Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
P
FL,

Sounds like things are going great for you. I'm jealous. Having the kids a month straight sounds really good, although the housekeeping would probably take a turn for the worse during that time. Glad things are going well for you.

Me

You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with. Dr. Wayne Dyer
F
FiatLux Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey there, Wes.

It has been very nice. Surprisingly very quick. S8 and I were amazed today when we realized how much time has passed already.

He enjoyed the visits of his two aunts. It was special to have both sisters visit and love on my son. He seemed to appreciate it. They both repeated two main themes - how surprised they were that my household was being run so well (they must remember me as their screw up brother) and how good looking and smart S9 is already. I could tell that he was getting a little tired of their efforts to share their advice/wisdom with him.

From their visit, I took several things. First, I'm getting a bit stuck in my bachelorhood and need to cut Celeste more slack. Second, I'm doing great as a father, but need to invest more in myself as a person. Third, I need to put my work in perspective, not letting it suck the life out of me anymore.

To be fair, I've been in survival mode for awhile, given that I've recently been through the dreaded S/D routine. But I'm past that now, and it's high time for me to reevaluate my time/investments.

Both Sis's like Celeste. I also realized how important family is, and how important my time with S8 will be for his future Rs.

Speaking of time with S8, we spent Fri night at a minor league baseball game, then camping out on the baseball field with ~ 1200 other scouts and their parents. The kids watched Sandlot til 1am then I just remember crashing into sleepy oblivion in our tent. I remember fading away while asking myself why I had volunteered for this semi-refugee camp experience, including tent-dwelling, overflowed toilets, and wild kids running around pulling pranks despite the presence of dull-eyed adults. I'm sure we'll only remember the fun had by all. \:\)

We went and saw Speed Racer and Iron Man. 4 stars for the former, 3.5 for the latter. After both, S8 had the creativity bug, and I took him to my workshop to make a wooden "robot arm" at his request. He surprised me by making dinner tonight - PBJ's, goldfish crackers, and gatorade. S8: "You're not a mom, but I wanted to make this for you" It was an interesting, intense moment, full of both wonderful love and some pain. The former b/c I'm confident about the love b/t us, the latter b/c I wish he had more from his mom. I insisted we draft an e-card for his mom, who's still in Europe for a few more weeks. One call to him so far.

Matthew 7.6 says "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." I believe - as most parents do about their children - that my son is definitely a pearl who will profit this earth and humankind immensely. It pains me b/c it pains him to see him slighted by his mom.

He was able to feel the love of his aunts during the past 1.5 weeks, and he definitely showed his appreciation beyond that for his time with just me.

Perhaps this is true of most single parents. We have become both mother and father during our times with our children, so now both holidays apply in part?

I do not deserve such a wonderful son, but I accept him readily. He humbles me.

FL

God heals the broken-hearted (Psalm 147:3)

Me: 44
W: 40
Separated 8/2011

S12
SD14
SS12
SD10
J
J
Wow FL,

That was really touching. I'm glad things are going so great with your son. Take advantage of this time...before long, dad may not be as cool.

I went over and played softball with the kids yesterday. They never really got involved with baseball, so their skills aren't the best. It was parents versus kids. They had a bunch of them, but the parents handily beat them down. \:\)

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Theodore Roosevelt

F
FiatLux Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Quote:
efore long, dad may not be as cool.
i think I passed that milestone a few years ago...

The good news is that I'm now into the goofy "So what? I can still embarrass you" stage. \:D

That softball game sounds like a keeper, JM. Good times had by all that'll form great family memories.

Take care.

FL

Separated 8/2011

S12
SD14
SS12
SD10
T
T
Hey Me, FL!

Hope you guys are well!

Kev

F
FiatLux Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey Dawg!

How's it going out in Big Country?

On my part, things are pretty good. I've been making myself catch an extra hr of sleep per night (up to 7 hrs now) and have been way less weary. Duh!

I pulled into campus this morn, and when I noticed a crane flying right next to me, cruising along about 20 ft off the ground. And I thought - taking a deep breath and touching briefly on work, my Rs with S8 and Celeste and family - I have a good life in place.

Life is good.

FL

Separated 8/2011

S12
SD14
SS12
SD10
Hi Gabe!!!

Your life does sound like it's going great. I'm so happy for you!

So S7 becomes S8, and the 2 of you continue to get closer. Lucky little boy! I did feel for him though. I can't believe that his Mom wouldn't want to be with him on Mother's Day. Wonder how he dealt with that in his little head, and I've also wondered what she must think of herself to not make the effort. Could it be that she herself doesn't feel that she deserves it? It's all so sad.

Glad to hear that things are working out with you and Celeste. Hopefully you are working through all of the differences now. It's so strange to think that the things we stress over now could have been their the first time around but we were too young and inexperienced to even view them as potential problems. We just accepted everything. Sometimes I think that as a result of what we've been through we tend to overthink. Ah to be young and foolish.........

Take care & don't go changing...........(I can sing it for you if you like!)

Love,
Bethie

Gabe, this is for you!

CHINESE SICK LEAVE

Hung Chow calls into work and says, "Hey I no come work today, I really sick. Got headache, stomach ache and legs hurt, I no come work!"

The boss says, "You know something, Hung Chow, I really need you today. When I feel sick like you do, I go to my wife and tell her to give me sex. That makes everything better and I go to work...You try that.

Two hours later Hung Chow calls again. "I do what you say and I feel great. I be at work soon.....You got nice house!

F
fig Offline
F
warn a girl bethie!!!

jeepers

now I have coffee to clean up

and my nose to blow

yikes!!!!

OOPS!!! This will teach you. Always carry a stain stick in your purse!

I can't be responsible for everything you read and react to...SHEESH!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard