Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1426567 04/25/08 04:54 PM
C
cat03 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I thought I'd post this paraphrasing from a book I'm reading 'eat,love&pray". As we all are in the middle of a S, and/or As, Ds, and of course, dealing with a MLCer, we seem to have so little control of what's going on and what is happening to us.

And if she hasn't been thanked enough, thanks Michele for this safe harbor you've created.

Hope this helps you all:

I am assuming custodial responsibility for the maintenance of my own soul.

I can choose how I regard unfortunate events in my life, where I see them as curses or opportunities.

When I'm feeling too da*m sorry for my self I can choose to change my outlook, my words, the tone of my voice and how I talk to others.

You need to learn how to select your thoughts just like you select what clothes are you going to wear everyday, this is a power you can cultivate.

If you want to control things in your life so bad work on the mind, that's the only thing you should be trying to control anyway. Drop everything else, because if you can't master your thinking you are in deep trouble forever.
This is not about repression or denial, admit to the existence of negative thoughts and understand where they are coming from and with great forgiveness, dismiss them. It is a sacrifice to let them go, it's a loss of old habits, it takes practice and effort, it's constant vigilance, something you need to do this for yourself.

I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore. Harbor is a noun, it is a port of entry, place of refuge. Your mind is a harbor. It's an open bay with access to an island, yourself. You may not come here anymore with your slave ships of unhealthy thoughts, they will all be turned away, all malcontents, you may not come here, angry and starving exiles, cannibalistic thoughts will not be received. This is a peaceful harbor, the entry way to a fine and proud island which is now starting to cultivate tranquility. If you can abide by this new laws, my dear thoughts, then you are welcome in my mind. Otherwise, I shall turn you all toward the sea from hence you came, that is my mission and it will never end.

Longing and control, that's what your mind is fighting about.

Prayer is a relationship. Half the benefit of prayer is in the asking itself.

Be not afraid...I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten Joel2

30something
2kids
survivor of S, MLC, A, D
I have peace in my heart, at last.
J
J
Good post cat.

BTW, I always had a problem praying for myself, I always thought it was 'selfish'...like there were others who needed it more. : ) That changed while in here.

Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn. - C.S. Lewis

Life is usually all about how you handle Plan B. - Jack3Beans

Listen without defending; Speak without offending - FaithinAK

TRUST THE PROCESS - Cadet

L
L
Quote:
I am assuming custodial responsibility for the maintenance of my own soul.

I wish I could come up with clever things like that.

\:\)

That is such a wonderful statement.

I love that book Cat. Italy was my favorite part.

She is a wise young lady that author. She dug deep in there.

You are doing the same sweetie.

Thanks for this.

Live Simply
Love Generously
Care Deeply
Speak Kindly
Leave the rest to God
C
cat03 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I loved Italy too! made me hungry just listening to the book on cd, lol.

It is so nice to hear such a candid story from someone who lived through what lots of us here are/went through. Hugs))))))))))

30something
2kids
survivor of S, MLC, A, D
H
H
I wish I could come up with clever things like that.

You do. You said, and I quote, that my H skims off the top to survive. That was clever...and accurate. \:\)

I have picked up that book to buy it so many times, and then put it down.
I think I need to pick it up again, and this time, bring it home.
Thanks for sharing that, Cat.

Most of us really marry only once. First love endures, even unto our dying day. And we never really divorce.
C
cat03 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
you are welcome :), I have learn more about detachment than from my survival D book, lol.

30something
2kids
survivor of S, MLC, A, D

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard