Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 88 of 101 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 100 101
C
C
I do Mat Pilate's but use a rolled up hand towel for extra resistance (or you could use the bands).

You will have rock star abs soon! smile

Good luck on the open house!

Peace and love to you!

W
W
Originally Posted By: Gardener
wii,

There ya go, wii: you asked two simple questions and, not surprisingly, got two Gardener verbose diatribes! grin

Hey, no problem! I appreciate the thought you put into your replies, they are extremely helpful and always introduce me to new ideas and practices I wasn't aware of. Thanks.
Now, your Yoga is most likely Hatha, that's the basic stuff but it could be Ashtanga if it's fast paced from position to position. Ashtanga, if I recall, is more for strengthening. Anyway, I'm also reading an book you might be interested in "How God Changes Your Brain" by Andrew Newberg and Mark Robert Waldman, check it out on Amazon or another book site. It's about how meditating and prayer change your brain and other good stuff!

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
G
OP Offline
G
wii,
Originally Posted By: whatisis
"How God Changes Your Brain" by Andrew Newberg and Mark Robert Waldman, check it out on Amazon or another book site. It's about how meditating and prayer change your brain and other good stuff!
Ah, another one to add to the ever-growing reading list. I'll check it out for sure.
I have a list (forget where I got it from) that I read quickly before any heavy meditating: it states that meditation has been chemically proven to:
Increase GABA, DHEA, Melatonin, Seratonin, Endorphins, HGH
Decrease Cortisol
And improve PH Balance.
The brain, our mind - and our very real control over them - is an absolutely amazing subject.
Peace,

Gardener

"My soul, be satisfied with flowers,
With fruit, with weeds even; but gather them
In the one garden you may call your own."
Cyrano deBergerac

G
G
Hey Gardener,
Yes, I have a home, but I wrote about the good things I've found in the past year and no one responded, so I don't check very often; I guess you could say I'm a "drive by." wink

I'm a bona fide "gym rat" and was a fitness instructor for 20 years. I still love the weights, but have recently begun training on the pilates reformer and I just love it. But, then....I love anything active.

Your posts are always so positive and inspirational, thank you! I love stopping by and catching some wisdom. Next up for me will be the meditation stuff...I could use it to slow my energy down in the evening.

My life is crazy-busy and so full with new friends and new adventures; I'm truly in a good space. I just had to let go to get here and believe in all the good that will happen if we allow it.

Last edited by Golfgirl1; 07/25/10 03:34 AM.

Me 55
H 49
Married 21 years
No kids
bomb 5/09
filed 7/09
divorced and moving forward 5/10

Life is all about Plan B
G
OP Offline
G
Gg1,
Well, where is your home? And if I was ever one who read your good things without responding, I apologize. So many threads and so little time. Still, no excuse.

Dumbells were always my passion rather than barbells: they keep so many muscles firing for balance individually. Especially when you do as many exercises (as I did) while standing on one leg. For years, I owned something called The Power Block: kind of a square-framed, center-handled dumbell-within-a-dumbell-within-a-dumbell, etc. that you could use to pick up 5 lbs. Or move the pin and out would come 10 lbs., or 15, 20, etc. I loved it.

Alas, I sold it on craigslist recently in my de-stuffifying purge. Also sold my inversion table (which was SO good for my back - and for the lymphatic system, too). I'm now trying to sell my ParaBody CM3 gym with no takers so far.

That's okay, though. I find I'm more inclined to exercise when I have to get off my duff and go somewhere (fortunately 1/4 mile away) than I am when it's all right downstairs.

Also, it allows me to mingle a bit with people, do yoga, and they have a sauna, hot tub & pool!

That's all goodness since the sitch and the last twenty months have me so out of shape!

Gardener

Cyrano deBergerac

G
G
Hey Gardener,
My home is in Erie, Colorado (east of Boulder, south of Longmont). I just moved here 2 months ago from the "marital home" and I love it. My BFF (found in my support group) lives up here and we get in all kinds of trouble.:)
I love the mountains (hiking, biking, skiing, etc.)

Interesting workout with the dumbells; not sure I've heard of it, but I do train MANY different ways with balance. Oddly enough, as soon as I could "post-bomb" I amped up my training and had hoped to do a triathlon at the end of August. I'm still undecided, but I would say I'm probably really close to being in the best shape of my life at 48. So, a "deal breaker" for me are these 50-ish guys who don't work out anymore. I keep thinking maybe that sounds superficial, but I have to be my authentic self, ya know? My ex was a Navy Seal and then I watched him get more into work and less into working out and it became a problem.

I'm heading to a spin class in a few minutes and then yoga later this afternoon. Of course (hence, my name) I will have to hit a few golf balls today as well. smile

Heading to DC tomorrow to meet with Colorado legislators about public education (I'm a teacher).

Anyway, I'll check back in later; it's great to find someone who's in the same place as me.

Last edited by Golfgirl1; 07/25/10 01:47 PM.

Me 55
H 49
Married 21 years
No kids
bomb 5/09
filed 7/09

Life is all about Plan B
G
G
Oh, and I'm right there with you as well. Can't have a home gym because I would just use it as a drying rack for my clothes. I have to actually GO somewhere....

Me 55
H 49
Married 21 years
No kids
bomb 5/09
filed 7/09

Life is all about Plan B
G
OP Offline
G
Gg1,
Funny, I meant your home thread on DB. I found it and checked: I was your first response on July 2 when you moved over to Surviving. Just lost track, I guess.

By the way, I've been nosing around and I absolutely LOVED this:
Originally Posted By: Golfgirl1
What's wrong with sitting home alone?

You're only alone if you don't like the person you're with...think about it.

You must get to a place where you are okay with being alone before trying to enter into a relationship. Otherwise, you come across as "needy" and "desperate" and those are the exact kinds of men you will attract.

Remember, you don't attract what you want, you attract what you are. That might be hard to hear, but it's true.
And I love Colorado, too. Been visiting Boulder for seventeen years. First my StepD, now my son who lives in Nederland. I was last there in April for five days.

Moving after the house sells kept coming down to Colorado or Oregon. I love the mountains. Right now, Oregon's in the lead.

I played golf twice. The second time to make sure I really didn't like it laugh
Talk to you soon.
Peace,

Gardener

Cyrano deBergerac

G
G
Gardener,
Too funny....yes, I have a home thread somewhere around here, but I'm not too good at updating; I'll try and do better.

UGH! Sorry I missed you in April, but I was in no shape to meet anyone back then. That was my intense period of grief and finally letting go.

I have never been to Oregon (you do know it rains there, a lot). I can't go longer than 2 days without seeing the sun. But, I would love to visit there sometime. Traveling anywhere is another passion of mine and I've done 3 international volunteer vacations.

WHAT?? You can't just play golf twice and then quit. It's a game of patience (read, The Zen of Golf). You must be present to play the game.

Okay, back outside.....

Later, GG

Me 55
H 49
Married 21 years
No kids
bomb 5/09
filed 7/09

Life is all about Plan B
W
W
Gardener, I went out tonight and picked up some of Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's CD's. I bought Relax and Let Go (Alpha)from the Brainwave Symphony series and popped it into the car CD player on the way home (which apparently you're not supposed to do!) At first I didn't think anything about it, just continued on with the usual jibberish that occupies mine and most others brains but after about ten minutes I noticed that although I was alert to my driving and what was around me I had a very zoned out feeling, it was kind of neat. I also picked up the Delta Sleep System CD as my sleep has been a bit of an issue for the past year, we'll see how it goes! Thanks for the tip, if nothing else it will be nice relaxing music to listen to while I meditate.
Btw, I picked up the rest of the symphony series online at a used CD site for about 20 bucks inc. shipping, just in case I get bored with those Alpha waves!!!

Divorced February 27, 2012.

"Only by love is love awakened".~ Ellen G White
Page 88 of 101 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 100 101

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard