Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
T
theoden Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Friends,

Just curious to see what movies have been inspiring, informative, enlightening, eye-opening, or frightening to you along the themes of saving a marriage, getting a life, finding yourself, mid-life crisis, infidelity, affairs or divorce.

Please name the movie and how it helped or, perhaps, informed you. What insight did it offer? The movie doesn't have to have a "happy ending". Listing a movie doesn't mean you necessarily endorse the message or agree with what the characters did. We are here to learn.

I recently saw Meet Bill, which was about a man who was in a boring job, sleepwalking through life, who discovered his wife was having an affair. He "got a life", so to speak, in an attempt to attract her back, but I won't spoil the picture for you.

I think Before Sunset gives us an insight into old flames re-connecting. It's painful to watch, because, before the "bomb" I almost rooted for the star-crossed couple, even though the man was married. Things are different now.

--Theoden

Last edited by theoden; 08/27/08 04:01 PM.

P
P
I thought "Same Time Next Year," with Alan Alda and Ellyn Burstyn (I think?) was a great, albeit immoral, movie. I love how Alda's character always says "OK, so I didn't think things thru . . . "

"Unfaithful" is another one that comes to mind.

Puppy

G
G
"Little Children" (with Kate Winslet and Patrick Wilson) is a good one, IMO. Two S'es from separate M's, feeling unfulfilled, turn to one another.....a must-see ending.

Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward. ~ Joseph Campbell
M
M
Full Metal Jacket?????

Me: 44
S: 17 and 7
Final-6-13-08
I once went to a psychic who told me I would soon feel cheated......
K
K
Thanks Theoden! I put that one in my netflix queue--it sounds good!!! Don't know if I would call it transforming, but it was a movie that seemed like it was exactly going through what I was at the time called "Forgetting Sarah Marshall". I saw it too close to our separation so was tough to watch, but believe it or not it's a comedy about a guy that gets dumped after an LTR. He goes through some of what I did, but it's kind of raunchy, to appeal to guys maybe more? But some of it was really funny and kind of weird too. I just wouldn't recommend seeing it until you've been DBing for a little while though maybe? \:\) Karen

Me 53
D18, S24
Y
Y
"Premonition" with Sandra Bullock was a surprise for me. I thought it was just a suspenseful thriller. I was wrong, it was more about adultery, or maybe that was the main part to me. To a person who has not been betrayed that may not be the main thing that gets them to thinking. It sure makes you stop and think at the end. It really gives you some question to ask of yourself.

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
-- Bernice Johnson Reagon

N
N
I suggest "The Painted Veil" (2006) with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton. It's about a British medical doctor whose wife is unfaithful to him.

And I too recommend "Premonition".

Me: 49
WAW: 47
S11, S7
Years Married/Together: 17/18
Bomb: 6/15/07
Separation: 7/6/07
D: 4/3/09

Real love is a decision.
Marriage is a commitment.
H
H
"The Four Seasons," 1981, Alan Alda's directorial debut. Three couples vacation together over the years; one husband has a mlc, dumps his wife, assumes he'll remain part of the group....

I saw this a long time ago, haven't thought about it for years. MLC 80's style.

M60
H52
D20
M14 yrs
OW-old gf from 1986
bomb-5/18/08
H filed for D-9/10/08
D final 4/24/09
xH remarried (not OW) 2012
Y
Y
I know this thread is about movies, but have any of you ever seen the sitcom "Reba",the one with Reba McEntire? Her husband leaves her for his dental assistant and moves next door to her. Not only does she have to put up with her exH, but also his ditzy obnoxious wife. Now, that would be a nightmare!

Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.
-- Bernice Johnson Reagon

S
S
Like Yoyo, I know this is meant to be about movies....but H and I went to see the play Aspects of Love as an anniversary celebration two years post H's A.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - we didn't know anything about it apart from the cast was good. For those that don't know the story basically everyone sleeps with everyone else, (including women with women) - father and son sharing a lover - yuck. H just gradually sunk lower and lower in his chair in shame; it was a most uncomfortable anniversary celebration. If H had never had an A, then I am sure we would have thoroughly enjoyed the play.

Saffie
me 46
H 46
M in 1986
D20,D18,S16,D13
H's A 01/05 to 07/06
H recommitted to M 07/06
renewed vows 09/06
Going from strength to strength
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard