Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 100 101
S
S
I'm so glad you had a good time on your "date"! Are you gonna plan another one with her?

W42/H42/M20
S/19,D/17
On My Own: 11/28/09
G
OP Offline
G
Bunny, laugh
Originally Posted By: SpyBunny
I'm so glad you had a good time on your "date"! Are you gonna plan another one with her?
As they say on those info-mercials, 'But Wait! There's More!!", so here goes:

But Wait! There's more!! Gardener crashes and burns on first date in 18 years!! shocked

After a thoroughly delightful two weeks of fun, lots-in-common emailing, she:
A) accepts my invitation to go to a concert with me at the end of this month.
B) suggests meeting at my place for dinner and a movie ("Double feature! Let's watch two!"). I modified it to one movie: "more time to relax and talk." "Good idea," says she.

I offer to pick her up (she lives about 45 minutes away). She declines, says that's gentlemanly of me but unnecessary as she's proud of her "schlepability" and will MapQuest her way on over. Pizza? Sure. What kind? You got it!

She arrives, I give her the grand tour, we talk and talk and talk. Fun time. Pizza. Then dessert as movie starts. We chat, talk about and during the movie for I don't know how long. And I mean I really don't know for how long because the next thing that happens is...Gardener wakes up during the ending credits!!

I embarrassingly, but honestly explain to her that in order two squeeze in meeting with lawyer (a.m.), meeting with mediator (p.m.), do my job and be home in time for date, I went to work at 5:00 am that day. L & M paperwork B.S. took me until about 3:30 a.m. to finish up, so, all I could do at that point was call it an all-nighter, shower, dress and go to work at 5:00, sleepless. (Not sure if I went into all that detail right then, but I did in an email to her Saturday morning). No problem says she. She initiates good-night hug and leaves (it was late and her kids were home).

Next morning, I email more details and apology, she replies "No problem: I never would have even attempted socializing on no sleep. You're a brave man!"

This morning (Sunday) I email that I'm going to an exhibit in fairly near-by city convention center, would you like to join me? I'll drive, stay awake, and talk to make amends. No reply.

Tonight, I receive email: "I'm sorry, Gardener, this isn't going to work out for me. Thank you for the great e-mail conversations and for dinner. I wish you all the best."

I email back a bit later, "I'm sorry, too. I had a thoroughly delightful time chatting with you these past two weeks and meeting you on Friday. You are a charming person and your children are blessed with you as their mom.
Peace,
Gardener"

Kaboom. Hey, I *have to assume* she was appalled, despite the valid explanation, to be sitting in a strange house for two hours watching a movie alone next to a sleeping Gardener. I could appreciate that.
*But, hey, a "Sorry, but" email would have been nicer had it *included an explanation*.

Oh, well. I wasn't looking, just living my life and seeing who shows up (my nephew who works with her cyber-introduced us). She showed up. It was enjoyable. Not going to take it personally. Actually, what is there to take personally, anyway?

Anyway, I'm going to the concert at the end of the month, now, with nephew, as a "thank you".

And I christened my new home here Soaring Solo? Sheesh!

Womanly opinions and assessments of the above are solicited and will be much appreciated by this out-of-practice man! smile

Gardener

"My soul, be satisfied with flowers,
With fruit, with weeds even; but gather them
In the one garden you may call your own."
Cyrano deBergerac

S
S
(((Gardener)))

I had to LOL when I got to the part of you sleeping...
As a woman, I find it sweet that despite the circumstances, you put your best foot forward and went ahead with the date...
It is her loss my friend - Don't ever forget that. smile

May All Who Seek To Take My Life
Be Put To Shame And Confusion;
May All Who Desire My Ruin
Be Turned Back In Disgrace.
~Psalm 40:14~
S
S
Soaring or snoring? smile

W42/H42/M20
S/19,D/17
G
G
I will have to keep this in mind when I'm back out there again.

Me 43, S11, D7
M13
Bomb 4/20/09
Current
S
S
Her loss... I agree with Serenity- you still sounded absolutely charming!

W42/H42/M20
S/19,D/17
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: SpyBunny
Soaring or snoring? smile
And SpyBunny squeaks in with a last-minute Belly-Laugh Of The Day Award!!

Gardener

Cyrano deBergerac

C
C
Thanks for the story Gardener. Needed a laugh.

D-12
S-9
S-8
B 5/08
S 1/09
M
M
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

G - Had to check what all the hoopla was about.

Made me smile.

I will add that to my 'what not to do on a first date' list.

And I agree with the others. Her loss.

Me & H: 33 yrs
S: 4 & 6
D: 2
M: 9 yrs
ILYBNILWY: 8/09
SEPARATED: 9/09
The Beginning
G
OP Offline
G
mo3,
Originally Posted By: motherof3
And I agree with the others. Her loss.
Thanks. Your comment reminds me of a favorite, very old Doonesbury strip:

1st Panel: The Rev. Scott Sloane (campus chaplain) is sitting at a cafe table with another main character, Joan, Jr. (?), whom he's been dating (and is the first woman he's ever dated.)

Joan: "Scott, we need to talk." Scott's thought bubble: ("Uh-oh")

2nd Panel: Joan: "I've been doing some serious thinking about our relationship..." Scott's thought bubble: ("Here it comes")

Third panel: Joan: "And I just think we're not growing and should probably move on..."

Scott's frantic thought bubble: (Don't let her get away! Say something! Say anything! C'mon Scott. Think, man, think!

Last Panel: Joan has left.
Scott: Alone at the table (after desperately thinking for a response): "Your loss, toots!!"

Anyway, even without the visual, I always thought it was a hoot.

Gardener

Cyrano deBergerac

Page 3 of 101 1 2 3 4 5 100 101

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard