Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
I am not a subscriber to Time, but saw a copy of the July 13, 2009 issue in my office. The cover features an article entitled "Why Marriage Matters" by Caitlin Flanagan. I would highly recommend it to everyone here.

Despite the title, I expected this to be another slant on why marriage really DOESN'T matter anymore. It turned out to be anything but that.

Interesting quotes from article:

Quote:
Adultery is not about sex or romance. Ultimately, it is about how little we mean to one another.

Quote:
There is no other single force causing as much measurable hardship and human misery in this country as the collapse of marriage. It hurts children, it reduces mothers' financial security...

Fantastic read. Would love to hear some feedback from others who read it.

Last edited by givingitmyall; 07/06/09 05:43 PM.

Me 43, S11, D7
M13
Bomb 4/20/09
Current
T
T
I read it and picked up the same quotes. I particularly liked "Adultery is not about sex or romance. Ultimately, it is about how little we mean to one another." because it really summed up how I felt - You mean I mean so little to you that you want to give up everything we have and everything we built! And for THAT!!

Me 42, W 39, S8, S6, S2
M 11y, A & ILYBNILWY 11/08
Walking away from a bad situation.

My Sitch

Strength and Compassion
No Resentment
G
OP Offline
G
That was a standout line.

I also thought it VERY interesting that a reasearcher who was a single mother, apparently by choice, found, almost to her surprise, that children were better off with BOTH biological parents under the same roof. Not that many here would debate that.

Me 43, S11, D7
M13
Bomb 4/20/09
Current
G
OP Offline
G
So did anyone else read this article?

Me 43, S11, D7
M13
Bomb 4/20/09
Current
B
B
Originally Posted By: givingitmyall

I just read it on Yahoo News. Excellent article!

M: 41
W: 39
S: 11
S: 10
D: 4
1st contact w/OM: 1/19/09
EA began: 2/14/09
EA discovered: 3/1/09
I file for D 8/25/09 to protect myself
S
I read it and thought about posting about it here right away! Didn't get to the boards until now tho... wink

I really liked the quote about the different ways people have forsaken marriage: "... the financially secure are doing it by blasting apart their unions if the principals aren't having fun anymore." How true!! Who said it was gonna be "fun" the whole time??? That's why we say "for better or worse"!!

The only comment I have on the article is that it keeps giving example after example of men cheating on their wives. There's no mention anywhere about wives cheating on their husbands. I guess there are more cheating men in the news spotlight then cheating women...

Me:37/W:38
T11/M8
S12 S4 S4
Bomb 10/07
Sep 7/08-

1st Thread
2nd Thread
Current Thread
E
E
Is this in the latest issue?

"Adultery is not about sex or romance. Ultimately, it is about how little we mean to one another."
Leonard Michaels
E
E

It's a great article, finally mass media piece that doesn't discuss divorce like it's a phenomenon of nature, like getting pimples or gray hair... I liked this quote:

"Who is left to ensure that these kids grow up into estimable people once the Mark Sanfords and other marital frauds and casual sadists (fill in the blank) have jumped ship? The good among us, the ones who are willing to sacrifice the thrill of a love letter for the betterment of their children."

"Adultery is not about sex or romance. Ultimately, it is about how little we mean to one another."
Leonard Michaels
E
E
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I just read it on Yahoo News. Excellent article!

And this one was great, at the beginning of the article:
"In the e-mails exchanged between the governor and his girlfriend, they trip over themselves to praise the other's virtues. She was "special and unique," "glorious"; he was a man of emotional generosity who "brought happiness and love to my life." These two "humanitarians" were engaged not only in worshipping each other's high-mindedness but also in destroying another woman's home, hobbling her children emotionally and setting her up for humiliation of a titanic proportion."

Leonard Michaels
V
V
Wow! I read this post 2 days ago and yesterday when I went over to my house I see this issue of TIME magazine laying out on the table. But...it was opened to the Michael Jackson article instead. I still pray that my WAW reads this article and takes something from it.

Me 35
Wife 34
Two daughters 8 years and 3 years
Bomb 3/30/09
W filed 4/16/09
We met in'92 married in 2000
Divorce final
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard