Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#1568299 08/23/08 01:17 PM
OP Offline
"It's a Perfect Day, nothing standing in my way
It's a Perfect Day, nothing can go wrong"

I love that song from Legally Blonde. I'm using it for the theme at our dance school this year.

Today is shaping up to be a PERFECT DAY!!! I love it!!!

I moved nearly 3 years ago to a smaller house with a beautiful backyard. It is huge but very manicured (I get someone else to do most of it since I'm away). The back gate opens onto a park with a trail, beach volleyball, baseball, playground, pond for ducks and skating, toboggan hills etc. When my daughter first saw the yard she said it would be the perfect setting for a wedding. And I agree. But it is also perfect for our family reunion that was being held every year in a park that was slowly being taken over by some ethnic groups despite the fact we held a permit. We tried to oblige but when we couldn't even talk for the noise - we had to make a change. And my yard seemed perfect. So...

2 years ago the first reunion was held here. At precisely 2 PM (start time) the heavens opened and it poured harder than I ever remember. The only thing we could do was invite everyone in (all 40 or so) and try to make it work. I just remember suddenly throwing down beach towels by the door and a ton of wet shoes. This house is smaller than the last one but we managed. Set up the food in the front hall and everyone ate wherever they could find room. The teens all took to the family room and played Guitar Hero and Wii. And our extended family bonded like never before. We HAD to. So I agreed to do it again.

Last year started out good, though we kept our eyes on the clouds. Just as we started to put food onto our plates - it happened again. It rained very hard. And inside we ran. My house gets a really good workout on these occasions despite the fact everyone was great about cleaning up and even chipped in to pay for a maid.

But today is looking better. I touched up the yard last night and set the tables out. It is potluck so I need to make a bit of food. I do leave most of it for others since I provide some of the extras like coffee etc. There is only 10% chance of rain today. I don't want that 10% to fall between 2 and 8 if I can help it. Truly - I think it will be the Perfect Day.

So, I got motivated to clean up the dining room. A dreaded task. Not often we use it as it is quite formal, but the view is wonderful and the lighting is great so I do my crafts in there. And I'm a wanderer. I wander from one project to the next and I don't put my things away since I'm an "outie". I like to SEE everything on my desk and table to know where it is. Suffice to say that when I have to clean up - it's a big job. Most of the time I close the french doors and I even put lace curtains on the doors to help hide the mess that I love so much.

But things are shaping up. Some more tidying to do. A bit of packing since I'll head out of town again tommorrow. Today I want to just enjoy my family and the great summer sun.

So, what do YOU have planned on this Perfect Day???? What are YOU doing since you've moved forward or are in the process? Life goes on after our marriages end. And there are Perfect Days ahead.

Wishing you all a Perfect Day.

love Barb

Sounds wonderful, Barb!!!

My day is planned also. I'm going to lunch and a movie with a couple of GFs and then meeting my bro, SIL and MG for dinner. The sun is shining, the weather's perfect and all is good in Jillville. Tomorrow, kayaking with some friends so hopefully the weather will remain perfect!!!

Have fun today.

qoe100 #1568327 08/23/08 02:00 PM
OP Offline
Good morning Jill!

That sounds wonderful! I'm so glad that you, too, are planning a Perfect Day in Jillville. Kayaking is wonderful exercise. Some days I see kayakers out on my lake. I own a canoe but not a kayak. My son, Brandon is picking up a friend from the airport today then he and 2 other friends will take him to the cottage for the w/e. All 4 have had great times there in the past and although we will miss him at the reunion, I gave him a "no guilt" pass as this was an excellent opportunity. He emailed me yesterday all excited about it - you'd think he hadn't been to the cottage in years (he was there with Josh and I 2 weeks ago - LOL!). But I'm happy for him.

Ashley LOVES the family reunion and always looks forward to it and helps out. She had a chance to go to the beach today and was torn. Asked if she got everything ready the night before - could she go to the beach early then come home by 3. With a crummy summer as it has been up till now, how could I say no? Besides with her finally out with a group of friends instead of depressing BF - this is good for her. So they've left already but I know she'll be back to join in the fun.

Are you going to see the Sisterhood of the travelling pants? I was supposed to go yesterday with my GF but she needed to wait by the phone (more on that later). Or are you going to see House Bunny? Both look like good chickflicks.

Barb

OP Offline
PS Jilly Bean - you're slipping. You didn't ask for a drink.I made Mimosas - perfect drink for a perfect day.

Barb

Crimany, I am slipping!!!

Don't know what movie we're seeing. Left the decision up to the others. I'll just do whatever they tell me cuz that's the kinda girl I am!!!

Mimosa sounds perfect!!!!

qoe100 #1568429 08/23/08 03:39 PM
Well I for one would never pass up a mimosa! So give me one and then hit me again!

Barb,

The reunios sounds as if it will be wonderful. Nothing like having family around to make us feel loved. I hope the weather stay as nice as it is now with not a cloud in the sky! Please say hello to Leenie for me...........

Love,
Bethie

BethM #1568437 08/23/08 04:01 PM
OP Offline
Mimosas all around. Just changed my mind and decided to do a large potato salad and lots of devilled eggs. Now I'm way behind - didn't even shower but who cares. I LOVE FAMILY!

I will certainly say hi to Leenie, Beth. She really likes all of you so much and we're gonna do that get together - you know it. How about 2nd or 3rd w/e in Sept? Beth? Jill? What do you say?

Barb

I hope your gathering was the best and it stayed dry.
I am sure even the weather wouldn't have spoiled the day.

naej #1569001 08/24/08 02:22 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Naej - It was wonderful!

OK, so it WAS the perfect day! We had the party outside and many stayed until dark and skeeters came out to bite us. I always worry that there won't be enough shade (I have a few trees that get larger each year but there could be more). My BIL showed up with a huge sun shelter. He promised to bring another one next year. That was such a help.

I can honestly say that having over 40 people (I think I counted 42) for dinner was NOT a bother at all. Yes, as we went to put the food out there were always lots of people looking for plates, cutlery, serving spoons - stuff they forgot, but I was well prepared for that.

Even got to go for a nice walk around the park with my cousin's wife who is like a dear friend - right in the midst of it all. Was surprised that we had several guests (2 families) from Calgary (3.5 hours away by plane) but they were down for a family wedding last week - nice surprise!

Everyone pitched in. Everyone brought great food. It was such a nice party. And now my house is clean though the yard needs a bit of a tidy though not too much.

And today I'm off to Toronto to celebrate the birthdays of Josh's sister and niece. Josh left the niece shopping until I get there. I have a better idea how to buy for a 4 year old girl than he does. He has a special toy store in mind. This will be fun!

Josh called last night and told me he had bought me something special. Now don't get too excited - he did mention that it was liquid. And something I really liked. So I'm sure it is a bottle of wine but who knows. Still, that made me feel good.

Well, better shower and pack. Seems I do this every week from one location to another. I'm excited to be going back to the cottage tommorrow. I will spend the week working on my stripping techniques. (wallpaper that is). I hope to get at least one wall papered before I have to come home for work. And the plumber comes on Tuesday and I do believe I will have a working sink once more. I have been a month without it and have been getting used to a bowl of water and a bottle of Purell.

Today is cloudy but not raining (YEAH!). Even if it does rain -I will make today a Perfect Day once again. Because it truly is - all in the attitude.

Cheers Friends. Wishing you a Perfect Day too!

Love Barb

L
L
Quote:
Because it truly is - all in the attitude.

And life is sooo much better that way. \:\) Glad it was a great time!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard