Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#1626878 10/22/08 05:29 AM
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I name this one because my girl friend mentioned today that I was the most chivalrous man she has met. Maybe she has met a lot of bad men in her life as I never thought too much of chivalry. I had heard that chivalry in men was murdered in its sleep by modern feminism.

I looked up the seven knightly virtues of the modern code of chivalry:

1. Courage
    More than bravado or bluster, today's knight in shining armor must have the courage of the heart necessary to undertake tasks which are difficult, tedious or unglamorous, and to graciously accept the sacrifices involved.
  2. Justice
    A knight in shining armor holds him- or herself to the highest standard of behavior, and knows that "fudging" on the little rules weakens the fabric of society for everyone.
  3. Mercy
    Words and attitudes can be painful weapons in the modern world, which is why a knight in shining armor exercises mercy in his or her dealings with others, creating a sense of peace and community, rather than engendering hostility and antagonism.
  4. Generosity
    Sharing what's valuable in life means not just giving away material goods, but also time, attention, wisdom and energy - the things that create a strong, rich and diverse community.
  5. Faith
    In the code of chivalry, "faith" means trust and integrity, and a knight in shining armor is always faithful to his or her promises, no matter how big or small they may be.
  6. Nobility
    Although this word is sometimes confused with "entitlement" or "snobbishness" in the code of chivalry it conveys the importance of upholding one's convictions at all times, especially when no one else is watching.
  7. Hope
    More than just a safety net in times of tragedy, hope is present every day in a modern knight's positive outlook and cheerful demeanor - the shining armor that shields him or her, and inspires people all around.

Each of these concepts is important in itself, and every one of these virtues is an admirable quality, but when all of them blend together in one person, we discover the value, and power, of chivalry today. Modern-day knights should strive to keep these virtues alive in their own hearts, but, perhaps more importantly, they should work to bring these wonderful qualities out in the people they see every day - at home, in the office, at school or on the street corner. A person who lives by the code of chivalry in today's world allows everyone to see their best qualities reflected in his or her shining armor.

And everyone, men and women included, can and should strive to be that knight in shining honor who live their life to a code of chivalry or creed.

Below is my list of threads...
  1. WAW - We are in a "Hang Loose" mode for now
  2. I am hopeful and will ride this out
  3. If you love them, set them free...
  4. Cadillac - Good car to drive after a war
  5. One Piece at a Time
  6. Molon labe / Never Surrender / NUTS!
  7. Go Beavers!
  8. Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse!
  9. Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  10. Do Your Best
  11. A Little Too Late
  12. Gopher Stuck in Beaver Trap

S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
When I picked up D6 today, she told me that the new house she lives in with mommy and E.D. has a movie theater inside it with 3 rows of seats. I hope the alimony I am going to pay can help purchase some good movies for them.

S8 is now doing private ukulele lessons on Tuesdays as the intructor thought he was a bit ahead of the group class. This should be double what I was paying before, but he likes music a lot, so it should be worth it. When he got home today, he asked me, "dad, what can I do?". I mentioned that he could practice his piano and he went running in to his room to do it. He really loves practicing piano and I dont ever have to push him.

I went out to a chinese/korean/japanese buffet with my kids, G40, her D4, her neice (9) and nephew (13). Her D4 and my D6 get rather energetic around each other.

E
E
First, for me a drink there bartender. I'll take Firefly iced tea, keep em coming and when my eyes roll back in my head either call the ambulance or a taxi please..

Kerry..you are top notch. I can see why your girlfriend sees that in you. I think it's great the way you handle all this. You always seem on an even keel.

You're kids seem centered in all the chaos that is divorce/separation. That is a good thing. It shows you're doing a good job.

You're a good role model here Kerry..for me especailly. I apprecaite you.

Any new fishing adventures coming up soon??

W
W
Kerry,

I love your outlook on life. Thank you for the smile today partner. I needed it

K
K
Hello Kerry,

Nice to see that Chivalry is not Dead! Good manners, respect, caring - these are wonderful traits and anyone who did not appreciate those traits and have a few of them as well - need not apply in my books. Her comment speaks loudly of you and also of her values.

Your son's talent is to be encouraged and potential is something worth investing in. I'm glad to see that you recognize that. My daughter's BF's dad has a house with a movie theater in it as well. And it is a big deal for the kids. Hard not to be a bit envious no doubt. But be glad for your children. I know if it was me I'd spit, but I'd get over it too.

You are sounding great! Cheers to you!

Kensgirl

R
R
Kerry,

The movie theater will be cool for the kids and hopefully it can get your L to drastically reduce what you will end up paying STBX.

She's a bit of a peach, for sure.

The good news is your kids are doing well and as Mike said, that is a testament to how you've handled things. Good for you, my friend.

I also really like the chivalry thing. Printed it out. Thanks.

RTL

M:38; D: 6
Divorce Final: 10/6/08

G
G
Kerry..

Modern times demand an eighth addition to Chivalry.

Honor thy inner Gopher...

Hmmm.. maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

*hugs*

Gypsy #1628600 10/23/08 06:43 PM
S
smith18 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks all for stopping in and the comments.

No fishing adventures other than to cook some Orange Roughy tonight for G40 who has never tried that delicious fish. She is making Vietnamese spring rolls for me and we are going to try the fish in the rolls.

D6 apparently said to W that she would like to go trick or treating with G40's D4. W talked to me and said to go ahead and do that instead of both of us taking the kids out. She was saying my first name a lot nervously and even offered to babysit if G40 and I ever wanted to go out. When I put my cell phone back in its case, it dialed W back accidently and turned on its speaker. I told her that it dialed on its own and she responded with "yeah right, wrong girl". I get the feeling she might be having a hard time with me dating now.

Last night at my golf lesson, my instructor took me into their demo center to get capability measurments of swinging of my wedges, 9 and 8 irons. They had multiple dopler radar computers that measure all kinds of neat data (distance, trajectory, ball spin and axis, etc...). Very cool technology! At the end, he set the computer up to have a simulated hole at 95 yards (pitching wedge) for me. I swung and got within 5 feet! I cant wait until next weeks lesson to get measurements on the use of my longer irons.

W
W

Kerry,

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you. I was sitting here reflecting on the past year and I pulled up my first thread. Turns out you were the second person who posted to my thread and had some great advice and support. Almost a year later you are doing the same thing.

The next time I get to Portland, dinner is on me at your favorite place.

Thank you

E
E
Quote:
Last night at my golf lesson, my instructor took me into their demo center to get capability measurments of swinging of my wedges, 9 and 8 irons. They had multiple dopler radar computers that measure all kinds of neat data (distance, trajectory, ball spin and axis, etc...). Very cool technology! At the end, he set the computer up to have a simulated hole at 95 yards (pitching wedge) for me. I swung and got within 5 feet! I cant wait until next weeks lesson to get measurements on the use of my longer irons.

This is the kind of drama I like..Cool stuff man..Nothing like technology combined with something you love to do..I love golf..it's such a good time..

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard