Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
U
I suggest responding over phone call or in person. E-mails (or texts) will be torn apart and parsed and misinterpreted. Any whiff of defensiveness will be counter-attacked.

Or start with #3 (the short e-mail) and suggest discussing more over the phone/in-person.

What is your parenting schedule BTW?

I've been through a lot of accusations like this during my separation. Neffer had perfect advice. Address what needs to be addressed, otherwise, validate. The distinction can be hard to see in the moment. It will be really easy for her to put you on the defensive... be on guard so that you don't become defensive automatically, it doesn't work.

From the above I gathered you may have a convo like this:

Her: "You don't let me talk to D4 when you have her and she says she misses me!"

You: "This is a delay tactic at bedtime. D4 doesn't talk about missing you otherwise."

Notice there is no validation there and your STBXW would be further inflamed.

The separation anxiety here is your W's separation anxiety, not D4's. It may take awhile to settle down. It may never settle down. If you can empathize with your W's anxiety, that this must be a difficult process for her, while also standing up for yourself, you have struck the right balance.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by unchien
I suggest responding over phone call or in person. E-mails (or texts) will be torn apart and parsed and misinterpreted. Any whiff of defensiveness will be counter-attacked.

Glad I'm not the only one with this fear. Her email is a [short] list of complaints - I'm struggling to see how to address them without coming across as defensive.

Or start with #3 (the short e-mail) and suggest discussing more over the phone/in-person.

I will probably do this. I'm thinking of starting out by saying what I think she is saying ("...it sounds like you are concerned that I am not respecting D4's choices...") and then not addressing the specific accusations - that way I can confirm her issues (rather than address incorrect ones, perhaps inflaming matters). Thoughts?

What is your parenting schedule BTW?

50/50, D4 is with me Tues, Thurs, every other weekend. Holidays alternate by year. If one of us is out (e.g. for vacation) for 48 or more hours the other gets first right of refusal.

I've been through a lot of accusations like this during my separation. Neffer had perfect advice. Address what needs to be addressed, otherwise, validate. The distinction can be hard to see in the moment. It will be really easy for her to put you on the defensive... be on guard so that you don't become defensive automatically, it doesn't work.

I hear you but easier said than done, at least for me. STBXW is stating that I'm not following the parenting agreement and that I'm not giving D4 agency - I disagree with her but feel that any defense will be, well, defensive.

From the above I gathered you may have a convo like this:

Her: "You don't let me talk to D4 when you have her and she says she misses me!"

You: "This is a delay tactic at bedtime. D4 doesn't talk about missing you otherwise."

Notice there is no validation there and your STBXW would be further inflamed.

Yep, and I'll be honest - a mean part of me wants her to be inflamed, to shout at her that D4 DOES miss her, but she doesn't want facetime, she wants a hug, she wants you here, she wants her family, and stop putting the fallout from your bad choices on me. But I save these mini-rants for IC and you lucky folks. I will not bring up anything that's not in her email (e.g. that I have concerns about some things that D4 has told me but I haven't brought up because I attribute it to different parenting styles, would appreciate the same respect).

The separation anxiety here is your W's separation anxiety, not D4's. It may take awhile to settle down. It may never settle down. If you can empathize with your W's anxiety, that this must be a difficult process for her, while also standing up for yourself, you have struck the right balance.

I'm glad you said that because that has been my suspicion. Thing is that I don't know what is going on in her head and for me to empathize with something I'm uncertain of may come across as condescending. Also, in the past she's accused me of "gaslighting" her so if I'm wrong about the anxiety (or right but it hits a nerve with her) it could inflame the situation.

I'm going to run some errands and then come back to the email. Right now I'm leaning toward a short email that confirms her concerns (validates), say that I'm mindful of these (without going into details or a list of examples), say that I can empathize with the concerns about what goes on when I'm not around, and offer to meet to discuss further.

I'll put money that her response will be via email and to demand that I address each of her accusations, no need to discuss what is black and white in the parenting plan, blah blah blah (but hopefully I'm wrong!).

M(35), W(35), D(4)
M-9, T-12 Bomb Drop (D announcement) - May 3, 2019
W moved out Aug 13
House sold Sept 25
Papers signed Nov 15
Divorce finalized Dec 12
U
U
I think you have the right idea.

Also my speculation on your W having separation anxiety is just speculation and mind reading. I agree if you validate that without her directly expressing it, it will backfire. But it may help you understand her mindset and thus avoid stepping on an emotional landline during these tricky interactions. She’s not trying to destroy you. It ticks me off what S and D are doing to my kids too, and I think it’s good to acknowledge your anger and resentment and frustration, just keep that stuff out of your interactions with your W. It’s all business.

Last edited by unchien; 12/01/19 05:08 PM.
C
OP Offline
C
Ok, I ended up going really short with the email, sent this:

"Hey, sounds like you are concerned that I'm not allowing D4 to make choices and that I'm choosing to keep her from you (both physically and virtually), is that correct? Just want to make sure that I understand where you are coming from."

As I re-read her email for the 5th time (or more) I realized that there is no way for me to even acknowledge without appearing to agree or disagree with her so decided to go the trying to understand route.

M(35), W(35), D(4)
W moved out Aug 13
House sold Sept 25
Papers signed Nov 15
Divorce finalized Dec 12
C
OP Offline
C
Quick recap - STBXW responded by saying that she is concerned for D4 and that I'm not following the divorce agreement (accusatory). I sent a note back saying that D4 is my top priority, that I appreciate her sharing her views with me, but that I'm not seeing the symptoms and I'm in alignment with the agreement. If she wants to talk more I offered to meet in person today (Friday). So...

STBXW and I met this afternoon to talk about the emails, etc. Good conversation overall. We started by talking about some scheduling items. I'm going on vacation in January and, with holidays, it would result in me barely seeing D4 at all during the month. Our custody arrangement allows that and it's my choice to go on vacation so I told her that I respect her decision either way, no hard feelings. She traded a weekend, definitely something "for" me and I really appreciate it.

Regarding the separation anxiety issues, she is saying that the issue exists and that it only manifests itself when D4 is with her. Single dads, what's your experience? D4 is happy when she's with me like 95% of the time. STBXW says that she is having headaches, issues sleeping, and so on, with her, because she's scared of STBXW not being around. I'm open to making changes that help D4 but it really feels like an issue between STBXW and D4 rather than me. STBXW wants to take D4 to counseling, perhaps have the two of us go, too. Seems like a waste to me - I am reading books, making sure that my time w/ D4 is quality time (no screens, etc.), and so on... not sure what I could possibly improve. I don't really want to spend my time and money on what seems like her issue.

She offered some bait by saying that she was giving me "grace" for some things I am doing as a dad that she doesn't agree with. I didn't ask what they were (had to bite my tongue, ha). I probably could have done more validation overall but overall it was a pleasant conversation. Went 45 minutes without me noticing. All business. She asked me about my work but I couldn't tell her anything even if I wanted to (my work is privileged - as a couple I could share more than I should but now? No way.). Didn't pry about hers, ask about anything personal, etc.

At this point it feels like a business relationship, nothing more. I don't know how I feel about that. Certainly not good but also not really bad. I don't feel like I have to resist the urge to talk about reconciliation in any form. I'm just being a dad. Well, if I'm honest, I'm also still a bit angry that I am put in the position where I have to justify my actions as D4's parent while STBXW walks out the door and can pretend she has her best interests at heart. I did have to resist defensiveness/justifications.

M(35), W(35), D(4)
W moved out Aug 13
House sold Sept 25
Papers signed Nov 15
Divorce finalized Dec 12
U
U
Hey crd ~

My W recently raised concerns about S7 and wanting him to see somebody. Well actually... I initially raised the concern, and she seemed to latch on because she thinks his issues are my fault (she stated this clearly in our last MC). Which has me worried...

I would hope that child counselors are really good at figuring out when parents are having the problems and not the kids. My guess is some are, and some are not. I would guess your STBXW is not trying to sabotage things... she is emotional and worried and has her anxieties. I would worry more about the subtle messaging. For instance, my S7 has a GPS-tracker phone watch that my W wants him to wear when he is with me. I ask that he also wears it with her -- not because I really want him to (I would throw the watch in the garbage if I could), but because I don't want him receiving the subtle message that I am unsafe. In similar fashion, my W regularly wants me to update her what I am doing with the kids. I find this intrusive, and also another subtle message to the kids.

In short, I worry about the subtle messages my STBXW is communicating. The problem is... I don't think you can really control this. Maybe D4 goes to see somebody, and that person talks to both you and STBXW, and that person decides the separation anxiety issue is STBXW's. Do you think STBXW would be receptive to that feedback? My guess is probably not.

My sense is that things are still very raw between you and your STBXW. In my sitch, I hope when things thaw a bit that we do go to some family counseling to make sure the kids are doing okay. I hope my STBXW and I can get along at that level. But I would not go today, because there would be accusations of unfairness and poor parenting, etc.

Sorry for the long-winded answer. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Stay the course. Keep learning how to be a better parent -- I also bought a bunch of books and even took a parenting class offered at a deep discount by my county. Validate your W's feelings, and then respectfully state your opinion. Share what you see with D4. Acknowledge her concerns without necessarily agreeing. It's going to take some time and work on your part as well but hopefully things thaw between you and STBXW as you both start to trust each other a little more. I am confident you can do this. Six months ago my W was afraid to let me have the kids overnight at all - she thought I was violent and unsafe and abusive. Today I am close to 50/50. It was a hellish experience and I had to do a ton of validation and tiptoeing and not reacting to what seemed like completely irrational and crazy accusations. And it was all worth it. Still a work in progress.

Also... I would absolutely agree that you should not be okay with STBXW and D4 going on their own to counseling.

So basically, understand this is a huge adjustment for everyone involved, and things will more than likely settle down a bit. If you think STBXW has valid concerns about D4, by all means go get help for D4. That is more important than anything.

U
U
Originally Posted by crdcheck
Well, if I'm honest, I'm also still a bit angry that I am put in the position where I have to justify my actions as D4's parent while STBXW walks out the door and can pretend she has her best interests at heart. I did have to resist defensiveness/justifications.

Completely relatable.

Think of the criticism of your parenting just like the criticism of you as a H. Stay true to your values, and do what you think is best for D4. There's no need to defend. Your W thinks exiting the MR was best for D4. She has different feelings than you.

It's good to acknowledge your anger. You would be a heartless robot if you weren't angry.

C
OP Offline
C

I would hope that child counselors are really good at figuring out when parents are having the problems and not the kids. My guess is some are, and some are not. I would guess your STBXW is not trying to sabotage things... she is emotional and worried and has her anxieties. I would worry more about the subtle messaging.
In short, I worry about the subtle messages my STBXW is communicating. The problem is... I don't think you can really control this. Maybe D4 goes to see somebody, and that person talks to both you and STBXW, and that person decides the separation anxiety issue is STBXW's. Do you think STBXW would be receptive to that feedback? My guess is probably not.

Agree with you on this for sure - it's a concern. STBXW will nail herself to a cross for D4 but that doesn't mean that it's valuable. Still, I worry that people will look at her, look at me, and say that I need to defer to her.

My sense is that things are still very raw between you and your STBXW. In my sitch, I hope when things thaw a bit that we do go to some family counseling to make sure the kids are doing okay. I hope my STBXW and I can get along at that level. But I would not go today, because there would be accusations of unfairness and poor parenting, etc.

Look, I don't know. As angry as I can be with her I'm scared when I see her. I'm still thinking about how to validate because I want a chance to make this work. There is definitely a bit of competition - I feel compelled to take D4 to Frozen 2 before STBXW does, and she felt compelled to take her to her first movie without me. But we aren't arguing in any way, there isn't much more than business conversation. Frankly, I talk a big game when I'm away from her but, when I see her, my heart stops. I won't say that I want to beg, etc., but, man, if she said that there was a chance, I'm worried I would regress back to where I was when I first arrived here.

Sorry for the long-winded answer.

Don't be, I'm a long-winded poster!

Six months ago my W was afraid to let me have the kids overnight at all - she thought I was violent and unsafe and abusive. Today I am close to 50/50. It was a hellish experience and I had to do a ton of validation and tiptoeing and not reacting to what seemed like completely irrational and crazy accusations. And it was all worth it. Still a work in progress.

Congrats!!!!

Also... I would absolutely agree that you should not be okay with STBXW and D4 going on their own to counseling.

Yeah, I made a mistake there - I may have said that she can do whatever she wants with her time/money, tried to walk that back today by reminding her to send me the website and excerpts from books with strategies for combating separation anxiety. On that one, I'm fine to take part in the strategies if they don't have a negative impact.

So basically, understand this is a huge adjustment for everyone involved, and things will more than likely settle down a bit. If you think STBXW has valid concerns about D4, by all means go get help for D4. That is more important than anything.

Agree with what you are saying. I don't think that her concerns are valid. But if others here have had experiences in line with STBXWs (i.e. child is only showing signs of separation anxiety with parent who they are upset about being separated from, not showing with other parent, school, friends, etc.) I would be more open.

Last edited by crdcheck; 12/13/19 04:15 AM.

M(35), W(35), D(4)
W moved out Aug 13
House sold Sept 25
Papers signed Nov 15
Divorce finalized Dec 12
C
OP Offline
C
Today was a bit of a tough day. STBXW requested money from me via Venmo for D4's clothes. This is totally normal, part of our divorce agreement (she buys all of the clothes, I reimburse 50% up to a set amount). But something caught my eye - her last name was her maiden. We both were lax about that in the past so I thought that maybe she had always been [maiden]. But then I confirmed that she changed in on facebook in the past month. And it hit me. Not logical, not rational, not like I believed that she wasn't going to go through with this because she hadn't changed her name online. But man, it's hit me. You'd think that I'd be done by now as I sit in a house I bought by myself two months ago, eating by myself like I have been for three months, us barely acknowledging each other's presence at work and so on that I'd be resolved to the end but I guess not. Really [censored].

M(35), W(35), D(4)
W moved out Aug 13
House sold Sept 25
Papers signed Nov 15
Divorce finalized Dec 12
A
A
C, sorry for the "wake-up call" you got from her, this kind of stuff hurts. But keep in mind this is all part of her need to distance from you, and this is just another way she is doing that. Just process the grief and continue with your DB'ing. Don't acknowledge it to her in any way whatsoever. One of my neighbor's wife left him and got a tattoo of a dragonfly with "She's finally free!" in Latin above or below it. 6 months later she moved right back in with him. I attribute a lot of that fast turnaround on how he reacted to being BD'd- he showed her where the door was and wished her luck. A lot of times when they are set free they discover it's not so great after all.

Me: 60 w/ S18, D24, D27

M: 21 years; BD: 06-14-12; S: 09-10-12; D final: 03-17-14; XW:57
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard