Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
D
D
This is so sad from my point of view. All of this angst and drama over a virus you will only know you even have due to a test. You feel “off” but not really sick. You feel worse due to the anxiety surrounding it all. You’re upset, your D is upset. Over a virus not even making you actually sick. You’re worried you’ll get blamed if someone else gets sick. You don’t want to spread it. Which is neighborly but if you had the flu would you be this worried? THIS is how this covid crazy has taken on a life of its own. If you do test positive you may feel guilty. I have a few friends that do. They are afraid to tell anyone. Think about that. Some get crazy scared as if it’s a cancer diagnosis even though overall survival remains extremely high. Thank you fear mongering, thank you politicians, thank you media, thank you crazy people. Imagine being more worried about the fallout and drama of the illness rather than the illness itself. That’s where far too many are. It’s how addiction patients feel. It’s how mental illness patients feel. It’s how STD patients feel. Vilifying disease. Getting sick is a part of life. That will never change, no matter how hard we try to change it. It may well be two kinds of people, those who have been exposed to covid and those who will be exposed to hit. No amount of hiding will keep you safe. It’s just life. Hopefully if you do test positive you’ll have a minor case and be virus free in time for surgery. Just please don’t blame yourself for having something you have no control over happening to you.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
K
kml Offline
K
3 kinds of people Don - those who have had, those who will get it, and those who manage to stay safe long enough to get the vaccine.

Already those who avoided it the first peak but are getting it now have much better treatment options. Also slowing the spread keeps hospitals within their capacity.

kml #2909085 11/22/20 07:19 PM
job Offline
Hopefully it's just the good old flu and not the Covid. You'll know tomorrow and I know the anxiety is getting to you, but you need to try to get as much rest as you can and stay as calm as possible. If you have it, you've already started self isolating and will do what is necessary to get better. If you don't, you can then breathe a sign of relief and figure it might be the flu. I am praying that it's just the flu.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
K
kml Offline
K
It’s not the flu. It may not be Covid but these are not flu symptoms. EVERYBODY needs to know what influenza symptoms are. Sudden onset (people feel fine in the morning, have fever and body aches by night). Fever, usually high, with bad body aches for 3-5 days (I used to work in a busy urgent care center and see 30 cases a day. No rapid flu tests back then but when someone told me their hair hurt or they felt like a truck ran over them in flu season I knew it was flu). After 3-5 days the fever and body aches subside, but there’s often a nonproductive cough that lingers for a week or two.

Covid can have a sudden onset but usually is a little more gradual. May have fever but may not, or just a low grade fever. Loss of sense of smell or taste (or distorted sense of smell) does not happen in every case but makes it highly likely to be Covid if present. Marked shortness of breath often appears around day 7. Cough can become quite productive in some people. Diarrhea or other GI complaints may be present, or may not. The range of strange symptoms and range of severity is quite broad. I test my sense of smell every day because loss of smell can precede symptoms and some people don’t notice they’ve lost it.

G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I’m negative. I should be happy, but it’s still just ruined everything. I kind of hope I had it to get it out of the way, since I’m cut off from everyone anyways.

I definitely don’t have the flu. If anything, I have allergies. Which I don’t get , which I happened to have gotten at the same time I was close contact exposure with someone who was positive. Just the way things seem to go.

And Don, you and I disagree on this subject very much. Our hospital is filling up, people my age, are still struggling the breathe, and the long term complications for the ones who survive are still unknown.hospitals are losing up again. We are filling up And we are seeing many who are having long term complications. My coworker lost 30lbs ( and she didn’t have 30 lbs to lose) and keeps dropping. No other medical reason why. Many cognitive issues are also being associated. It is not a normal virus, and really, it’s something to be scared of. I’m seeing it with my own 2 eyes. I can’t deny the evidence in front of me every day at work. Literally, I’m seeing the havoc it wreaks with my very eyes. Lucky, the recovery is better with remdesivir ( if your renal function is good enough for it) but people are still getting hit very very hard . I still don’t understand the how people could deny the severity short and long term of this virus when it’s evident

D
D
Let me be very clear - crystal

- I do not deny covid is real
- I do not deny that 200K have died
- I do not deny that many hospitals are seeing more people now than at any time since this started

In addition
- far fewer people are dying than when this started - likely due to better treatment
- those 70+ are greatest at risk and represent the great majority of deaths.
- those under 25 rarely have serious complications.
- the average person under 50 does very well. You can throw any anecdotal outliers you’d like but they remain outliers.

What I do deny or argue against

- masks, social distancing, lockdowns are doing little if anything to stop the spread
- we can’t change nature. Much of getting covid is the luck of the draw.
- beyond a vaccine, we are not going to stop this. It has been near 10 months. Its going to circulate regardless of what we try to do short of a vaccine. It’s denying reality to state otherwise.

People eat like crap, never exercise and smoke like a chimney yet never get heart disease or cancer while others eat like rabbits, exercise daily, are right at target weight and yet still die young. There are no guarantees in life. Yet we don't blame or ridicule them like we may a child who is blamed for bringing covid home.

At some point, and I think 10 months is more than enough, we have to admit we have very limited control over covid. Likely little or no more than we have over cancer, diabetes, asthma, flu, high blood pressure, A-fib, trauma, mental illness, addiction, or dozens of other illness and causes of death we’ve been trying to combat for generations. Yet we somehow want to treat this different and kid ourselves into believing if only we all wore masks, or stopped contact with others or basically stopped living - for a year or more!!! we’d stop covid. We have very little control over this very real disease - just like all of the others. That’s what I’m saying and with every passing day we confirm this a little bit more. I’m convinced years from now we will look back and ridicule how we thought we could eradicate a virus with a piece of cloth. Stopping 25,000 person events is one thing. Stopping 15 people from celebrating thanksgiving is another.

It’s beyond sad that people have to be afraid of admitting they have covid for fear of being blamed. It is even more sad that some are more afraid of a covid diagnosis than a cancer diagnosis and go through unnecessary trauma worrying. Look at how maybe possibly being positive is effecting your life and that of your daughter - and you don’t even have it. This is what we’ve allowed to happen or even helped cause to happen in the craziest year of my life - 2020. But then again sone think if we just banned guns no one would get shot, or just banned straws whales 1,000 miles away from said straws would not die, or we can control the temperature of the planet, wild fires and hurricanes - so perhaps none of the latest craziness should surprise me.

DonH
Midwest
Me 56
WAW-EXW 55
Met 11/95 / Married 5/00
Bomb 6/20/05 / She Filed on 6/2/06 / Divorced on 10/9/06
4 who'd qualify as GF since D & dated about 25 women since D
S
S
I live in Australia. Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, was in a policed lockdown for 112 days following a second wave of COVID cases over winter. The city had over 700 new cases per day in July. It was the epicentre of Australia's second wave, accounting for more than 90% of its 905 deaths.

The DHHS modelled the outcome of various bipartisan policies in order to determine the best course of action. The possibility of achieving the lockdown model targets was savagely challenged. The targets were described as "a guess", "unachievable" and "impossible". The team was described as "inexperienced", "cherry-picked" and "opinionated non-experts".

The state enforced home confinement, travel restrictions, mandatory masks, curfew, and the closure of stores and restaurants. People were allowed out for an hour a day for exercise only within 5km of their homes. But lo and behold, the fall in case numbers matched the modelled numbers. By the 1st of November, they had their first day of zero new cases.

The state premier copped a LOT of heat from naysayers. But the fact is that it looks like Victoria has defeated the second wave. Victorians are now looking forward to a COVID-safe Christmas. As of today, there is only a single active COVID case in the state. There have been no new cases for 23 days running.

Pretty powerful testimony, right?

chumplady.com
K
kml Offline
K
Yes! In fact, almost EVERY other first world country has done better than the US with this virus.

We are only months away from access to a vaccine people, hold the course.

G - I’m happy your test was negative. But don’t hesitate to get a second test if your symptoms continue/worsen. You’ll be able to get a vaccine soon I hope given your work setting. I won’t try to get mine early because my work setting is pretty low risk - low volume, not seeing sick patients, prescreened (we won’t see them until two weeks after air travel), mostly telemedicine now again as it ramps up. I’d rather my vaccine was available for hospital and nursing home workers.

kml #2909140 11/23/20 04:21 PM
job Offline
Ginger,

I am so glad to come here this morning and read that you are negative. I do agree w/kml about getting a second test if the symptoms continue/worsen. The tests are good, but I have read where some tests can actually give false readings.

I'm sorry that whatever you have has ruined your holiday plans. Please, please take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.

Sending you positive vibes and many much needed hugs today.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It’s a debate I’m so sick of getting into, but our country has not done a very good job in containing it in the first place, and unfortunately the economical downfall going forward will be worse . And I’m sorry, but if wearing a mask on the off chance you can save someone else is not something you are willing to do? That’s just sad.

After my hold time of over an hour for the employee exposure hotline, I got some good info. I am currently out on workers comp. the downfall? I lose my thanksgiving holiday and the two hours of holiday pay I would have had on thanksgiving. My test from Friday they don’t consider accurate because it was too early, so I went today. I cannot go back to work until Monday, as long as I’m symptom free, whether or not I’m positive or negative . Apparently many employees are getting sick and due to other people coming to work thinking they just had allergies when they actually had COVID. I actually felt guilty for reporting my vague symptoms and being put out of work for so long, but the guilt associated with not reporting and infecting someone is far greater.

My dad has still not come to a decision on whether or not we can attend thanksgiving . My ex made a phone call to invite me to thanksgiving if we can’t go to dads . I thanked him for the offer and I haven’t turned him done yet. But that is my boundary. I cannot spend thanksgiving with them, and it’s his wife’s birthday, therefore it would be celebrating her birthday as well. His sister who likes to say things about my daughter to imply poor parenting will be there too. I would just rather spend the holiday all by myself with a box of stovetop stuffing and a bottle of wine. I have to keep this boundary because keeping it allows me to be able to be as friendly and forgiving as I am now. I will become resentful and upset if I spend the holiday with them, I know it.

So this is where I stand right now. Certainly not where I want to be at all, but it’s where I am.

Thanks for the positive vibes. I really need them

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard