Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
D
D
Originally Posted by exquisitetobe
Excusez-moi Monsieur Doodler but boo-gair would be the pronounciation of France.
Here, we say boo-gueur.

I'm so sorry; I didn't mean to be culturally insensitive. Everything I know about Canada I learned from Andrew. Ultimately Andrew is to blame.

All this talk of boogers is making me hungry.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by doodler
Ultimately Andrew is to blame.
Channeling my ex-wife now doodler?

Best go to Dave's Pizza Garage for some poutine. Although they use mozzarella and not curds. What do you expect though from a part of the world that can't manage to make a decent cup of tea laugh

My daughter also remarked that since she left Canada that it's been pretty much impossible to find good fries. Since she's still not (quite) talking to me I've not heard if she has had any luck in San Diego.

Her husband's ship just came back from a 10 month deployment so I expect she's not talking to "anybody" for quite a few days ....

Excuse me while I go research cookie recipes so that job will allow me to have another thread.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Sugar Cookie French Fries

Ingredients
1.25 cup unsalted butter
1.25 cup sugar
1.50 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
3.5 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp salt

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 °F.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. In a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add flour mixture and blend until combined.

4. Remove dough from mixer, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for half an hour.

5. Once chilled, divide dough into 2 parts. Roll dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it’s approximately 1 centimeter thick. Chill sheets of dough for half an hour.

6. Once chilled, remove top sheet of parchment cut into strips of difference lengths to resemble French fries. Place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

7. To serve, sprinkle with sugar to resemble salt and use buttercream icing dyed with red food coloring to resemble ketchup.

D
D
You could die the buttercream brown to resemble Canadian "gravy" and there you go....poutine. Doodler is clearly a closet fan since he whipped out that recipe so quickly.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Originally Posted by Dawn70
You could die the buttercream brown to resemble Canadian "gravy" and there you go....poutine.

Dawn is spot-on (as usual). Just add Nestlé's white chocolate morels (cheese curds) and voilà, you have authentic dessert poutine. What's even better is that it's versatile. Instead of putting white chocolate morsels on it, you can use candy corn, and suddenly it becomes a poop cake (you know, with corn). What could be better than poutine poop cake with candy corn?

E
E
Top google result for : how many types of poutine are there?

Home to over 107 different types of poutine and the largest poutine menu in Canada, this local Peterborough has everything your imagination can come up with. On their whopping 3-page poutine menu you'll find a Big Mac poutine, perogie poutine, a Krabby Patty poutine and many, many

Here come the question: Andrew, how far is Peterborough from your office out of town?

G
G
I never knew poutine could be such a topic of conversation

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by exquisitetobe
Top google result for : how many types of poutine are there?

Home to over 107 different types of poutine and the largest poutine menu in Canada, this local Peterborough has everything your imagination can come up with. On their whopping 3-page poutine menu you'll find a Big Mac poutine, perogie poutine, a Krabby Patty poutine and many, many

Here come the question: Andrew, how far is Peterborough from your office out of town?

We have a plant in Colborne that is on my list to visit this spring. Great pies at The Big Apple. Peterborough is I think kinda on the way home from there.

It's not the variety that matters IMO - it's the care and quality ingredients that do. Even in Montreal I only ever had one poutine that was worth the effort. Just like the best pea soup I've ever had was up in the Abbatibi.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Since I've given up on having any control of this thread, I thought I'd ruminate, cogitate and perhaps lactate some. It's my last day before this office I'm visiting closes and there's not a lot to do. Tomorrow I'm in the "downtown" office beginning my even longer commute regularly to that site.

On another forum a few of us have been posting before / after pictures. I chose as my before being out with my ex on our 26th wedding anniversary in the fall of 2015. I edited her face out of the picture, replacing it with a poop emoji. Seemed appropriate. The last anniversary we had as a couple. A decent enough day. We went for a hike and played mini-golf. She wasn't very interested in doing anything much so it was a bit of a bust of a day. She took a few "glamour / we're so happy" shots for social media and then we went home. I figure that was right at the beginning of her slide in to her affair. Last I heard those shots of us together as a happy couple were some of the most recent on her social media feed still.

What hit me though was the actual effort that it takes to think back to my "before" life. We talk about a "fog" here from time to time as it relates to our former partners and TBH, a lot of the life that I had back then is indeed rather foggy. Did we for example have Sunday Suppers as a "thing?". I know that in the last number of years it wasn't much of a thing especially since the dining room including the table was packed tight with "stuff" and was essentially unusable. My ex rarely felt like putting the effort in for a special meal. I can see glimpses of particular events and have a general feel for the rhythm of my before life, but it is elusive and vague.

Odd. Undoubtedly not something that really matters, but the fact that the greater bulk of my adult life is just vague memories is in some ways disturbing.

And keep in mind that in my profession, a detailed and lengthy memory is important. I can still tell you for example about the circumstances that required us to start diluting our tanks of nitric acid quite some years ago and even generally who said what in that meeting.

A dear friend who recently resurfaced after a trying time of her own once told me that she would know I was healed when I was defined more by what is in front of me than what was behind.

I suppose this feeling of vagueness about my past is a good thing?

----------------------

I'm working through feelings about seeing the presence of B again. She's still not blocked me on social media and I would presume that she won't. She didn't have much of a life outside of work, grand-kids and her cottage so the chances of us bumping in to each other is minimal. I suppose, just like with any past relationship where you have fond memories that that "itch" exists. I know that it cannot be scratched. S is aware of the existence of B and in general the reasons why that didn't work out. I do expect that B knows about S at least in general since we bumped in to her brother-in-law at a festival around Christmas as a "family" and from what I understand, the best way to spread information in an Italian family is to give one of them a juicy tidbit that nobody else knows.

The time with B is over and is over for many good reasons. You can't help but feel nostalgic for the good times though...

---------------------

I know that it bothers S when I refer to myself as single lately and she's "corrected" me more than once in recent times. There certainly isn't any public information out there on social media to indicate otherwise. She historically puts very little of her life "out there" and I'm choosing to follow her lead on that. We "are" all going to Niagara to celebrate S12 turning into S13 in a couple of weeks. I expect that there will be group shots involved.

S told me that she talked to her STBX recently and directly confirmed that she's seeing someone and has gotten the divorce paperwork at least started. I feel pretty bad for the guy. From the little I know he's not let go of her potentially coming back. Not that he actually seems to have made any efforts to work on himself, nor on actively trying to attract her back. He would - from what I understand - send her a text every once in a while suggesting that they "try again".

She was - using the descriptions we have here - a pretty classic WAW. He treated her like an appliance that cooked and cleaned and had no place in any decision making. Any thoughts she had were shot down and she would be lectured at length about her shortcoming. When S actually did that a bit over a year ago, nothing had changed in the reasons why she left.

The overall impression I get of him is that he is very lazy at least relationship-wise. S was his third marriage. They lived together for about a year I think and got married in 2012. They never celebrated a first anniversary. He's made no effort to be part of the lives of any of the kids either that I am aware of although S's D18 and her dog (and boyfriend and another friend) have moved in with him as they had few other options once S's landlady objected to the additional dog. A subject of much complaining by him from what I understand.

Personally, I believe, like many here, that S has been waiting to be sure that I'm not going anywhere before completely closing the door on her Plan B. She says that's not the case and I am in some ways obliged to believe her. It doesn't really make too much difference and it may be what she actually believes. Mind-reading isn't my forte.

--------------------------

So I have a plan to get rid of at least some of 20 Something's stuff. I've floated it by S and she's thinking about it. Unlike in the past number of years, I've not just acted on it but am waiting for S's input especially since it in part involves her.

The key items that are in my plan are an old love-seat and recliner that are in my front porch. The same front porch that S will be wanting to use as a commercial space "eventually". The plan is for me to offer to buy said furniture from 20S for like $50. A fairly decent price all things considered. This furniture could then be donated to S25 for when he moves out on his own if he wants it - planned for a few months from now, S's D18 when she moves in to her own place planned for this summer / fall, or put in S's apartment replacing the "very" old and rather beat up couch she has there.

As a fall-back position, putting it on the side of the road marked "free" is also an option.

A decision should hopefully be made this weekend. Yes, paying for it seems bizarre. Certainly a lot less than the cost of storage and it gives 20S some easy cash and would be a drama free exchange. If she says no - then I'll push on her harder to get a storage locker or another place to put it.

---------------------

I'm thinking of making a list of random places to visit. The English Museum of Rural Life located in Reading, UK has one of the truly best social media feeds going and I think has inspired other museums to be more creative in how they engage with the community. I'm sure it's a decent museum as well. Greenwich to view the Harrison clocks they have on display. I was a big fan of Patrick O'Brian's novels and there are lots of random places mentioned that would be worth visiting both within and without the UK. Madeira was on the list for my ex and I. She quite liked their signature wine - not sure I would bother now though despite the rich history of the island as a transit point for all sorts of expeditions. S's oldest son lives south of Brisbane. My daughter is in San Diego. From San Diego there's easy access to LA. There are of course massive amounts of Canada have yet to be wompled much less coddled. And of course, limited budget.

-------------------

This weekend I'll be celebrating Robbie Burns Day with a haggis, neeps and tatties. When I pulled the haggis out of the freezer this morning it was labeled as a "haggis ball". Sheesh - I'd always thought that a haggis was a wee beastie. By the looks of the ball, it would be either about 14' tall or have to walk very very carefully laugh

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D

Holy freakin' cheese curds Batman! I just found out that McDonald's serves poutine in Canada. Oh McNo! It's McPoutine. Poutine just got grosser. Here's to spewing fries and lung butter all over the clean sidewalks of Canada.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard