Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
D
D
Someone should seriously tell those people (looking at you and your kind, Andrew) to stop calling that brown stuff that they pour over poutine "gravy". Come on down to the south and let us show you what gravy really is. But, seriously, even when making it right, who puts cheese and gravy together? (Shudder...……………………..)

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
W
W
Pah!

If you want real gravy, you need to come to the U.K. a typical Sunday roast here would include cauliflower cheese, topped with grilled cheddar and yes.........

With gravy poured over. Yum!

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah - doodler and Dawn - tempting me out of the shadows by dissing our cuisine laugh You two need to expand your horizons and accept that other cultures will have practices, such as putting pinapple on pizza that most reasonable people find abhorrent.
Originally Posted by doodler
How was Ottawa?
That's this coming weekend.
Are you finding enough space in your house to store your new girlfriend’s stuff?
Have to get "20 something's" stuff out first or build another shed wink
When will the fam be moving in?
Two of her 3 at home kids know where the house is. D18 has heard about the comfy cast iron tub and been allowed in the kitchen door by her mother presumably as a secondary scouting party. My expectation is that they will move in when we're out of town mainly because I keep saying that my WiFi is better than their's. I don't "think" that they know where the spare key is, but breaking in is easy. Just knock on the door and S25 will open it especially if they bring a plate of delicious poutine - with proper cheese curds and not grated cheese.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Ah - doodler and Dawn - tempting me out of the shadows by dissing our cuisine laugh You two need to expand your horizons and accept that other cultures will have practices, such as putting pinapple on pizza that most reasonable people find abhorrent.

Agreed, pineapple on pizza is abhorrent. Check this out...

"Greek-Canadian Sam Panopoulos claimed that he created the first Hawaiian pizza at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ontario, Canada in 1962."

sick

D
D
I’m totally open to other cuisines. I think we all just need to get on the sam page with names and learn what gravy is. Westo, you totally had me at cauliflower with cheese sauce, until you poured gravy over it and I suspect that what you call gravy is akin to what Andrew calls gravy. No thanks! Pineapple on pizza????? That is just blasphemy right there. Mr. Pizza Hut is probably rolling over in his grave. And lest we get ahead of ourselves, I’m fully aware that Pizza Hut isn’t good pizza but I live in the sticks with no cell signal at my house so cut me some slack. If I can’t even get cell service, how can I be expected to get REAL pizza (minus the pineapple because that is just wrong). My good southern roots tell me the best use for a pineapple is a good, old-fashioned pineapple upside down cake fresh out of the oven in a cast iron skillet or as part of a glaze on a big ole juicy spiral cut ham. Of course, there is the ever popular southern dump cake and hummingbird cake, both of which call for crushed pineapple. So see, not averse to pineapple.....just don’t want it on my pizza because it doesn’t belong there.

Me 52, H53
Bomb drop 9/29/2014
Divorce from XH final 12/17/2014
Marriage #2 12/31/2019
5 adult (step)daughters (3 from XH's first marriage, 2 from current H's previous relationships)
6 grandkids
D
D
Andrew,

Will you be indulging in the fine Canadian prairie oysters whilst in Ottawa this weekend?

A
AndrewP Offline OP
OP Offline
A
"Greek-Canadian Sam Panopoulos claimed that he created the first Hawaiian pizza at the Satellite Restaurant in Chatham, Ontario, Canada in 1962."

sick
I've been to Chatham. No further explanation is required.
Andrew,

Will you be indulging in the fine Canadian prairie oysters whilst in Ottawa this weekend?
LOL - Is this the equivalent of poking me with a stick to make sure I'm still breathing? laugh

I've never had the beef, but I had the pork ones when I was young. Very tasty especially when fried in butter. In Ottawa I'll undoubtedly have a beaver tail (get your mind out of the gutter please) laugh

------

Vacation has started. I'm almost over the cold I caught last week. It took some time but I figured out I think where it came from. On Remembrance Day I went to the cenotaph close to the plant and was chatting with a man there and in the course of the conversation we shook hands. He had a dripping nose. That and standing in the cold and wind for about an hour - a small price to pay to recognize the sacrifices of those who made it possible for me to BE standing there - tipped me over the edge.

I had a tickle in my throat and warned S on Wednesday which she shrugged off and so we both have been sick because for some reason we seem to have done things that thoroughly populated us with common germs. Go figure. She doesn't seem upset at me that she got sick at least.

The weekend together was good. S decided that she wanted to come over on Friday night so I picked her up after work at her apartment where the kids had been given their marching orders. S12's Dad arrived as we were leaving to pick him up for the weekend. S stayed until late Sunday and S25 joined us for a nice Sunday Supper of ham and scalloped potatoes which I actually did right. I'd been struggling with that recipe and had to adapt it so that the sauce was gluten free. S made two apple crumbles using the gluten free oats that I'd stocked up on. We had one and she took the other home.

Packing her up to go home proved to be an exercise. Unlike B, S had her stuff well scattered around the house and it was actually quite late by the time we got her home. I noticed that S25 had found some small pink socks in the dryer as well as she had brought laundry over to do so that it would be caught up before our vacation. I've also found a few things here and there that were overlooked. With that and the long red hairs that she has been shedding in the car, her territory is well marked.

At her apartment - not to my surprise at all - things were in a state of chaos. I believe "words" were spoken after I left. I expect similar results when we get back next Monday.

To nobody's surprise, S appears to be trying to move things along at a breakneck speed. I did have a talk with her and told her that I need time to process things. I'm not objecting to a possible destination but need time to figure out how to get there and TBH - to this audience only - making sure that it's going to be a place where I will want to be and will be happy and content. She's offered that she has some opinions on that matter. I've also pushed a bit on what does "she" want as she seems to be focusing on my wants, needs and interests. I still don't have a clear understanding of that although she does have a big attachment to the sort of place she lived in with XH#2 - a hobby farm. While not really urban, I do live in the middle of a village. In fact, around the corner from where she lived for a year or so after she left H#3 about 5 years ago.

Integrating happy families seems to be a priority for S. She's invited S25 through me a few times to be part of things which I've declined on his behalf. I need to talk to S25 and see what he thinks. Her crew will probably come over for the Santa Claus parade in a couple of weeks and stay for hot cocoa. We'll probably go all together to a local Christmas festival that supports an environmental charitable foundation I used to sit on the board of directors of.

S has told me that she won't be able to get me a Christmas present and I assured her that the best gift of all is her time. I think I've got figured out what to get her but need to confirm it with her D25 this weekend that it is appropriate. A mani-pedi for her and a bestie at a local spa is part of it. I'm confident that that sort of spoiling isn't something that she's had the luxury of. The other and perhaps more controversial part is that I was thinking of getting Christmas Stocking treats. Nuts, candy, small toys etc. Essentially what I would get for my own family. She and her crew are spending Christmas with her Dad and this would help make their Christmas Morning a bit better than it might be otherwise. S' D25 will be able to tell me if this would be considered positive or intrusive and also what sort of things are traditional in her family. Not budget breaking for me, certainly not something sparkly but hopefully thoughtful.

Well - time to climb in to the tub and have a nice soak then pack up my stuff, pick up S and then off to our overnight get-away and then the next day off to Ottawa.

On BD
H52, W50
T27, M26
S21, D23
BD-9-Mar-16
D-15-Jan-18 Final-19-Apr-18
I am a storyteller. The story may do you no good.
But a story is never for the listener. It is always for the one who tells
D
D
LOL - Is this the equivalent of poking me with a stick to make sure I'm still breathing? laugh

No on the poking you, but yes to making sure you're still breathing. After all, I might have to use your storage facilities.

In Ottawa I'll undoubtedly have a beaver tail (get your mind out of the gutter please) laugh

Beaver tail? Sounds furry. I like tacos. Why would my mind be in the gutter?

To nobody's surprise, S appears to be trying to move things along at a breakneck speed. I did have a talk with her and told her that I need time to process things. I'm not objecting to a possible destination but need time to figure out how to get there and TBH..

I'm aghast!

I think Christmas stockings is a nice gesture without being overstated.

And, it's okay with me if you get me a Gunboat 66 catamaran for Christmas. I promise to sail it often.

D
D
Just to clarify... she's talking about you moving?? I assume into a new place where you two blend your families together? How long have you been dating? This seems to be a bit early for that kind of conversation! And she can't afford to get you a Christmas present? Very strange. Please correct me if I've misunderstood something!

G
G
I’m lost...... you’ve been dating for a few months and she wants you to move out of your house and somewhere else together? She talking about this?

Please please please slam on the brakes.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard