Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
(It's titled Hospital Know What's Coming"

A
A
Hope your son is going to miss out on whatever hit his room-mate.

You and CMM are doing ok? I'm sure you are being extra careful because I presume that he's immuno-compromised on top of everything else.

Sadly I feel that this is going to get a "lot" worse down there before it gets better. I've seen news articles showing packed airports. Our own resurgence with new records being hit after our own Thanksgiving last month still has cases climbing and our rural areas are now starting to get hit like your's.

Urban areas are going into a fuller lock down and even up here we are now taking a step back to more isolation.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes the next couple of months are going to be very bad. We have moved most of our patients back to telemedicine visits. Still being extremely careful. No getting together with anyone for Thanksgiving except our own household. (I will still cook a huge bird though because we all love leftovers). I have a giant pot that I use to make turkey rice soup with the carcass every year - the only time it's used but it's worth every penny just for that soup. Pumpkin curry soup, pumpkin pie, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy - still doing it all. CMM won't have to cook for a week!

CMM is vulnerable because he's back on chemo now, but he doesn't leave the house except for doctor's appointments. I couldn't have middle son come here because it would be too dangerous if he was incubating Covid. Praying both stay well. CMM fortunately is blood type O so that might give him a little help if he does catch it. He should be high on the list for vaccination when it's available since he's black, has hypertension and lung cancer.

B
B
it's shocking to me how many people are getting together for thanksgiving, not caring. i'm truly stunned. i sent a group IM to my extended family with a poll asking what times are best for a possible zoom call on Thanksgiving so we can at least be together in some fashion - one cousin can't make it because they are eating at the country club, then going to their daughter's boyfriend's parents' house for drinks and dessert. I'm like, "whaaaa?" stunned. can't believe it.

not the time to be doing this. missing one holiday isn't going to harm anyone. we have zoom. we have a lot to be thankful for. i expect the next two months to be miserable because of the lack of true care and concern for this.

i'm keeping your son and cmm (and you!) in my prayers xoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
job Offline
Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that your son's roommate doesn't have COVID.

Andrew, I too, saw the TV footage of the airports. I do not know what people are thinking, but traveling, especially in close quarters or a plane and being in airports is terrible this time of year and more so now. Even my area has had a huge spike in cases...why? because some people in one local area have had large weddings in the last few weeks and some people had Halloween parties. My nephew is currently a contact tracer and alert us that we were not to go to the local Walmart because there was a large number of people there who had been in contact with someone that had COVID or have now tested positive. Walmart finally closed it's doors to do a thorough cleaning this week.

Unfortunately, this virus is going to be around for quite some time. I saw on TV that somewhere overseas was looking for a third round of this virus.

Praying for all to stay health and even though you cannot be with all of your loved ones this year, please be thankful that they are still here with us each and every day.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Spoke with a patient of mine yesterday who has worked in pandemic planning - she estimates July as the date that those of us who aren’t super high risk will be able to get vaccinated. I’ve been telling patients who ask sometime between March and June but that’s an optimistic estimate. My concern is that people will assume that since a vaccine is on the horizon, they don’t have to continue their safety precautions now. That could make a difference of 100,000 deaths or more. Too many people will be trading a Family Thanksgiving for an ICU Christmas.

Cook your own bird and Zoom with your relatives.

BTW if it’s your first time cooking a turkey, here’s my method:

Cook the bird unstuffed. Instead put onions and oranges, cut in half, loosely in both cavities. (You can add cloves off garlic and sage if desired). Butter the skin (and I slide some butter with sage under the breast skin).

Cooking time is usually a bit faster than times listed for unstuffed birds because the onions and oranges steam the bird from the inside so use your meat thermometer. Usually takes me about 3- 4 hours to cook a large bird.

Cook your dressing in a separate casserole dish.

A
A
Originally Posted by kml
Cook the bird unstuffed. Instead put onions and oranges, cut in half, loosely in both cavities. (You can add cloves off garlic and sage if desired). Butter the skin (and I slide some butter with sage under the breast skin).
I use waxed paper as a "glove" to rub the butter in thoroughly. Dust with paprika for colour and a bit of flavour. I use an onion in my ducks when I roast them both for the flavour and to hold the cavity open.

Originally Posted by kml
Cook your dressing in a separate casserole dish.
And baste in some of the drippings from the bird.

And don't forget the gravy. People here are heathens and try to make gravy right in the roasting pan by dumping in flour or corn starch.

The key is stirring - once started, a gravy has to be stirred.

Start with a roux - melt a bit of butter or fat and then add in some flour - let it scorch a bit. Add in a bit of pepper and whatever else strikes your fancy.

Take the drippings from the bird and put them into a clear bowl. Use the baster to get the drippings out and leave the fat behind. Slowly add the drippings to the roux - oh - and did I mention stir? If you don't have enough drippings you can add commercial stock crazy - I use a vegetable stock.

Oh - and stir. Let simmer just under boiling until you get the thickness you desire. While stirring.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D
D
What is wrong with making gravy in the roasting pan? Must be a Southern thing because everyone I know does it that way. Add flour, stir, and cook down to make a roux, then add cooking juices and extra stock to desired consistency.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
A
A
Originally Posted by Dawn70
What is wrong with making gravy in the roasting pan? Must be a Southern thing because everyone I know does it that way. Add flour, stir, and cook down to make a roux, then add cooking juices and extra stock to desired consistency.
I'll defer to your experience in making gravy. My own experience is only a few years old and was biased because my ex-wife used to end up with a lot of lumps and swear words wink

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My dad used to scorch the flour in the dry cast iron frypan before adding the butter. I don't bother but I remember him doing that.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard