Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
kml #2889929 03/20/20 02:48 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by kml
Are they experimenting with any off-label drugs for treatment? Yesterday I saw a trial with hydroxychloroquine plus Azithromycin with very promising results (hydroxychloroquine is not a completely benign drug for the folks reading along so don’t go running to your doctors asking for a bottle; plus we need to preserve supplies for the people who really need it. It can cause vision loss in some cases for instance).
The study showed the combination reduced PCR levels to 10% in 3 days and almost zero in five. The combination was better than hydroxychloroquine alone at doing this, not sure why.

I am clearly NOT a doctor, so take this for what it is worth. I went to high school with a guy who is a doctor in our hometown and there must be some kind of study out there floating around because he posted on his facebook yesterday to not start calling his office asking for those specific drugs that you mentioned for exactly the reasons you stated. I, blessedly, am not sick and on top of that, I am not a medicine taker anyway. I don't like to take stuff unless I absolutely HAVE to, so I won't be running out asking for anything, but if this is an effective drug, let's save it for those who really need it unless there is an endless supply for everyone.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
Ginger1 #2889976 03/20/20 10:15 PM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
What a day. It’s awful on the inside. I had all COVID patients today and they are rebuilding my unit to be the COVID unit. I got kicked off my unit because they are restructuring the whole thing. Making the nurses station enclosed. The nurses are beyond stressed. One was crying. They are being lose with guideline. I now sit with the next person 6 inches away from me. A young patient is dying. He is an NP who came into contact with positive patients. I don’t think he’s going to make it.

All these patients are on hydroxychloroquine/azythromycin some got approval for the use of another another anti viral. They are using HIV antivirals.

All I can say it’s different on the inside. Very different. And really scary. I’m exhausted and stressed and feel so bad for those giving direct care. I bought our floor lunch today. They needed a pick me up. I wanted to hug them, but I can’t.

I am actually emotionally spent. Back to work tomorrow. I don’t have a day off until next Saturday .

I am still thankful to have a job I go to every day. But I think the truth is I will probably get this. I am probably a carrier. I just pray I don’t pass it to anyone else

Ginger1 #2889981 03/21/20 02:13 AM
B
B
prayers G. stay positive honey rest as much as you can. xoxoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
Ginger1 #2889995 03/21/20 05:28 AM
B
B
Oh Ginger, take care, sister. XOXO. I’m with you. I didn’t read all your posts because I’m so tired. I think you are in the North East and so we are just behind you on the west. I’m an ICU Charge nurse and I’m on day 10 of I don’t know how many. The patients are coming. We can’t get test results so they are taking up ICU beds. We are running out of PPE. People are scared and tired. They are cutting holes in every ICU room for more filters. But we don’t have enough staff if we fill these rooms. I feel like we are watching a hurricane coming. I barely sleep and I just keep getting up every day and trying to fight and plan and prepare. It’s surreal. But I’m in this and just keep going ... I hope we can all win the battle together .... PS Everyone please, please stay home .....

Blu

“Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear. That is why it is such a powerful weapon.” – Nelson Mandela
Ginger1 #2890001 03/21/20 10:39 AM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Bluewave! You are truly on the frontlines as an ICU Charge nurse, I used to be the same! It's actually been hard for me not to be at the bedside in all of this treating these people. I cared for a very sick young H1N1 patient back in the day who ended up dying. Doctors wouldn't go in the room. Nurses and respiratory only ended up in there. My daughter was an infant at the time and I certainly had more than a few turns to care for him. It was scary

I am in the northeast, in the NY/NJ metropolitan area. Right outside of bergen county which got hit very hard. Alot of people who live where I work travel into NY for work. We are saturated with cases.The arguement is on between whether this is droplet or airborne precautions, We ran out of Hepa filters so administration felt "eh, droplet is enough". This left our charge nurse crying. I just want to hug them all, but I can't! My unit is an intermediate unit and they may begin taking ICU cases and the nurses are worried about that. I kind of just want ot get back to the bedside and help them there, but we are shorthanded and my dad is having a heart attack when he heard nurses are being pulled from their non bedisde positions to fight this battle.

My thoughts are with you and your staff. I do hope everyone stays home while all the healthcare workers fight their battles. I have hear this will literally be like a warzone disaster operation.

PLease take care of yourself at this time. You have to. I know how hard it is to sleep, function eat, BUt you have to care for yourself, ok?! Stay strong and stay safe!

Ginger1 #2890003 03/21/20 11:13 AM
P
P
So crazy.... grateful for both of you. Stay safe!

Ginger1 #2890008 03/21/20 02:46 PM
K
kml Offline
K
I spent the afternoon and evening yesterday sewing fabric masks for healthcare workers.

How long have your patients there been on the hydroxychloroquine/Azithromycin combo? In the study (prepublication) the blood PCR levels (viral RNA in the blood) decreased to 10% in like 3 days and was virtually zero in 5.

I did treat one outpatient this week with presumptive CoVID (couldn’t get her a test because we still have hardly any tests here and you pretty much have to be getting admitted to the hospital with pneumonia to get one; but the history and progression of symptoms over a week was highly suspicious). She improved significantly within a day. Without a test I can’t be sure she didn’t just have a secondary bacterial infection that responded to the Azithromycin. But her symptoms really lined up best with CoVID and I think I kept her out of the hospital.

Some natural/preventive things you can try:
Caffeic acid - coffee is rich in this compound, or I got Green Coffee extract capsules which have very little caffeine but lots of Caffeic acid. A study last year showed it was effective against another, milder coronavirus.

Vitamin D - deficiency makes people more susceptible to many infections.

Andrographis - this herb has been studied in dengue fever for its interaction with furin, a protein that also seems to be involved in this coronavirus.

As for recovery - SARS patients were studied for the lung fibrosis they developed ; this seemed to be due to activation of EGFR. Natural substances that block EGFR include melatonin, ECGC (green tea extract) and honokiol. They might turn out to be helpful.

Hoping your young NP pulls through. My nurse is an ECMO nurse on the front lines and she’s scared to death.

Ginger1 #2890012 03/21/20 03:58 PM
K
kml Offline
K
My NIECE is an ECMO nurse.

kml #2890021 03/21/20 05:29 PM
job Offline
I am keeping all of the medical staff and emergency personnel in my thoughts and prayers during this time of crisis because you are needed more now than ever. Praying for everyone in the world as we all are going through this crisis. Please, please get as much rest as you can when you are home, drink plenty of fluids and the info that kml provided may be very helpful to all of you.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
Ginger1 #2890142 03/23/20 10:51 AM
G
Ginger1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you so much Job. They need all the prayers they can get. It's really bad. We are running out of supplies. ANd we are getting more and more patient's. An ED doctor from one of our sister hospitals is a new one. One is actually E's ex wife's friend's mom. SHe's doing well though. BUt when you aren't doing well with this, you aren't doing well.

I got kicked off my unit friday because they made it into the COVID unit. Just started building walls and windows..... FOr now we are sitting on a different unit with a literal 6 inches apart from us. It's not good. We should be working from home. We can do our jobs from home. But we aren't. I worked my job at my other hospital in the same system and they are protecting their case managers better, keeping them out of ALL rooms, not only iso. They are allowed to wear scrubs. Not us! We are shoved like sardines in a tiny closet office right int he middle of a unit. It's just stressful. ANd i really feel for those on the frontlines. That used to be me.

In other news, D12 is doing well with her home schooling. It is indefinitie when she will return. E and I are not physically seeing eachother for now due to my exposure. HIs son's decision at first. Now it's mine because I was too close for comfort to these COVID patients and I can't social distance at work. I can say this. E is REALLY into me. He likes me alot. I'm all over the board with my feelings. He is not what I am used to, that's for sure. I realize I do have certain qualities in a man I am usually attracted to. Usually a manly man type. That is not E. I call him bougee all the time. He grew up rich, likes the good things in life, can't fix anything, and grooms and pampers himself like a metrosexual. He isn't gay. He is just well cared for. At least he plays sports, lol. He's a self proclaimed Mr. Niceguy. ANd he did tell me he really doesn't drink. He does once in a blue moon. But I have drank everytime in front of him, and he never said anything. It's my thing, my wine at night, and no one is going to stop me! He knows hes a pushover. But he can be really sweet. So, I am just going to see how this plays out.

My ex has been so good to me. Never thought I would say that. He went to home depot to pick up the right door knob for D12's room when I couldn't find it. He installed it when he came to pick her up. He made homemade sauce and made a container for which he will drop off with D12. (it's not for D12, because she doesn't like red sauce). He is also giving me a few rolls of TP. Maybe people do change? It makes me a little sad he wasn't good to me when we were married. But hey, I'm glad he's good to me now. ANd no, he doesn't want me back and I don't want him back. When there is no pressure, I think it's easier to be kinder. My ex was always so good to his friends. He would always help them out when they needed it. His g/f's wives were people who were supposed to do for him. Now I am neither, he's better and I'll take it.

That's all folks, off to work! Stay safe everyone!

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard