Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
D
I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Good luck with that. And, good luck with the roommate. I hope it is a good and positive experience for you.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
N
N
Glad to hear from you Cnut. Music is magic man. You are entering a new world doing that. Itīs like learning to ride a bike, once you start you wonīt end it.

Any news from your S?

WW H(me): 53
W: 48
T: 27 M: 22
S: 18
Piecing since 03/2016
Saw the light in the storm
C
Coconut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by neffer

Any news from your S?

He is doing well in school, feels like he is on top of everything. I'm going to visit him at school this coming weekend, we are going to go to Halloween Horror Nights while im there.. I always wanted to take him, but he was never a fan of haunted houses, but now that he's older (and braver lol) he is looking forward to it.

M - 9 1/2 years
5/5/16 - Bomb drop - 3 week EA
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
N
N
What a fearless men! Enjoy it but donīt repress the screams, nobody is going to tell.

Piecing since 03/2016
K
kml Offline
K
Good job on the roommate - that sounds ideal!
And go for it with the guitar - I learned to play the drums at 53 during my divorce and it was the best thing I ever did. Joined an adult rock band class (think "School of Rock" for grownups) and ended up playing in a punk rock cover band for several years. Picked up vibraphone and glockenspiel on the way and have toured professionally with my best friend who is a professional singer/songwriter. I'm living proof that you can teach old dogs - or middle aged moms - new tricks!

N
N
Great kml! I play bass and I usually play some nights at some places here where I live. We have a rock and roll band. Music is the best anti stress therapy.

Piecing since 03/2016
C
Coconut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
What a great weekend.. Drove down to FL to see my son this weekend, he's in Orlando so it's about 3 hours less to drive there than down to Ft. Lauderdale which was nice (but still a long drive). Saturday we spent most of the day just doing what he does on a daily basis on campus, he showed me around to all of his classes, library, gym, cafeteria, student union, etc.. It was nice to get a glimpse into his new life, he got a roommate while I was there, so it was nice to get to meet him (my son had the dorm to himself but the other guys room flooded so they reassigned him).

He stayed at the hotel with me Sat night, we played board games and checkers in the lobby until midnight or so, then Sunday there was some special Pokémon Go event going on at his school, he really wanted to do it so we walked around campus again catching pokemon.. He played it when he was younger but had stopped, but picked it back up since there are soooo many students that play (there are a lot of special pokemon features around his campus) and he has a good time with it. I have to admit, it was a pretty fun event, I couldn't believe how many people were participating and with everyone doing the same thing, everyone was very open and welcoming, you end up meeting a lot of new people playing it.

anyway, went to Halloween Horror Nights Sunday night, it was a blast. I gotta say, the express passes were very pricey, but I'm very happy I got them. We managed to do all the haunted houses and a few other rides since we never had to wait more than 10 minutes in any line. We followed a couple of people walking into an unmarked opening in the wall and ended up in Diagon Alley, it was such a cool surprise.. neither of us had ever been there or even knew it existed in universal studios (we had been to Hogsmeade in islands of adventure several times). There was something really cool about getting lost in a hidden world that you didn't know was there (which is the basis of the wizarding world), it was a great experience.

I can't tell you all how proud I am of him, his goal right now is to try and get into medical school which I knew, but I wasn't aware of everything he is doing now to help prepare him for that. He is signing up for every workshop he can find, he has talked with panels of Dr.'s to get the inside scoop on what is really important when applying for med school (he said his biggest takeaway was to do what he has passion for, not just to get check marks on an application). He has joined the biology and chemistry club's (his major is biology), he's applied to be part of a research group to research the effects hurricane Maria had on diabetics (such as loss of power and difficulty in keeping insulin refrigerated, finding healthy food to eat, etc.) in Puerto Rico.

I asked about his girlfriend and he told me that before he left for school he was having a hard time in his R (which I knew), that he told her he wasn't in love with her anymore (weeks before he left for school), but they agreed to continue seeing each to see if they can make it work. At first I thought he meant like, seeing each other but others too, and he quickly corrected me and said that he was a one relationship person, that he is committed to her even though he doesn't feel that "spark"... Then he added (which I was impressed with) "I didn't love her when we first started dating, so I'm giving the R time to see if I can be feel in Love with her again". I know she's been up there to visit him a couple of times and he's gone back home a couple of times, so they are still seeing each other every couple of weeks. Regardless of if the R lasts or not, I was pretty impressed with his understanding that losing the "feeling" of love didn't mean that the R should just be ended.

As for me, I've been keeping busy, I do a lot of the same things (camping, fishing, etc.) most of the time, although in new places, I feel like ya'll don't want to keep hearing about the same things over and over, so I don't post much of that. I am not currently "looking" for anyone, so there aren't any stories to tell there, but if someone pops up i'll be sure to mention it. I've only been able to practice on the guitar 3 nights so far (been out of town or out on the town the other nights), but i'm enjoying it and want to focus on one thing at a time to really get a good feel for it before moving to the next (strumming, chords, etc.). It's going to be a slow process but I want to do it right. So far things with my renter are working out well, he gets home around 8:30 and is in his room within an hour and is gone before I get out of bed in the morning.. working out great so far.

M - 9 1/2 years
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
D
D

It sounds like your son is coming into his own. Medical school sounds wonderful. He's ambitious and that's a good thing.

It continually blows my mind when I think of how quickly they grow up.

N
N
Yes, we must teach them how to fly but we canīt follow their flight.

Congrats on your S Coco, be as proud of him as I know you are.

Piecing since 03/2016
C
Coconut Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Been awhile since i've posted, I've been coming on the site and reading a few updates every now and then, but when you don't keep up with the threads on a regular basis it can be very difficult to catch up with what's going on. Anyway, I thought I'd go ahead and post a quick update.

Things have been busy but not much new in my life, fall is definitely the busiest part of my year, I've been out of town every other weekend since I went to Alaska back in August; a lot of camping and/or fishing trips, I've visited my son at school and back home with the rest of my family and friends, and have been enjoying what have been very good life moments. I think the toughest thing about going back home is spending time with friends, I mean real friends, and realizing that I don't have that connection with anyone here. My closest friends in NC are people I've meet in my fishing club, but there isn't anyone local, so although I have a bond with them when we get together, they aren't the kind of friends that come over and just hang out, it's almost always some sort of event when we meet up.

Although I probably could spend more time with local acquaintances (guys), I haven't met anyone that I just click with or that interests me to hang out with regularly. We go out to restaurants, clubs, bars, events, but I just haven't made a connection with anyone that made me want to spend more time hanging out. It may be just that I haven't spent enough quality time with them to learn enough to find interest, whatever the reason, it just hasn't happened.

I have been pretty happy being single and haven't put any effort into dating, but I think that's starting to change. One thing I have noticed is that my anger/hatred towards my ex has really been diminishing, or at least as we all know, as time goes on the number of good days increase in comparison to bad days, but now the bad days are so far apart I don't even remember the last time I've had one. Anyway, I read DonH's posts about how much fun he had with WG and how he misses those times, Gingers posts about working her way into a R and enjoying the journey, and Dawn's posts about being engaged and it all makes me kind of want that. It's easy to not miss having a companion when you haven't had one for awhile, but reading about the joys of companionship starts the seeds of longing to grow, so I think I may get back out there soon, I'm pretty busy through new years, but I may start dating again after that (or maybe sooner if I meet someone organically).

I'm having a Christmas party tomorrow, about 23 people confirmed, but now we have a major winter storm that's coming in and gonna hit the area, just not clear if it will be Sat night or early Sun morning, or if it will be rain or snow, we will be on the edge of a cold front and a low (warm air), so they aren't able to pinpoint exactly where the snow will stop. My plan was to have music, bonfire and tables and chairs set up outside and kind of split people between indoors and outdoors, but this storm may change that. My house is decent size, but it could end up getting pretty cozy with that many people all inside at once, we shall see..

ok, gotta get back to work.

M - 9 1/2 years
10/31/16 - We sold house
01/10/18 - D Finalized
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard