Underdog #794502 09/21/06 10:20 AM
K
koshka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Betsey,
Quote:

Okay, so how is the kitty?

I blamed another kitty, one who's quite aggressive with certain other members of the pride, for the attack on PP. But when we got the fur shaved to see the wound, the vet said, "Snakebite."

Proabably a copperhead in these parts, given the swelling around the wound site. She's lucky she obviously didn't get a full dose of venom or she'd be a goner.

I brought her home and got her settled in the basement. I gave her her meds (one injected in her mouth, and one pill). When the kids got home I told them about it, and I went to a Freshmen Parents' Information Night at S14's school. No XW, but I didn't expect her, since the kids are home.

S14 is doing much, much better now than he did his last year and a half in his first school. His teachers say he can do even better, and in more strenuous courses, but I'll wait till he has most of this year under his belt before I suggest more Honors courses to him.

This morning PP fought against her meds. While I was trying to get the pill into her, she struggled until one of the punctures started to spout blood. She made a mess of my clothes (not work clothes, thankfully), the basement kitchen floor, and her fur. So she's confined to a bathroom with her food/water/litterbox for now so she won't trash the furniture I do have down there. None of it's new, but it's functional and can be made nice again when the D bills are all out of the way.

One more day with my rental van, since the parts for my car came in after noon yesterday and there wasn't time to complete the work.

Off to the kids' C, to the bank, to work, hi ho, hi ho!

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
More importantly, Light A Million Candles
koshka #794503 09/21/06 01:42 PM
K
kml Offline
K
The Strong One in newcomer's is in vet school, maybe she'll have some tips for giving the meds? I know with my dog, the only way to get pills in her is to hide them in some really tasty food (and even then she sometimes manages to find and spit out the capsule!).

Ellie

kml #794504 09/21/06 04:16 PM
F
F
Hey there Joe,

Sounds like you're still busy-busy. Good talking to you the other day - much appreciated.

That's one brave kitty to be taking on a copperhead, but could I expect anything less than bravery from a member of your valiant household?

Ok, ok, so I'm laying it on a bit thick there...

Have a great day, Joe. Don't forget to pack the grapes and strawberries for the commute in that rental.

Gabe

God heals the broken-hearted (Psalm 147:3)

Me: 44
W: 40
Separated 8/2011

S12
SD14
SS12
SD10
koshka #794505 09/22/06 12:24 AM
K
koshka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Ellie,
Quote:

The Strong One in newcomer's is in vet school, maybe she'll have some tips for giving the meds?

I found her thread from a couple days ago, but it's locked up. Her H sounds familiar, though. I guess it wouldn't have been possible to commute between MD and MI with sex change operation en-route for all these years, so maybe he's not XW after all.

Gabe,
Quote:

Ok, ok, so I'm laying it on a bit thick there...

Still gunnin' for my last beer, are ya?

Yeah, it was a good chat the other day. I'm still waiting to hear on how I can or can't use that voucher, so I haven't booked any flights yet.

Update:

I may not wait till Sunday for that beer.

Meetings two nights at different schools, phone calls with two teachers and a counselor, email to/from another teacher, working with the insurance company to get my premium back down, another emergency vet visit, two days driving a rental while my car is in the shop, working with the bank to get through the next several weeks and I'm ready for a beer now. But it's too late to drink a whole beer, so it'll still have to wait.

Happy Friday Eve to you all, and to all a Good Night!

Joe

My sitch
koshka #794506 09/22/06 11:13 AM
A
A
Hey Joe I'm trying to get caught up on threads. Sorry about your kitty and your car. I hope your weekend is wonderful and enjoy that beer. I may have one or two with you

~April I'm not with stupid anymore. Dimples
koshka #794507 09/24/06 10:23 PM
K
koshka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
April,

Cars! Who needs 'em?

Thanks for dropping in. I probably should post an update, but the sky looks really neat and I have an open beer wagging its tail and asking to go outside, so...

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
koshka #794508 09/24/06 10:39 PM
A
A
Quote:

Cars! Who needs 'em?

Well, I do! I live in the middle of nowhere!

~April I'm not with stupid anymore. Dimples
Aprilsm4 #794509 09/24/06 10:51 PM
Joe,

Thanks for your message! Was at D12's volleyball tourney. Maybe we can catch up this week?

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
koshka #794510 09/26/06 12:58 AM
K
koshka Offline OP
OP Offline
K
April,
Quote:

I live in the middle of nowhere!

Oh, how can it be nowhere with you there?

Betsey,
Quote:

Maybe we can catch up this week?

I got your email. Keep me posted, 'kay?

Well, this past weekend we had a lot of fun on the trampoline. I've been working on my flip (S7 can flip and land on his feet!) and I'm getting better. S14 is also working on his, and he's not as good as S7, but probably as good as I am. I can almost get my feet under me. But the a few times yesterday I came down on my neck, and it was very sore today. I'm glad I keep asprin in my desk.

D11 starts rehearsals tomorrow for her next play, "The Littlest Angel." She got the news on Friday that she hadn't made the volleyball team, but she did not seem disappointed about it. Maybe she just enjoys meeting the other kids outside the classroom?

S7 spent both weekend nights in my bed. He fell asleep when we were reading on Friday, so I let him stay. On Saturday he took me to his room to listen for the "strange noises." I think S14 has been regaling him with stories of coyotes (which have been sighted in the county, but probably don't spend a lot of time hanging around our house with the dogs outside all day).

Saturday night after the trampoline festivities during the day we went to a restaurant to "celebrate" good interim reports from S14's and D11's schools. (S7 doesn't get interim reports in elementary.) Then we came back and the kids picked a movie. OK, S7 picked a Star Wars movie. I had to remind D11 that she picked "Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron (sp?)" last time. I broke open my beer on Saturday night instead of waiting.

I wrote a summary of the school meetings and the convos with teachers from the past week to give to XW yesterday. For the first time in a while, she didn't show up early. Maybe 'cause it was raining so she wouldn't enjoy walking around the yard? Anyway, I included school pictures of each of the boys, since once again she did not order any pictures. I told her (in my write up) that I expected D11 would get her pictures this week, and I wanted her (XW) to forward them to me, since I paid for them.

I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't yet ready to speak to XW directly about the kids' stuff, but I'm glad that writing it let me communicate while I wasn't caught up in anger, frustration, etc. I'm a work in progress, after all.

I worked a long day today, but I've decided I won't kill myself trying to make up all the time I missed last week, never mind the time I've missed this month. I'd be a wreck when the kids got home, which is not a good time to plan on resting anyway.

This raising a family thing really is a job for two. I think of the meals we rush through when I get home, the kids here alone for a couple hours before that, S14 watching his sibs while I go to meetings at the school. I know we'll get by, but I wanted so much for my kids to have something better than this.

I'm working my way very slowly through "Reaching Out" by Nouwen. I must be in a good place now to get some of these ideas, because they're ringing true, even familiar, and applicable to my own life. Michele, there's something he wrote in there about competition that brought your golf tournament to mind. I'll try to post the excerpt.

Thanks,

Joe

My sitch
koshka #794511 09/26/06 03:09 AM
Hi Joe,

Will do!

Wow, I'm impressed--you can do flips on the trampoline? I'd be scared to death I'd break my neck--so you get big brownie points for acting like a teenager.

Quote:

For the first time in a while, she didn't show up early. Maybe 'cause it was raining so she wouldn't enjoy walking around the yard?

LOL, this made me laugh--and probably because you're right!

As far as communicating in the written word goes, Joe, if this works for you, celebrate that. I know people who can't even write civilly, so at least you know you can communicate differently without feeling as though you keep entering and losing bar fights. I swear to you that I'd find it difficult to fight with your XW the way you have to do. It would wear me out.

Sorry to hear that D11 didn't make the v-ball team, but I'm relieved to hear that she took it well. Perhaps her reasons for joining are exactly as you called it? Then you know that this is something important to her.

We've got foxes in our hood and used to have coyotes until last year when the development nearby ran them out. I actually liked hearing their call, but I also know that I wouldn't want Mocha to be coyote food for them either. I've heard a few horror stories from neighbors which do give me reason to respect them. But with all your recent critter happenings, I bet you could use a break from the action.

Time to write back on my own thread and head to bed. My fanstasy team lost tonight and I'm depressed.

Ciao for now,

Betsey

"There are only 2 ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Albert Einstein
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard