Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
D
D
FWIW I replaced my old oil furnace and A/C with a new Daikin furnace and A/C. They had to install new lines for gas plus exhaust (gas was not available on my street when the 1990s furnace and AC were installed. They removed the old equipment and oil tank and even gave me two years of tuneups etc. I can tell you I’ve had zero problems either either of them. Very high quality units that work great. This was 6 years ago to the month and was $8,500 total. Of course that’s Midwest vs California and we were not seeing the levels of inflation nor worker shortage but $13K does seem significantly higher for a six year difference. Daiken was just making inroads to the USA and offered a rebate as well so that helped. You won’t go wrong with their quality though. I’d think $10K might be closer to what I’d have to pay today - though just a guess.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
D
DnJ Online
D
Hello kml

With the current world’s supply chain issues, the associated costs of construction and materials has skyrocketed.

In the last two years the cost of furnace and air conditioner installations and equipment has almost tripled. At work, I have a substation control building with a still not functional heater/air conditioner. There simply is no unit available. None. Zero stock.

Dishwashers are a ten month back order. Lumber, when you can get it, is three times more than last year. High end mountain bikes (an enthusiast at work, not me) are being ordered and fully pre-paid for an expected summer 2024 delivery. Wow, dropping $5000+ for something you might have in 32 months. Snowmobiles, motorcycles, hot tubs, etc. All are experiencing shortages and the price follows the supply/demand ideology.

You luckily have contractors with equipment. The price is elevated, yet you can get it fixed.

Sounds pretty good from here. smile

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
That sounds stressful with the hawk - that would wear me out.

I did have a very productive day today too - my regular early Sunday AM hike and lattes with Survival Goddess, then too two short file cabinets and a couple boxes of books and Xmas stuff to Goodwill, then grocery shopping at our local health food store. Then a little more work on the garage, two large items that my oldest son will take up to middle son next weekend since he happens to be going up there. ( One is a microwave I’ve been storing for him - by sheer chance, the microwave his old roommate left behind has just broken the latch, so perfect time for him to take his old one back. Then I made a (futile) run to the pharmacy for CMMs new medication (it’ll be in tomorrow) and made chicken Pad Thai for dinner (yes, I cooked! I remember how! And even made the sauce from scratch since the grocery stores were out of the gluten free brand).

The garage is looking better, although there’s still a lot that needs weeding. This is enough though to be totally out of the way of the workmen. And to look like a reasonably well-organized garage, if a little overstuffed. (Btw, this crowded garage thing is a pretty new phenomenon for me - in my marital home the garage was never crowded, everything fit in the shelving unit on one side and workbench and tool caddy on the other. Hoping to get back to that, instead of the extra line full of boxes etc. that forms an aisle with the shelves. )

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yeah D - I asked about supply chain issues. The second company - more expensive but bigger - has two trucks coming in tomorrow. And apparently, the larger unit needed for my home is less common and therefore, oddly, easier to get. Third estimate tomorrow and then I’m gonna make my mind up quick to lock in the equipment. I feel sorry for anyone whose furnace breaks in the middle of winter. At least we have mild weather forecast for the next couple weeks, and probably well beyond that. And I’m well aware that costs are up because of the supply chain issues - I helped my son buy a new car a couple months ago. The lack of stock was shocking. We are living through exceptionally interesting times.

T
T
Originally Posted by Butterfly
i spent yesterday afternoon guarding an immature redtail hawk who wasn't able to fly. called the environmental police, but had to wait for him to get to us. Helped distract her while he got her cornered so he could capture her. Thankfully, I know of a raptor rehabber, so had already set up a place for her to be taken to if we were lucky enough to grab her. Her left shoulder is drooping and may have a broken bone, unfortunately if it's the one the rehabber thinks it is, she may not be able to fly again. Time well spent even though it was about 3 hours.
I love your desire to preserve life of all sorts. It's amazing they took your help capturing it, and you "happened to know" a raptor rehabilitator the environmental police would take her to.

PS - No rats harmed yet in my garage.

B
B
Originally Posted by kml
That sounds stressful with the hawk - that would wear me out.

yes, it was tiring but also exhilirsitng because I knew she was in good hands, would get a decent meal and be able to rest. she went for her X-ray yesterday ... rehabber will keep me posted on her progress.

Originally Posted by kml
I did have a very productive day today too - my regular early Sunday AM hike and lattes with Survival Goddess, then too two short file cabinets and a couple boxes of books and Xmas stuff to Goodwill, then grocery shopping at our local health food store. Then a little more work on the garage, two large items that my oldest son will take up to middle son next weekend since he happens to be going up there. ( One is a microwave I’ve been storing for him - by sheer chance, the microwave his old roommate left behind has just broken the latch, so perfect time for him to take his old one back. Then I made a (futile) run to the pharmacy for CMMs new medication (it’ll be in tomorrow) and made chicken Pad Thai for dinner (yes, I cooked! I remember how! And even made the sauce from scratch since the grocery stores were out of the gluten free brand).

The garage is looking better, although there’s still a lot that needs weeding. This is enough though to be totally out of the way of the workmen. And to look like a reasonably well-organized garage, if a little overstuffed. (Btw, this crowded garage thing is a pretty new phenomenon for me - in my marital home the garage was never crowded, everything fit in the shelving unit on one side and workbench and tool caddy on the other. Hoping to get back to that, instead of the extra line full of boxes etc. that forms an aisle with the shelves. )

you're productivity just wore me out!!
I got a coat of primer on the walls over at Mom's. It was Dad's bday, so I didn't really feel up to doing much. Ran errands. Son has a head cold so spent time nursing him. I did have a couple friends volunteer to help me with the clean out when I get to it.

love pad Thai!

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It's emotional, clearing out your parent's stuff. One of the small file cabinets was from my mother's closet, nothing too important in it, but there was a gold-plated heart-shaped paperweight in the drawer and now I wonder, what was the history of that object? Did one of my siblings or one of her grandchildren give it to her? Was it a love token from my father, or the man she had a long love affair with as a widow in middle age? Or just a gift from a student from her teaching days?

B
B
yeah ... completely loaded. one friend, we are beyond sisters... i feel completely safe having her help. another friend. .. i love her dearly but no, she does not have the temperment to hold space the way i need it to be held in this instance. maybe after the more emotional stuff is finished she could come by. any sooner would just upset me more. this i already know.

did you keep the paperweight?

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes - I'll ask my sister if she knows anything about its provenance.

1 member likes this: bttrfly
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Got my third estimate yesterday - was higher than the other two and they didn't really have a solution for the gate, seems like, from what CMM told me, their solution was to use the more expensive slimline compressor and leave the old one there??

So I'm going to go with the company that has the hoist and can just lift the compressors over the fence. It was the middle estimate, the name-brand Daikin (although all three offered units made by the same company, Goodman and Amana), and the installers are a large and well-reviewed company in our area.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard