Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
G
Money buys some serious GAL!

T
T
Originally Posted by Ginger
Money buys some serious GAL!
Flying or driving far especially solo can be pricy, but if you or anyone else reading are looking for budget-friendly ways to enjoy nearby outdoor pursuits for GAL like kayaking, climbing, camping, backpacking, hiking etc. please let Scott or I know for ideas!

The Great Outdoors is not only for the wealthy. Tents let me stay for $15-$30/night (including a hot shower) at places where others are paying $150-$300/night. I'm also not above sleeping in a car for a few hours for free to make a trip happen that otherwise wouldn't!

T
T
Originally Posted by Steve
Love this update. You are knocking it out of the park, Scott!
Yes! Scott's GAL update is reminding me the only thing keeping me from upgrading my cardio with a jog or hike with my son just now, is this chair my behind is currently planted in. Off to do my own GAL!

S
ScottB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The tent hammock I bought was $260 but now all I need are two trees to stay the night outdoors. And my kayak was $400 used.

When I kayak I put my bike where I plan to get out and then drive to the top and kayak down to my bike; then I ride back to my car and then go back to get the kayak. All and all it makes for a fun couple of hours.

Climbing can be cheap too once you know what you are doing, you just need a friend to belay you.

But the snowboarding is expensive, no way really around that. And yes Money does buy GAL. But the fact I used to have to travel with 4 and now I travel with 1 is kind of a game changer, for better or worse.

S
S
Nothing wrong with having money! Especially when you remember to use a portion of î to help others. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, being financially secure means I can help others. Plus the tax write off for charitable giving is nice!

M(53), W(54),D(19)
M-23, T-25 Bomb Drop - Dec.23, 2017
Ring and Piecing since March 2018
G
G
No one know said there was anything wrong with having money. It just makes life easier and provides for the best GAL . As long as what you do to make that money also provides you with the adequate time to do so, which Scott is very fortunate to have .

I work with a doctor who never takes a day off. Lots of money, no time to enjoy it.

S
ScottB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
A great book that I really enjoyed on this topic is Die With Zero. Might be worth checking out.

1 member likes this: Traveler
B
B
ScottB - Crushing it in the GAL department, as always. Love hearing about your adventures...keep it up!

Originally Posted by ScottB
I still do miss being a family. And I do miss having a partner, but suddenly I am living an adventure. And I have freedom to explore the world as well as my own soul. Time to read and write and think and pray.
^This comment really resonated. I'm on vacation with my kids and see almost everyone else partnered up in a family unit and miss that. But like you said you're making the most of the situation you were dealt and making it an adventure despite it.

Me:39 Ex-W:37
M:7 T: 9
S:6 D:3
BD/IHS/Confirm EA/PA: Feb '20
OM1 affair ends: May '20
W/OM2 & moves out: June-July '20
W files for D: Jul20
OM2 confirmed: 9/2020
Divorced: May '21
S
ScottB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I haven't been up to much recently. I did get up at 5:20a today to go fishing before work, but it was more like casting practice. haha.

I'm excited this weekend as I'm getting a lesson on how to belay and I'm taking my son. I'm hoping to buy a rope and get into sport climbing very soon. If I can belay and so can he, that really opens up some outdoor climbing for the two of us. Stay tuned.

T
T
Enjoy, Scott! For those not into rock climbing, the belayer holds the rope so the climber doesn't fall. Body weight and tools mean his son doesn't actually have to lift Scott!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard