Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks KML and Job.

Kitty cat update:

Still missing PJ. frown

It is getting easier though. (I still refuse to drive down the street where he got hit.)

It looks like I may be getting two kittens. Two INSIDE kittens that will NEVER be allowed outside. Two little guys that I can spoil rotten.

I'm not "overly religious", but I do consider myself to be a believer. I don't go to church every Sunday, but I do pray daily and read my Bible from time to time and I do try to be a decent person.

Last night, I asked God that if it was meant for me to get 2 instead of 1, to please give me a sign. I got that sign today I think.

The manager of my apartment complex told me that if I wanted to get 2 cats, she would cut the pet deposit in half and also cut the pet rent in half. So, I'd basically be getting two for the price of one.

It is settled.

I'm getting two..first week of September.

Something interesting about how this whole experience changes people:

Ten years ago, I hated cats....couldn't stand them and couldn't stand to be around them.

Look at me now.

What the H3ll happened to me?

Haha.

Tad

Last edited by job; 08/23/19 12:47 PM. Reason: edited a word

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Bomb 10/10 (5 weeks after 25th anniversary)
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
B
B
you're becoming who you always were, deep down inside, without any masks.

congrats on the new fur babies oxoxox

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
D
DnJ Online
D
Two for one. I’d take that as a sign too.

I did laugh at the “look at me now / what the h3ll happened to me”. smile Pretty nice change buddy.

And I like the way bttrfly said it.

The first week of September is going to be exciting. Two little guys ripping around, and Tad spoiling em rotten. Sounds great!

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
DnJ #2862543 08/23/19 12:51 PM
job Offline
God works in mysterious ways. He sent PJ to you a while back and you learned to love him and look forward to his visits. PJ crossed the Rainbow Bridge and now you have an opportunity to give two little fur babies a loving home. I do believe that PJ opened the door for all of this to happen because you have opened your heart to an animal that you previously would not have ever considered adopting.

Tad, I am so very happy for you. You will enjoy those little babies and I can guarantee you that your life will never be the same because they will keep you on your toes and in stitches laughing at them and the most important thing...they will love you unconditionally just as you will love them too.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
A
A
I've pretty much always had cats 2 at a time - sometimes 3. Never allowed out. My "girls" are about 7 or so now. Middle aged lady cats. They are indoor only cats and a great comfort to me on bad days. A nuisance some other days especially in the mornings when they are demanding to be fed because they are so starved that they can see part of the bottom of their bowl.

Some practical "cat dad" info. Siblings are best I've always felt. My girls are sisters and before that I had a brother/sister pair. If you have the room, get 2 litter boxes. When they are young cleaning the boxes daily is a good idea. I do mine twice a week and sometimes they can be a bit ripe in the summer.

For my litter boxes, I use clumping litter. I also take them and scrub them with dish soap and a stiff brush once a month and then spray them with an enzyme that eats the bacteria that can cause odours. It also works on any accidents they may have. One of my girls regularly pees over the edge of the box - her butt is higher than the sides.

Neutering is an absolute must. It not only eliminates the chance of extra kittens (I originally wrote unwanted) but it also calms them down and prevents spraying. I've always had the cats declawed. A lot of vets refuse to do this now and TBH I agree with them. It does mean a certain amount of random destruction and planning on what they are allowed to claw and helping teach them what is OK and what isn't.

I only feed my girls Purina Indoor cat food split between a morning and evening feeding. The crunchy kibbles help keep their teeth clean. They love getting brushed and a good brush is handy. Kittens may resist being brushed or be too "busy" having fun to sit still but eventually it will be something everyone will enjoy.

If you take a trip, they will be fine on their own for a few days. Just make sure they have lots of water and a full food bowl. My daughter has left her two alone for up to 3 or 4 days at a time.

Good luck Tad - and I'm happy to hear that you are adding some fur buddies to your life. They will add much joy, some laughter to your world.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
T
OP Offline
T
Bttrfly, DnJ, Job and AndrewP.

Thank you all very much for the nice words and tips.

Andrew, I will get two, but not sure if I'll be able to get siblings since I will be adopting them from the Humane Society. I will check it out though. As for declawing. I will not be doing that. Just don't believe in it. I'm okay with the random destruction. Haha. They will also be spayed/neutered when I adopt them so we're good there.

I'm anxious and a little nervous too. Hope that I will be able to take care of them and be a good cat dad. This will be a new adventure for me.

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
D
DnJ Online
D
Originally Posted by tadpole1025
I'm anxious and a little nervous too. Hope that I will be able to take care of them and be a good cat dad. This will be a new adventure for me.

This is a fantastic outlook and attitude.

Andrew has given some very good advice on the care of the kittens. He’s quite the experienced cat dad, and you’ll be a pro in no time.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
DnJ #2862611 08/23/19 07:49 PM
job Offline
Also, get a scratching post. This will help keep their front claws trimmed. I have two of them and "Bear" uses it all of the time. Don't have any issues w/him clawing the furniture. I just need to teach him how to turn off the bathroom light once he's turned it on and left the room.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
T
OP Offline
T
smile

Thanks DnJ and Job.

Just hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Hope it is the right decision. (Just a little doubt setting in.)

Going to spend the next week kitty cat proofing my apartment.

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
T
OP Offline
T
Just journaling.

I've spent the last week or so getting ready for my new fur babies. I'm adopting two kittens from the Arizona Humane Society on Tuesday. I'm a little nervous about it, but excited too. I've never had two cats of my own before...I've never even liked cats until the "new" me came around after the divorce. I hope I can be a wonderful daddy to them.

It's been a couple of weird days. The other night while I was going through some things in my apartment to get ready for the kittens, I found a few emails that I kept from XW that were written around the time she left. Boy, I had forgotten how mean she was towards me...I mean REALLY FREAKING mean. I had forgotten some of it and was just dumbfounded by not just her anger, but her coldness. So very cold. Or, maybe I'm just seeing it with new eyes now that I've changed and so much time has gone by? It's hard to imagine that someone who said all those terrible things and treated me the way she did, someone who was so cold actually loved me at one point. What happened?

Anyways, I threw them out. Don't want to read them again and wish I hadn't found them.

Still kind of hurts though.

Even after all this time.

Wish I knew what happened to the wonderful girl I fell in love with. I can still look back at the times we had early in our marriage or when we were dating. Seems like a lifetime ago. The memories are there, but they are starting to fade I'm afraid.

Also, today would have been our 34th wedding anniversary. THIRTY FOUR YEARS. It's funny, if she hadn't jumped on the crazy train, I'd still be there.

Enough for now.

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard