Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2301599 11/21/12 11:53 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!!!

We Canadians celebrated last month - the harvest comes earlier in the north.

Everyone here has seen their share of heartache and problems. We all know that and can relate. But everyone here has much more than the rest of the world. To start with - we all have access to a computer/Internet. I doubt any of us missed a meal yesterday. If we are ill - we have access to decent healthcare. We all have a roof over our heads and transportation outside the door. Most have a job - maybe not the perfect job - but usually it pays the bills. Gifts under the tree this year? No question about it.

The holidays seem to bring out some of the craziest of times with our exes. Best to know that up front and prepare for it. Focus on the kids - who often get caught in the crossfire. Like it or not - these are the Christmases they will remember. I'm lucky that my children remember Christmases that were peaceful and fun (for the most part) although the first couple after the split (youngest was 13) were difficult and sad. I wish I could have stopped crying that first year but I can't take it back.

If you can step back from all the drama this year - I wish you all the warm fuzzies of a Rockwell Thanksgiving and some wonderful time with your family and friends. If money is tight - think of creative gifts for loved ones or the gift of a favour or the gift of time.

I have enjoyed being in your country for the past 3 weeks. I feel very much "one of the gang" here (well, except for being denied free dessert at Olive Garden 2 weeks ago because I didn't vote). LOL - tongue in cheek. I would have loved to vote but I can't. I also would have loved dessert but I don't need it.

May your blessings be many, your troubles be few.

Some are lucky, some are not - just be thankful - for what you've got!

Cheers everyone! May we all be grateful for the support of each other here. A true blessing!

Barb

B
B
Thank you for the Happy Thanksgiving wishes! I am thankful for so many things! My family (most importantly my 4 great kids), a good job that pays the bills and then some, my health, and what appears to be the beginnings of a very nice relationship that has the real possibility of becoming long term - forgive me but I am more than a little bit excited about this! It has been a LOOOOOOONNNNNNG time since I have had feelings like I am having right now and it feels so good.

BA

R
R
Happy thanksgiving to u Barb

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

S
OP Offline
S
BA - I am SO happy for you. It takes time but when you're open to it - the right person comes along. You have every right to enjoy and be happy.

Barb

S
OP Offline
S
Rick: Do you have plans with family/friends? I hope so.

I am Canadian - we had our Thansgiving last month. I am in the U.S. tommorrow but will be flying home tommorrow. Usually I spend the holiday with dear friends in Buffalo but the logistics did not work out this time.

I hope your holiday is good despite all you've been through recently. My first Thanksgiving after H left was very difficult. The kids decided to go away with other family members (not ex) and I went to visit friends. But each year since got better and better. Just try to enjoy the moment and the good people in your life.

Thinking of you.

Barb

K
kml Offline
K
Cooking with my oldest son this afternoon. He's making his favorite caramel pecan pie, I'm making my curried pumpkin soup and some gluten-free gravy. Tomorrow we'll go (me, both sons, and my mom - daughter isn't here because she's working retail now and can't get off to come down) to the house of one of my friends from my rock band class - he and his family live quite nearby. I anticipate a lovely afternoon with family and good friends. I had to just speak up and get us invited somewhere when the usual friends and family turned out to be unavailable to come to my house this year. It's nice to have friends that you know you can call up and invite yourself over smile As the kids get older and all our lives change, I can see I'll have to be more pro-active about holidays.

R
R
Barb I'm going to my brothers house. I will be there with his family and friends. I will most likely play video games with my nephew. He is 18 now and we get along great. I invited my D. She said to text her tomorrow and she will give me an answer if she's awake. Teenagers?

M 53
D 20
Separated 6/22/11 moved out 10/24
Together 26 yrs
Married 16
W Filed for D 7/21/11
Served 9/6/11
D final 8/28/12

“Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.”

John Wooden

S
OP Offline
S
Rick - I can relate. Although my R with my kids is great - my son wasn't sure he wanted to come for Thanksgiving this year. I was not pleased nor was my daughter. I let him know it but didn't pressure him. And he came. It was more about him being with "couples" - my daughter and her BF and Josh and I. He is feeling badly about being single.

Your daughter is being a typical teen who is going through a lot right now and dealing with "divided loyalties". Hopefully she will come along but if she doesn't - just wish her the best.

Barb

S
OP Offline
S
Hey Kml,

Old traditions and new traditions - doesn't really matter. As long as you are marking the occasion and planning to celebrate and eat turkey - it will be good!

Barb

S
OP Offline
S
I am thankful for everyone I have met from this board - in Cyber Space and in Real Life. Without this place - I'm sure I would have lost my mind at times.

Barb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard