by Michele Weiner-Davis

One question that people ask me a lot is “how do I save my marriage when I know my spouse is having an affair?”

Sometimes it’s simple and sometimes it’s not quite so simple. Let me talk about the simpler situation first. I just had a couple this week where the wife was having an affair and the husband snooped a little bit and found out that she had actually met this guy in another city. He was devasted and confronted her about it, and she was so remorseful. She loves her husband. She made a bad choice. She would do anything to save her marriage.

Then it’s clearer what to do to save the marriage because she was willing to give up this affair and give it up cold turkey. Then they could begin to heal and begin to rebuild the foundation of their relationship. He had the right to ask her to do whatever he needed her to do to comfort him.

However, many situations aren’t like that. One person finds out the other person is having an affair and that spouse is not willing to give up that affair. When the spouse is confronted they get very angry, defensive. “I can’t believe you were snooping, this is my life”. Let’s face it, then you do not have any leverage. You have a choice to make. You can draw a line in the sand and say I’m not going to put up with this, “you need to end this affair or it’s over.” Chances are, I’m telling you, nobody likes to be pressured into a corner. You’re likely to end your marriage.

If you want to save your marriage, you may have to do something that is counter-intuitive. It will take all of your strength. It will be the hardest thing you’ve ever done. You have to back off, you have to give your spouse a little space. Because most affairs end within 6 months. It’s a complicated thing, because you need to focus on your own life and not put pressure on your spouse to end their affair. It helps to have some expert advice to hold your hand and walk you down that route so you know exactly what to do.

That’s where a Divorce Busting Coach can really come in handy. Your Coach will give you a step by step map of what you need to say or what you need to do, and most importantly what you need not to say or do to the spouse who is having an affair. So test the waters. You can confront your spouse, but if your spouse gives you a hard time, do not pressure your spouse any further. You can actually make matters worse. A line in the sand may just mean the end of your marriage. Consider using a Divorce Busting Coach to help you find the way.

Michele Weiner-Davis
The Divorce Busting Center

Transform your marriage with a private 2-day intensive with Michele Weiner-Davis. http://www.themarriageintensive.com
Email michele@divorcebusting.com