Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1794142 07/03/09 06:03 PM
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So I am off work today and I turned on the TV to eat lunch and find that there is this show called Cheaters. Their website is here:

http://www.cheaters.com/

They use surveillance cameras to snoop and then confront infidelity with the betrayed person. After watching for about 5 minutes, I had to turn it off in disgust. Snooping and confronting has its place, but to make a tv show out of it is pretty depraived. And I see from their web site that they have another show coming out called Divorce Party. Ugggh!

Just looking at their web site, it seems like they are covering all aspects of making money from the heartbreak of others. PC recording/monitoring, counseling, divorce lawyers, dating service, pay per view uncensored cheater episodes and a store with cheater hats, tshirts, thongs and pantys. As Charlie Brown would say...Good Grief.

smith18 #1794147 07/03/09 06:06 PM
K
K
I realize I'm more sensitive and aware of the topic of cheating and divorce, but it sure seems like there's been an increase in that recently and more of an acceptance by a lot of people too.

I'm hoping that at some point, maybe enough of us will get disgusted, and it will return to where D is viewed differently, and more couples spend time avoiding it and not just Ding when times get tough or they get bored or whatever... Karen

Me 53
D18, S24
karen43 #1794161 07/03/09 06:41 PM
P
P
Society needs to return the STIGMA to easy divorce, and especially to adultery.

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
There must be some middle ground for what the Western world has and the extreme of the Islamic world in regards to cutting down on adultery...

http://osmoothie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/stoning.jpg

Maybe there should be ethics and honor taught in the schools.

smith18 #1794174 07/03/09 07:11 PM
P
P
Personally, I think it should be a actionable civil case -- a tort. If you think about it, it's just about the most awful thing one can do to another (short of murder), and it's certainly a violation of a contract.

A
A
Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails
Personally, I think it should be a actionable civil case -- a tort. If you think about it, it's just about the most awful thing one can do to another (short of murder), and it's certainly a violation of a contract.

I agree!

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." - William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830's.
antlers #1794870 07/05/09 02:04 PM
C
C
OK, i wouldn't put it on the same level as murder, but I would take a step beyond civil case.

I think there should be criminal and civil laws against violating someone's home in this way.

The PROBLEM is there is CONSENT from an ADULT to allow the violation to happen.

I compare this to vandalism of the home, break and enter, burglary, and the like.

I don't consider a spouse to be property, but my point is this...

a. If some creep breaks a window and enters my home, takes my DVD player and splits, they would have criminal charges against them

b..If some creep sneaks into my home through my home PC, talks himself into my wife's pants, and pressures her to leave me and she eventually does, its not an actionable offence by law

Something is wrong there...

How is violating a home, taking a DVD player, and walking away scott free any greater of a crime than violating a home, practically raping someone's wife while she's emotionally vulnerable, and then pressing her to end our union?

This is something the federal government or regional government in most "liberal minded countries" should look at.

I had read somewhere that in Italy you used to be free to even kill any man who violated your marriage like this. Clearly we are turning our noses up at something criminal here.

If someone is bullying my kid over the PC, its a criminal offence, but if I have some creep bullying my marriage and persuading my wife to leave me its ok?

I think any threat to a marriage should be a criminal act, but prompting someone to cheat is high on that ladder in particular.

I mean seriously, if I propositions someone for sex for money its a crime, but if some creep propositions my wife for sex its ok?

How is sex for money a crime but infidelity is not?

My understanding is prostitution is illegal because of the kind of scenarios it generates (pimps, drugs, violence, etc)

But doens't infidelity generate a lot of unhealthy scenarios too?

Lies, financial ruin, divorce, violence (if the men end up in a fist fight), abandoned children, homelessness, loss of employment...

I have read stories about some creep violating someone's marriage and the wife finally coming to her senses, but having to leave her JOB because HE works where she worked.

So, this guy violates their union, their home, practically rapes her, walks away and these people have to clean up the mess. They lose money from waste, have to pay for therapy, she has to quit and take a lower paying job. Their children are hurt for god knows how long.

All of this is not criminal?

Seriously...the government should take some action here.

If some creep did the equivalent damage to my HOUSE that he has done to my marriage my house would be nearly burnt to the ground.

Why is it that the government is so quick to protect physical property from damage but they ignore the emotional and financial damage infidelity does to marriages every day of the week?

Guys, this is criminal. Ask yourself if someone did this to your HOUSE in kind how much damage would be done, and how many criminal offences woudl they be charged with?

Clark_Kent #1794922 07/05/09 04:05 PM
K
K
I've watched the show here in Greece late at night at some sleezy stations... It was disgusting. I wonder if it is still on.

Guys, the OP is "INVITED" in the home they are breaking. Sorry to be the one to tell you but... that is the truth. Never heard of a happy wife/husband being FORCED to cheat by the OP.

And Kerry, in Islamic world, ONLY women are punished for adultery, and they punish them with death penalties even when they are raped...
K

Me&H:42
S11&D10
Bomb 5/2007-Sep 11/2007
Reconc.November 2009
Kalni #1794930 07/05/09 04:35 PM
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I agree that the OP is invited and is only half of the crime.

Kalni, you are correct about the Islamic world being very unfair for women. There probably are not a lot of Muslem guys on this forum.

Kalni #1794938 07/05/09 05:28 PM
C
C
Originally Posted By: Kalni

Guys, the OP is "INVITED" in the home they are breaking. Sorry to be the one to tell you but... that is the truth. Never heard of a happy wife/husband being FORCED to cheat by the OP.

Happy wife's and husbands cheat too...the rate is LESS OFTEN but they fall prey to the temptation of unsavoury creeps just like unhappy people do.

BEING tempted AND accepting temptation is the problem.

I realise this is partly why its not a criminal offence, but prostitutes tempt men into sex too...there are influences in this world that drive people to do foolish thing :

Drink, Smoke, Cheat, Gamble, etc.

This notion that people are rational ALL THE TIME and that they always make CONSCIOUS decisions should be omitted in some cases...people plead for temporary insanity in court murder trials ... why not in infidelity cases?

I would suggest that the unfaithful spouse merely has to prove they were vulnerable and not capable of making healthy choices for themselves...

The OP is usually the designated driver who decided they should both get drunk and hop in the car rather than taking the person HOME SAFE to their SPOUSE.

I am not suggesting anyone is FORCED to cheat, that word was never used above at all.

My argument is that they are VULNERABLE and the OP exploits that vulnerability.

EVERY WOMAN who has had an affair on this board I have read is very quick to point out how emotionally vulnerable they were when the OP showed up.

Ask whatdidido or others, they will confirm that. Some of them may even advocate criminal charges brought against their OP.

Children are vulnerable, thats why they are protected by law. They aren't expected to make healthy choices for themselves.

But what about adults? When someone's mother dies or their father, or they have a miscarriage or lose their job are they not vulnerable too? Having a creep show up and tempt you into an affair at a troubled time like that is horrible..and in my mind criminal.

Forced? No...exploited?

Definitely

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard