Divorcebusting.com
A bonus quote ...
Originally Posted by from Monstrous Regiment
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it.

Prior thread
"People see what they think is there."
https://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2936688&page=1
Not a lot happening in the Land of P these days.

I'm working from home today. I woke up with my alarm at 5:00 feeling a bit nauseous. After giving it some thought I sent an email in to the plant and went back to bed after having a few glasses of water. That started me sweating quite seriously - there are days that I think it's good I live alone wink . I suspect that with the high heat levels we've had here for the past number of days that I'd managed to get myself dehydrated. Still feel tired but the nausea is gone.

I do have a "window shaker" air conditioner that belongs to my son in a closet somewhere but would rather not install it. It's a production to do that and have it perform with any efficiency. I've waffled about getting one of the "portable" units and maybe it's time to do that and just cool the bedroom. I hate to spend that kind of money though on something I'll use just a few days of the year.

---

Had a laugh yesterday. I bumped into my friend and neighbour "P" while I was out and about and mentioned getting home to do my Sunday baking. She commented that she likes baking too but that her bread tends to come out as flat as her chest but with lots of flavour. I laughed and pointed out that I was "not" going to follow down the path of that analogy.

I've seen a fair bit of my friend "C" lately as well. She's been helping out at the brewery lately and so I popped in both Saturday and Sunday for a draft. Her friend who own the brewery had made a point of telling me that she would be there on Saturday when I popped in on Friday after work for my weekly 12. And when I popped in on Saturday "C" made sure to let me know she would be there Sunday. She was - of course - busy working but we did chat a small amount. It was nice to catch up. She still has an over-full plate of stuff going on which I think is par for the course for her.

Still not feeling any sort of nudge towards dating. Perhaps it's lethargy but putting in the effort just isn't something that I have any sort of interest in right now.

Work continues to grind along with me getting pulled deeper into this corporate project that I'd rather not be involved in - which in part is why I'm wasting my time here today. I have a conference call this afternoon and will have to be physically in the corporate office to meet with the sales management from our other division next week. The last time I was in that office was in March of 2020. We've had a fair amount of turnover lately and it will be nice to see some familiar faces and meet the new ones. Will be weird to ride the subway again - I checked and my transit pass still has a fair sized balance on it. I have to update my parking pass though I think.

Been playing with my security cameras (Wyze Pan-Cam) a bit lately. I think I've finally figured out how to make them completely independent of the manufacturer's web services. It's been fun to "get my nerd on". One of the current projects on my plate is replacing the security and surveillance systems at the plant and while we will absolutely going with a third party installer it's nice to explore what options are out there that I can have in my back pocket for emergencies.

TL/DR; - blah de blah de blah
Originally Posted by Andrew
Had a laugh yesterday. I bumped into my friend and neighbour "P" while I was out and about and mentioned getting home to do my Sunday baking. She commented that she likes baking too but that her bread tends to come out as flat as her chest but with lots of flavor. I laughed and pointed out that I was "not" going to follow down the path of that analogy.
lol--sounds like she's flirting with you.

Still not feeling any sort of nudge towards dating. Perhaps it's lethargy but putting in the effort just isn't something that I have any sort of interest in right now.
I hear you. While I have a GF, I feel very little interest just now in "dates". There will be a season for that--maybe sparked by a good conversation or a sexy dress or someone flat-chested who brings lots of flavor. wink
Lol - I don't think most women would flirt by pointing out their flat chest, but who knows?

As for the nausea - likely just the heat, but don't forget that nausea can be a cardiac symptom too - don't ignore it if it persists or recurs.
Hello Andrew

A portable air conditioning unit is a good investment. And you are worth it!

Installing the exhaust vent is much easier than a window shaker. Especially on higher than ground floor, which I suspect your bedroom would be.

And it’s portable. So, if hot Andrew has to, err… I mean hot like temperature, you know warm, lol, so if Andrew has to work at home he could wheel this unit to his office to cool it for the day. Or movie watching, or whatever.

I hauled one around with me when travelling for work and staying at a place with no air conditioning. It worked for many years and I finally gave it away when I got a position close enough to home that I could just commute.

Good luck with the corporate meeting and project next week.

D
Originally Posted by kml
Lol - I don't think most women would flirt by pointing out their flat chest, but who knows?
She's pretty self aware I think and while she does have nice curves, they are modestly sized. I think she mentioned once that she weighs less than 100lbs. And how a lot of people including herself think that her political opinions etc are more than a bit "out there".

Originally Posted by DnJ
Installing the exhaust vent is much easier than a window shaker. Especially on higher than ground floor, which I suspect your bedroom would be.
Got it hooked up. The first night I had it in the bedroom where it roared all night until I turned it off. I now have it in the dressing room off the MBR and have figured out the controls a bit better. I think tonight will be the last night of the year that I might need it, but at least I've got it now. I don't like the fact that I'll be cooling another room but the noise was just too much for my liking. I was also surprised that after running for a while - and possibly when it changed cycles while I was testing to see how long it took to cool the room - that my 15 amp breaker popped. Being cheap there isn't much other load on that circuit. I only noticed because my internet router is on the same circuit and it went out.

---

Just got some worrisome news this morning that I want to get off my chest - part of the whole not having someone to talk about the day-to-day with.

My oldest sister is going in again for some pre-cancer surgery probably within the next month. She let us (family etc) know on a group chat. I sent well-wishes. There's really not much more I can do. There is a strong history of cancer in my family on my mother's side so it's not too much of a shock that it has come around again. She's a widow with no family living close by but she has a strong friend / support group where she lives.

At my age (58) you do get regular reminders of mortality and this is one of them.

---

I just checked my budget for this month this morning and it has me sending this month's alimony on the 34th anniversary of when my xW and I met. I waffled about adding on an extra note beyond the payment number and date pointing out the past significance of that date, but no. No purpose in poking the bear. #58 of 77 then 7 months after that is my last car payment. I don't think I'll send a note to Toyota either although I expect that THEY will be reaching out before too long to see if I want to see them crazy
Hello Andrew

Hoping the best for your sister. Yes, as we get old this kind of news does pop up more frequently. Another of life’s reminders.

It’s odd that the 15 A breaker tripped. A router doesn’t draw much power. Perhaps there was a light on as well, or more likely the circuit breaker is a bit weak.

I did find low speed worked fine once the room was cooled down. Not as quiet as a country night, though not sweat like crazy is pretty good. Blowing in cooler air from an attached room is a good solution methinks.

Have a great day.

D
don't borrow trouble. think positively. keep it in the day. say a prayer.
Sending prayers and positive vibes for your sister. (((Andrew)))
Sending positive thoughts and prayers for your sister. Stay positive, Andrew.
Thanks for the good wishes on behalf of my sister. The most recent message I got from her was upbeat. She's been down this path before.

There's a history of cancer on my mother's side of the family and my mother died herself from colon cancer at about the same age as my sister is now.

---

Been a tough couple of days and also weird too. For some reason the passing of both the 33rd anniversary of my former marriage on Friday and the 34th anniversary of when we met on Saturday hit me with feelings of sadness and regret. Nothing serious, but the WTF was certainly there.

Had a nice brunch with my son today especially after I got him off the topic of provincial politics. It's his birthday this Thursday so I gave him his present and card today as he doesn't know what his plans are as of yet. I think he's thinking of celebrating with 20S who he shares a birthday with. Since his mother and I split he's had I think all of his birthdays with me although historically it was also me who did much of the planning of such things.

I saw "C" yet again for a short while on Saturday - she was up helping her friends at the brewery and contacted me to pop up for a drink. This seems to be becoming a more frequent thing for our paths to cross. It's always nice to see her.

I also bumped in to the nice lady in the flower shop for the first time in a number of months. She had a sitter and so was able to work. I think she's been going through a tough time health-wise lately and was in a fair amount of pain but still working. Bad as it may sound, I'm kind of glad that nothing did develop with her even though she is a great person. Her health issues, a young child who from what I understand can be a "handful" at times - while I have sympathy for her, I'm glad I'm not directly involved.

---

So I worked through some more budget numbers and if I increase my mortgage payment by 20% each year which is the maximum I can do and certainly something I can afford, I will knock 6 years off the amortization having it paid off before I turn 64. That may allow me to do some re-thinking about when and how I retire. Lots to think on.
Hi Andrew, sending positive thoughts toward your sister!

Glad things with "C" are.. progressing?!.. and you dodged a bullet with Ms. Flowershop.
64 sounds good! When I was at that get together with my high school friends, one’s wife asked me if I was still working, to which I replied yes, but I only see patients 4 days a week (usually catch up paperwork the fifth day ). His wife replied with dismay that I was working so much, and it dawned on me that half my friends there were retired already. I’ve been so focused on making it to 70 myself (to maximize my social security income and pay down my mortgage) that I sort of didn’t notice my peers retiring around me before then.

I’m happy to be healthy and able to continue work that I love and has meaning. But I guess that will add yet another layer of complexity to dating if I ever do again. Are they retired yet, or not?
64 sounds good! When I was at that get together with my high school friends, one’s wife asked me if I was still working, to which I replied yes, but I only see patients 4 days a week (usually catch up paperwork the fifth day ). His wife replied with dismay that I was working so much, and it dawned on me that half my friends there were retired already. I’ve been so focused on making it to 70 myself (to maximize my social security income and pay down my mortgage) that I sort of didn’t notice my peers retiring around me before then.

I’m happy to be healthy and able to continue work that I love and has meaning. But I guess that will add yet another layer of complexity to dating if I ever do again.
Originally Posted by kml
Are they retired yet, or not?
I don't have any hard numbers but suspect that our generation is woefully unprepared for retirement. "B" who I dated a few years ago had no retirement savings and resented any attempt at payroll deduction for retirement plans. Her "ex" (no clue on her status) retired at 50 from a good union job and blew it all on "toys" to the point where her minimum wage income was necessary to give them a good enough credit rating for their mortgage.

One perhaps revealing question that confused "S" was "how much do you pay each month on your credit card". She just never could get her head around the idea that I paid whatever was on it every month.

I mentioned this on another thread, but the concept of a "hobosexual' is something we need to watch out for. Even someone like CMM could be considered to fall into that category.
if I increase my mortgage payment by 20% each year which is the maximum I can do

Will you explain this to me? Is it a Canada thing? A mortgage thing? I can pay however much I want over the minimum payment each month.
Originally Posted by dream
if I increase my mortgage payment by 20% each year which is the maximum I can do

Will you explain this to me? Is it a Canada thing? A mortgage thing? I can pay however much I want over the minimum payment each month.
It's just how this particular mortgage is structured. I'm allowed this increase and I can also do one lump sum payment each year without penalty. I expect that other mortgage products are structured differently.

So - for example when I bought my xW out of the house, I had to pay a bit extra to get out of that prior mortgage contract (which they gave me back as a "you are a great customer" credit).

Makes some sense from the bank's point of view. They've entered into a contract with me as a borrower and want to be sure that I abide by it.

You maybe have an "open" mortgage where I have a "closed" one.
Originally Posted by From the internet
What is the difference between an open and closed mortgage?
An open mortgage provides flexibility until you are ready to lock into a closed term. A closed mortgage limits your prepayment options but usually offers a lower interest rate than an open mortgage.

I like the idea of a closed mortgage because it has a fixed interest rate and terms and I can have security knowing that nothing will change on me unexpectedly. Just like I locked in a fixed interest rate even though at the time I could have gotten a lower rate on a variable rate mortgage.

I'm a pretty conservative person with my money and take few risks. But also limit the "wins" I may get.
In the US, mortgages with a prepayment penalty are pretty much a thing of the past.
CMM could be considered to fall into that category.

Well, it was ME who insisted he move in with me (as I was fully aware of the costs of cancer treatment, monetary and otherwise) and he did pay his way otherwise besides housing. Still, if he had not gotten cancer, he would have eventually retired with just social security. He loved me madly though, so it wasn't about him trying to be with me for what I could provide. And he did everything he could to repay me by cooking for me, cleaning (while he was still able to do so) and being very supportive. He knew I would have to care for him in the end, so he saw it as "building up credits" for when that time came.

If I do date again, I'd like a man who lives within his means and has a plan for retirement. I suppose I could provide housing (as it doesn't cost me anything to have another person living with me) but I'm really not looking to live with someone again, so he would have to be really special for me to do that. My preference would be a guy who owns his own home and has his own life separate from me. Add to that healthy, sexually functional, able to entertain himself while I'm working if he's retired, aligned values - well, it's a lot. Perhaps I will still need to look at slightly younger guys, although letting my white hair grow out as I am doing may preclude that, I don't know. I suppose I can always dye it again if that proves to be the case.

For now, I'm still going to wait at least a year before thinking of dating, probably longer with all these factors to consider. Right now I'm happy just spending time with my "date", the super charming Lee Min Ho in The King: Eternal Monarch on Netflix, lol.
Andrew - you might like The King, since it involves parallel universes and some time travel!
Thanks, kml. Sounds like it's a Canada thing. Makes sense since I never heard of it before!

Andrew, I also have a fixed interest rate. I wouldn't want to gamble with that market. Great news that you're able to contribute more to your payment and pay that mortgage off sooner than later!

Happy birthday to your son! smile
Hi Andrew

Nice to read you can shorten your mortgage by six years. That is a far bit of interest to not have to pay. Yay!

I never ballooned the payments. I could apply yearly on the anniversary of the mortgage up to 10% of the loaned amount. A 10% paid directly to the principle. I did that for a few years, and when I was in between terms I dumped a bunch more on to it.

Like you I’m rather conservative and always took a closed mortgage with a fixed interest rate. I like knowing how bad things are. Lol. And knowing they ain’t going to get worse for x amount of time.

D
Happy birthday to your son! smile
Thanks Dream.

I was a bit startled when he called me on his birthday as I was driving home to take me up on my offer of dinner out. We went to a lovely pub just outside the town he lives in and had a great visit. It's a place I've occasionally thought about checking out and they recently have new owners. If I ever do date again, it would be a great spot to go I think.

He had opened his present which was a hand-forged kitchen tool and said that he quite liked it although he appreciated it more as a locally produced piece of art with some practical use as opposed to something he'll use a lot. Which is my attitude about the nearly identical one I got for myself at the same time.

From some of the things he's said, it seems that he's maintaining connections with his relatives on his mother's side of the family which is good. I think both of my kids have done well in "not taking sides" which I'm sure is tough in most situations. The fact that he chose me to celebrate his birthday with was flattering in some ways but also unsurprising. His mother was never someone who was keen on making a fuss over such things as birthdays where it is important to me to do so.

No mention of course of his mother or her life. I can only assume that she's going about her life and doing her thing.

I caught him up on the happenings in his sister's life. Surprisingly she had called me the day before and we had a lovely chat. We'd not been talking much in recent times. With the time difference and her busy life I've never been sure when would be appropriate to call. So the last two calls have been her calling me which is a nice switch-around as historically it was only me initiating the contact.

Things are going well for her too and in a funny note, she will also be learning how to drive a forklift soon for her job so both of my kids now will have a skill I've always wanted. The guys in the plant have made it clear that among many things there, that forklift driving is also not one of the things that I'm to be trained on.

I did get down to the corporate office on Tuesday and had a challenging meeting with the sales management team from our other division. Beyond the technical challenges of actually getting the equipment to work for the meeting, the lack of an agenda or any sort of focus made for a rambling and only slightly productive event. They seemed fairly satisfied as was the Director who is technically in charge of this project but I wasn't.

After we had our "team-building" exercise which was a boat cruise around the harbour. It was very nice to see so many people I've not seen in years and to catch up. There was some talk about my bow tie ending up floating in the harbour as I didn't bring any clothes with me to change in to. I did meet some of our new staff including the new controller who I had been hoping would be someone who would shake things up a bit but after meeting him, I don't see that as part of his personality.

I'm starting on a week's vacation where I'm hoping to get some of the outside work done on the house in preparation for winter crazy There is a fair bit of exterior painting to be done along with some rot in a couple of window frames that needs to be addressed. I also hope to finally finish the re-engineering of my garage door this weekend. That's been a task that has been stressing me out because I am rather "winging it" with only a vague outline of how it should work and have had to re-evaluate things a few times and redo when one approach or another proved to just plain not work.

In other "news", it looks like I'll have to get a new furnace which is annoying. My existing furnace, despite being about 30 years old is working perfectly fine, but my oil tank is coming up on expiry - or depending on how you read the regulation - it's already expired. AND the company that's been servicing it is getting out of that business and there are very few companies who still service oil furnaces. So most likely I'll get a new propane furnace in the spring which is an expense I'll have to put into the budget and do some research. There's talk about natural gas being brought into the village but that's at least a year or more away. I have a backup servicing company but have no worries about the furnace I have getting me through the winter as it has been properly cleaned and tuned.

Sigh - it just never ends with an old house but I wouldn't have it any other way. This is "home". I laughed to myself thinking on how a house can reflect it's inhabitants. Older, slightly run down appearance and "make do" but everything still works fine. I'm proud of my home and how I care for it.

When I was married, my then wife had a serious issue of what FlyLady calls CHAOS. Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome so we rarely if ever entertained. Given who this place was when a real hoarder lived here, looking back it wasn't "that bad" but certainly more cluttered and less clean than it is now. Mind you, there's a big difference in a home with 4 people including 2 children, 3 cats and a dog vs a bachelor with natural tidy habits with only his middle-aged rescue cat for company. I certainly would have no worries about opening my door to a visitor and offering them a cup of tea.
Originally Posted by Traveler
Glad things with "C" are.. progressing?!
"C" certainly seems to be circling around. Even though it never went anywhere when we actually dated briefly about 3 years or so ago, she remains someone who I quite like. Are we compatible? No clue and I'm not worrying about it. We both like tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches as comfort food.

I'm not worrying about it too much although it is something that is on my mind. If she can ever manage to get divorced from her lawyer STBX (been over 5 years and lots of legal fees) then she can make her own choices about things. As can I. I'm certainly not putting my life on hold waiting. I'm still not sure about if I will be willing to open myself up to others again.

Well - tea pot is just about empty so time to get on with my day.

Hasta manana amigos
I feel fortunate to have lived several places as an adult that felt like “home”. The sunny two bedroom apartment within walking distance of beach, bay and shopping when I was a medical student. The tiny cottage that was the first home my ex and I bought and labored over remodeling. The modest but comfortable 50’s ranch house with ocean views that my ex and I lovingly remodeled and raised our kids in. And the two story 30 year old tract house with vaulted ceilings and a great floor plan that I currently own, although it needs some minor repairs and updating.

This may or may not be my last home. It’s perfect for sharing with my son and occasionally other family members, but if it were only me, I might downsize to something easier to clean and maintain. Who knows. Right now it suits me well.

I find that a few cherished belongings can make any space “home”.
Swings the cat around .... wheeeeee

Happy National Bow Tie Day for those that are celebrating.

Thought I'd wander by and write out an update of the adventures being had in the Land of P.

Finishing off my week of vacation - back to the plant tomorrow. I think they've gotten the new tank for one of our raw materials installed - that should make things a bit easier. The existing tank was a bit small. The product we make out of that goes in to water treatment plants and that side of the business is doing fairly well lately.

Only a couple of calls from the plant while I was off. There were some questions on the regulations around one of our chemicals and the plant camera surveillance system failed. The first I will have to double check on tomorrow as there are some open questions and for the second, I managed to duck-tape the plant camera system into my personal one and then gave the control room access to their own cameras via my personal security server. Not something I was happy doing and I'm sure our IT team wouldn't be thrilled either, but seems to have worked as a temporary measure. Our IT team doesn't really pay much attention to our little plant even though we generate 50%+ of the net revenue for the company. I had requested that they investigate and repair but other than acknowledging the help ticket, no response, no follow-up. Sigh.

I didn't get any chance to go anywhere or "do" anything as on my first day off a neighbour of mine came over to see me. He's the local "handyman" and was following up on some jobs I'd asked him to do back in the spring. When he found I was off, he said that he would come over and start working on them because I would be around to help. So - I was around all week to help.

He's maybe about 6-7 years older than I am and has a number of health issues including heart arrhythmia that made it hard to go up the stairs in the house. This is beyond him nearly cutting his own arm off not too long ago when he was working alone. A reminder of one of the big risks in living alone as well.

Part of his routine was to come over at 7:30 (so I couldn't sleep in) and we'd share a cup of tea and chat. I was also expected to make tea for him mid morning. Not really an issue for me, but perhaps a bit odd. While he worked on the various projects, I'd putter away on paperwork and my own projects.

He's a long standing bachelor and it was interesting to hear from him how "the other half" lives. He has had some relationships in the past including one that lasted for several years but in many ways doesn't want to be bothered. He has a fairly cynical attitude towards to fairer sex which these days I can somewhat understand.

There's a number of families and I also think widows around that he regularly drops in for a visit and cup of coffee.

In some ways I was a bit surprised about some glimpses into his day-to-day life. By his own admission he doesn't bother cleaning up his house much "a bit of dust doesn't bother me". He doesn't own laundry machines so takes his clothes "in to town" to the laundromat there. He doesn't really cook but uses pre-prepared meals for the most part and also gets fed by the aforementioned families / widows.

I honestly don't know if this fairly stereo-typical life he leads is actually typical for bachelors. Maybe it's a function of his upbringing in that he never took any interest in "housework" or not. I do believe that my own interests in cooking and cleaning yadda yadda is considered odd by at least some of my friends and neighbours.

Nice guy. He did pretty good work here and takes a lot of pride in it. Both spare bedrooms are now patched and primed and I also finally have a railing on my balcony that is substantial and to code. The latter was definitely a 2-man job and I held the ends of boards and passed him tools as necessary. He never gave me an estimate and I have no idea on what the bill will be but expect it to be modest. I had the money saved up for what I thought it would cost in the spring so don't expect it to be an issue. He only really worked here 1/2 days before he got tired and would head home too so even the labour costs won't be too much.

I also got a couple of my own projects taken care of. The re-engineering and rebuilding of the garage door changing it to a folding door is complete and I'm pretty happy with the results. There was also a section of rot in one of the window-sills that I patched properly. A surprising amount of rot was dug out.

---

In other news the older lady who lives in the duplex next door has had a cancer diagnosis according to her daughter. By the sounds of how widely spread it is, she might not have long left. She's rarely out and about (she's in her 90s) but always has a friendly word when we see each other. I expect that her daughter who owns the duplex will turn her mom's side into a rental. Sad but not really a shock. I've been worried about her especially after she had a big fall last winter.

Continuing on the local gossip, yet another cousin of mine with the same name is getting divorced. That will make three of us - I do hope that our name isn't cursed. I think he's living in the travel-trailer parked next to his auto-repair shop which probably technically isn't legal but I doubt anyone will make much of a fuss about it. Although they may - can't know.

Even though was are cousins in the same village with the same name, our paths don't cross all that much. He's a decent enough guy and he and his wife have been together for probably well over 20 years. Second marriage for her I know, not sure about him. When I go in to the pharmacy or see the doctor, I'm always careful to point out that I'm the "older, better looking one" because we go the same places and having the same name can be a problem. When I was married, both wives agreed that I was indeed the "older, better looking one" laugh

---

I'm thinking that in the next week or so I might reach out to "C" to see if she's interested in dinner. Our last "date" was back in March or April I think. She lives more or less in the same geography as the plant so it's more convenient when I'm down there. She probably won't be available until next week at the earliest because I know she's usually putting in extra hours at month-end for her own job.

---

I'll be out and about shortly to have my bi-weekly brunch with my son and then later this afternoon out to the old family farm to have dinner with my youngest brother and his family. It's more than a bit weird to be out on a Sunday night - in my head I kept trying to figure out how / when to do my Sunday baking and stage things before reminding myself that someone else is cooking. We're not an especially tight-knit family - I think the last time I was out there for dinner was when I was still married - so 7 years ago. Between visits I'll try to slap some paint on the window-sill.

--
So this is interesting for a particular value of not interesting ...

Someone asked me recently if my xW and OM had broken up. Seems she'd been seen walking around hand in hand with someone else. Could have been a case of mistaken identity - or not. I'll occasionally see someone where I need to do a double-take on because they kind-of looked like her. Short, middle-aged, chubby women seem to be fairly common in my part of the world.

I replied that I had no clue on her relationship status other than having seen both vehicles at her house in recent times and that it was none of my concern.

I also was told that she had been going on and on about how badly I had scr3w3d her over in the settlement although from what I gather that was some time ago in the news. I doubt she's changed her mind though.

I also heard another rumour that the liquor store she used to work at has been sold and it's expected that all of the staff will get the sack as it is a family that has bought it. As far as I know, she's not worked there in some time though.

Given my memories on how she would bring her anger about things home, I'm sure that things are all peaceful and harmonious .... If the rumour about her and OM got to me, I'm sure that it's gotten around fairly widely. And she did so actively hate anyone talking about her.

19 more payments to go ...
Andrew, when people bring up your exw to you, do you also add after the none of your concern a strong boundary like, "I don't entertain conversation about my exwife, for future reference."

???

Because you seem to get far more information than most, and don't seem to put a plug in that jug whenever she's brought up.

It's natural to wonder, but I wonder what it does for you to not set that stronger limit with people who bring her up?

Re: what she said about the divorce settlement. I believe it's important to remember that what others say about us is really none of our business. The people who know and love you know the truth. No one else really matters, do they?

$.02
Originally Posted by bttrfly
Because you seem to get far more information than most, and don't seem to put a plug in that jug whenever she's brought up.
??? This is the first thing I've heard in a long time - literally years - and I know practically nothing about them and their lives. I only know where they live because my xW has a unique car and is on a street I use regularly.

Not sure how you got the impression I was well informed.

No real need to set that boundary with people because it pretty much never comes up and doesn't bother me any more. Informing people that I need to limit our conversations just seems weird under the circumstances.
Your post makes me SO glad my ex isn't married to one of his OW. His current wife came along about 9 months after we split, so I bear her no ill will. I can imagine though, in a case like yours, the secret satisfaction one might feel upon hearing there might be trouble in paradise. smile

All WASs seem to feel like they got shafted in the divorce settlement - because in their imaginations, they were going to have the zipless divorce, get all the assets, and live happily ever after. And when the reality of a fair divorce settlement hits, well, it must be SOMEONE's fault, so must be yours, right?

My divorce settlement almost couldn't have been simpler. Community property state, all assets acquired during our marriage, things split pretty evenly. Because of the formulas used, I get slightly less of the pension than I ought, alimony was a compromise between what I really earn and what my ex thought I could earn, and he negotiated down to 10 years instead of 12 because of something else I got. It was civil and I never ever bothered him. Yet he complains to the kids about how badly I took him to the cleaners, with no basis in fact whatsoever. Despite the fact that he has way more money than I do. If his new life isn't making him deliriously happy it has nothing to do with me or our divorce settlement, but I think often they are like the dog that caught the car.
You do seem to get info from sources, like your son, but you also speculate a good bit about the comings and goings of your xw. I think, though you say you don’t need a boundary because you don’t get much info, that maybe you do need to spend less time worrying with her comings and goings and life in general. I know you aren’t surprised I’m saying this because I tell you all the time to let it go. Lol

All of the posts where I read about divorce settlements makes me very thankful ours was quite simple. So glad to be past that!
Boundaries are not for other people, Andrew. They are for you.
Happy Labour Day! I'm trying to get caught up on some work things and ended up diverted here.

I've been advised that I'm going to probably get a new job title at work that will make me more or less an official manager. It's vague like the one I have right now but more aligned with my current role.

It turns out that a small capital project I had to replace the surveillance system cameras etc at the plant got chopped. So - going from an anticipated budget of about 53K to whatever I can scrape up. I went on my own time on Saturday and picked up a computer for $45 to use for one of our shacks with a spare screen for a monitoring station vs a "proper" new panel. I already replaced the NVR with another machine that was sitting as a spare and installed open source software on it - yes - he's still a propeller head crazy

Instead of $1,000-$3,000 robust cameras properly wired in, I'll be trying some $35 Wyze WiFi cameras like what I use on my home system. I've told them that we'll need to have spares on the shelf because they will probably need to be replaced fairly regularly. Fortunately I only need to have 2 cameras that can be remotely moved and should be able to repurpose some existing cameras for that. I have some other ideas on alternatives too but want to keep the scope to getting just what absolutely needs to happen done and hope to be able to do it "right" in the next CAPEX cycle. It's like I tell people, you can have it fast, cheap or right. Pick 2. Looks like we're going for fast and cheap.

The operations manager isn't happy either as he also would prefer to do things "right" so that will present a few challenges as I'll need to borrow some of his people to construct mounts and run cables. I'm not rated / trained for working at heights and never did get the hang of welding so can't do all of the legwork myself.

Wouldn't be the first time and undoubtedly won't be the last that I substitute sweat for money.

This will free up some money for other plant projects though that will directly impact our production capabilities. We've been having some challenges with some equipment and when we go into shutdown next month and the plant cools off so we can inspect and repair there is an expectation of some unexpected issues.

---

Not much else happening here. I had a small can of Dulce de Leche that was due to expire so used it to make a significant amount of pudding which will be desert for the next number of days. Since that used egg yolks, I now have a fair amount of egg whites to use up. I'm thinking of perhaps having another attempt at making a soufflé. My first one was a bit disappointing because I didn't do a great job making the meringue.

I also added some chopped garlic and sun-dried tomatoes to "liven up" my weekly loaf of fresh baked bread. An experiment that seems to have turned out well.

---

Cuffing season is fast approaching along with the urge to pair up again. I've gotten so comfortable living in my own space that the thought of sharing it again is worrisome after the last disaster. The first time around, it actually worked out pretty well and we did share the space I thought fairly well for the couple of months that it lasted but "B" had put a lot of thought into it and "added" rather removing and replacing.

I hope she's doing well. I still think highly of her even though we were not compatible. I have no idea what she's up to or even where she is. None of my business after-all and I've not really looked.

I've been reading elsewhere on the topic of middle-aged dating. Being as both genders post and not generally with a focus on "what was" like we tend to here, it's been enlightening. I had a couple of women reach out via the chat feature which was nice but I made it clear that I was firmly parked on the sidelines at this point.

A lot of interesting perspectives as people talk about the dating process and how they personally approach and feel about it / what worked and what didn't. There are quite a few people there who like myself are uncertain / ambivalent about the whole dating thing. The topic of "living apart together" comes up quite a lot although personally that wouldn't be something I would want long term but could see it as a necessary stage for some time for someone like myself.

---

Well - back to my exciting data validation process. Blech. But needs to be done. I did get the sweeping and dusting done yesterday and need to do the scrubbing and ironing today. I'd hoped to give the floors a good scrubbing this weekend but will move that to another day.

Have a good one all.
A busy and stressful week. The corporate meeting was on Tuesday and overall went well although they tried to drag me more into a project in another division. Fortunately the COO supported my opinion that they actually bring in a proper expert rather than just someone everyone already knew.

Since I lost funding for the surveillance system replacement, I brought in one of the cheap "home" cameras to see the rail-siding and it worked surprisingly well. The key problem was that it can only see two cars clearly at a time as it doesn't have an optical zoom. The guys were pretty happy and one went out with his portable welder and tacked on a piece to one of the vertical girders to better place the camera as he thought (and was right) that it would help.

I had a laugh because after I got the camera set up, I advised the management team and the president said that he quite liked the clarity of the images but was annoyed because he saw a couple of instances of staff not properly following safety protocols.

I did reach out to "C" and she has a lot going on as always. Still struggling to get her divorce through almost 6 years out. Her X is a lawyer and fairly high up in the legal community and from C's point of view, is being a jerk about it. She's required to not disclose any details and I'm probably happier not knowing them. All I know is that there's currently a flurry of activity back and forth so for her sake, I do hope that she's getting close to being able to get things signed.

We've texted back and forth a bit through the week. She's off to Europe for a week or so now and mentioned that she'll be in my geography in early October so we'll probably visit. I'm treating this as "seeing a friend" as I don't really know if I want anything more and of course, can't speak to her own opinions on such things.

On Instagram my x-girlfriend "S" popped up as "someone you may know" which I interpret as she's lurked on my profile, so I lurked on her's. She rarely posts anything there and had a post where she mentioned that "we" were in Niagara Falls and had a picture from a hotel room with a nice view. So it seems that she is thriving and may or may not have a new beau. The "we" could be a girlfriend. I think the consensus here was that she wouldn't be long in replacing me. From other things I saw it might actually be xH#2 who had been supporting her via child support for the past probably 15 years. They always had an amicable relationship and she used to try to cut me down by pointing out how much money he made vs me even though he was chronically broke.

They live similar lifestyles, eat convenience foods, don't think much about housekeeping and have similar hoarding issues. S used to store a lot of her stuff in his storage locker which personally I think is odd for someone to do with an ex partner. On the other hand, her kids told me that I was the only person to ever dump "her", so he presumably had a soft spot for her.

I wish her / them well assuming that they are a pair. It eases my mind a bit to imagine that she's going to live a life that she'll be happy with. I don't wish her ill, I just wished her away crazy

Not much else going on. I'm out for brunch with my son shortly. Liver and onions with mashed potatoes and fresh bread and perhaps fresh baked apple crumble is on the menu for tonight. The butcher shop did a good job of finding me single serving sized portions along with a nice leg of lamb that I'll roast up perhaps in a few weeks. I do so enjoy roast lamb. Looking at the calendar, I'll need to get my Thanksgiving meal supplies lined up - need to clear some freezer room first.

Enjoy the day db friends.
Well - oh my. People are just dropping like flies lately. The older lady who lived next door passed a couple of weeks ago. They found her on her kitchen floor. Presumably complications of the cancers she had. Sad but at 90 not too much of a shock.

The of course the Queen passing at 96. Again not too much of a shock. Still trying to get my head around the fact that Charles III is now king and of course there's the whole Camilla thing ...

The big one though is that an acquaintance of mine hung himself at his long term girlfriend's house a couple of days ago. She found him and did her best with CPR. He was a close friend of my youngest sister and she is the mother of my youngest brother's wife. So hitting more than a bit close to home. They'd had a long-distance relationship for at least 4-5 years.

I presume he was more or less my age, a cheerful, helpful guy who as far as I know had been single for a very long time. It just goes to show I suppose that a cheerful exterior can cover up a lot of things that are underneath.

As a bit of irony, his job was as a manager at a company that retrieves bodies after people died and take care of the site. His death in this fashion undoubtedly has some meaning that is none of my concern.

This is yet another time when having someone around to help me with the thinking and processing would be really good for me.

From what I gather from my sister-in-law, her mother is of course struggling pretty hard right now. I'm not very close to her mother of course although I've known her for a very long time. A decent woman who had her daughter when in high-school and is actually a couple of years younger than I am. She had a couple of bad relationships as well but mainly has stayed single her entire life. I wish there was something concrete I could do to help, but there's not. SIL did say that a card of condolence would be very welcome so I will definitely do that today.
Wow - so sad.
Very, very sad. I’m sorry for all of these losses weighing heavy on your heart.
i'm so sorry Andrew. Difficult to know what to say in a situation like this. I think a card is a kindness she will appreciate.
(((Andrew))) that’s a lot of loss and I’m sorry. Hugs and sunshine with some biscuits and gravy and sweet tea are sent from down south.
Originally Posted by AndrewP
They'd had a long-distance relationship for at least 4-5 years.... His death in this fashion undoubtedly has some meaning that is none of my concern.

All around sad, but definitely makes me wonder what was going on in their relationship. He chose her house for a reason and knew she would be the one to find him.

It's a reminder that things are not always as they appear to be. Enjoy each day that we're given. ♥

How was brunch with your son last week?
It just goes to show I suppose that a cheerful exterior can cover up a lot of things that are underneath.
Indeed. I remember learning the word "façade" in health class back in school...understand much better now what they were teaching back then and how it applies in real life.
Enjoy each day that we're given. ♥
It's like those cheesy signs say ... Today is a Present.

How was brunch with your son last week?
It was nice. Lots of engaging conversation and the time flew by. I just need to steer him away from provincial politics and it's all good smile It's nice to see as time goes on that some of the generalized anger and depression that he seemed to have had back in the day seems to be absent. Other than provincial politics of course.

Hard to believe that in a couple of weeks that it will be Thanksgiving. I have to check to see if he'll be available for dinner. I already have a duck set aside.

I hope you and the boys are continuing to do well.
Those cheesy signs/sayings are pretty accurate!! blush

Glad you had a good visit with your son. All is well here. Settling into a routine now that school is back in session. My oldest is 16 and now driving... shocked crazy I try not to get too anxious about it. Not many years left of interactions with XH.
Originally Posted by kml
All WASs seem to feel like they got shafted in the divorce settlement - because in their imaginations, they were going to have the zipless divorce, get all the assets, and live happily ever after. And when the reality of a fair divorce settlement hits, well, it must be SOMEONE's fault, so must be yours, right?

I think this is far more prevalent than we realise. The WAS' already want to blame us for their unhappiness, fairly or not. Judging by little snippets I've heard, I am pretty sure my XH also tells himself, and the kids, that I took him to the cleaners - even though that is patently untrue. I don't know for sure what the kids think about it though - they never, ever mention him to me at all. Ever.

Andrew, if your XW has split up with OM, I for one would not judge you one iota for smirking. I certainly would wink Yeah - I'm evil. I'm just gonna have to live with that grin
Originally Posted by devvo
Andrew, if your XW has split up with OM, I for one would not judge you one iota for smirking. I certainly would wink Yeah - I'm evil. I'm just gonna have to live with that grin
Last time I drove past their house on my way home from the shops both vehicles were there. Given that it was a rumour that was passed to me, there's no way of knowing what the actual truth is and since it doesn't affect me or the kids, I don't care. Although yes - some quiet smirking can be called for.

I expect that in 18 months when the money stops flowing in from me that it will make things rather more uncomfortable. I have a number of friends who have signed up to help me celebrate that freedom from feedom.

I used to worry that she'd try to circle back in some fashion after the money dries up but am not any more. As the philosopher Randy Travis once wrote "Now you're just an old song nobody sings anymore"
I used to worry that she'd try to circle back in some fashion after the money dries up but am not any more.
Why would you worry about that? Are you worried you would take her back? Hurt her feelings?
Originally Posted by devvo
Last time I drove past their house on my way home from the shops both vehicles were there. Given that it was a rumour that was passed to me, there's no way of knowing what the actual truth is and since it doesn't affect me or the kids, I don't care. Although yes - some quiet smirking can be called for.

I expect that in 18 months when the money stops flowing in from me that it will make things rather more uncomfortable. I have a number of friends who have signed up to help me celebrate that freedom from feedom.

I used to worry that she'd try to circle back in some fashion after the money dries up but am not any more. As the philosopher Randy Travis once wrote "Now you're just an old song nobody sings anymore"

Great song and appropriate for the topic. This is why I love you, Andrew! RT is a philosopher indeed.
Up to 5 dead as of last Friday. Just seems to be a thing lately.

- one acquaintance suicide
- one heart attack of a friend of a friend
- elderly next door neighbour found on kitchen floor
- son of my boss via overdose
- one of my uncles of a genetic disease that caught up to him

Hope that's the last of them for a while.

Was bumped into by my xW I think on Friday. I was at a craft show and she - or at least someone who looks identical to her (it's been more than a few years) came in through a side aisle, ricocheted off me, looked up and then rapidly took off down another aisle never to be seen again. I was wearing a mask because of the combination of flu season and being in a crowded venue but was undoubtedly still recognizable.

Can't admit to being really surprised. She did like craft shows as do I. I got a new tea cozy. It's very nice. I also got some small cups that I'm going to try later with espresso from my moka-pot along with some lovely hand-made Christmas decor.

I have no interest in interacting with my xW - the last time was 5 years ago at the divorce negotiations where she was just a bundle of fury. Any time our paths cross (small towns - she lives 10 minutes away) she immediately and vigorously changes location. I find it rather humourous. It only happens a couple of times a year fortunately. I'm rather predictable in my routines and easily avoided I'm sure.

Happy Sunday all! Made peanut butter cookies yesterday using a variation on my usual recipe. Rather pleased with the results. This morning tried using a meringue in my pancakes instead of just mixing in the egg - mixed results (no pun intended).

Trying to decide on dinner for tonight. I have a nice pork cottage roll out but I also have some peppers that maybe should be eaten up. Might put it all into the crock-pot and hope for the best. Ah - the hedonistic lifestyle of the vacationing middle-aged bachelor. I'm considering getting back into dating if for no other reason than to have someone who would appreciate my cooking especially at breakfast crazy Need to be careful with that though. The last time I ended up having to feed nearly 10 people every Sunday night which was exhausting.

Back to the plant tomorrow after a week and half off.

PS - cat is doing well and really likes that I put a cat bed on my desk.
Good Morning Andrew

Yes, as we get to be our age more and more folk we know pass on. Of course, we notice it more than when we were younger and invincible.

Congrats on the peanut butter cookies and meringue pancakes smile . And tonight’s supper plans sounds delicious. Middle-aged bachelor. Hee. Small town life affords no skip the dishes or some such. Good thing too, elsewise I’d most likely be utilizing it daily. Haha.

If you get back to dating, I hope it’s dinner for two for a good long while. Feeding a brood of ten is for special events and celebrations.

Enjoy the day, and I hope not too many things piled up at the plant after your week and a half absence.

D
You’ve waited a good long time since the last fiasco to start dating again. I think you’re ready BUT before your brain gets all fogged up with oxytocin, how about setting a few ground tiles for yourself?

No living together for AT LEAST the first year.

No proposing for at least one year.

Be very wary of damsels in distress.

And given your history, best make sure they are legally divorced and unentangled.
Up to 5 dead as of last Friday. Just seems to be a thing lately.

- one acquaintance suicide
- one heart attack of a friend of a friend
- elderly next door neighbour found on kitchen floor
- son of my boss via overdose
- one of my uncles of a genetic disease that caught up to him

Hope that's the last of them for a while.

I should probably put this on my own thread but since I rarely post there I’ll just say you are not alone and if I choose to and get the inclination to follow through I’ll put the details there. But you’re not alone. Probably won’t make it any better or easier but in good company.

- 25 plus year friend, 63, very rare brain tumor
- Wild girl (dated) 46, recently learned death certificate lists possible complications of chronic alcohol (or something to that effect) left behind daughters now 19 and 21
- colleague recruited me to new start up during Covid, 57, never married, long resume, challenging to work with/for, not at all what met them eyes- even before her suicide
- drummer/good friend I’ve known since my teens, 68 sudden cardiac arrest
- two more with devastating diagnosis, the clock is ticking

I keep saying - ENOUGH ALREADY.

I still feel as I long have. No aches or pains, great shape, great genes including grandparents living to mid 90s, uncle 89 and counting living as if he were 70 or 75. But my friends are slowing down. Life has changed. The world has changed.

Sorry for your losses Andrew
Good morning from Spooky, Frosty Upper Lower Middle Kanukistan.

Lots going on - nothing much to write about that's relevant here. Railway bridge in Arkansas caught fire which caused me a bad few days, I had a minor car accident, cooked some food, ate some food. Got a quote on a new furnace for next spring and paid the deposit on it.

Last week was our annual plant shutdown which didn't go as smoothly as hoped. The guys are in the middle of starting the plant back up now - fingers crossed. I didn't have too much involvement, I helped replace one of the control systems and actually got to push buttons on the main control panel (open and close the gate).

My job title change finally has been made public / official which caused a lot of confusion with my friends. One thing they were all interested in was if I got more money - which no - I'm still being paid the same. So many people are surprised that I'm not pushing for more. I'm making a number that allows me to be comfortable.

I had an interesting dinner with an old colleague last week. He also had stories of quite a few people who recently passed plus the nephew of his girlfriend who was an athlete just had an accident and is now a quadriplegic. Goes go show that you really can't count on anything can you...

It's always a bit odd when we get together because I mentored him back in the day and now he's an executive at a 3 B$ company and still uses the lessons I taught him to guide him. I didn't object when he used his company expenses to pay for dinner wink

He's been dating the same woman for about 3 years now. The second woman he dated and they started while he was just separated although his wife had moved out. I think she's maybe 10 years younger than him. It turns out that his two best friends also are divorced now and are with much younger women who they hooked up with within months of the "end" of their marriages. He was nudging me that I really should get back in the pond. I think he did appreciate my opinion that I would have no interest in dating anyone significantly younger than me especially if it involved getting back into raising children.

He did seem a bit confused when after he asked what I would be looking for that my response was "someone to help me think". I do think that one of the things that I "need" most in my life is someone who can give me the impetus to take action and get me out of my groove. Someone to bounce ideas off of and to in turn inform me with their own opinions and thoughts.

Certainly the women I've dated thus far didn't really do well on that front. My friend suggested that if I dated his ex-wife that she would certainly be able to inform me on how to lead my life. He's still in occasional communication with her despite their kids being mostly grown and said that I'm probably the only guy in the area that she's "not" dated yet. crazy

He feels that she's continuing to actively chase after some sort of idealized life that she just can't find. They split after a long marriage because she had some affairs. Unlike me, he was able to more or less just "let her go" with minimal drama. Bought her out of the house and did the settlement as a single lump sum payment.

Anyhoodles - I've been typing this while processing through the daily plant production numbers which is now done. We did about 50% of our usual production yesterday and should be on track to get things running at capacity again tomorrow I hope. I'll be working from home as I have a tradesman coming by to give me an estimate along with of course welcoming the trick-or-treaters.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my day. Sunday baking and ironing of course. I think I'll go for a nice walk in our lovely village park and poke at things with my stick. I do have the itch to do something more substantial. The village brewery is doing their Oktoberfest promotion right now and I did spend a nice couple of hours yesterday with a couple of pints of their pumpkin lager and a good book of short stories along with chatting with the owners and staff.

I may go for a bit of a drive and perhaps stop by the gravesite of my uncle who recently passed. He was a lovely man - always optimistic and cheerful - a trait that now that I think of it, many of my uncles possessed. I'm down to 2 now who I rarely see - that generation is thinning out as time passes. He's buried at the same cemetery where I have a plot. I noticed the last time I was out that there are neighbours on both sides of me now.
We’re closer than you think, Andrew. That bridge fire you mentioned happened about a hundred miles from my house. wink
Railway bridge in Arkansas caught fire which caused me a bad few days
Originally Posted by Dawn70
We’re closer than you think, Andrew. That bridge fire you mentioned happened about a hundred miles from my house. wink
I thought you were in Canada for some reason - nowhere near Arkansas.

My job title change finally has been made public / official which caused a lot of confusion with my friends. One thing they were all interested in was if I got more money - which no - I'm still being paid the same. So many people are surprised that I'm not pushing for more. I'm making a number that allows me to be comfortable.
You should ask for more if you think you're worth it - often employers take advantage of "comfortable" employees.

He was nudging me that I really should get back in the pond.
What's holding you back?
Originally Posted by BL42
I thought you were in Canada for some reason - nowhere near Arkansas.
I am indeed a resident of The True North Strong and Free.
Hey….Arkansas isn’t so bad and we don’t get nearly as cold as y’all do in the great white north. Lol
I guess my question to you is do you enjoy the new role and responsibilities more than your old role and responsibilities? If yes, I see no problem with this situation. As you say you're making enough to be comfortable and we spend a lot of hours at work. I got a new role and title 5yrs ago that I love. The pay followed later. The role/title in itself made me happy.

I think he did appreciate my opinion that I would have no interest in dating anyone significantly younger than me especially if it involved getting back into raising children.
You don't miss raising kids? With my D about to go to college and an empty nest in sight, I'm undecided if older/wiser me would like another go OR just enjoy world travel. I wouldn't date someone who wants kids NOW, but if I found someone and we had a strong connection spanning a few years, I'm thinking I wouldn't be opposed to trying again.

He did seem a bit confused when after he asked what I would be looking for that my response was "someone to help me think".
It sounds like you should prioritize intelligence when dating. One perk of the XGF I was hung up on so long here was she was an ex Harvard professor. Deep thinker! I'm okay with my career focus being technobabble, but I prefer when my partner can follow along when discussing nuanced topics in business, finance, hr, etc.

Andrew, you've been talking about dipping your feet in for so long. I hope you do soon! I think, like me, you won't have much trouble finding dates (minus your small area) given your stability and sense of humor.
I guess my question to you is do you enjoy the new role and responsibilities more than your old role and responsibilities?
Actually the "new role and responsiblities" are my old role and responsibilities prior to be being dragged into a large corporate project (which was related to my old title from a couple of years ago). My title has just finally caught up to the reality - more or less.

Depending on the day, the pay scale for what I actually do could vary. Because we are a small plant, everyone does a bit of everything. The one thing I like is that if something needs to be done, I can just go do it. The key thing is to not let ego or title get in the way of getting stuff done that needs to be done. I forget where I read it, but I recall a story about someone seeing something and thinking to themselves "someone should deal with that" and then realizing that they are indeed someone themselves ...

You don't miss raising kids?
Nope. This was driven home when I was dating "B" where I was taking them to and from activities, feeding them, cleaning up after them ... I've done that with mine and don't want to start again. It's kind of like a neighbour of mine was telling me, after you live alone for a certain amount of time you can appreciate it.

It sounds like you should prioritize intelligence when dating. One perk of the XGF I was hung up on so long here was she was an ex Harvard professor. Deep thinker! I'm okay with my career focus being technobabble, but I prefer when my partner can follow along when discussing nuanced topics in business, finance, hr, etc.
I've known some academics - to me they seem to lack real-world experience. I have no expectation that others have as wide of a field of interest as I do, but someone with a strong grounding of common sense would do just fine. I think that Dawn appreciates my interest in farm girls as being a good choice laugh

Andrew, you've been talking about dipping your feet in for so long. I hope you do soon! I think, like me, you won't have much trouble finding dates (minus your small area) given your stability and sense of humor.
If past experience is a predictor of future results, that may be the case. Even though I live in a rural area I'm in easy distance of multiple urban centres including many world class academic and artistic institutions along with major industrial hubs. Where I'm sitting right now at the plant is a 20 minute drive from two premier universities including my old alma-mater. A good number of mature people in my area are - in some ways like me - ex-pats from those areas who have moved for the quieter lifestyle it affords while still being close to darned near everything. And checking the census information available, there certainly is a strong contingent of well educated single people of both genders around.

Not that I'm counting on it being "easy" but I like to think that I have a pretty clear idea of what I can bring to the table and what I don't. I like to think that I'm in a place where I've not tied my future to any particular outcome. After-all - correlation does not imply causation.

Right now I'm thinking that perhaps I'll start looking around again in the spring.
I had an interesting encounter yesterday. I was at the open house for the flower shop I go to and was chatting with one of the clerks. She happens to be the first person I asked out waaaay back and long ago. We've remained friendly ever since. A lovely person with a big heart. I believe she has been with someone for the last year or so although I could be wrong. No clue.

As is my usual practice, last week I gave her some Halloween treat bags for her and her son (I think he's about 10 now). She mentioned during the open house that her son continues to be impressed with the chocolate coins I hand out and was actually showing them off and bragging about them to one of his friends.

She also mentioned that she had driven past my house the previous Sunday and her son had grilled her about "where's the boat".

It seems I must have made an impression that has stuck. Or perhaps I'm "the one that got away". I do sometimes wonder if she regrets that our paths went in different directions than they did.

In hind sight, it's probably for the best that we never dated for reasons I've gone in to here before.

PS - Halloween was good. Quite a few less kids than I'd expected despite the decent weather. My new inflatable prop pirate ship was a big hit with the kids and a whole lot easier to set up. I have a fair surplus of candy to deal with though but I have a few people I know who will happily accept it I'm sure.
Andrew, kids remember things like fantastic Halloween displays - heck I still remember one spectacular display from when I was about 9 .. doesn't mean she's thinking of you as the one who got away.
doesn't mean she's thinking of you as the one who got away.
Awwe shucks - let me have the ego boost :P

I heard from 20S today. She's already moved in with the latest beau after just a few weeks - if not even faster as I've not heard from her lately. Let's hope it works for her this time and that she finally picks up the last car-load of stuff she has here. Each time she moves in with a new guy she generally takes some of her stuff.

She's not known for making good choices and had to get a restraining order against the last guy (she took her kitchen stuff when she moved in with him).

First snow of the season that appears to be sticking. I'm going to start some of my Christmas decorating today I think along with the usual Sunday baking / ironing etc. Now where did I put that Michael Bublé CD ...
what's the definition of insanity (20s) ... ugh. wouldn't want to be that age again for love or lots n lots of money.

i recommend Tony Bennett's Swingin' Christmas featuring the Count Basie Big Band for your aural pleasure.
I heard from 20S today. She's already moved in with the latest beau after just a few weeks.

She's not known for making good choices and had to get a restraining order against the last guy.

what's the definition of insanity (20s).

Great minds think alike, or at least our minds do, Butterfly. But I thought the same when I read this. If I had to boil down the sum total takeaway from all of the combined posts and stories here over the many years and from many different people, it would be doing the same things over and over while expecting better results. It really is insanity. But you see it time and again from so many people.
I was out last night to a charity auction for the local Christian youth ministry. I nice time out - picked up a Christmas present that will probably go to my daughter and some unusual art that I was sort of hoping to not be the high bidder on. 20S was there and she brought along the current beau. A decent enough guy although I can see some signs that he's feeling a bit overwhelmed by how one-sided the relationship is. He got along with 20S' dad over a common interest in snowmobiles.

20S asked if she and a few of her girlfriends can come over to my house in a few weeks to watch the Christmas parade. I'll make a big pot of chili I think. I have a new bread recipe that I'm thinking of trying later today. An oatmeal based loaf - fiber is my friend. I asked a friend who has a lot of experience in baking bread about how to ensure it rises best in my cold house and she advised me to put the dough on top of the refrigerator (in a bowl of course). I never would have thought of that.

She told me that my son has signed up for OLD - on Bumble I think. He's not mentioned that to me, but then again, I'm Dad and not a buddy. Nice to know that he's thinking about the future.

I've been spending some time with my friend C more regularly which is nice. Our paths seem to be crossing more frequently and we actually went out to dinner together a few weeks ago plus I bumped into her while out shopping on Friday evening. I believe that her interest is picking up and is perhaps part of why she seems to be around more. She was helping her friend out at the brewery on Saturday and I popped up for a brew. Her friend made a point of inviting me to a Christmas choral event at their church which C seemed very interested in me attending as well. I'll probably go - it should be a pleasant afternoon out and supporting a friend's endeavors is always a good idea. I believe I've been invited to her friend's parent's house after - I'm not sure. It was very busy right then and I was startled at being given someone's home address for what I presumed was a public event. I have the flyer for the event and will check it out. I do think that C's friends are in favour of us being a couple. I'm not sure what I think myself but am not wasting a lot of time worrying about that.

It was funny in part too because the prior day as I met with some friends at the brewery for an after-work beer, one of the staff made a point of introducing me to a new neighbour. A nice seeming lady who has just bought a house around the corner from me and is working on renovating it.

After I get my Sunday morning reading and plant reporting updated, I'm intending on heading out for brunch with my son. The weather has been dirty for the past few days but I think it will be ok. I'm going to do a bit of Christmas shopping after and then home for housework etc. I made him some apple crisp and have packaged up some sauerkraut for him that I got at a local fair recently. The smallest amount they had for sale was 5lbs which is a lot for me.

Happy Sunday all.
Yes , top of the fridge is a good place to raise bread since warm air rises. I’ve had good success with putting it in the microwave (NOT turned on) - the enclosed space keeps it warm and moist, especially once the yeast starts working, as it generates a little bit of heat in its own.
AndrewP,
I've been spending some time with my friend C more regularly which is nice. Our paths seem to be crossing more frequently and we actually went out to dinner together a few weeks ago plus I bumped into her while out shopping on Friday evening. I believe that her interest is picking up and is perhaps part of why she seems to be around more.
Ask her out in a romantic capacity! Life is short.
Feeling a bit blah today probably in part due to an event last night.

I was out for a walk in the village and heard loud arguing. As I got closer, it was obvious that a domestic dispute was happening with one person sitting on the curb and another yelling at them.

I was noticed observing and the man approached me "what do you think you're doing". I responded that I was just making sure everyone was ok. He backed off but was unhappy. A car showed up right then and picked up the woman who first came over and thanked me for watching.

Sad.

---

I'm rather worried about one of my co-workers. His wife has been struggling with COPD for quite some time and has ended up in the hospital. They thought it might have been COVID but it's not. He was hoping that she might have been released on Friday and left work early to go see her. We have about 17 tonnes of nitric acid coming in on Monday that he's the only one who knows how to deal with it. Hopefully he's gotten good news over this weekend.

---

In more positive news, I'm going to be having brunch with my son shortly. I'm also hoping to perhaps swing by a craft show that is in that geography but am unsure of the timing as I also want to get some baking done. I picked up my Christmas tree yesterday and hope to get it up today. It's part of my tradition to have that for when the village parade happens which is later this afternoon. 20S is planning on stopping by with some friends and I have a big pot of chili started for us to share. I've also set up a live-stream for the parade on my personal web-site and will be recording a copy to post later.

One more charitable donation to make today to the local hospital foundation and my Christmas giving is done. I've been extra generous to the local food bank this year as I'm sure there are a lot of people struggling. Over-all my donations are up about 50% from last year.

Hopefully once I get out and about I'll shake this blah. I know that part of it is that I'm just feeling lonely and there's nothing to be done about that. Seeing that domestic situation last night certainly reminded me that it's better to be alone than with someone who isn't good for you. Despite my writing about "C", I'm still not in a place myself where I feel that I'm able to open myself up again. The last situation which was over 2 years ago now still has me feeling skittish.

Happy Sunday all, and for those who can, feel free to watch our little parade. It's supposed to be starting at 5:00 pm EST.
Well that was an exhausting weekend.

I had a decent brunch with my son. Sadly he was in one of his moods and had a lot of anger to let out about the state of the universe, the very real difficulties in getting ahead these days as a young person and possibly his Christmas plans. Being as I had decades of dealing with his mother who had similar anger issues and I hope have grown in the intervening years, I just let it roll off. He never said anything explicitly beyond that he "had other commitments" for Christmas day so we'll be celebrating on the 26th. He didn't seem happy about his "other commitments" either - I'm presuming he's being obliged to show up to some sort of family thing on his mother's side. Something that he never enjoyed.

I do find the negativity tiring but at least I don't tiptoe around it like I used to with his mother. I just nod in the right spots and validate that yes, political politics, housing, finances do indeed svck.

The friend who was supposed to show up to watch the parade with me was a no-show. I texted her later and she said that she had been sick. Sigh, she could have at least told me in advance before I made a large meal and did a bunch of cleaning.

The parade was one of our best in recent years. I'm putting the video together that will include sound right now which I'll post online later. I waved vigorously and wished one and all including the random cars that ended up accidentally joining the parade a very Merry Christmas.

I did get my tree up and decorated with only minor injuries. There certainly are times when an extra pair of hands can be useful. Had a bowl of chili and some fresh bread and then "very" early to bed because I was tired and just didn't want to deal.
Seems I'm jumping on a band-wagon. I've had a few dreams lately about being in a relationship and they were for the lack of a better word, "comfortable".

I'm setting myself a target of mid-March, so after my 59th birthday. If nothing organically hasn't happened by then, I'll consider putting some effort into reaching out to others.

Things have been sort of busy with work. We have a lot of cranes on site lately moving things around in the plant and finally the old "93" tower is being demolished. So I go out and take pictures from time to time from a safe distance. I was showing some to my boss and he suggested that they be indexed and labeled and then smiled when I said that 90% of the labels would be "cranes are cool". I do have a lot of respect for those operators and riggers who can take an awkward and unwieldy object, lift it more than 100' into the air and then set it down gently right on the button.

We've also been doing some hiring lately with 2 more engineers being on boarded and as of January an admin person who will be starting out as a maternity replacement. I was joking with the other admin staff that since I'll be on vacation when she starts that they'll have a week to prepare her for me crazy

That big corporate project continues to drift towards doom. Sad in many ways but I'll continue to do my part and continue to work on the assumption that it will be a success but also having the backup plans in my pocket. I'm pretty sure that the senior leadership is exhausted with the delays and the excuses from the project leads. Corporately we've lost a few key players that haven't been replaced and I honestly can't see us being able to be resourced enough to have this work. But it's not my call. I had a chat with one of my colleagues the other day who was suggesting that I should be brought back into corporate and put in charge of these areas with a substantial pay rise, but it would take a lot of persuading to get me to leave the front lines at the plant.

---

In other news I have new neighbours. The side of the duplex to the west of me has activity and I bumped into the person who lives on the other side and they mentioned that a younger mother/daughter have moved in and that they seem like nice people. I'm going to have to be more diligent about closing my curtains on that side of the house I suppose. If I do some baking this weekend, I might take some over as a "welcome to the neighbourhood" gift.

It will be nice to have neighbours on that side again. The older lady who passed this fall was pleasant enough but I rarely saw her. And the young lad who moved in to the house on the East side of me is never out and about. I see his parents more than him.

I have made the decision that starting this year, that I'm going to start making my own Christmas traditions that are independent of the kids. They are both adults and have other demands on their time and so going forward I can reasonably expect that many Christmas mornings it will be just me and the cat. So this year, I'm going to indulge myself with some self-care and start the day with a nice breakfast, nosh on my stocking contents (Santa just seems to know what I like), do some baking and maybe go for a hike. Spending time with a good book and cheesy Christmas movies is also on the list. I also want to make myself a special but small dinner so need to figure out what I'll do for that. I don't want too much as there will be the big dinner with my son on the following day.

---

I was a bit surprised on Thursday when I was heading "in to town" to pick up something that my xW's house has no Christmas decorations up. In past years there has been something basic done, albeit even more basic than the few lights and decorations I have here. Although in hind-sight, it was generally me who did all of the decorating and was the first to start the Christmas music. I do so love this holiday, actually most of the celebrations that occur that remind me of how so very thankful I am for all of my good fortune. Ah well - none of my concern on what is going on in her life. I just send the payment each month and each month, she continues to stay away crazy

Next year will be the last full year of making alimony payments. Phew - it's been a long road for that. I'm fortunate in that the tax benefits help with some of the cost as it directly reduces my taxable income and I file forms to take advantage of that each pay. The following year since there will only be three payments I don't think I'm going to bother with that and just get a bigger than usual tax refund.

Given that I expect that alimony is at least 1/3 of her income and maybe as much as 1/2, I would imagine that the count-down is a topic of thought on the other side as well. It makes me grateful that I negotiated that neither party can ask for the agreement to be re-opened. Although since she and OM have been living together for quite some time she'd have a hard time I think justifying re-opening the agreement. It certainly would be an expensive thing for her to even try. Given how the cost of living has gone up in the 5 years since we negotiated the payment the fixed amount she gets is undoubtedly buying less and less each month. Fortunately for me, I've done decently in getting pay rises in recent years and am actually to the point I think where my net pay is back to what it was 5 years ago before I started paying her. Although inflation is certainly hurting my own budget quite a bit despite that.

6 months after I'm done paying her off, my car is paid for as well so that will be a nice change to the monthly cash-flow. All of the extra cash is intended to pay down the mortgage which I wouldn't have except for the divorce anyway.

Should be a good weekend of taking things slow. There's essentially no-where I have to be at any particular time other than the flower shop and bakery where I'm expected to be boring and predictable / consistent and reliable in showing up when and as expected wink

I have a light switch that's been needing to be replaced for a couple of weeks to do plus the sort of usual baking, cleaning etc that every household needs. There's a couple of home automation projects that I've been wanting to spend some time on that hopefully I can tinker with as well. I've replaced my timers that are used with my Christmas lights with smart plugs and also installed "in use" outlets outside so that's been neat.

I have noticed as I get closer to re-opening myself to dating that I've also become a lot more careful in what I post on social media including places like this. Those of us who indulge do indeed leave a digital trail and there's also what I want to be seen by those who may be lurkers in the shrubberies. So while there's a bunch of things going on that I'd like to explore, I'm keeping it boring here.

Odd to think that it's now coming up on 7 years since my xW (to the best of my knowledge) started her affair in earnest. Where does the time go. There had always been rumours of her being unfaithful that really came out after we split. I do miss being part of an intact family and regret the loss of the future that I had expected.
Originally Posted by Sir Terry Pratchett, I Shall Wear Midnight
There have been times, lately, when I dearly wished that I could change the past. Well, I can’t, but I can change the present, so that when it becomes the past it will turn out to be a past worth having.
I think that one thing that is very different from my last attempt at dating over 3 years ago, is that I now have no expectation of "success". Back then, and as friends assured me that a decent fella with all his own teeth was a "catch" for the right gal. I also am reminded of when I was young and fishing in the Mighty [name redacted] River that ran through the farm I grew up on, of the carp and sucker fish that were the easiest things to catch. They were big fish too, but also tasted like mud when cooked and weren't worth the effort.

Ah well - the tea pot is empty. The plant production has been reviewed and things appear to be chugging along. I have to go over the lab results still but there's no huge rush as long as that is taken care of before Monday.
Good Morning Andrew

I have made the decision that starting this year, that I'm going to start making my own Christmas traditions that are independent of the kids. They are both adults and have other demands on their time and so going forward I can reasonably expect that many Christmas mornings it will be just me and the cat. So this year, I'm going to indulge myself with some self-care and start the day with a nice breakfast, nosh on my stocking contents (Santa just seems to know what I like), do some baking and maybe go for a hike. Spending time with a good book and cheesy Christmas movies is also on the list.

Excellent!

Yes, living sans kids leads to new traditions for self. And when the hoard comes over, those family traditions can still happen. Be it a day or days earlier or later.

I have a light switch that's been needing to be replaced for a couple of weeks to do…

Will work for Christmas baking. LOL!

I just replaced a couple of three way switches at the top and bottom of the stairs with illuminated switches. Really nice with it so dark until late in the morning. I don’t have to fumble around trying to find the switch. And it is a bit of a night light too.

One more year to go with the payments. Very nice. That will certainly ease things financially for you. Debt-fee and sixty. (Rhymes. smile )

Crank the Christmas music my friend and enjoy the season.

D
I also am reminded of when I was young and fishing in the Mighty [name redacted] River that ran through the farm I grew up on, of the carp and sucker fish that were the easiest things to catch. They were big fish too, but also tasted like mud when cooked and weren't worth the effort.

Pretty darn good analogy Andrew. Extra points if you came up with it entirely on your own! Never heard or used that parallel but certainly have lived it most of my life. I've always been a quality over quality guy and often dated better than I may have deserved, at least in the looks department. So I've not had a lot of regrets but have had gaps in-between, sometimes sizable ones. Although every time I listened to well-meaning friends and lowered my expectations and overlooked red flags I often later regretted it. I suspect even though you didn't listen, you now regret it. Still, I find myself again considering I may need to stop shooting so high, especially at this age. Thing is, we all are better at spotting those flags, or at least we should be, so it makes it even harder to roll the dice or take a chance.

Then again, when I've got friends and recently even a family member all assuring me I'm getting more action than they are - and they are all married - and it's not like I have all that much to brag about in recently years either yet I'm somehow still besting them... Well I guess it tends to put things into perspective.

Maybe we just need to start working on acceptance.
That was a busy weekend. I'm working from home today as I have to go see the optometrist later to get another pair of "old guy" glasses.

Saturday I attended a choral concert at C's church. I had a good time. My seat mate was a charming young lady of about 2 years old that would from time to time wander over and just lean against me watching the performance. Her mother apologized but seemed happy that there was a toddler friendly person there. It was a great performance and the charity that they were supporting did well from the attendees.

Sunday had brunch with my son as usual. Sadly the cafe we go to will be closing for a few months due to staffing shortages and the fact that the owners don't want to bother with snow removal so we'll have to find somewhere else for a while.

I did talk to my son about his dating in casual conversation. He's signed up on Tinder and has had zero nibbles so far. I suspect he's not put a lot of effort into his profile but it's a positive thing I think that he's opening himself up to opportunities. One of his friends recently married someone from Thailand which we both feel is rather bizarre and suggested that he could set my son up with a Thai girl quite easily crazy

We also had an interesting chat about his relationship with his relatives on both sides. I know he doesn't have one on my side and it appears that he has pretty much nothing to do with the other either. Kind of sad in some ways. He grumbled about how historically any interactions with his mother's family were all centred around his aunt and uncle and how our family was marginalized. On my side, I know that we're not close and rarely interact but that's just the way we are. I'm glad at least that I've worked on maintaining a relationship with my own kids. It's easy to be busy and let things slide I know.

For myself I'm still not on any apps and am still figuring that it won't be until the spring before I make any pro-active moves. I'm doing ok on my own and as time goes on, more and more I have difficulty imagining what it would be like to have someone else around. Other than a few months 2 years ago, it's now coming up on about 6 full years that I've been partner-less. Which, no matter how you look at it, is a pretty large number. I found this study that says:
Originally Posted by Random Internet Study
Immediately after a breakup, the average person will:

Have a 25% chance of entering a new relationship after seven months.
Have a 50% chance of entering a new relationship after one year and eight months.
Have a 75% chance of entering a new relationship after three years and six months.
So I'm in the 25% club there it would seem. I would imagine for men that the numbers are even higher with more men being re-partnered up fairly quickly. Not that I have any information that beyond the random things I've read here and elsewhere.

I've been having a bunch of dreams lately that involve my xW and us being together. Blech. The anger I have towards her is largely dissipated away. 15 more payments to go. It's good for me that she's just another bill I have to pay. After all these years I can't imagine her having any sort of epiphany and acting on it. I'm certainly not reaching out to her. My only worry is that after that last payment that she may try to hit me up to keep funding her and OM. And that's not a big worry as the agreement is very specific that it is not to be re-opened.

My plans around Christmas Day are pretty much firmed up now. I've decided I'm going to make myself a tourtiere for Christmas Day dinner and just mostly hang out and relax. I'll do a bit of baking as well to get ready for Boxing Day when my son will be coming over. I'm still struggling to get my new bread recipe to work out properly. The first time I did it, it was almost just right and each attempt since has gone the other way. I think that the most recent attempt was over-kneaded and didn't rise because of that.
Merry Christmas from snowy Upper Lower Middle Kanukistan!

We've had a multi-day snow event here that is hopefully winding down today. The drifts in the driveway are probably chest deep having gone from essentially nothing on Friday morning. Checking in on the plant they didn't get very much there but I do know that one of our deliveries yesterday ended up in the ditch. Upright and the driver is ok thank heavens. He was stuck there for some hours - he had to wait first for a plow to clear the road so that the tow operator could tug him out. A difficult operation I'm sure with 40 metric tonnes of hazardous goods on board. Another issue is that this is the only quad axle trailer in the fleet that can carry this size of a load and it's supposed to be re-loaded again today.

I'm also covering for another role for a couple of weeks so will be doing office stuff daily for the next few days even though technically I am on holiday. The plant keeps running though so somebody has to look at the numbers crazy

I was disappointed to find on social media that quite a number of people went out in the last couple of days despite the conditions and the fact that the roads were officially closed. The postings were of people who were in the ditch for multiple hours or even stuck right in the middle of the road. I do hope that everyone was ok but am annoyed that people felt that they were entitled to go out and then risk our emergency services in rescuing their sorry a$$

I only ventured outside twice yesterday. Once to take the trash and compost out and then to pop in to a neighbour who wanted to use some of the duck fat I have for a recipe. I'll probably head out shortly and get my driveway cleared - it may take a while. I'll also probably clear the end of the drive of my neighbour across the street who doesn't have a snowblower.

I'm not expecting the roads to be opened before early afternoon at this point although undoubtedly there are lots of people who will head out as soon as they see the plow go by. I believe my son is spending at least dinner today with his mother which might be problematic as the roads between them are closed.

Quiet day planned for today. Even though I'm working on embracing the concept of celebrating Christmas just by myself, the nagging "something's missing" feeling is there. I've exchanged Christmas greetings with friends far and near (modern technology does have some benefits). I'm going through the daily plant production now and then intend to spend the day puttering and spoiling myself and doing some prep for the big dinner to be made tomorrow.

Even though I did everything I could and more to try to keep my marriage together, I know both in my head and heart that it is for the best that it ended and that a new chapter began. This past year especially it's seemed like I'm just marking time and pedaling to stay in the same place.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading though about how I want to shape my future. There is one spot I found that is a discussion forum for people in middle-age on dating and relationships that has informed a lot of my thinking. I can honestly say that I don't have the answers yet. I do know that the universe itself will place things in my path and that it's up to me as to whether I pick them up or pass them by. To quote a famous philosopher though "just keep swimming". There are lots of parables out there on how it is important to make use of what comes to you vs searching for something that you may never find that have always resonated with me.

Well - I suppose I should find my shovel so that I can use it to find my shed to find my snowblower to find my driveway. And then back inside for some hot cocoa and maybe a soak in the tub I think. Ah the hedonistic lifestyle of the rural bachelor laugh
Merry Christmas Andrew.

My goodness you got a lot of snow in a day.

D
AndrewP,
I've been having a bunch of dreams lately that involve my xW and us being together. Blech.
Uninvited dreams are the worst.

15 more payments to go. It's good for me that she's just another bill I have to pay.
The best metric I've seen on these boards. Looking forward to your post when that hits 0...and wish mine were 15 payments instead of 15 years!

My only worry is that after that last payment that she may try to hit me up to keep funding her and OM. And that's not a big worry as the agreement is very specific that it is not to be re-opened.
Doesn't seem like that should be much of a worry...just say "no"!

My plans around Christmas Day are pretty much firmed up now.
Hope you had a nice Christmas.
Merry Christmas from snowy Upper Lower Middle Kanukistan!

We've had a multi-day snow event here that is hopefully winding down today. The drifts in the driveway are probably chest deep having gone from essentially nothing on Friday morning. Checking in on the plant they didn't get very much there but I do know that one of our deliveries yesterday ended up in the ditch. Upright and the driver is ok thank heavens. He was stuck there for some hours - he had to wait first for a plow to clear the road so that the tow operator could tug him out. A difficult operation I'm sure with 40 metric tonnes of hazardous goods on board. Another issue is that this is the only quad axle trailer in the fleet that can carry this size of a load and it's supposed to be re-loaded again today.

I'm also covering for another role for a couple of weeks so will be doing office stuff daily for the next few days even though technically I am on holiday. The plant keeps running though so somebody has to look at the numbers crazy

I was disappointed to find on social media that quite a number of people went out in the last couple of days despite the conditions and the fact that the roads were officially closed. The postings were of people who were in the ditch for multiple hours or even stuck right in the middle of the road. I do hope that everyone was ok but am annoyed that people felt that they were entitled to go out and then risk our emergency services in rescuing their sorry a$$

I only ventured outside twice yesterday. Once to take the trash and compost out and then to pop in to a neighbour who wanted to use some of the duck fat I have for a recipe. I'll probably head out shortly and get my driveway cleared - it may take a while. I'll also probably clear the end of the drive of my neighbour across the street who doesn't have a snowblower.

I'm not expecting the roads to be opened before early afternoon at this point although undoubtedly there are lots of people who will head out as soon as they see the plow go by. I believe my son is spending at least dinner today with his mother which might be problematic as the roads between them are closed.

Quiet day planned for today. Even though I'm working on embracing the concept of celebrating Christmas just by myself, the nagging "something's missing" feeling is there. I've exchanged Christmas greetings with friends far and near (modern technology does have some benefits). I'm going through the daily plant production now and then intend to spend the day puttering and spoiling myself and doing some prep for the big dinner to be made tomorrow.

Even though I did everything I could and more to try to keep my marriage together, I know both in my head and heart that it is for the best that it ended and that a new chapter began. This past year especially it's seemed like I'm just marking time and pedaling to stay in the same place.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and reading though about how I want to shape my future. There is one spot I found that is a discussion forum for people in middle-age on dating and relationships that has informed a lot of my thinking. I can honestly say that I don't have the answers yet. I do know that the universe itself will place things in my path and that it's up to me as to whether I pick them up or pass them by. To quote a famous philosopher though "just keep swimming". There are lots of parables out there on how it is important to make use of what comes to you vs searching for something that you may never find that have always resonated with me.

Well - I suppose I should find my shovel so that I can use it to find my shed to find my snowblower to find my driveway. And then back inside for some hot cocoa and maybe a soak in the tub I think. Ah the hedonistic lifestyle of the rural bachelor laugh
I think you should ask yourself how are you different than 7 years ago? Are you in better shape, better job, better clothes, better hobbies, better relationships with your kids? If you’re honest with yourself and that is completely up to you the answer is you’re stuck in the sample place. I know you still have your real teeth and you think that’s enough but it just isn’t. You have read my threads and you know how difficult it is for a man to get a match. You need to lead an emotionally compelling story that a woman would want to be a part of in the sunset years of her life.

Don’t go through the motions for another year Andrew.
Originally Posted by DnJ
Merry Christmas Andrew.

My goodness you got a lot of snow in a day.

D
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well. It was indeed a substantial amount of snow. It took me a couple of hours to get the driveway clear as well as my neighbour's.

The good news is that the truck hauling our product was safely retrieved from the ditch on Christmas morning. Roads are opening up around me.

Originally Posted by BL42
My plans around Christmas Day are pretty much firmed up now.
Hope you had a nice Christmas.
I did, thanks. My tourtiere turned out rather well I thought. Just about to start more baking for my son and I to enjoy.

Originally Posted by LH19
Are you in better shape, better job, better clothes, better hobbies, better relationships with your kids?
Other than the last item which I'm doing rather well on, the rest are just superficial. If I was looking to attract someone who is only interested in the superficial, perhaps that would be the way to go. I have no interest in becoming someone I'm not. And for the record, while my health and fitness could be better, I have a good stable long-term job that pays well, dress well and always have and do my best to be active in various endeavors.
You have read my threads and you know how difficult it is for a man to get a match.
I have read them and found them at many times to be cringe-worthy and am unsurprised you have so much difficulty getting and keeping "a match". The whole misogynistic, "red pill", "manosphere" thing is abhorrent to me and isn't at all who I am, nor who I will ever be. If you are happy with your own choices and the results, then good for you. I am grateful that I am nothing like you nor the people you claim to admire. This is why generally speaking I keep anything you post blocked.
Good Morning

We all come from different background and have different life experiences and philosophies and desires and beliefs. Discovering and living one’s own core values and convictions is excellent and admirable. Staying true to who you are, and yet altering that which you believe is beneficial - is our journey.

Remain respectful while presenting and responding to viewpoints. We should hear all suggestions and advice, yet not necessarily heed all advice. And what appears a certain way to someone can be (and likely is) totally different to an other.

D
Are you in better shape, better job, better clothes, better hobbies, better relationships with your kids?
Other than the last item which I'm doing rather well on, the rest are just superficial. If I was looking to attract someone who is only interested in the superficial, perhaps that would be the way to go. I have no interest in becoming someone I'm not. And for the record, while my health and fitness could be better, I have a good stable long-term job that pays well, dress well and always have and do my best to be active in various endeavors.
You have read my threads and you know how difficult it is for a man to get a match.
I have read them and found them at many times to be cringe-worthy and am unsurprised you have so much difficulty getting and keeping "a match". The whole misogynistic, "red pill", "manosphere" thing is abhorrent to me and isn't at all who I am, nor who I will ever be. If you are happy with your own choices and the results, then good for you. I am grateful that I am nothing like you nor the people you claim to admire. This is why generally speaking I keep anything you post blocked.
Seems a bit harsh, AndrewP. A major component of these boards is self-improvement. Becoming the best person you can be. Imo, LH asks a fair question...7 years post-BD are you where you want to be from personal and relationship perspective, or are you stuck in a similar place? Working on yourself and becoming more attractive doesn't mean sacrificing the person you are; we all have areas of improvement.
Andrew,

Looks like I hit a nerve so that leads me to believe I’m onto something. Now is the perfect time to think about what we want to change in 2023.
There are two ways to get noticed: dress well or dress like a slob. Either way, you'll stand out.

Too many men craft their identities around their jobs or home ownership. Most of us have landed here despite having a stable job and owning our homes. More is required. That's what LH is driving towards.

When a sincere question is asked, it's worth examining regardless of whether one respects or likes the person asking the question.

The enemy of growth is closed-mindedness.
Andrew, you have many strengths to play up in your dating profile. You like cooking, you love your cat, you own your home and are financially responsible, you’re a reader and have an intellectual bent, and you like doing weekend activities that many women enjoy such as going to craft fairs. Highlight all of those things in your profile and you will likely be attractive to the right kind of woman for you.
Personal growth is always a good thing. You don’t need to change who you inherently are to appeal to women.

What isn’t going to happen though is the universe dropping things into your path. Sometimes you have to make stuff happen. Change things up a bit. Take up a new hobby. Freshen up the wardrobe. Shake up your routine a bit. Be a less predictable to yourself perhaps.

And I will be honest, but focus back onto your health! As a middle aged woman myself, I pay good attention to that when dating. For me, it’s important to me that a guy sees the doctor regularly and not only when they are sick. That they have a good level of daily activity. It’s because I can see what kind of “responsibility” a partner can become when they don’t take a serious effort in their modifiable risk factors for health.

Everyone gets in a rut. It doesn’t mean they have to change who they are. It just means sometimes they have to take some initiative do things differently.
If I was looking to attract someone who is only interested in the superficial, perhaps that would be the way to go. I have no interest in becoming someone I'm not.
You know as well as most here I haven't had any trouble in the past finding matches. I get that to attract the opposite sex some temporarily lose weight (the self-shaming yo-yo cycling diet pattern) or go from visiting the gym a couple of times per week to a daily habit. I believe in self-acceptance and the confidence that comes with it, knowing our bodies at most sizes can be just right for someone, being vulnerable enough to put on our profile what's quirky and unique about us

Somewhere out there is a lady who values an engineering mind (sapiosexual) or is an avid reader of sci-fi/fantasy like Discworld, or enjoys writing as much as you seem to. And if your profile doesn't get weekly hits from the get-go, you know how process improvement works and will take the necessary steps to test and tweak it until you succeed.

Regarding the New Year, it is a great opportunity to think about what changes we'd like to make. As with Sandi's rules, the best changes are the smallest ones we can commit to, the ones we're making for ourselves.
Looks like I hit a nerve

Dang, you're not kidding! Andrew has not even logged-in in nearly 2 weeks! And I see the last guy to post here, Traveler, is banned again? I swear we need a dashboard or scorecard or something to keep lately.

Although Sunday is almost here so maybe we'll get an Andrew update.
Originally Posted by DonH
Looks like I hit a nerve

Dang, you're not kidding! Andrew has not even logged-in in nearly 2 weeks! And I see the last guy to post here, Traveler, is banned again? I swear we need a dashboard or scorecard or something to keep lately.

Although Sunday is almost here so maybe we'll get an Andrew update.
Yeah Andy typically hides for awhile when challenged but this is a long time for him.
Yes, it has been a long time for Andrew....but he may very well be on vacation. I'm sure he'll pop in very soon.
Hello? Everything okay, Andrew?
© DivorceBusting.com