Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
kml #2887699 03/02/20 12:24 AM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A vaccine will take 18-24 months. Don't hold your breath.

Wash your hands or use alcohol based hand sanitizer, keep your distance from people in public (3-6 feet), get your sleep, eat healthy, take vitamin D if you're deficient, drink your coffee if you like it. (There's a study from last year on a different, milder coronavirus which showed it was sensitive to caffeic acid, a component of coffee - NOT caffeine). About 200 mg in a cup, so if you like your coffee, feel free to drink a cup. If you find yourself starting to feel sick, suck on zinc lozenges.

kml #2887749 03/02/20 01:05 PM
D
D

I was told that a daily regimen of prune juice and a high colonic is the best prevention. I don't think I'm going to be able to do that for 18 months; I'm already walking funny.

kml #2888139 03/04/20 05:05 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Well this weekend my one son who doesn't live with me had a medical crisis. he has bad asthma and has had a URI for the last ten days. He was on oral prednisone because of his asthma. He called me this weekend after having seen his doctor the day before, who did a chest xray and a urinalysis because of his complaints of frequent urination, but apparently did nothing when it showed he was spilling a large amount of sugar in his urine. Son refused to take metformin that I prescribed to him over the weekend, I ended sending youngest son up to him with a glucometer and his glucose level was 300 (very high but not quite diabetic ketoacidosis going-into-a-coma levels). He saw his doctor on Monday who said he wouldn't prescribe metformin unless his HgbA1C was 7 (what does he THINK it's going to be with a glucose of 300, blurry vision and frequent urination???). So of course yesterday his glucose level was high again and he ended up taking a Lyft to the emergency room. His hgbA1C was 8.6!

So now he has steroid-induced diabetes on top of all his other health problems. This is a big issue because, while he could probably reverse it with diet, he's already struggling pretty badly with his anorexia and this will be very difficult to manage with that going on. And I can't bring him down to my house for a few days because he's still coughing and I can't afford to get sick right now or give it to CMM.

Pretty sure my ex knows nothing about this, not that he would be any help anyway. I love my kids and am glad to be there for them, but it's the one thing I really cannot forgive my ex for - he has basically dumped all the hard parenting onto my shoulders since the divorce.GRRRRRR.

kml #2888146 03/04/20 06:13 PM
job Offline
kml,

I am so sorry that your son is having medical issues. I can't believe that doctor wouldn't prescribe metformin for your son. His glucose level was too high. I hope things are getting better for him. Poor guy, it's got so much going on w/his health right now.

I hope that his doctor can bring that level down and your son can manage it a bit better when he's feeling better. You are very wise not to have him come to your home while he's still coughing. Gosh, when it rains, it pours.

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please, please take care of yourself. All of your family and CMM need you at this moment.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
kml #2888153 03/04/20 07:03 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks - I am taking my vitamins and getting my sleep.

kml #2888252 03/05/20 05:10 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Son #2's blood sugar was a hair better yesterday - 170 fasting, still bad but not so high to be causing him symptoms like he was having over the weekend. He's tolerating the metformin so far (I made sure he got the extended release form because he has a lot of gI issues and sometimes people get diarrhea on the regular metformin but tolerate the ER which is only slightly more expensive.) He's been in close contact with his dietician and his therapist . I've offered to pay for a few weeks of a meal delivery service if he thinks that will be helpful to him (like a Paleo type diet mostly) - he's going to discuss it with his dietician.

CMM is still feeling rather crummy, chemo is supposed to resume tomorrow and I think he can do it but he's gonna be wiped out afterward I'm sure. Still, I want him to get chemo tomorrow because I'm not sure it will be available next time he's due if the coronavirus is widespread.

Last edited by job; 03/05/20 07:29 PM. Reason: edited a word for kml
kml #2888263 03/05/20 07:14 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
And just a little coronavirus update for y'all:

Great press conference last Friday by member of the W.H.O. who went to China and formed a joint task force to evaluate the epidemic. Bottom line is, basically, that the Chinese did a ridiculously good job of reining it in - and we are in no way prepared to do the same. You can expect a rapid increase in cases in the US over the next month I believe. Plan accordingly.

Also - just because Washington state has identified cases doesn't mean it's not other places too - they used a flu research project to skate around the CDC to do local testing for the coronavirus, that's how they found the teenage boy in Snohomish.

Last edited by job; 03/05/20 10:40 PM. Reason: edited a sentence for kml
kml #2888267 03/05/20 07:35 PM
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Also new research today shows kids are just as prone to get the infection as adults, they just don't seem to get as sick. Expect school closures in the future.

kml #2888283 03/05/20 09:12 PM
A
A
Scary stuff. Thanks for keeping us up to date. I did hear this morning that low levels of these virus can be carried around on pets.

More and more places are starting to lock down. I'm seriously reconsidering the amount of time that I spend on the subway each week.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
kml #2888301 03/06/20 12:36 AM
D
D
Originally Posted by kml
Great press conference last Friday by member of the W.H.O. who went to China and formed a joint task force to evaluate the epidemic. Bottom line is, basically, that the Chinese did a ridiculously good job of reining it in - and we are in no way prepared to do the same. You can expect a rapid increase in cases in the US over the next month I believe. Plan accordingly.

Very interesting info KML. I’m just curious who is claiming the Chinese did “a ridiculously good job” of handling this breakout? Was it the Chinese themselves saying how great they’ve done? I ask because I recently met with some, I believe, well informed, and I know, high ranking state medical officials who claim otherwise - that the Chinese have not done well and are in fact not being truthful with the rest of the world. For one they believe that the number of Chinese cases are much higher than they have reported - which is likely a good thing as it would make the death ratio much lower as the number of deaths are accurate but may be based on as many as double the reported cases, therefore half the death rate. The folks I talked with also assert that the belief the US not being prepared is, yet again, politically motivated. It’s always all Trump’s fault ya know. Lol.

Who knows who is correct or what the real truth is going to end up being. It just sounded to me, at least from these folks, that it’s not nearly as bad nor deadly as hyped or feared. I’m hoping they are correct. Again only time will tell.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard