Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
"May your days be filled with small miracles".

That was in a card I got a long time ago. In truth - every day is filled with small miracles - we just have to be able to see and appreciate them.

I used to wear a t-shirt that said "I don't believe in Miracles. I rely on them". It was so true. I spent years not knowing what was going to happen with my son who had suffered brain damage. But life went on and I learned to recognize each one with him as a gift. And now, nearly 25 years after that horrific time - he is doing well.

Yesterday morning I heard lound shrieks coming from downstairs. Ash was down there on her computer in the room next to Ryan's. After last week and her ordeals with Stalker BF, I was worried and ran down. But it wasn't Ashley, and it wasn't crying. It was Ryan. He was sitting on his couch and laughing so hard it brought tears. I asked his worker what was up and she told me he had been in the absolute best mood for a couple of days. Better than she remembered in the past couple of years.

A few days ago I had been in his room, talking to her. We were discussing my plans to take Ryan to Disney World next month. He had listened intently and had really brightened when I came in the room. He is always like that when I am near him.

Ryan is a young man who had encephalitis at age 4. He lost most of his cognitive awareness. He cannot speak, does not appear to understand, has limited mobility and a severe seizure disorder. But he gets out of bed every day and attends a program with other friends, goes swimming and on fun outings. I make the best life I can for him.

But sometimes I throw all medical knowledge out the window. Because Ryan DOES seem to "get it" at times. Like yesterday. His worker (she has been with him about 6 years) told me he seems to know he is going to Disney again. This would not be the first time this happened. We had planned our first trip there at the time he became ill. Gathering things from his room to take to hospital when he was in a coma, I came across his travel bag, he had already placed inside his swimsuit and his stuffed Mickey. Heart wrenching! We did not go on that trip.

A couple of years later, on very frosty morning I was outside with him, waiting for his school bus and chatting to him as always. I would never get a reply but who knows? I said "Hey Ry, why don't we just skip school today, get on a plane and go to Disney World". And he looked me in the eye and nodded. I was shocked and asked him "Is that what you want? To go to see Mickey?" And he nodded again. It was definite, it was appropriate. Of course the drs say he has no idea what I'm talking about. I beg to differ. Needless to say, when I told my Mom what happened - she booked us right away on a trip (I could not afford it at the time) and she came with us. God bless my Mom!

I try to take him back every couple of years but it is difficult and expensive. Haven't gone for 4 years this time due to the constraints of moving, his elevator etc. But it is time.

So, I KNOW I am on the right track with him. He is excited despite the fact he should not even know what is going on. That is my miracle this week!

SO I went out yesterday and bought him some new summer pants, golf shirts and socks. It will be nice to pack some new things for his trip.

And I am more excited than ever about this trip to see the Mouse!!

We are surrounded by miracles. We have to learn to recognize them. What are yours today?

Barb

A
A
BD - That is so moving. I'm welled up at work.

What a great outlook to have on life. I'm am in awe of your poistive nature and what a wonderful human being you are.

I will take what you've said and use that in my everyday life.

God bless you and yours. I hope you have a wonderful time at Disney (yes I'm jealous, we'd planned to go on a family trip there for 2010) and a wonderful life.

A
A
Todays miracle for me ? Looking out the window and just seeing the sunshine. I love sunny October days when you can feel the warmth on your face.

F
F
Barb,

I don't think there is anything worse than a child who is hurt or sick. When you combine it with everything else you have endured, it is "the perfect storm". Peace, out.

OP Offline
FLTC: You are absolutely right. And I have had far more than my fair share of stuff. But I've also learned that we all have stuff. Some is big, some is not. But the important thing is how we deal with our stuff. I've made some mistakes but I think my heart was usually in the right place.

You have a lot of stuff right now. Just try to deal with one thing at a time. I know you're on the right track. If you ever want to talk - you know where I am.

Barb

K
K
((( Barb )))
That just made my day! Bless his heart!!
and you are a terrific mom, I often wonder how you do it, but I know you do because you have to , so you do.

After all the crapola we've been thur w/ Ex and D , FL is right, nothing worse then our children being sick or hurt, so if they are ok. ALL is ok in the world in my eyes!

Have a good weekend!

Be Happy for this Moment,
This Moment is your Life

OP Offline
Arthur:

THat's the spirit! The sun is shining brightly here today too and the colours are glorious! I can see yellows, rusts, burgundy, oranges and greens on the trees outside my window. I put out a new birdseed today and immediately got 2 Blue Jays! My kitties are in their glory. They each have a climber with a "nest" at the top. Right in fromt of the window facing the bird feeders!

Another miracle this week. Ex paid his share (1/3 - don't ask) of Ashley's tutition! YEAH! No fuss no muss no mess. Gave him the bill last week, got the money this week. That's how I like to do business.

And Chucky spent a whole 44 minutes with Ryan this month! Yep - his visitation as per his request is an hour every other week. He cancelled last time and showed up 16 min late this time. But it is HIS loss. As it all is. Because the kids and I are doing great. And I don't lose sleep over him anymore.

MIRACLE!

Barb

Hi Miracle Barb, I just had this vision of you dressed like Tinkerbell with your magic wand flying through the rooms, making everything clean and shiny. Windows gleaming, cushions plumped fire in the hearth and wonderful smells wafting from the kitchen.
Then you land and announce buy my miracle barb and your home will be full of love.
So I am happy to hear Chucky paid the bill with no fuss I think you finally got your message across.
Your right we all have stuff big and small and we learn to endure and adapt and thrive and when we do it makes the smallest blessings so wonderful because we know the price we paid to achieve it.
I think the older we get the more we appreciate all lifes joys. I find nothing worth having comes easy but the smallest pleasures are magnified and bring deeper and lasting contentment.
I'm whispering this next bit
We have had no rain for 4 days-shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone.
Glorious autumnal weather, and my tailess kitty is back climbing trees and hunting-yeh her presents I could really do without.
Now if my x could suddenly find the money he owes me I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.

R
R
Barb,

You are so right. Miracles and blessings abound if we really take time to see them.

Me, I feel blessed to be celebrating 11 years of marriage with my soul mate. Oops.... I meant 11 months. It seems like we have been together forever; that is a VERY good thing!

I love your attitude toward your children and life. I pray all of you find many more blessings in the future.

Take Care,

RMG

"The bad things in life open your eyes to the good things you weren't paying attention to before." from "Good Will Hunting"

Every day is a miracle and a source of wonder.

- My cat cracks me up every day. All it takes is a laser pointer or her hearing the doorbell. She runs down to the door to greet visitors just like a dog. When I come home at night, she's in the window looking down and waiting. I've been leaving the windows open and she'll call for me to come on it.

- Slow down and just be, just sit and be still. Let your mind rest and let your troubles go away. Let go and let God. It is truly amazing what happens when you can let your mind be at peace.

- We are having the MOST gorgeous autumn here. It's October and we'll be riding the motorcycle tomorrow. Can't wait!

- Let's not forget that the more joy we carry in our hearts, the more joy others will experience in their lives.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard