Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the vote of confidence Val!

It’s a boy, Yosemite was fun!

Respective of the company relocation. They want me to move with them or terminate. I have too many unknowns to make a decision as yet. I am leaning toward moving, but the cost of living is intimidating and I think it foolish to sell my house here.

So I don’t know yet. I need a bit more time to mull my options and see if there is something local I can find that will provide similar income.

I was trained to make decision upon incomplete information and adjust as needed. I’ll get by.

BITS
Me 55, ACK, when did that happen? Doesn't feel like 55
D 30
S 27

You create your own universe as you go along - Winston Churchill
W
W
Congrats, Grandpa!

About the job relocation, isn't telecommuting an option for you, JS? I've telecommuted a numerous times with success.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Wonka, just like during the D I appreciate different perspectives and suggestions as I work through this change.

I wish telecommuting was an option I could exercise to maintain some stability here, and doubtless I will have to do some during the transition. It is not a permanent option or one of the choices I have been presented with.

Upper management explained they want product and customer support experience to move with them. The depth of experience in the call center is 26 yrs and the core group is not looking upon the move favorably. I already know my technical training resources have declined and one of my younger resources is transitioning into a field service position.

I am beginning to wonder if I will be a department of one desperate to recruit and spool up others. I really need to meet with HR again to determine what their expectations are. At this point I do not know what their plan is or how I can plan to meet expectations. I understand their desire for a commitment before sharing too much. I do not wish to commit before I know more and have a better personal plan.

This is a common story of working within the same company for so long that experience position and compensation has exceeded the academic training proven with paperwork. I can accept a quality of life set back for a better long term outlook. I need to believe there is an opportunity of that here and at this point it just looks bleak.

They are moving. In 6 months this position will not be here. I have two paths laid before me. Each has pitfalls and sacrifices. One has more promises and could have a brighter end point, the other a big unknown and a greater potential for a less than desirable outcome. My choice seems simple yet enough unknowns are present to give me pause. I will speak with my children tonight and over the weekend then HR next week.

Semper Gumby

BITS
D 30
S 27

J
OP Offline
J
Big sigh of relief, my boss and I have spoken frankly.

I have until end of month to inform HR of my decision.

The move will become effective after the beginning of next year. The next few months are preparations.

He will support me in getting more time to spend with my children and grandchildren while supporting the transition. So at least in the near term there will be some opportunities to telecommute.

As for future a local Service Manager position may become available and it looks as if a local field service engineer position is opening.

BITS
D 30
S 27

J
OP Offline
J
I’ve signed the papers and committed myself to moving across the country with the company. There are still many unknowns and things I will only be able to work out after the move.

I hope to stay local until about this time next year as my Son and DIL will be moving on at about the same time and I wish to maximize my time with them and the grandchildren. I have no plans to sell my house in Ohio and I’ll need to maintain ties here at least until the family business is sold or dissolved. Realistically that is still a few years off.

BITS
D 30
S 27

J
OP Offline
J
I see my last post was deleted during maintenance, good. I’d hit a low point after seeing X at a niece’s wedding and it was representative of someone I do not wish to be.

My grandson was born about a month ago. Ten fingers, ten toes healthy and developing as one expects. I was privileged to hold him the night of his birth and a few times since. Yesterday DIL called me as I was driving home from work and asked me if I could help watch the kids. I stopped by and fed, burped, and changed him while she attended to my granddaughter. I stayed and visited for about an hour holding him in my lap while he slept afterwards. As I was leaving DIL told me not to be a stranger. I considered asking “stranger than what”?

I’ll stop by on Saturday and see where I can be useful for a little while. I think DIL appreciates a break and speaking with an adult from time to time.

Last week was spent attending a training class at the facility in CA. My work area is still under construction and it looks as if I will not relocate until well into next year.

BITS
D 30
S 27

J
OP Offline
J
DIL had me over helping Thursday and twice on Friday, morning and evening. Then the kids disappeared over the weekend. So I spent the weekend working on a small construction project and winterizing the RV.

Draining the hot water heater tank involves removing an anode rod. I haven’t used the RV since July and was surprised that the potable water system held full pressure. I was being very careful unscrewing the anode rod as there is always a little bit of pressure from the tank contents.

It blew and I was very very surprised, wet too.

Thinking about how silly I would have appeared to anyone watching caused me to chuckle for at least the next half hour. Next year I’ll open a faucet to relieve pressure prior to isolating the tank.

A side benefit of the D is being able to find humor in these types of moments. I remember being embarrassed and expressing frustration over similar events in the years prior. This is not an isolated incident. When you’re not trying to prove to be better than the ideal, life can be more relaxing.

BITS
D 30
S 27

J
OP Offline
J
Spent a good part of Saturday visiting with DIL and playing with the grand kids. Well, playing with my granddaughter and helping care for my grandson. Saturday night I babysat both kids while S and DIL went out for a little couple time. Sunday I met them and my D for breakfast at a local chain. It was a good weekend and I am happy for the opportunity to interact.

Saturday night after S and DIL returned we visited. DIL had consumed a bit more alcohol than usual and was chatty. We had good conversations, she wasn’t ripped and slurring, she was articulate and chatty. Normally we do not discuss X, I have asked the kids to refrain from doing so when possible. DIL is frustrated with the manner she is treated by X and vented her feelings Saturday night.

I attempted to validate without joining in the rancor. It wasn’t what DIL was looking for. She wanted someone to agree with her. When it became apparent I wouldn’t the topics shifted and I made my exit as gracefully about 10 min later.

After breakfast Sunday DIL asked me to stop and visit again this week. We’re good at least I think so. I spent part of Sunday mulling what X has done to frustrate DIL and decided I am glad I am not connected to that drama. In my past life I’d have likely wasted energy attempting to pour oil on turbulent waters. Explaining each position to the other and siding with X. Even though it is apparent to me they both need to put on BGP and get on with life.

BITS
D 30
S 27

S
S
I am following your thread and taking it all in, JS. I have one tiny thing to add. When you're winterizing your RV, slowly release this little lever to bleed off the pressure in the HWT.

[img]http://cdn.loveyourrv.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pressure-relief-valve.jpg[/img]

Me:46 Her:38
My D: 11
Her S: 8

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks SP! This year I isolated the tank prior to blowing out the lines. I was running the checklist from memory and executed steps out of order. I know better. Knowing and doing are different things.

I dropped off the face of the web for a bit. My annual sojourn into the deer woods prevented me from connecting with regularity. For the uninitiated, one of my cousins and I annually bow hunt WV, and KY, then rifle hunt in KY.

WV did not occur this year as a black bear established a den in the area we have permission to hunt and the deer are finding other areas to occupy. Additionally a partially torn bicep is hindering my consistency with arrow placement, placing bow hunting on the back burner until I can improve. Never the less we still had a good productive week.

Returning home on Nov 11th I found a package for my grandchildren had been mistakenly left by the postal service. I texted DIL and she asked me to bring it by when convenient. It was convenient then.

Arriving at their home I found my S had been granted the afternoon and evening off work. We visited for a bit and after GD announced she wanted pancakes, went out for breakfast as dinner. We ended up at a local Bob Evans swapping sea stories. I sat next to GD, helped her color her menu and cut up her pancakes. I think the wait staff even enjoyed our visit.

BITS
D 30
S 27

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard