Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dbmod Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Resurrected thread--an oldie but goodie (Jamesjohn):

In this humble man's, the "Last Resort Technique" can be one of the most misunderstood, most misused, most feared, and most underutilized of all of Michele's tools.

The LRT, as I see it, isn't so much a defined set of actions, patterns, or a "plan". To me, it's more of a lifestyle, an attitude, and a state of mind.

To me, it's the infamous "Dobson letter", the one that is written and re-written at least 10 times, truly taken to heart within yourself, then torn up and never sent. If you have the right state of mind, your partner will KNOW you have set both them, and yourself, free by your words, actions, and attitudes, without ever giving them the letter.

It's when you finally take your life back, knowing that the DB techniques you've been learning and practicing are mostly for YOU and the quality of YOUR life. If you happen to draw your partner back to you, well, that's an added benefit.

It's when you are able to quit "reacting" to everything your partner does, or doesn't say or do. You begin taking the actions required to make your life situations better for YOU.

It's when you can stop letting fear guide your actions, and can open your mind up to a whole new world full of solutions to the situations you face in your daily life.

It's when "going dark" isn't merely done to prove to your partner that their life will SUCK without you, while you're hanging around for them to "wake up", to call or show up to profess their undying love for you. It's when you can use the "dark" times to work on yourself, and take a much needed break from the chaos. When you can re-center yourself UPON yourself, and not them or your relationship with them.

It's when you are no longer willing to put your life on hold while you are "waiting" for your partner to "recover" from their MLC, depression, an on-going affair, their lack of love for you, or whatever. You realize that you are in charge of your own life, that YOU are responsible for YOU, and you don't have to sit around in limbo until THEY change. You totally quite playing the "blame game". It's when you realize that you are not a "victim" to what life deals to you.

It's when the dreaded word "divorce" no longer sends your heart racing and mind reeling. After all, most of us are in a position where our relationships ain't too great right now, or could be a helluva lot better. Wouldn't you really love to "divorce" yourself from THAT relationship, and start a new one with your partner that's even better than what you could ever hope or imagine?

It's when you realize that your partner is a flesh and blood human being, that they have their own faults, doubts, demons, and fears, just the same as you. When you can begin to let go of trying to control the way they think and feel. When you learn to let them "own" their thoughts and feelings without assuming that YOU are responsible for, or have control over, those thoughts and feelings. When you can not necessarily "understand" them, but truly "accept" them.

It's when you can learn to be humble enough to admit that maybe this really ISN'T all about you, and you can stop taking all of your partner's actions and moods personally. When you can let them talk to you, vent their anger, thoughts, and feelings to you, without you feeling that it's all your fault, and that you can "fix" it, and that you can make it all better. Or that they really WANT you to make it all better. Or, that you even have the power to do that.

It's when you stop trying to "push" or "pull" your partner back into the relationship with you, and begin to "draw" them back to you. When you strive to become an irresistible magnet that no person can stop from being attracted to. Someone that makes a positive difference in the lives of everyone they touch. Someone that can make your partner feel that their lives are less joyful, less fulfilling, if they decide to spend it apart from you, to not have you near them. That you are someone that can add meaning to their lives just by knowing you. That can be an example of being the best that you can be.

It seems that thinking about the LRT can bring many negative, doom-ridden, and "final" thoughts to mind. I encourage everyone to "reframe" these thoughts, to put a positive spin on the concept, to see the actual benefits of this tool. (Or, maybe, we should have this "state of mind" FIRST instead of saving it for LAST?!)

I know that there's a lot of times I wish that I would have seen this tool in a more positive light sooner in my journey. As for me, it may be something I want to use as an "On Going Technique" instead of a "Last Resort Technique"!

Last edited by dbmod; 11/21/10 03:08 AM.

dbmod
D
dbmod Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Link purged

Last edited by Cadet; 04/01/15 07:51 AM.

dbmod
D
dbmod Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Jamesjohn is a moderator/formerly more prolific....and very wise successful DBer.-

dbmod
T
T
Thanks for posting this.

It is absolutely spot on IMO.

It clarifies the difference in using what I would call tactics which focus on the outcomes and inherently have expectations tied to them...

And actaully making real changes in yourself and letting go of someone who chooses something different than what you want at the moment.

If the tactics that we employ initially work to bring the spouse back...

Then the hard part begins. Because IMO unless the LBS has had an opportunity to work through the fear that erupts from the tragedy of being left behind then they MAY be accepting the old M back at very high cost to the M.

AND themselves.

That may bare out in the piecing part. And actually get to the goal of saving the M if both partners are comitted to looking at themselves and the M and making changes.

What is described above is the real goal of the LBS.

The long term goal.

Which can save the LBS and then God willing

The Marriage.

My goal is to some day be the person my dog thinks I am
C
C
Dbmod,

Thank you for resurrecting this. It is a very good reminder for many of us.

It is a wonderful explanation of a very confusing idea.

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
D
D
I miss jamesjohn. Do you lurk? You were a blessing 7 years ago! I love this explanation. Just what I needed to read today.

Me 48, H49, M24, S14, S11
DB #1 4/2002-8/2003
Bomb #2 August 2010 & he moved out
Living with OW
D
dbmod Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Jamesjohn is a wonderful person, dber and moderator.

dbmod
D
dbmod Offline OP
OP Offline
D
^

dbmod
C
C
Rummaging around in the basement - I found this thread.

Feel free to comment as needed.

Me-70, D37,S36
G
G
Yeah, its where I find people tend to warm to me.

I have a lot of work customers who react not so well at just me being friendly at first, then over time they warm and now some even seek you out for that daily friendly connection.

The actually will look for you to say hello even if I only wave my passing wave. I try to include every one just in case they are going thru a bad time like I was. When so many did small things to make a huge difference.

Tonight was one of those nights, had a couple of dudes come in before often odd sour short, really go out of their way to be friendly back and joke and try to make a humourous connection. This has really only started happening more and more reliably since I threw things in a heap at the L. Pretty sure the odd gossipy hound is also circling more often to pick up nuggets to drags back as well.

Two bomb outs tho yeaterday, where the people seemed upset. Not really sure 100% why but I knew they were upset, not sure what to do different next time.

M 46 h54
Both married before
T 11y
Bd 2/14 I must see where ow leads!
Ms 18 hs 26

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard