online and having to wear a mask all the dang time when I'm around people. When I'm in my office alone, I don't have to wear it, so that is good. And, we can't have in person meetings with students so I don't have to put it on, usually, unless I'm running to the bathroom or going to another room or something.

The biggest news is just 4 more sleeps until our weekend getaway and man am I READY! I need this in the worst way.

Me 50, H52
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902599
08/24/20 08:15 PM
08/24/20 08:15 PM
D
DejaVu6 Offline
DejaVu6  Offline
D
Congratulations on the news of another grandchild Dawn!! Yes...the circle of life...never stops despite everything that this word conjures up to get in the way. Glad to hear you are back at work and it is going okay. Such a strange world we are living in these days. Hope your weekend getaway is everything you hope it will be!!! (((HUGS)))

Me 51
H 46
B/G Twins 11
SD19
Legal SA - January 2019
Divorce filed - June 2019
Divorce final - November 2019

Together 14 years
Married 12 years
BD1 - May 2014
BD2 - September 14, 2018

Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902608
08/24/20 09:26 PM
08/24/20 09:26 PM
Canada
A
AndrewP Online
AndrewP  Online
A
Canada
((Dawn)) - so sorry to hear of the passing of people you care about. I can bet though that you will be in full grandma mode and be pretty awesome at that.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902669
08/25/20 05:58 PM
08/25/20 05:58 PM
D
Dawn70 Offline OP
Dawn70  Offline OP
D
Thanks, Andrew. We are super excited about grandbaby number 6. We have number 5 coming in December (Sparky's oldest daughter is having a little boy) and then this one. I'm firmly on team girl with number 6 because we already have a girl and 3 boys and another boy on the way.

Me 50, H52
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902958
09/01/20 08:17 PM
09/01/20 08:17 PM
D
Dawn70 Offline OP
Dawn70  Offline OP
D
Back to life, back to reality. Our weekend away was JUST what we needed and I am SO glad we had the opportunity to do it. We stayed at the cabin most of the time and just hung out in the hot tub, drank beer, wine and bloody marys and watched a few movies on the cabin's giant tv. We slept late, sampled a few local restaurants, and took a nice dip in the local lake. All in all, a very successful get-away. It highlighted for me how well Sparky and I get along because we have a good time in the very simple things. Just chilling in the hot tub talking or watching a movie or driving around to see the local sites and taking pictures. It was all good.

Back to the real world yesterday and it has been fast and furious the past couple of days. We were actually "gifted" with 2 days off last week, thanks to Hurricane Laura (ironically, my sister's name is Laura, so we have had many family jokes about having our own hurricane). The funny thing is that Arkansas is inland, but we were supposed to get super heavy rains and very strong storms as Laura blew up from Louisiana. Blessedly, while we did get some wind and rain Thursday mid-day, we got nowhere near the severity that was predicted and I'm so very grateful. Our cabin get-away was a couple of hours north of where we actually live, so we got a little rainy weather there Saturday afternoon, but we just used that as an excuse for more hot tub time and a nap. Win/win!

I do not like my class being online because students are just so unsure of everything online and it is hard not being able to talk them through stuff. We'll get in a groove eventually. Everyone did well on the first assignment. I only had 2 people who didn't turn anything in and one person who hasn't even bothered to log in to our class website yet, so I'm dropping her today because she hasn't logged in and she isn't responding to my emails.

Sparky and I had an interesting conversation last night and it really got me thinking. He asked me something after I got home and I got frustrated with him because he was doing what I think of as a typical man thing and not actually listening to what I was saying when he asked me where something was and he walked right by it about 4 times. I finally got up and just handed it to him. And, I was kind of short with him when I did it. So, as he walked away, he muttered under his breath, which he has a very annoying habit of doing. When he came back in the room, I addressed it and said I didn't appreciate it when he did that because regardless of what he actually said, it seems like he's mocking me and I don't like that at all because I find it disrespectful. He said that he wasn't mocking me but that he was saying he wasn't stupid because when I talked to him the way that I did and got up and handed him what he was asking me about, it came across as I was trying to make him look stupid. Wow...………………….I knew I had a bit of a tone to my voice because I had a long and very frustrating day of dealing with people and then he was overlooking something that seemed obvious so I guess I did get a tone, but I most certainly wasn't meaning to imply that I thought he was stupid. That led to an even longer conversation about how we get wrapped up in our separate work lives sometimes and don't think about how we are talking to each other. He said he wished sometimes that I talk to him like I talk to my dog. I pointed out that she's my baby and I have had her since she was only 6 months old (she's 14 now), so I know I talk sweet to her. But, I'm not in the habit of talking to people in the same way or the same voice I speak to her in. He pointed out that I do it to his dogs too, calling them "my sweet boys" and such. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm……….I love Sparky and we do talk sweet to each other, but I don't usually "sweet talk" him like I do the dogs. It seems as though, while he has a bit of a gruff exterior, he wants/needs a little sweet talk, so I have to work on that for him. Of course, I want it to be natural and not forced or rehearsed so it might take a bit, but I know I can do it if it will make him feel better. I'm so very grateful that we can communicate the way that we can. It makes our lives SO much easier.

Me 50, H52
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2902965
09/01/20 10:09 PM
09/01/20 10:09 PM
Canada
A
AndrewP Online
AndrewP  Online
A
Canada
Fellas all want a bit of sweet at home. We are all delicate little flowers too.

Tone of voice and expression are so easy to mis-interpret. My ex-wife would sometimes tease me which was fine - except when she was wearing sun-glasses and I couldn't see her eyes. S has this exasperated thing she does when I repeat myself which I have a tendency to do. I of course am a perfect communicator laugh

And because we have had a lifetime of NOT communicating with our new partners and have all the defense mechanisms and triggers that set us off it can be a bit of a mine-field.

Just remember - if in doubt - show up naked and bring beer. Pretty much all sins are then forgiven.

In the mean-time, think of it in terms of a love-language. Words of affirmation go a long way. A "thanks darlin' I appreciate that" is always a good plan.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: AndrewP] #2902976
09/02/20 01:22 AM
09/02/20 01:22 AM
Midwest
D
DonH Offline
DonH  Offline
D
Midwest
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Fellas all want a bit of sweet at home.

Fair enough. I can agree with this.

Originally Posted by AndrewP
We are all delicate little flowers too.

Ummmmm, no, no..., no we all are not! SMH. smile

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Re: A country boy (and girl) can survive [Re: Dawn70] #2903005
09/02/20 03:55 PM
09/02/20 03:55 PM
K
kml Offline
kml  Offline
K
Yeah Don - you're really all about 10 years old inside. And ten year old boys are sweet and love their mommies wink

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, job, Virginia 

Save Your Marriage! Schedule Online

Schedule a phone consultation with a Divorce Busting® Coach! Call: 800-664-2435 or 303-444-7004