Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
JujuB #2892822 04/21/20 12:05 AM
K
kml Offline
K
Re: you comment on Ginger's locked thread:
Nurses being laid off? I don’t get that one.

Nurses who work for clinics that are currently closed - think plastic surgeons, gastroenterologists, even orthopedists, etc. People are not coming in for office visits and elective procedures or surgeries and not every medical office can run on virtual visits. (Even though mine largely can, I'm only seeing 1/3 of my normal patients and not quite making enough to keep my staff paid, much less pay myself - if that PPP loan doesn't come through and things don't pick up soon, I could have to lay off my medical assistants too.). In our city, Covid cases have been well controlled, so there's not that big an increased demand for acute care nurses - and it's probably all been offset by the lack of need for post-op care nurses, since many surgeries are elective and have been postponed..Many doctor's practices have been badly hurt by this too.

JujuB #2892828 04/21/20 03:49 AM
D
D
To add to all the the info KML provided, that I would echo, pretty much anything but true emergecies or covid cases are being indefinitely postponed. So hip transplants, knee replacment, etc unless they like have a new fracture and can’t stand or something. Even more serious things are put on hold. The New England Journal of Medicine released a great article about this over the weekend. It includes actual cases like a cardiac case that nearly died because at first they told him to wait. Luckily that got over-ridden but he decompensated on the table. The article talks about setbacks for cancer and a large variety of issues related to putting near all focus on covid while ignoring nearly everything else.

My state has tested about 50,000 people. About 4,500 have tested positive while 46,000 have tested negative. As of today 420 covid patients were hospitalized. The state population is about 5.5 million. There are 1,900 ISU beds and about 13,000 hospital beds throughout the stare. The thing is most are currently empty. On top of this they have built a temporary overflow hospital that, like Washington state did, will likely see zero patients and then be torn down - this while laid off hospital workers and empty beds sit idle. Just the money wasted on that could potentially have paid some unemployment for those laid off.

There is so much more to all of this than flattening the curve. The unintended consequences will be so far reaching and not fully understood until all of this is over. I could go on and on and perhaps I will on my own thread. Thing is my state is far from unique. 4,600 covid patients. 224 covid deaths. 379 flu deaths 2017=2018 season with barely a peep and no drastic action. 300,000 unemployment filings in the last 30 days. There is way way more to this than CNN and MSNBC are telling you.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
JujuB #2892838 04/21/20 11:03 AM
G
G
Juju, some nurses in the out patient areas have been laid off. However, they have all had the opportunity for redeployment . Our maternity nurses are now med -surg nurses, our PACU nurses are now Non COVID ICU nurses. The money that there is to be made in our area now is insane. Very risky, but wow, I could be in a NYC field hospital right now for $100/hr. The nursing homes that knocked out half of their staff due to patients are hiring in the spot.

This is not a flu. And the fact it is not a flu has implications on the healthcare system that goes down the line that could be crippling and even more deadly if it is not controlled. There is nothing comparable between flu and COVID. It is truly wiping people out and the nature of the illness is affecting the healthcare system and its resources like I’ve never seen . And if we just let everyone go about there business in this past month, that number would surpass any flu deaths like you haven’t seen.

JujuB #2892841 04/21/20 12:12 PM
T
T
The Doc has laid off 1 of her MA's and 1 of her front office staff. She applied for the loan but was told there was no more funding left so she won't get it unless more money is released. Her patient count is down roughly 70 to 80 percent and now has maybe 2 to 4 telehealth consultations a day. She is also in the process of expanding her office and doubling her rent. Not good timing.

My best friend is a CRNA in Nashville. All elective surgeries have been postponed at his hospital and his hours have been cut down to 20 per week.

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
Ginger1 #2892857 04/21/20 03:36 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Ginger1
There is nothing comparable between flu and COVID. It is truly wiping people out and the nature of the illness is affecting the healthcare system and its resources like I’ve never seen . And if we just let everyone go about there business in this past month, that number would surpass any flu deaths like you haven’t seen.

I’m sure that is very true where you are. It’s simply not the case - or even close everywhere. And that’s the problem. Not every place is NYC or Jersey or Michigan or for a period Washington. That’s why half a dozen states never closed and are doing better than those who did close. It’s also why we were told as many as 1,500 would die by April 8 in my state even with social distancing and as of April 21 we are still 5 times below that number. I don’t doubt for one minute what you are experiencing is very real - it’s just not happening most places and never will. So while you have the chance for $100 an hour 22 million people have no paycheck. Imagine if you had no paycheck for a month or two Ginger. What would that feel like. We can’t forget about the 22 million who may lose their jobs because their employer doesn’t survive. Most hospitals and clinics and doctors offices will likely re-open. Some bars, restaurants, hair places, sign shops, dog groomers, printers may not. In fact my sister in law has worked for the same company for near 25 years. She was told on Monday she was being laid off and the company believes they will file bankruptcy before the end of the summer. Her once 100K job may be gone at age 52. She’s already taken pay cuts. It’s not only covid patients and their families suffering and impacted. And it did not have to be like this everywhere. NYC and others likeky had no choice. What is best for a specific disease may not be best for the other aspects of life. You can’t only focus on disease and ignore everything else. Coming off the best economy and lowest unemployment of my lifetime to 22 million already unemployed is a true travesty - on top of the disease of covid which we are not going to stop any more than we can stop a hurricane.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
JujuB #2892869 04/21/20 05:14 PM
K
kml Offline
K
Don - the reason it's not worse elsewhere is precisely BECAUSE we took the measures we did. They're painful but successful prevention doesn't mean the threat wasn't real. And if we reopen too early without appropriate precautions - everybody wearing masks, 6 foot distancing in the workplace and at restaurants etc., adequate testing and contact tracing - we will enter another peak before you know it.

BTW - don't just rely on deaths - morbidity is pretty awful too - and don't assume this is over - we will be dealing with it for the next two years at least.

It's easy to say "oh, they shouldn't have postponed elective surgeries " but really - would YOU have wanted to go into the hospital for say a non-urgent hernia repair knowing it was the most dangerous place in your town for catching Covid? I sure wouldn't.

Yes, healthcare business has been hurt just like everyone else. But there would be a lot more economic pain if we hadn't done this. And there would have been a lot fewer deaths and less economic pain if w had done what South Korea did.

When this peak subsides about 1 in every 500 people in New York City will have died. ! in 500. That your area has been spared that so far is a testament to the effects of the measures that have been taken.

JujuB #2892925 04/22/20 01:02 AM
D
D
420 covid patients in the hospital in my state yesterday (April 20) today there are 358 - a 15% reduction in one day. The number has gone down for over a week now. Meanwhile the very same day 10,913 new people filed for unemployment in the state. (April 20) just think about that - 10 thousand newly unemployed people while less are sick. Oil for the first time in the history of the planet has gone negative. Life requires balance and risk/benefit analysis. You cannot just turn off the country or the world and expect to survive.

I’m not going to fill up jujus thread with something I really should put on my own - besides this is no different than politics or religion or abortion, people are not going to change their minds. At least pay attention to the daily changes. The predictions of millions of people dying and hospitals being over-run are just unfounded and were wrong. It didn’t happen - not even close. Continuing to act otherwise is crazy. I continue to have infinitely greater fear of the “cure” than I do the virus.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
JujuB #2892963 04/22/20 01:36 PM
J
JujuB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It did happen here though. We didn’t shut down early enough. Especially considering our transportation system which makes us more vulnerable. The rest of the country was able to shut down earlier - which is why your not seeing what we are. But look at what happened in that meat industry. It just takes one positive carrier for things to really escalate.

I was watching protesters in other parts of the country - and initially annoyed, but then wondered why the spin wasn’t put on how financially desperate people are to defy these measures to protect them. And that desperation is due to poor govt response. What stimulus checks? I’m never received one and it’s certainly not enough. Unemployment enrollment is a mess. Everyday the website changes and all sorts of glitches and no info as to whether your approved. The fact that people live paycheck to paycheck here says something too. Other countries are handling this much better then we are. Also, the guidelines for what’s essential make no sense. Like a landscaper can come weekly and mow the lawn but they are not allowed to put seeds down. So people are mad at the craziness. I was not allowed to wear a mask when visiting really vulnerable patients during the time it was spreading then all of a sudden we were allowed. Initially I was as told to quarantine for 14 days after exposure the. 7 then as long as no fever for 3 days. It sends mixed messages. And people are confusing that with thinking there is no need for caution.

My surprise was that nurses couldn’t be relocated like they are here. But more that hospital systems are not able to continue paying staff when they are receiving lots of funds. School districts are able to do it and county/state/federal government can. I’m super concerned cause my hours have been dropped so much - I had to apply for uninsurance (which I haven’t heard from) but I know they will return and I will be in high demand for summer . But then how do I afford summer camp with the lost work? If I could choose a protest it would be for school to be open in summer - at least for 1 month - to help parents get back to work and so the kids aren’t super behind. I have been super stressed.

Anyway this hasn’t been easy for anyone. Each state is unique. NY is certainly very different from the rest of the country - I think only in that it’s harder to contain. Other states are not seeing what we did because it’s easier to contain and quarantine- but that doesn’t mean you guys didn’t need to do so. My sons friends dad just died from it. He’s not that much older then me. It really is Bad when not contained.

M: 42
H: 43
Twins age 5
WAH in summer
JujuB #2892968 04/22/20 02:20 PM
J
JujuB Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Btw it’s been super stressful for me but some great things too. Like I have a beautiful new ring smile

M: 42
H: 43
Twins age 5
WAH in summer
JujuB #2892995 04/22/20 05:53 PM
K
kml Offline
K
CONGRATUATIONS JUJU!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard