Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Was reading an article in the WSJ about retirement, and was struck by this paragraph: 'To prompt clients to clarify their goals, Mr. Kinder asks three questions: What would you do if you had all the time and money in the world? How would you live if you knew you had only five to 10 years left? And what would you most regret if you died tomorrow?"

Seems to me these are good questions to clarify one's priorities in general, not just with retirement. I'll have to chew on them.

Meanwhile, one of my patients this morning shared that her pregnant niece had a large, maskless baby shower. And thought her 84 year old grandmother should attend! Luckily my patient is not an idiot. She brought grandma in the car - masked - so the attendees could come out and say hi to her - then took her back home. I can't help thinking of this girl's poor obstetrician - imagine how she would feel if she knew this patient had just thrown a large maskless party and put the OB's own life at risk.

I'm especially riled up because I read a story this morning about a bunch of stupid parents in Missourinthrowing a secret homecoming dance for their high school students. They purposefully hid it from the local authorities because it was an illegal gathering. No masks. This was on Nov. 7th and already now 7 attendees have Covid plus a number of other faculty and students at the school. They can't contact trace adequately because the parents deliberately did not keep a list if attendees.

A
A
Originally Posted by kml
Was reading an article in the WSJ about retirement, and was struck by this paragraph: 'To prompt clients to clarify their goals, Mr. Kinder asks three questions: What would you do if you had all the time and money in the world? How would you live if you knew you had only five to 10 years left? And what would you most regret if you died tomorrow?"
In my own mind this is rather a moot question. Personally I have no intention on dying but do have plans in place in case that happens.

I was actually offended with the advisor from my pension plan was pushing for us to convert what we have in our defined benefit plan (which pays out forever) to a defined contribution. His argument was that - well - if you are expecting to die soon this will give your beneficiaries a larger payout crazy

I recall joking with my life insurance agent as he was writing me a new policy that it was a gamble I was making. I was betting that I would die in a sudden and possibly embarrassing fashion in the near future and he was gambling that I wouldn't. A couple of weeks later I was at the beach with my family testing out a home-made boat and he waded through the surf to check to see how I was doing laugh True story.

Originally Posted by kml
I'm especially riled up because I read a story this morning about a bunch of stupid parents in Missouri throwing a secret homecoming dance for their high school students. They purposefully hid it from the local authorities because it was an illegal gathering. No masks. This was on Nov. 7th and already now 7 attendees have Covid plus a number of other faculty and students at the school. They can't contact trace adequately because the parents deliberately did not keep a list if attendees.
There's a lot of crisis fatigue going on out there perhaps made worse in your part of the world where it doesn't seem to be taken as seriously as elsewhere.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It's not crisis fatigue, it's misinformation being deliberately spread and feeding into people's denial. A widely read post this week by a nurse in South Dakota said even as she was preparing Covid patients for intubation they were claiming Covid wasn't a thing! Brainwashing is real. But so is selfishness.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
In my own mind this is rather a moot question. Personally I have no intention on dying but do have plans in place in case that happens.

Lol - I think about the questions like this:
If I had all the time and money - I'd travel more. I'd work less - but not quit working altogether, as I enjoy my work.
If I knew that I only had 5-10 years - I'd travel more. I'd work less - but not stop completely.
If I knew that I would die tomorrow - I'd make sure everybody knew I loved them and how to access my accounts.

Since question 1 and question 2 have the same answer, I guess I should focus on that. Can't travel more right now and really not until CMM passes - but I can save for that. Not ready to cut down my work hours yet but am looking at my retirement finances and trying to prepare to make that feasible.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
What would you do if you had all the time and money in the world? How would you live if you knew you had only five to 10 years left? And what would you most regret if you died tomorrow?"

Just realized that this also applies to DBers in the midst of their spouse's MLC. I've often noticed that women who are financially self sufficient often seem to have an easier time of it letting go of their spouses and moving on; the more financially dependent one is, the harder time they have with it. And in order to separate out those two things (the relationship from the financial fears) it is probably useful to use this as an exercise. What would they do about their relationship if they had all the time and money in the world? What would they do if they knew they only had 5-10 years left to live? (Would they spend three years of that waiting on a WAS to possibly come to their sense - or not?) .

Hence the advice I often give to those in that situation to just get out and LIVE. Their spouse may come back or may not. But life is precious and the WAS shouldn't take up too much of their life's energy. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, this is really advice for the people on the MLC forum here.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ugh. My middle son’s roommate probably has Covid. He had some congestion and thought he just had sinusitis because his symptoms were just from the “neck up”. My son made him call people he’d been with to warn them he was sick, and he found out the friend he visited last week has a brother who just got diagnosed with Covid! Son is disinfecting all the surfaces but they share a bathroom so it’s dicey. Dang, people just don’t understand about infection control! If you think you have a cold, in this time of Covid with everyone wearing masks, IT’S PROBABLY COVID!!!

Middle son has terrible asthma. Praying he doesn’t get it.

K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
And please people -stay home on Thanksgiving!!!!

B
B
praying along w u xoxo

zoom works great for family get togethers. that's what we're all doing on thanksgiving.

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
A
A
I use the inexpensive phone mounts and clip them on the back of a chair. At Christmas I would mirror the phone to the TV.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
K
kml Offline OP
OP Offline
K
As I’ve mentioned before, my niece is an ECMO nurse. This is a last ditch treatment for people who are already on a ventilator and not doing well. A third of Covid patients on ECMO will die despite this extraordinary measure.

She has a patient now who is a previously healthy 50 year old mom. Her twelve year old daughter brought a friend over to the house when she was not supposed to. This brought Covid into the house and now mom is near death and grandma is blaming the 12 year old.

Please take this seriously.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard