Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
OP Offline
N
Hello, all,

It's been a very long time since I last posted here in these old haunts, and more than year since I started a thread.

I am more at peace with myself with each passing day. I appreciate being single and spending time with my children and with friends. But I still do not have a positive relationship with the ex, at all. Not entirely negative, but we only seem to tolerate each other. xW continues to make jabs at me, and I have gotten good at not letting it phase me, at least outwardly. I just shrug off her occasional displays of pettiness and contempt for me and move onward. And she seems to be slowly getting the message I don't care one whit about such games anymore.

I have been struggling, however, with a very difficult employer, a big corporation that seems to work very hard to be the embodiment of every negative stereotype seen in comic strips and other media. For the last three years I have been working on various phases of a project to consolidate business units and collapse operating units into a centrally controlled structure. I've been with the employer for nearly ten years, tolerating the rising and falling tides of insanity that have pervaded this company, under the pretense of stability and a decent benefits package (though the salary itself stinks.) Basically, I put up with this for the sake of my two small boys, whom I share 50-50 legal custody of with their walk-away mother. I have been looking for other employment opportunities for years, but none have surfaced in this geographic area. Leaving my current employer would basically mean having to relocate. And having to reallocate would mean giving up on 50-50 custody -- I'd lose my kids, because xW would use this to get her wish, which is to cut me out entirely from their lives.

Well, if you couldn't guess where this is going, here it is. My employer has determined they are going to restructure my own department. In other words I've gotten my proverbial "two weeks notice". At this point I have one week from today, Nov. 3rd, and after that I am out the door, laid off. They have encouraged me to seek for and apply for new positions being offered internally to the company, but they're moving most of these jobs up north, three states away. Even our managers are being forced, eventually, to reapply for their own positions. The bottom-line is they want us to relocate to where the new regional director is now based.

Despite all the assurances that everyone would still have a seat at the end of this long merger process, the third phase of which we completed just this very Sunday, by-the-way, apparently we've been fed a line all along. I shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

I and another person in our group from another office were the first to be given the ultimatum. The other person, an older lady, has decided its time for her to retire. (I wish I could retire.) Other folks from various other departments are also sweating bullets; who's next they wonder.

So I am praying and thinking and looking hard to see if there's some chance the market here would support me. It's still pretty bleak. I was hoping in this last week to have lined something up before I had to start giving the bad news to folks, like the ex.

I haven't yet breathed a word to the ex or to my kids. Part of me feels I should, but another part of me says not yet. I know xW will likely take some drastic measures once she hears I am losing my job, like taking me back to court to sue for full custody, knowing I would no longer have the resources to defend myself. It be a cinch for her to win, especially if I have to relocate just to have an income. She still harbors so much mindless hatred for me, such that I pity her sometimes. It's so senseless, but it's there -- and I know she will take foolish measures because of it. Even if she knows how it harms our sons.

So, when do I tell her? It is a financial matter, one that will have impact on our children, at least until I can land another job and gain eligibility for insurance and other benefits again.

But on the other hand xW is not my spouse anymore either. And she never said a word to me before she up and changed jobs three years ago during the separation (and she was still legally married to me at the time even). She felt that was none of my business back then. Somehow I doubt she'll think my own business is even remotely private.

Perhaps I should wait until the last day of employment, being next Thursday, before saying anything.

Thoughts anyone?

Me: 49
WAW: 47
S11, S7
Years Married/Together: 17/18
Bomb: 6/15/07
Separation: 7/6/07
D: 4/3/09

Real love is a decision.
Marriage is a commitment.
K
kml Offline
K
Yuck. I dislike the minimal interactions I have to have with my very agreeable ex over our college age children - so I can just imagine the pit in your stomach frown

From a practical standpoint - it sounds like your only options are:

1) Take unemployment and look for a new job locally. As crappy as the economy is, that seems pretty dicey. Do you have special skills? Sounds like you've already determined the job market in your area doesn't offer much for you? Can you downsize your living expenses in any way?

2) Take a new job with your current company and move to another state. That completely [censored] for your kids - but maybe not as much as having your dad spiral down into chronic unemployment. Is there ANY remote chance the ex could move too? Or if you have to take the move, could you envision it as a temporary, one-year exodus until you can find a new job back home?

3) Take the unemployment and move in with family until you can get a new job?

I understand your hesitation to tell the ex, but you might as well get it over with. If your job has been providing the kids' health benefits, you'll probably want to work out something to COBRA your health insurance, or if she has benefit options at her work, to change them over.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'd advise going ahead and applying for jobs within the company - just because you apply, doesn't mean you HAVE to accept a position if one is offered. Just apply now, and worry about whether you would accept it later. Meanwhile beat the streets for jobs in your area.

K
K
That really bites Bill. Do you think you could free lance? Why am I thinking you did work with computers? Could you telecommute for your job? Maybe this is a good time to think outside of the box and create a job you could enjoy.

Of course you will have to tell her but you have a few more days as you take a deep breath and get your game plan in place.

Hugs, kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming. Dory
N
OP Offline
N
Hi, El, and Hi, Kat,

((((HUGS)))))

I've got 23 years experience in the IBM midrange systems development field. It's a market that IBM has not promoted well in the last dozen years or more, and has fallen off considerably. The work is usually good and steady when you can find it. IF you can find it. And in this area, the Research Triangle of NC, IBM had never really adequately pushed their midrange platform as in other areas.

For a long time now, I have needed to broaden my horizons a little more, metaphorically speaking.

I am confident that I would not have much difficulty finding work in other geographic areas while staying in this diminished IT niche. But relocation sort of defeats much of the purpose. And I have considered going back into consulting (the days for freelance have been over since the early 90's, I'm afraid, ever since the tax laws changed to make it so prohibitive.) But consulting/contracting is usually quite unstable work for someone with kids, and it often means traveling distances to serve the client's needs. Telecommuting is still the exception rather than the rule, even in IT, sadly -- employers and clients still want to keep you close at hand.

I told xW by mobile phone this morning, while the boys were occupied in another room (gotta' love Saturday morning cartoons.) She seemed outwardly composed, taking it in stride. We discussed the local market and prospects. I've got a first-step telephone interview with an HR person on Monday, for a local firm. I've also been talking with a headhunter. And I've been trying to network. We discussed insurance coverage and the like. We ended it with me telling her that I wanted things BAU with the boys until we know otherwise. I would keep her informed how things start gelling or not.

I got the facts out in front of her, and she didn't seem to have any extreme reaction, that I could tell of. That does't mean she isn't right this very second going out and taking measures out of panic or opportunity. But I can't help what she does with this beyond what I've already done anyway. (Couldn't keep her from overreacting when we were together, so it's certainly not possible now.)

All in all, after I have exhausted everything with in my power to do and made every effort with what abilities I have, it is in God's hands.

And I am extremely grateful that even though the economy is about the worst I've ever seen, at least we don't have all the extreme panic and uncertainty everyone was facing ten years ago when I was last laid off, right after 9-11! eek
<shiver>

I appreciate your words of advice and commiseration, friends. Thanks for your responses.

Me: 49
WAW: 47
S11, S7
Years Married/Together: 17/18
Bomb: 6/15/07
Separation: 7/6/07
D: 4/3/09

Real love is a decision.
Marriage is a commitment.
~
~
Hey NCB...

Knock on wood I don't have the job just yet, but I just got head hunted last week for a local job from a distant corp office.

My sitch is a bit different since I was consulting as a SAHD for the prior 8 yrs and just happened to be free and available.

So the point is, it COULD happen for you...

I'm on Monster and Linkdin and I know there's a few other pro networks that you might consider registering with. I got picked from Monster. Also, try temp agencies that deal with tech and executives. You might have to take a bit of a pay cut, but it could help you stay local and get your foot in a new door... maybe even a career shift...

I have seriously considered moving out of province and will if I have to, but I will remain where I am to keep the kids closer unless absolutely impossible. And for me, that means taking ANYTHING that can keep a paycheck coming and lets me take care of my kids...

As far as telling the ex, AFAIC it is none of her business. Well, mine is still a stbxW but never the less, it is none of her business, IMHO...

I understand it is financial so you feel you must tell her. And really, she'll probably find out anyhow. Still, your finances are now your business. The ONLY reason it should be her business is IF you are unable to maintain the 50/50 custody arrangement. Is there anything in the D decree that would suggest you need to tell her about a decrease in earnings?

Anyhow, again... my opinion is the only time I contact my W is in regards to custody arrangements that might need to be changed...

HTH

K
K
We just had a lady yesterday that came into our building that is working like 3 or 4 free lance jobs. I imagined she got laid off snd is doing what she has to so she can get by. It will be really precarious for me in a couple of years so already trying to plan ahead.

Think outside the box and see what you can make happen.

kat

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
K
K
Oh snd my brother was working for a small business fixing computers and the such. The guy decides to retire and fold the business. My brother is striking out on his own. So far so good.

Me-53(and learning!)
S24, S21, D18, D17
W
W
NCB,

Try dice.com as well. It is for technology professionals.

I'm sorry for what you are going through, but am glad that you did tell your ex. It was the right thing to do if health insurance was a consideration. It just shows that you are taking the high road and doing what is right. It is very tempting to just treat them the way that they treat us....and takes a lot of strength to just do the right thing.

Take care and good luck!!!

w8ing
C
C
I'm no legal expert. But to make a change, wouldn't she have to hire a lawyer, file a motion and then leave it up to a judge. I imagine judge's see this all the time and I doubt she'd automatically win.

As long as you are living up to what's in the agreement then the judge is unlikely to change it. That's what my attorney told me. Just do what it says and if she wants to change it the burden will be on her to prove why there has to be a change. Judges, I've been told, are very unlikely to disrupt schedules that are in place and working.

You've got unemployment coming, correct? That gives you a cushion to find someone. Moving away to me seems like a last resort.

My company is struggling and has had several layoffs. I was thinking of leaving after the last one and finding another job/career.

A guy I respect told me to go back to school and get a Masters. That'll take three or four years. In the interim, he told me to ride it out at my current company because I set my own schedule, leave anytime I need to pick up the girls and have four weeks of vacation.

I may make more elsewhere, but I'd give up the flexibility that allows me to see my daughters 86 percent of the days during the school year.

The time with them is worth more. If it goes well, in five years I'll have my masters and can pick and choose what I want to do. My girls will be 14 and 17 and really not want to hang with me anyway.

I vote tough it out and stay near them. You can chase money and opportunity later.

Me: 47, Ds 17-13, D final 6-11
http://tinyurl.com/yk4e2tz
http://tiny.cc/thread2
http://tinyurl.com/ydtphqu
http://tinyurl.com/thread4
http://tinyurl.com/3sm78k6
http://tinyurl.com/thread6
T
T
NCB,

I sent you a message from the Alt universe. I'm an IT headhunter in the NYC area. I may not have roles for you in the NC, but I can offer great tips on your resume, networking, brushing up your LinkedIn profile etc. Reach out to me and let's get your game on for a good role in NC.

---Theoden

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard