Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Yeah, so at least you've got the short term marriage thing working for you. So you won't have to endure perpetual alimony, no matter the final permantent amount.

Keep your chin up.

My thread, Carpe Diem #4
Orig Thread: Carpe Diem #1
S
OP Offline
S
Hey there Tech,
Do you really think so?

T
T
Well, every state is different. Heck I hear that things can vary judge by judge.

But it's my understanding that there is a general 'line' at a 10 year marriage. If you've been married more then 10 years, you may be on the hook for perpetual alimony. But shorter marriages often get alimony that only goes for something like 5 years.

That's what I hear, but I'm no expert by any means. Plus, I've been married for 17 years, so I haven't done a lot of research into the short marriage thing as it doesn't apply to me.

My thread, Carpe Diem #4
S
OP Offline
S
yeah my attorney seems to think it could be a short term thing. We'll have to see though. They're out for blood so I don't really know...

S
OP Offline
S
I checked with my attorney today and he advised me that I can change my locks.

T
T
Are you feeling like you need to change them?

My thread, Carpe Diem #4
S
OP Offline
S
well here's the thing. She will randomly come home and take things from the house. She left me with no silverware or anything.

T
T
Ah yes. My wife did some of that, but thankfully she only took things that were clearly hers for the most part. But it's still kind of freaky. I'd start looking around every time I came home.

But I would think carefully about the right response to this. Changing the locks is a somewhat provocative act. I could easily see her dad freaking out, for example.

There could be an option to try and use this as a way to establish some degree of contact with your W. I managed to convince my W that I would help her move stuff out. Now, perhaps your W wouldn't go for that. But perhaps you could convince her to at least setup a time with you when she could come over and you would agree to vacate the house at that time. At least this would generate a series of email exchanges.

Of course, she just might not answer. But at least then you would have tried and she would likely be less surprised when she came over one day and locks were changed (because she refused to be civil and work with you on what is obviously a reasonable request).

Just a thought.

My thread, Carpe Diem #4
M
M
Hi seaglass, I will think on this issue. I would agree not to change the locks, unless she takes things that are clearly yours.

Question for you - what - would be or would have been your normal response to this?

Me39, XH45
Kids 3 dogs, 2 cats
Divorced 6/4/09
Tricky thing is not how you live, but how you live with yourself. (POTC)
T
T
Seaglass, where art thou?

My thread, Carpe Diem #4
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard