Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Andrew - in addition to pumpkin pie and Dutch apple berry pie, I made a pumpkin cheesecake that was TO DIE FOR. I cobbled it together from a few different recipes and it turned out fantastic. I will definitely be making it again.
Here’s the recipe - note that pumpkin purée is NOT pumpkin pie mix. Also, if you like cheesecake and don’t have a springform pan, invest in one - you won’t be sorry. You could however make this in a baking dish - just wouldn’t be all pretty. (Also note, this is a gluten free version, but if you don’t have a gluten problem, you could use regular flour and regular ginger snaps).

Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake

Mix 3 x 8 oz cream cheese (softened at room temp) with
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tbsp all-purpose gluten free flour
Beat until smooth low to medium with electric mixer
Add 1/2 cup sour cream, mix
Add three large eggs ( mixing one at a time) and 1 tsp vanilla extract
Add 15 oz plain pumpkin purée

Crust:
7 oz package gluten free ginger snaps, crushed
1/3 cup walnuts, ground up (optional)
1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp) melted
Mix ingredients and pat into bottom of buttered 9 inch springform pan (make sure you grease the pan and cover the outside bottom and bottom edges with foil in case of leakage)

Pour filling into pan on top of crust
Place on a baking sheet in 325 degree oven
(You can place a flat roasting pan with 1-1/2 inches water on the shelf below or place it in a water bath - I had good luck with just putting the roaster on the shelf below. You can also do without but the cheesecake is more likely to crack).

Bake at 325 in preheated oven for 70-80 minutes, until mostly set. Turn off oven and open oven door slightly, and leave in oven for 45 minutes. Then let cool on counter and refrigerate, covered, overnight or at least 4 hours. Decorate with walnut halves or candies walnuts if desired and serve with whipped cream.

A
A
Thanks for sharing kml. I've only ever used pumpkin pie mix once in my life. The pie turned out OK but being a bachelor I have the luxury of being able to take time in meal prep. And am a bit of a snob about ingredients laugh The window for getting pumpkins here is fairly small and it's tough to find a pie pumpkin close to Christmas. I may pick one up today if I can find one, cube and freeze it.

That's clever baking it over a pan of water. I've never heard of that before. I wonder if that works with brownies too.

Since S and three of her kids have gluten sensitivity, tested gluten free recipes are a great thing. I do own one smallish spring-form pan that I picked up for Robbie Burns day to stack the haggis, neeps and tatties although I ended up using a different pan. Thanks for sharing. I'll add this to my list of DB recipes which includes Jack 3 Beans' Chicken Marsala.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Saw the new Mr Rogers movie yesterday. Tom Hanks was great. And it really inspires you to be a better person.

Today my son and I went to see Midway. Great cast, very well done. But man, war is the stupidest thing man has ever done.

job Offline
kml,

I agree w/you on the movies, i.e., Mr. Rogers and Midway. They were both done very well and yes, war is the stupidest thing man has ever done.

I'm going to go see Knives in the am. I'm curious to see how that one plays out.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Oh yeah, we saw the preview for Knives Out today, what a cast!

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hmmm...just thinking about a certain friend of ours whose ex and OW were reading her thread. Skimming back over her posts, I can't imagine how an OW could read them and not feel completely ashamed. The kindness, the consideration she extended to her ex, the being bamboozled by her H to believe that he wasn't having an affair when he was, etc. How must an OW feel reading that? Clearly this OW has no character at ALL if that didn't make her feel guilty. The GALL of that OW to announce this to our friend, too.

I can only guess that the OW feels her relationship is threatened by reading that OP was NOT in some "marriage in name only" or some horrible harridan. And the fact that OP's ex is carefully following her dating a new man - probably making OW very jealous so she felt she had to strike out.

I can understand that some people get conned into an affair - so many cheaters claim "we were only staying together for the kids" or "the marriage died a long time ago" while simultaneously continuing to keep up a loving front with their spouses. An affair partner must feel pretty stupid once you find out you fell for that. And HOW would they ever trust their new partner again? I can't feel sorry for the torment that this particular OW is probably going through now. She has earned it.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
And again, so grateful my ex didn't marry one of his affair partners, but a woman he met about 9 mos after our split. I don't know how those of you with young kids manage it when the ex is with the person they cheated with. Ginger, you are a saint!

job Offline
kml,

I enjoyed the movie, Knives Out. It was a murder "mystery" of sorts and you don't find out until about 20 minutes to the end that the murder was not what it appeared to you throughout the movie. Great cast of people.

I agree w/you about the situation elsewhere on this forum. The ow must have felt threatened and wanted to keep tabs on our dear friend. It's sad when you have a stalker lurking and then you, as the poster, feel the need to disappear for a while and return much later. I do wonder how our dear friend was "outed" as the posting name is very unusual. I hope that our poster will return.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So I’m a little slow getting Christmas together this year. I did poke around in the garage today and bring in one box of mom’s decorations. Then I opened another box and guess what? It had my fathers wallet in it. My father, who died in 1969 leaving my mom a widow with four kids.

It had a photo of my mom, his drivers license, his Elks Club member card and such. And hilariously, it held a couple of business cards from a friend of his who was a member of the LAPD. On the back of one was written “Hi, X is a good friend of mine and I’d appreciate it if you gave him every consideration”. On the back of the other it said “My friend is a lush and you should take away his keys”.

My dad was an extrovert and the life of every party. It doesn’t surprise me that his friend kidded with him like this, or that my dad thought it was such a funny joke.

B
B
how wonderful to find that wallet K ... xoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver