Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Flicka! Woody (the stellar sea lion) is a lazy oaf! I dont think that he moved at all the last time I was there, he was just basking in the sun. I will take my dog with my wherever I go, I have looked into apartments up there and I dont think that I will have too much trouble finding a place I can afford if I manage to land a decent job. Most likely I would leave my dog here with my parents and spend a little while staying with friends while I tried to find a place.

I would like to keep the house, I intend to do all I can to keep it. Hopefully, I can rent it out and get someone else to pay the mortgage once it becomes my responsibility. Im not sure how well I would do in a place that doesnt have an ocean, I think that thats the main reason that I havent seriously considered Fairbanks... and the whole -40 in the winter thing. I dont want to live somewhere where just going outside can kill me! I have heard some excellent things about their university, its where the major science focus is for the U of Ak system- especially the marine biology and fisheries programs, go figure, theyre thousands of miles away from the ocean. And I have some friends in Anchorage.

Im not in a super big hurry to make any choices about any of it. I would like to get some news about the grant so that I feel like I am moving forward. Maybe its a little backwards, but I want to have a job lined up before I let go of the lifeline that I have here, even though it is a pretty wimpy, skinny one with a part time job and a house thats mine, but not mine! lol. Even if I end up not being able to keep the house, Im young enough that I will have many more opportunities to buy property.

I guess I gave the wrong finger to the wrong man...
F
F
I trust your good judgment and self knowledge to get you where you need to go. I am always impressed by your practicality and steadiness.

I am infatuated with the UA at Fairbanks, though. The cold is miserable but their programs are pretty wonderful. One of my sons did a consultancy up there at the military base for a long couple of winters... my granddaughter will start school there next year, I think. She has a full scholarship so will stay in AK, because of that. {I had hoped she would venture south {to WI} and closer to me.}

You ARE young, but time flies away. I suppose the best plan is to keep self sufficient while living in a place that keeps you charged up and content. You might need to stay near the ocean to be happy. I am very in favor of designing your life and not just letting it 'happen'.

I like to look at what you write, because I think you do that, already!!

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Flicka!

I have been thinking, alot lately actually, about just leaving. After Christmas, just packing up and walking away. Maybe send H an text, maybe not. Somewhere in it I would say "Oh, your upset that I walked away from real estate? At least I didnt walk away from *You*. He would have to drop everything, and come back here from Va, and deal with his slipshod construction (in the middle of winter), and get the house put up for sale. The heat that he never got fixed, and I cant afford to, would fail, and the pipes would freeze... what a mess. smile

I am just thinking more and more, that maybe its a bad idea to try to keep it. Im confident that I could rent it out, but Im worried that it will be more trouble than its worth. And I kind of like the idea of just sort of washing my hands of the whole mess. And its becoming pretty clear to me that Im not going to be able to earn enough to stay here myself.

I think that if I went about things this way, my grounds for any kind of support would be even more shakey. (I have been told over and over that Ak doesnt do alimony) I dont know, it seems like kind of a silly way to go, I could stand to earn a lot of money from this place one day... but I just dont know. I guess Im just thinking outloud.

T
T
I think you should settle up with your X. Then, if you don't like how things are going, use 'leaving' perhaps as some leverage for more of what you want/need from him. Sounds like a hassle for him which equals value for you.

Thrd 1 Thrd 2
Me40 W39
Bomb Aug27, 07
S12
D9
B
OP Offline
B
Yeah, I know that thats the smart thing to do, but the idea of walking away just sort of makes me smile. If we can sell it, I assume that our previous agreement still stands, I will get half of the profit, and there is approx 40k of equity in the house, so thats a really nice chunk of change- I can promise you that I would take that vacation to Thailand!

I will try to really think about it this week. I want to make a choice about this before the end of the year, I think. Im positive that if I felt like I was financially stable I would be a lot more decisive about my next step.

F
F
Keep the house, Keep the house, Keep the house....

Love,
Flicka.. soon to be with kids in Wasilly.

B
OP Offline
B
Cool Flicka! Enjoy your trip! I have been looking at rental properties similar to my place, in the same area, and I think that I could get enough to make the mortgage payment as rent. And the company that sold us the house originally has agreed to manage to property.

Now, the big thing is talking to ex about it. He has said already that he doesnt want strangers living here- makes lots of sense, right? He doesnt want to live here though! crazy Although, at this point, I dont want him here either! lol. I have a feeling that he wont fight me on it though. If he agrees that I can have the house, I cant imagine why he would argue about having renters here, if its only going to be "His" house until the D is over.

I have been checking my account status at the university about 17 times a day since I resent my grant paperwork. I guess that they never received it the first time that I sent it. It should be fully processed within 3 business days, and its almost been one day. lol.

I got my grades back, and another semester of A's! Yay! I am especially proud of the review I got for my Ab. Psych projects. So its been a good semester, I really hope that next semester goes as well.

F
F
Consider shopping for a lawyer in Seattle.

Keep gunning for what you would like. You are taking care of the house... put a value on that, please. And more. You were married for awhile. Your husband still has affection and good will toward you. Keep the house, Keep the house, Keep the house.

Keep jamming at the system. I learned from YEW to do that. Do it.

At some point, I will take my own advice.
I am pretty glad to be heading for Ak for Christmas with my kids.. It is warmer than in WI.

Love,
Flicka

O
O
Yay Bluerain! Another semester of A's..yeah, like you had to even try.

"My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand." Thich Nhat Hanh
B
OP Offline
B
Aww, thanks Odog!

I am just finishing up the last bit of cookie baking (cheap alternative to real Christmas presents). Thanks goodness- Ill have to make sure to fit in some extra workout time! Because, you know, you cant resist fresh, soft, warm chewy cookie goodness!

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard