Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
Hi guys,

Checking in from the Burbank airport bar, with beer in hand. It's been a whirlwind and I'm ready to come home. But with all the flood alerts in my area of the county, I'm not so sure. D16 cut her foot on the beach and she's out of sorts. Meanwhile, it's my 23rd anniversary and Mr. W. and I are texting from different airports. Weird. I feel like I'm in a reality show.

How about we is no different from any other site... That's where I went first.

GG, IF I go to dinner with Sweet Stuff, it's for my own closure. But if my spidey sense proves correct and he thinks things will work out, I'll cancel. Right now I just miss... ME.

And D19. Her coach told me last night he was very glad I came. He thinks she's really homesick. She probably won't say, but I think he might be right. She seemed kind of different. She was really great with D16, and let her hang out with her team.

Ok, time to get back to my football game. TTFN,

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
B
OP Offline
B
Betsey - Hope you arrived home to a drier Colorado than the one you left! You should be happy with the performance your Broncos put forth yesterday. I've always been a Peyton Manning fan and of any team that beats the Giants (other than the Cowboys which when they play the Giants I root for a 0 to 0 tie!)

I had a pretty good weekend, although the Michigan football game was MUCH more dramatic than I could have ever imagine. I went in expecting a Michigan blowout of Akron and came out of the game needing a defibrillator!! However a win is a win.

It was good to spend the weekend with D16 and D15, although D15 ended up with a nasty head cold and felt pretty miserable on the drive home. frown She is home from school today as a result.

So the oddities of online dating sites continue. I came home to see the following message from someone:

"I finally got up my nerve to join because I had a message. Sorry it was not from you :>))"

This person had viewed my profile a couple of times last week and placed me in her favorites. I had pretty much ignored her because one, she has no pictures in her profile and two, her profile consists of a one line sentence basically saying she is an active person who likes to do a variety of activities.

I'm starting to consider coming off the sites until after the New Year. With the holidays coming up I'm going to be busy with family coming in and a couple of trips planned myself. So I'm going to give the love of my life only a couple of more weeks to present herself - then it's a dating sabatical for me.

BA

S
S
Hey BA,

She could be "the one". I started online in a similar manner. Just looking through the sites. Dipped my toe in. Had no photos up. And I had a very good reason. At the time - I was heading up a very large charity campaign. My face was on the front page of the newspaper almost daily for 6 weeks. I did not feel it was right to put my face up on a dating site as well - until the campaign was over (which I did). So it is possible that she is just gun shy (understandable) but I wouldn't write her off just yet.

Barb

B
OP Offline
B
Barb,

I actually sent her a short email reply this morning saying it would be nice to see a couple of photos in her profile and some of her interests listed to get a better understanding of who she is and what she is looking for. I understand there are some good reasons why people are not forthcoming in their profiles, however there are so many people who are upfront with current pictures and specific information about who they are and what they are looking for in a partner. For me I am much more comfortable reaching out to profiles that provide a better picture and story for who they are. So this is a bit of a 180 for me to send her a reply, but I figured what the heck - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

BA

S
S
BA - I think you are doing her a favor which is great. It will be up to her to take the next step. One thing that always concerned me about guys who didn't put up pics - I figured they were married.

Barb

BA,

It was drizzling when we landed, but I made it home okay and it's just overcast right now. The sun is trying to come out for good. Maybe tomorrow?

Yep, I was in the bar just to watch Manning bowl. I left when we had started to pull away and then my BIL texted me until I had to shut my phone off. It was good. I was able to watch highlights on my iPad on the flight. Southwest has free Dish on wifi flights. It made my flight home buzz by quickly, since D16 slept.

Sorry your D16 came home sick. Sometimes I think when we go, go, go on trips that happens. I'd say it's pretty common in my house, at least. Hope she's feeling better pronto.

BTW, I'm definitely surprised your game wasn't a blow out.

Quote:
"I finally got up my nerve to join because I had a message. Sorry it was not from you :>))"

Ya know, I've definitely felt this way when getting a message. But I sure wouldn't say that to anyone. It sounds whiny. She probably should have said something more confident????

You're being more generous with her than I would be. I don't have time to draw out people's strengths. I just want for them to present themselves the way they want to be perceived.

Barb, I completely understand your motivations on why you chose not to post a photo right out of the gate - it worked for you. But in DC, you don't get many chances to make an impression.

If you need a cheerleader on resting, BA, I'll lead it. It's liberating. Basically, I've found out that what Wii said is how I feel. I'm beginning to see that my friends are rock stars and all I need right now. Anything else is work, and I just don't want to spend my time up to the holidays "working" at stuff already not on my plate.

Quote:
I've always been a Peyton Manning fan and of any team that beats the Giants

My aforementioned BIL lives in Indy, and still a huge Peyton fan as well as the Colts. He's always liked the Donkeys. His quip to me years ago: "I root for the following teams in this order: Colts, Broncos and whoever is playing the Patriots." LOL. Mine is pretty much the same (in reverse and whoever plays the Raiders).

Off to get some stuff done that didn't get done while I was gone. I'm already behind and not getting closer to accomplishing anything by being here. wink

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
K
kml Offline
K
Quote:
Quote:

Ya know, I've definitely felt this way when getting a message. But I sure wouldn't say that to anyone. It sounds whiny. She probably should have said something more confident????

Actually, Bets, I don't hear that as whiny. I think it's pretty flirtacious and many women don't have the guts to contact guys and basically say "you're hot!".

That being said - the "active person who likes to do lots of activities" is pretty lame - remains top be seen if she has any real substance.

B
OP Offline
B
Well she wrote back with a pretty good email that reads:

"You are probably aware I am enamored of your profile and pictures. Not quite ready to be totally out there but email me at XXXXXX@GMAIL.COM and I will send you more info and pictures." She also told me her height and weight and restated that she likes to exercise and do everything.

So we shall see where this goes. I also received an email today from a Nurse Anesthetist who would like to meet me. She has a really great profile and I'm leaning towards meeting her - just hope she doesn't try to put me to sleep! (ok I know that was bad!!) smirk

BA

K
K
watch out for Nurse Anesthetists, if she offers to let you smell her new "perfume" on a white napkin, don't!

you're apt to wake up with a mild headache and some other odd discomforts in unlikely places.

just sayin'

"In a ham and eggs breakfast, the hen is involved, but the pig is committed".
I dunno, Ellie. If she has enough balls to tell him that she's enamored with BA, why wouldn't she just be direct and say it?

I just don't know how I'd feel if some guy said that about one photo that I posted online? It just strikes me as off.

I sure hope the NA's name isn't Dori? If so, she's married to my cousin. wink

BA, the more I read the message she wrote you, the more uncomfortable I am. The first rule in those dating sites is not to give out e-mail addresses until you actually meet someone. Sorry. Red flags here. Hope I'm wrong.

Good luck!

Albert Einstein
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard