Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Maika #2852134 06/07/19 05:36 PM
M
Maika Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Just saw your comments Dawn and Ginger. That makes a lotta sense about leaving the custody stuff out. I am not on any site right now, but just gearing up to get out on the market. I think I will probably start with Bumble. I dunno about Tinder, but I might give it a shot. Any suggestions?

No one is coming to save you!

Maika #2852136 06/07/19 05:45 PM
T
T
I did not like Tinder. I liked Bumble although your game needs to be tight. People make quick decisions on the swiping apps so your pictures better be money. I had a buddy and his wife take pictures for me. His wife and her friends vetted them out.

I met the Dr. on Match.

Think about how you can use some humor, try to make it light and not so serious. Girls want to laugh and envision what their life would be like if they chose you. Give them the dream M.

"I love rock climbing, I have been known to hang a little to the right"...….

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
Maika #2852137 06/07/19 05:50 PM
D
D
I see women being hung up on height much like men being hung up on weight. I saw LOTS of men's profiles that said something to the effect of "if you weigh over" or "if you are plus-size", don't bother messaging me. I am not trying to start a debate about people's health and I am fully aware that people can diet and lose weight, so that isn't my point. I also know, as someone will inevitably think and maybe even point out, height is out of a person's control but weight isn't. My overall point here is that if a woman is going to be so shallow as to look past you because you don't measure up to some idealized height standard, then she isn't the one for you anyway. I'm a tall woman (5'11") so I absolutely prefer tall men, but I would never rule someone out because they were shorter than me, anymore than I would rule out someone who was significantly heavier or lighter than me. Those women who basically post "no short dudes" are just as bad as the dudes who post "no fat chicks", in my opinion.

Be strong and confident and you will attract quality women. Don't worry about women who have hang-ups about specific things that you have absolutely no control over. That's on them.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
Maika #2852141 06/07/19 06:12 PM
M
Maika Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hahahahah! I almost spit out my coffee reading that J. That's a bit risque lol, but definitely funny.

Dawn - thanks for the feedback. Yeh, I don't want to date someone who is hung up about things I can't control. And I would extend the same level of courtesy as well. I come across really confident and personable in person and I need to translate that into the online apps. I have a good idea what to do with my profile now and will take a new set of pics and see how things go.

Great thing about being on this side of the forum is all y'all OLD vets smile

Maika #2852143 06/07/19 06:18 PM
T
T
LOL.....I would not advise using that but you get the drift.

We all have tastes and preferences but at minimum M you have to feel some level of attraction.

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
Maika #2852150 06/07/19 07:15 PM
M
Maika Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Definitely! Alright, Bumble here I come... in the next week or so. And then maybe the paid apps. Thanks a ton folks for helping me clean up my OLD act smile

Maika #2852169 06/07/19 09:21 PM
J
J
Hey Maika

I just signed up for OLD as well. I agree with everyone else. Humor helps so much. Maybe add a sentence of what types of books you enjoy. I always take note of that and if a guy reads similar books that I do, it makes for easy conversation and I take note.

But I do think it’s a numbers game. Are you writing to women? When you write to them are you making it known that you read their profile? I get that you might not get back a response. But how long does it take to read a profile? 45 seconds? To write a message? 2 minutes? That’s not much of an investment. Just make sure your messages aren’t generic “hi how are you” or “great profile and great pics”. Someone posted something they obviously cut and pasted and reuse over and over that tells me about them (like another profile) and then they write “tag. Your it” meaning, I’m supposed to respond. The guys I feel safer about responding to are the ones that brought up something I wrote about.

M: 42
H: 43
Twins age 5
WAH in summer
Maika #2852181 06/07/19 11:57 PM
K
kml Offline
K
Google okcupid blog most effective openers for a good article based on their research

Maika #2852426 06/10/19 06:36 PM
M
Maika Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Juju. Yeah, I am not going to go for generic messages. I know it's a numbers game, but I don't want to waste my time on a date with someone when we may not have much in common. I am not desperate to just go out on dates. I know that most of them won't go the distance, but at least if I am investing some time, I'd like to have a good time and having common interests can facilitate that.

kml - thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Maika #2854717 06/26/19 07:08 PM
M
Maika Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Haven't taken the dating plunge yet, but probably by the end of summer.

Not sure if I had mentioned it on this side the board, but I had injured my hand and knee in an indoor climbing incident last summer and I was out for a whole year. Put a huge damper on my spirits and my GAL and other things took a hit. I hadn't worked out in a while as well because of the injuries. But, I am almost healed and I restarted climbing few weeks back and I am taking it slow. Not tackling the hard stuff and getting back to where I left off, but I am not too far off now.

I also rejigged my schedule and added more GAL. I rejoined a local gym and I go every day now after work, which has just been so amazing. The gym also has classes and started taking yoga once a week, which has helped my knee a lot too. Trying to strengthen it and using different tactics to get there - strength training, yoga, and meditation.

Also started my routine of going to the movies once a week. I love the local indie theatre and they play off-beat and foreign films and it's been a blast.

I am also in the process of making moves in my professional career. I've exhausted my skill set where I am at and there is no room to move up. So, I am in preliminary conversations about a different role with a different team and hopefully it pans out - more dollars and more responsibility in areas that I want to further my skills and take my career. So, the good news is slowly pouring in, but I am hella patient lol.

Things with exW are settled and predictable. She and her bf have done a full kinda blend of families now and it just sounds ridiculous and exhausting. Taking care of 2 kids is a lotta work, now they have to do it for 4 lol. Well, that's their deal and hopefully it's gonna work out for them.

Life is good and I am getting better physically and mentally. Not being physically active has had a brutal consequence in the gym - got so weak lol. But, I am building it back up diligently and it's nice to have that perverse pleasure from muscle soreness the next day.

Saving up $$$ for getting my full sleeve done by next summer. Gonna cost me 2-3k. But, it's my gift to me before I turn 40 smile

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard