Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 109 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 108 109
S
S
Originally Posted By: K4D
CG,

25 would be a great resource for you on law school. You should really pick her brain.

Kevin

Ditto!

Me: 46 FWS: 36
Married and Divorced 4/07, Pregnant 7/07,False R 7/07
Baby Girl born 3/08
Kicked him out because OW: 7/08
5/10 He realized what he had and lost.
Moved home! REMARRIED 3/14/11!!
S
S
Thank you, CG. I'm pretty proud of myself too. I remember the first day so vividly. My contracts prof said "look to the left and look to the right. At the end of the semester, one of you won't be here." My first thought...oh crap! My second...whew! I'm sitting at the end of the row. Only one person is looking at me. I can do this.

Law school isn't about smarts. Presumably, everyone there is smart. It's not about liking research, liking to argue, etc. It requires outstanding writing and critical thinking skills. Many MANY people get there, and are shocked when they realize they didn't develop basic essay writing skills.

Anyone can learn the Rule Against Perpetuities, but not everyone can apply it in a well written manner.

My advice to you...make sure your writing and thinking skills are stellar. I can tell you are very well written, so it should be easy.

I'm excited for you. Makes me want to go back to school. lol

C
C
Thanks! My business is largely focused on the creation of business and marketing plans. While I realize that is not the same as law per say I do feel many of the concepts will carry over in a general sense.

Often times I will have 1500 plus pages of stats, analytical research and other forms of information and it must be boiled down to a 30 page business plan. I am hoping the process of creating a business plan from start to finish will provide me with some foundation for my future studies.

I learned so much from my attny. Simply by watching his process I really learned to adjust my thinking to a more reasonable and productive track. His legal assistant was my angel. The amount of work that woman did on a daily basis was nothing short of amazing. One day I was talking to a friend and he said "she is just a legal assistant". HA! Spend a day with her and you will see she is the foundation that keeps that office running!

I also look forward to being able to look somebody in the eye and let them know I understand this process is frightening and foreign, I will help them and fight for them under any circumstance and at the end of the day things will be okay. I know how terrified I was when my case started. Without my attny and his staff (legal assistant and paralegal) I am not sure I would have made it.

S
S
You go girl! I can't wait to follow along on your journey.

Just a legal assistant?! Right. The LAs and PLs do ALL. THE. WORK. laugh

Sounds like a lot of people will benefit from what you went through.

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
What is making you decide to change career paths CG? Do you plan on also continuing your business on the side or leaving it all together at some point?

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
M: 08/02/97
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
2nd Bomb: 09/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
I have been thinking about a career change for a while now. At least a year. I am sort of looking at it as a career enhancement and not a total change.

In some capacity I will probably always keep my business running as I really do enjoy it and I have spent so many years building it. I am not sure I will ever be able to let go of my "baby". While I am in school I will have to keep my business running in order to generate income to pay daily expenses and tuition as I don't want to live off savings during that time.

I can take my business anywhere as long as I have access to a computer and phone. While I do have deadlines to meet for clients I have quite a bit of flexibility which is a huge bonus while in school.

I do plan to have children one day and my business will allow me to be home and still work and support myself and my family. So, no, I can't imagine leaving it behind.

This next phase is really something for me and me only. I might feel fulfilled after completing the paralegal coursework and dive right in. Hence the reason I decided working with smaller educational goals is best for me.

I love the idea of options and a paralegal has so many!

What I love the most is the idea of me being in charge of me. I am here to create my own destiny. At this juncture of my life I feel this is just "right".

K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I could do well in the medical field, but would not in the law field. I started out in biology and chemistry and did good at it. However, I switched to computer science and then met W and had a kid and life began. There is no way realistically right now for me to go back to something so grueling on time. But I did enjoy it.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ok. So I talk to 2 L's and a business owner who is a paralegal in the making. Life is certainly full of interesting people.

Kevin

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...
C
C
My sister is a scientist/lab rat and she LOVES it. Originally she was a nurse and did work in nursing for a few years. She enjoyed it but her true passion was science/lab work. She went back to school for a second degree that she completed last year. While she was in school she worked as a processor in a lab and now she works in the stat lab of a large county hospital and she LOVES it.

My sister and brother in law made tremendous sacrifices in order for my sister to go back to school. In the end it was so worth it. My sister loves her job even though it is grueling and tedious work it fuels her with passion. I call her the "Lab Queen". I guess I should say I view her work as grueling and tedious. To her it's a new adventure and problem to solve each day. I about barf when she tells me of the specimens and samples she has to analyze each day, lol! But to her it is pure joy.

Just reading about my sister's course schedule when she was in school made me want to cry (and puke, lol!). She is an absolute inspiration (and a totally smarty). If you like the medical/science field then go back to it. There is no law saying you have to take all the classes at once. Hell, take one class each semester.

You know, this is the FIRST time I have ever heard you post about something you truly enjoy that would be just for you. If I can do this (and keep in mind I am the original hot mess smile then you can!

Last edited by CityGirl; 01/05/10 07:44 PM.
K
K4D Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm not sure at this age what kind of career it could lead to. I don't even know what kind of field I would even want to go into let alone if the pay would be worth going back to school for. But I think I might do some research and check it out anyways. Never know unless I look.

Kevin

Last edited by K4D; 01/05/10 08:00 PM.

Me 36, W 37
D13, D9
1st Bomb 02/08
Reconciled 04/08
W filed for D 02/04/09
Separated 03/09
D dismissed 06/09/09
Still separated...