Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
job Offline
No, the moderators aren't crazy at all. Enjoy the day doodler/BradP!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
D
D
Originally Posted by Cadet
No Lance was a cadet(google him) but then flew jets over North Vietnam during the war and was shot down and captured.

He's clearly not the Lance I know, but being shot down, at least metaphorically, is very familiar to me.

D
D
Originally Posted by job
No, the moderators aren't crazy at all. Enjoy the day doodler/BradP!

Well okay, maybe delirious from the coronavirus?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I don't even TRY to have control over my threads these days. I hope somebody is sending job and Cadet batches of cookies ...

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
I don't even TRY to have control over my threads these days. I hope somebody is sending job and Cadet batches of cookies ...

Since I'm the instigator, I guess I'll be sending the cookies. Chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar, and lemon with powdered sugar on top.

But, I'm kind of surprised the moderators hijacked your thread. I mean really...

D
D
So, are we supposed to believe that doodler is Brad Pitt in disguise? I mean, using BradP as your alter ego handle seems pretty obvious but isn’t that usually how it goes?

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Originally Posted by Dawn70
So, are we supposed to believe that doodler is Brad Pitt in disguise?

I'm much more handsome than Brad, but more importantly, I never would've left Jennifer for Angelina Jolie.

D
D
Originally Posted by doodler
So, are we supposed to believe that doodler is Brad Pitt in disguise?

I'm much more handsome than Brad, but more importantly, I never would've left Jennifer for Angelina Jolie.

That is exactly what Brad Pitt would say if he was trying to throw everyone off his trail. wink

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
That is exactly what Brad Pitt would say if he was trying to throw everyone off his trail. wink

Andrew,

Sorry to hijack again, but this is my last hijack post on your thread. Okay, maybe not the last, but the almost last.

Dawn,

One look at my bank account and you'd know I'm not Brad.

Since you don't have a thread...

Speaking of Brad and movies and throwing momma from the train; I saw a really funny train related video clip last night. It was an old SNL skit. A lot of the SNL stuff is just not funny, but this video was from 10 or 15 years ago. I was laughing uncontrollably while watching it last night, and when I was in the shower this morning I thought about the video and I started laughing so hard that I nearly passed-out right there in the shower. Google "SNL Jingleheimer Junction"; you may not have the same reaction to it that I did, but I think it's pretty good.

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Well - I'm officially scared.

Read this this morning in a blog that I follow and thought it worth sharing here too
Goodness me, these are strange and uncertain times that we are living in.

I know that the vast majority of you follow my blog for light relief, for an escape from the day to day. And I shall continue to write it with the aim of delivering exactly that.

Today, however, I did just want to write one post in acknowledgement of the fact that, for most of us, life as we knew it has been turned somewhat on its axis.

Having spoken to a large number of people about how they are feeling right now, emotions range from panic to concern, from frustration to fear. For most of us, this is the first time in our lives that we will have found ourselves in a situation such as this, a situation over which we may feel we have little control.

Loss of control is one of the scariest things any of us can experience. It can be very tempting, right now, to feel that there is nothing any of us can do. But that isn't the case, and while I wrote this blog post initially as a reminder for myself - I thought there might be some of you who might also find it helpful, too.

We can't stop this current threat in its tracks - though there are measures we can all take to keep us, our loved ones, and the wider population as safe as we possibly can.

But there are choices that are absolutely still ours to make.

We can choose to look out for each other. We can choose to identify the most vulnerable around us, in our neighbourhoods, and we can choose to find a way to let them know that we're there, to do what we can to help.

We can choose to ensure our own self-interest doesn't prevent others from getting what they need. Nobody needs a car boot full of toilet rolls while the supermarket shelves are left bare. Regardless of what the next few months might hold for us all, each of us is still only going to have one arse.

We can choose to take the coping mechanisms that are right for us, in this time of uncertainty. We can choose to watch 24/7 news feeds, or we can choose to switch off all media access and social media entirely. We can choose to make the right choice for us; and, equally, we can choose not to belittle others who are making the right choice for themselves, too.

We can choose not to minimise any fear or worry anyone else is feeling. There is no right way to feel in this kind of situation; there are those who feel this is not something to panic over, and those who feel it very much is. We can choose to be there for each other, regardless of how we might be feeling.

We can choose not to take the "I'm alright, Jack" approach. We can choose to appreciate that, even though we ourselves might not fall into an "at risk" category, that that isn't the case for everyone around us, let alone their family and loved ones. We can choose to show compassion.

We can choose to reach out to those who live alone, for whom the impact of isolation can be almost as frightening as the virus itself. We can make the most of the amazing range of technology we have available to us to be there, even when we cannot be there in person.

We can choose to do everything we can to support and care for the real life superheroes working for our NHS, for our emergency services, for our care homes and for social services and for other essential public services. We can be understanding of the unimaginable pressures they are about to be faced with, and we can not be a total dick when we have to wait many, many times more than standard waiting times for any kind of medical treatment other than that which is quite literally saving lives.

We can choose to not forget to find the small pleasures and the humour in the everyday. Listen to music. Watch the leaves moving the in the trees. Sing loudly; dance around your kitchen; lose yourself in an amazing book; laugh at old movies. We can choose to make sure to find the happy moments in every day.

We can choose to phone every single person we love and tell them that we love them. Tell them multiple times. Tell them every time you are lucky enough to speak to them. For any of us who is lucky enough to love and be loved, we should never, ever miss that opportunity to tell those around us what they mean to us.

And we can choose to be kind. No, this virus can't be stopped with kindness, however much we might wish it was so. But the nature of the world we live in will be determined as much as how we respond to the circumstances with which we are all now faced, as it will by those circumstances itself.

It is easy to show kindness in the good times; it is far, far harder to show kindness in the bad. When we are scared, or worried, or angry, or frustrated, kindness to those around us is frequently one of the first things to let slide.

But we have a choice. No matter how out of control we may feel things around us are... we have a choice, in how we respond.

And I personally will be choosing to remind myself of that every day, because I believe that the way in which we respond right now, the way in which we treat our fellow human beings around us... that will as much determine the future of what our world looks like as any of the current circumstances which feel, at this point in time, so very much out of our control.

Choose to be kind.

Always ♥️

Things seem to be changing almost hourly. Today I'm working from home as it was decided to try to run the office at the plant with at most one person. We can do it but it will be tough. I was told as I was driving in yesterday so quickly thought about what was needed and went to the hardware store and picked up a box of screws wink Those who know me understand.

I'm typing this in my home office with the three "girls". Yes - today there's another one. S's dog Nara is here. A little MaltiPoo who is about the same size and colour as Liz and Amy. Relations with them are uncomfortable and they generally ignore each other but there is a certain amount of jealousy going on. There was a "to do" last night when Liz randomly wandered over and smacked Nara on the head which then escalated. Ah "kids". All three are in the office with me ignoring the perfectly usable rest of the house eyeing each other warily from different pet beds.

I've come to the conclusion that S has moved in although she probably doesn't believe it. She's spent pretty much every weekend here for months now. She went back to her apartment late yesterday to take care of stuff there but will be back later today and probably stay over. All of the plans she'd had for doctors appointments, going to see her D25 in Ottawa are all canceled. I suggested that rather than haul the dog back and forth that she'd stay here. That worked until about 1:30am when Nara and Amy decided to serenade me from the kitchen and I dumped Nara on the bed where she promptly laid down on the pillow that S uses and fell asleep.

While she and S13 were here yesterday they started to strip the wallpaper on what used to be my D27's room. It was difficult for me as I'd pretty much left that room as a shrine to my daughter. The chalk board where she wrote down poems and song lyrics, the marks on the wallpaper when we measured her height. I need to let go and fortunately S I believe understands that it's hard.

S's D25 her husband and their baby are moving probably this weekend from Ottawa to stay with his parents. D25's H is out of work right now as a massage therapist and they were going to move anyway within the next month or so. Not having rent will be a good thing for them. He's supposed to be starting a new job in the local city but that may be on hold. S will be very happy to have her daughter and GS close by. I expect that they will be spending a lot of time here. As is maybe the case for the oldest kids of a single-mom, D25 is extremely capable and uber-organized. S is hoping that she'll help with her own move from her apartment to here when the time comes.

I personally believe that this is going to hit us hard and directly. While I've not been hoarding, I usually have a good inventory of food and other supplies and did top it up with some gluten free options yesterday on the way home from work. Can't eat #8 wood screws. In the spirit of St Patrick's day I bought a 10lb bag of potatoes instead of the usual 5lb one wink I had potato pancakes for breakfast this morning. S made sure yesterday that her family's prescriptions are all up to date.

I did also take the very very rare step for me and include a brief note with my ex-wife's monthly payment a couple of days ago hoping that she is keeping safe. No response. No surprise. She works retail so is, in my opinion, at a fairly high risk. She's always had a certain amount of health issues and handling cash and people's purchases gives a vector. OM I know is a fair bit older than her, perhaps pushing close to 70 at this point I think but I don't know anything about his health.

I did run in to her bosses / my neighbours last night while taking the dog for her evening walk. They are an older couple who are certainly in their 70s. They seem to have also acquired a dog who isn't clear on the proper way to walk. Other than the obligatory side trips to sniff things and to urinate on them (hi job!) she walks right at my left heel. I assured her that she was a Very Very Good Girl. Anyhoo - they weren't looking all that healthy and called to me to keep 6' away as we approached. Again, difficult when you are running a pair of convenience / liquor stores. They're nice people but smack dab in the centre of the at risk demographic.

Whoops! Power just went out. Running off my phone network connection. These are going to be trying times. Especially for those of us around us here who are going through the fires post bomb-day. Please everyone. Be kind.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard