Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2916271 03/10/21 05:09 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Previous Thread:

Big Hair. Don't Care

A few things. My brother passed away last week. He had been really sick for the last couple of weeks. He was 9 yrs older than me and was a severe diabetic. He had suffered greatly the last few years with multiple hospital stays, leg amputation, and chronic ailments. We weren’t super close, but he was primarily who I was closest to in my family. He was hilarious and a great guy. My mom is my only immediate living family member and we have a bit of a strained relationship. However, I’m not sure exactly what I feel but I do know I feel overwhelmed with some things to do with care for my mom. I won’t go into specifics but something happened that kind of rattled my faith in some family. Sigh. I do hope my brother is at peace. He deserved that.

CanBird, I was on Hinge for 2 weeks year before last. I went out with a few people and all were cool. I find all apps to be the same if I’m being honest. It’s not the platform that’s the issue- it’s some of the people on the platform that some would consider the issue.

All of this happening made me realize I would like a partner. I just don’t know if I’ll find one. If it’s not too much to ask, please send positive vibes my way as I need to navigate some familial issues. I’m a bit nervous and anxious about some of them. I can no longer do crazy and I witnessed that today.

Thanks all. Hope everyone is safe and well.

Last edited by job; 03/10/21 01:10 PM. Reason: added link to previous thread

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
Georgiabelle #2916279 03/10/21 02:31 PM
D
D
(((GB)))

I'm so sorry about your brother and the family struggles you are dealing with. Sending lots of positive vibes and happy thoughts as you traverse this situation.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
Georgiabelle #2916287 03/10/21 04:04 PM
K
kml Offline
K
GB I’m so very sorry ((((Hug)))).

Georgiabelle #2916523 03/15/21 12:07 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thank you all for your kind words. It’s been a crazy couple of weeks. My mother has some early dementia and we brought her to our house. We are not close, however, I feel terrible for her. I just want her to be safe and okay. This has worn on my soul this week, however, I have to make sure she’s okay. I’ll skip the specifics but we’ve had to lock all the doors and create additional security measures in conjunction with our security system to stay aware of her movements. Fortunately my house isn’t that big. Unfortunately, my house isn’t that big. :-). I have faith all will work as should be. I need the universe to help.

As i mentioned, I joined Bumble. It was literally the day I had to rush to my mom’s 4 hours away. I have a date tomorrow with a UPS driver. He’s my age and cute. I’m just wanting to laugh and have fun. I’ve also been talking to another guy who is a film producer and DJ. As stated many times, I never care what someone does for a living or how much they make but I always want them to enjoy (semi at least) what they do and their lives. That’s what counts. And of course whether we like each other.

Stay tuned. Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday.

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
Georgiabelle #2916546 03/15/21 08:16 PM
T
T
Georgiabelle, so sorry for your loss. smirk It's commendable taking on such a huge responsibility as caring for a mother with early dementia. I hope the living arrangement works out.

Originally Posted by Georgiabelle
I never care what someone does for a living or how much they make but I always want them to enjoy (semi at least) what they do and their lives. That’s what counts. And of course whether we like each other.

Sounds like a healthy attitude! I'm not dating yet, but I just finished a book on the subject that frequently references Gottman. I now plan to try to give a bit less weight to chemistry and bit more weight to deeper values and how I feel around them, which may take a second or third date to figure out. Good luck out there!

Georgiabelle #2916560 03/15/21 11:36 PM
K
kml Offline
K
Re: your mom - just know that dementia can be worsened by infection (an asymptomatic bladder infection often caused my mom's cognition to slip) or medications (many elderly are on multiple medications, many of which can cause cognitive problems. My mom had this with gabapentin).

She may also appear worse now that she's in your home - people with dementia can mask a lot of it when they are in their familiar surroundings, but move them out and the gaps begin to appear.

Georgiabelle #2916995 03/24/21 12:36 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks everyone. What a week it has been!!! Found an assisted living place for my mom. It’s really nice but I dread moving her 4 hours. I have to hire peeps to help. She will be an hour from me and her brother and sister. This experience has helped me see my mom in a bit of a different light. I just want her to be safe and okay.

So, I would join Bumble the day before a life change but, well, I’m an overachiever. I’ve already hidden my profile. I went out with a guy a couple of times. Omg. He was adorable. UPS driver. He was a year younger than me with 4 kids and 2 grand children. One of his son’s has Down syndrome. We went out a couple of times and I thought we were clicking but I don’t think he wants a relationship or maybe he doesn’t want me. I really liked him. I got very specific this time with age and distance (I don’t care about money, what someone does for a living or height. I just want them to be happy with their life). I can’t keep up on these apps. I know many people have a difficult time, but mine is that I’m not (and I admit this) willing to spend lots of time messaging on the apps. I know. I know. I just find that I get asked out a lot and everyone wants to have the sexy right away. I get it. Some people feel “why wait?” but I don’t want to go out on 30 dates with 30 different peeps and get naked with them all. I know. I’m old an old school curmudgeon. Ugh.

I think my online dating career is coming to a close permanently:-)

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
D final 9-9-14
Georgiabelle #2917013 03/24/21 02:29 PM
D
D
So sorry for your loss GB...and for your mom’s dementia. I know first hand how difficult it is to care for a parent whose faculties are failing them. Very stressful and worrisome. I am glad you found somewhere will she be cared for and safe.

Re: dating. I don’t think you are old school, I think you are discerning. I’m with you on the not wanting to get naked with that many people. Honestly...if that is someone’s expectation right off the mark, they aren’t worth your time. I don’t think everyone is like that though so I don’t know that I would completely give up on it. I’d just keep an eye out for someone really interesting and try to get to a meet up fairly quickly to minimize the back and forth messaging which can be quite time consuming and deceptive. There is nothing like a face-to-face meeting.

Hope this week is more relaxing for you. (((HUGS)))

Georgiabelle #2917032 03/24/21 06:32 PM
L
L
I just want them to be happy with their life). I can’t keep up on these apps. I know many people have a difficult time, but mine is that I’m not (and I admit this) willing to spend lots of time messaging on the apps.
Nothing wrong with being direct and to the point with men if you are not into messaging.
I know. I know. I just find that I get asked out a lot and everyone wants to have the sexy right away.

I'm not ready yet we are getting to know each other. You should know by date three if it's sexy time.
I get it. Some people feel “why wait?” but I don’t want to go out on 30 dates with 30 different peeps and get naked with them all. I know. I’m old an old school curmudgeon. Ugh.

Sounds like you need to be more selective and lower the dating pool.
I think my online dating career is coming to a close permanently:-)

I guess I don't understand. You are getting lots of dates. That is what dating is about. Finding the right match.

Georgiabelle #2917034 03/24/21 06:38 PM
C
C
Hi Georgiabelle. Sorry for the loss of your brother.

The arrangements you've made for your mom sound great, being that she's not far from family. You did good.

Thanks for sharing your dating adventures! I'm only on 2 sites, and I agree that you certainly do see a lot of the same faces. Even more interesting when you see the same person on both sites and their profile is slightly different.
(ie height & age... sometimes location). I think I may have signed on to a single parent site...lol.. sticking the old school sites. I'm not ready for new school..lol..

You're still young! And like a friend said to me, there are singles out there that are not online..

That's great that you get asked out a lot. Maybe reword your profile, "No Hook-ups". If that was your intent, you'd be on one of those sites, right... you know the one..( Tinder I think? ) so not for me...

Wish I could post a picture of the lumber jack I came across. It was hysterical! Love when guys are goofy. Picture a ginger Santa with chainsaw to a tree, dressed like a lumber jack on the top half, and just in his briefs. OMG...LOL... was my reaction. They I had to share with my gfs.

Good luck out there girl! Hey, it's all fun either way.

~Never Give Up ~
Mar BD
June BD
Dec Aow/xgf
Jan he wants D
Feb he flys2 ow
Mar returns stuck here C19 Lckdwn
Apr he leaves for work until Nov
Oct D FINAL 2020
Living MY Happiest Life Ever
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis