Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
K
Thank you Barb smile
same w/ your ex, and Josh is a lucky man! You guys have a wonderful life! I love to read of your travels too!

Be Happy for this Moment,
This Moment is your Life

O
O
Barbie --

We're going to Disney in a couple of weeks. What Disney hotel (value or moderate) would you recommend for a family with a 5 year old? Or, do you know of any way to get a great deal on a higher end Disney hotel?

Oh, hey Mish, any thoughts on where to find Disney bargains? We want to stay on the property.

Best,
Oldtimer
S
OP Offline
S
In the moderate range on property - my fav is Port Orleans Riverside. App $150 night. It has great amenities and is close to everything by bus or boat. It is right beside my home resort of Old Key West. I would ask for a ground floor room by the pool. It is one of the few places you can stay for that price where you can also get a room for a family of 5 if that is needed.

All Star Resorts or Pop Century are less expensive. They have less amenities but the decor is really funky and fun at each of them. All Stars is close to Animal Kingdom - but that's all. Pop Century is right in the middle of all the action and is newer. I have not stayed there but it looks cool.

I always book my own things rather than a pkg but if you need tickets to the parks - price out a pkg - sometimes you can get a good deal that way. There are not that many ways to get good deals but sometimes you can get the meal plan free (certain times of the year) and that is a GREAT deal. Call 407-WDISNEY and ask.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I practically live there at times.

Barb

M
M
The least expensive hotels on property are the all-star resorts. I stayed at the all-star movie resort the last time we went and it was just fine for us. Great pools and a cafeteria style dining option. The busses were plentiful and it was nearest Animal Kingdom.

Honestly, Disney doesn't really offer any 'deals' in the true sense of the word because they don't have to. Just the name brings people in...enough said. smile

Barbie may have more ideas since she goes down there so often.

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

M
M
See! Told you she'd have all the best info!!!

Yeah, the free dining option is awesome when it's offered.

I misspoke...we stayed at Pop Century not movie the last time. It was super funky. Loved it!

T19 M15 S19 XH47 M43
bomb12/4/07
PA5/07
S12/26/07
D final 11/17/08
Back together with no defined R 05/2010
confused....to say the least!!!

K
K
We stayed at one of the timeshares on site and it was awesome. Buses were rarely full, unlike the All Star resorts that were always packed. We had 8 people in our 2 bedroom condo and the sofa beds were really nice with lots of extra amenities.

I think they stopped doing the upgrade with my parent's time share though so we may have to stay off site next time. It was normally $455 a nite and we got the whole week for $100!

My boss just got back from Disney and he said Apple had an app for his phone which helped them get around the parks without much hassle. Their longest wait was maybe 10 minutes and this was over Spring Break!

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
#2235682 04/05/12 07:19 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Kat: I have points (Disney Vacation Club) at Old Key West, Saratoga Springs and Contemporary Bay Lake Tower. They are just wonderful and comfortable and so easy to get around. Great if you have RCI trading rights and can trade in. Otherwise the 2 bedrooms go easily for $455 or more.

But a room or 2 at any of the Value or Moderate resorts usually works fine because you don't spend much time there. When our kids were young - we were there to sleep and swim. That's it. Because there is so much to do - you don't know where to begin.

Speaking of which - buy the book "Steve Birnbaum's Official Guide to Walt Disney World". It is like the bible to Disney World. Despite the fact I could write the guide - I buy the updated version every single year. It is worth its wait in gold.

Barb

Barb

O
O
How many days is too many days at Disney with a 5-year old?

Which parks would you do besides Magic Kingdom?

Best,
Oldtimer
S
OP Offline
S
I don't think you can do too many. I took Ashley at age 3 for 3 weeks but we broke it up. I wouldn't do more than 2 full, long days in a row without a break. You can do a waterpark which is a totally different, relaxing experience then go back another day. I would plan app 5 days in the parks (or 6). It is nice to go to each park once then on one of your last days go back to your fav park and redo some of your fav things and see what you missed. It's a push to do Magic Kingdom or Epcot in a day but Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are doable. Epcot is app 4 times the size of Magic Kingdom.

Do you plan to go to the other Orlando parks? Sea World or Universal? For a first timer 5 year old - I would probably skip Universal but Sea World is nice. But just the parks at Disney will give you PLENTY to do. If you go for a week - you'll find its just not enough.

Each of the parks has areas and things suitable to kids. Epcot has the least but the kids still love it. Especially the Finding Nemo - Living Seas Pavillion.

Barb

C
C
We're heading to Disney World next year. Going to hit Universal Studios as well.

Me: 47, Ds 17-13, D final 6-11
http://tinyurl.com/yk4e2tz
http://tiny.cc/thread2
http://tinyurl.com/ydtphqu
http://tinyurl.com/thread4
http://tinyurl.com/3sm78k6
http://tinyurl.com/thread6
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard